Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3059628 times)

funeral_tuxedo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #42720 on: July 25, 2021, 06:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuckyeah @rocklobster !
I went skating today and landed my first kickflip since I broke my ankle last August. It was an ugly, negative mph rocket but I never thought I'd flip my board again after the surgery. Fucking jazzed <3
[close]

What rehab exercises do you feel were the most helpful?

I'm still doing lots of different stuff - I use a resistance band for stretching/strengthening exercises, I write out the alphabet in uppercase and lowercase with my big toe, ride a bike, swim, do squats, foam role, use a lacrosse ball for myofascial release and I do lots of balance training. @IusedToSkateMore made some wellness/pt videos that I'm trying out too.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #42721 on: July 25, 2021, 06:36:14 PM »
Fuck yeah mate

You guys see in news that phyzer makes girls tits bigger? Psyched
Anyone notice this with their lady?
listen to cosmic psychos

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1924
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #42722 on: July 25, 2021, 07:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuckyeah @rocklobster !
I went skating today and landed my first kickflip since I broke my ankle last August. It was an ugly, negative mph rocket but I never thought I'd flip my board again after the surgery. Fucking jazzed <3
[close]

[close]

I'm still doing lots of different stuff - I use a resistance band for stretching/strengthening exercises, I write out the alphabet in uppercase and lowercase with my big toe, ride a bike, swim, do squats, foam role, use a lacrosse ball for myofascial release and I do lots of balance training. @IusedToSkateMore made some wellness/pt videos that I'm trying out too.

Check out Dr Kyle Brown on IG, his stuff ankle strengthening stuff is great.

+1 on that kickflip, I really struggle with a decent one. The more FS Flips / Hardflips I do, the worse my kickflips get and vice versa. What really helped me was:
- Train my eyes on the tip of the nose so I flick off there instead of off the side.
- Telling myself to get a solid pop
- Get it low and controlled beats high and rocket
- Rolling with decent speed so I still have forward momentum if not my board gets left behind
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #42723 on: July 25, 2021, 08:11:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuckyeah @rocklobster !
[close]

[close]

[close]

+1 on that kickflip, I really struggle with a decent one. The more FS Flips / Hardflips I do, the worse my kickflips get and vice versa. What really helped me was:
- Train my eyes on the tip of the nose so I flick off there instead of off the side.
- Rolling with decent speed so I still have forward momentum if not my board gets left behind

I've got to try going faster.
@rocklobster do you subscribe to Dr Kyle Brown's Old Friends videos from Patreon? I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to pay and if so which plan?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42724 on: July 25, 2021, 08:33:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuckyeah @rocklobster !
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@rocklobster do you subscribe to Dr Kyle Brown's Old Friends videos from Patreon? I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to pay and if so which plan?

I gave the podcast a listen (Corey Duffel episode) and felt like it rambled on, not sure about the videos. Happy to support him for a few bucks a month, I've gotten so much value from his free stuff I feel like I owe his that much!

the.daily.push NBD program looks good too, less rehab and more strength and conditioning for improving your skating. Feels dirty mentioning strength and conditioning in the same sentence as skateboarding, but I'm old(er) dammit and need all the help I can get if I'm ever making it to the seniors division of the 2024 Olympics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42725 on: July 26, 2021, 10:57:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuckyeah @rocklobster !
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@funeral_tuxedo

I'm working on another video or 3, with your ankle specifically in mind. Might be another week or so since I'm kind of on vacation right now, but I plan on having it done in the very near future. Everything I did to rehab my ankle but with a very, very strong focus on alignment, like where the knee points during a lunge or squat, not mildly turning to one side during one leg balance, where the heel is directed during a calf raise/drop. Kind of nit picking, but again things that contribute to my standing/walking posture in the moving day and that my most recent PT did NOT really have a focus on but that I feel really, really contributes to coming back and on the road to being stronger than I was before.

How's that ankle holding up at work?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #42726 on: July 26, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuckyeah @rocklobster !
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@funeral_tuxedo

I'm working on another video or 3, with your ankle specifically in mind. Might be another week or so since I'm kind of on vacation right now, but I plan on having it done in the very near future. Everything I did to rehab my ankle but with a very, very strong focus on alignment, like where the knee points during a lunge or squat, not mildly turning to one side during one leg balance, where the heel is directed during a calf raise/drop. Kind of nit picking, but again things that contribute to my standing/walking posture in the moving day and that my most recent PT did NOT really have a focus on but that I feel really, really contributes to coming back and on the road to being stronger than I was before.

How's that ankle holding up at work?

@IusedToSkateMore stoked to see your new videos. My ankle is much improved and it seems to happen in these sudden bursts but it's still pretty fried and working as a laborer is definitely rough. My first day back at work was awesome but that night I had to ice the hell out of it and take medication to even walk. After that first night it's been better but steady painful. I'm really hoping some NYC pools will reopen so I can do more swimming and aqua therapy but otherwise it's a 26.5 mile bike ride to the beach and back.
The first thing I did was go land the trick I broke my ankle on to get over that fear. It took several tries but I did it and that's a big step towards regaining that necessary confidence to skate again. How's your ankle doing?

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42727 on: July 26, 2021, 02:08:30 PM »
@funeral_tuxedo

What's the trick??? Ha ha ha

My ankle is doing alright. Getting stronger and more mobile every day. Even though its got nothing to due with the cause of injury, ive still got some fear skating due to a sense of less control when popping into grinds- I really just need to get over it and throw down - but over all its good. This injury is really allowing me an experience of paying attention to foot placement and pressure on the sled. Its cool like that! Still swells a bit but I'm house/petting sitting next to a wicked cold mountain river, so i be been popping it in there a few times per day and rocking out!!!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42728 on: July 26, 2021, 06:27:57 PM »
@funeral_tuxedo

My ankle is doing alright. Getting stronger and more mobile every day. Even though its got nothing to due with the cause of injury, ive still got some fear skating due to a sense of less control when popping into grinds- I really just need to get over it and throw down - but over all its good. This injury is really allowing me an experience of paying attention to foot placement and pressure on the sled. Its cool like that! Still swells a bit but I'm house/petting sitting next to a wicked cold mountain river, so i be been popping it in there a few times per day and rocking out!!!

@IusedToSkateMore - where can I get a peep at those ankle strengthening videos?

Ever since I started wearing an etcetera ankle brace (1 of the few successful things Ronnie Creager has done unfortunately), and using elastic bands for ankle flicks I've not suffered a debilitating tweak. When I do it's very minor and can usually walk it off, back to skating in 10 minutes.

Thankfully I'm living in the tropics so I don't have to deal with the cold messing up my joints and bad ankles.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #42729 on: July 27, 2021, 04:48:24 AM »
@funeral_tuxedo

@IusedToSkateMore a fucking slappy noseslide shuv out. Ha. I was so embarrassed that that trick took me out for almost a year. Anyways, stoked to see your new videos.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42730 on: July 27, 2021, 09:25:08 AM »
Expand Quote
@funeral_tuxedo

[close]

@IusedToSkateMore a fucking slappy noseslide shuv out. Ha. I was so embarrassed that that trick took me out for almost a year. Anyways, stoked to see your new videos.

Slappies SLAAAAAP! especially slide variations. I'm way more likely to bite the dust on nose slides than grinds. What's maybe more embarrassing is that I've been playing with 7plys of wood on alloy and wheels for 25 years or so and just learned the art of slappy about 7 months ago.... Anyways, super stoked for you!

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #42731 on: July 29, 2021, 03:24:43 PM »
finally unlocked slappies. At last, I can skate my age.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #42732 on: July 31, 2021, 05:31:47 AM »
One of my co-workers told me they have old photos of blaize blouin and peanut brown at trashmore. I can’t wait to see em

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #42733 on: July 31, 2021, 10:35:03 AM »
Got an iPad Pro for taking notes in school, and I gotta say I’m pretty stoked on it and the whole digital note taking process
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #42734 on: July 31, 2021, 08:37:06 PM »
It's my birthday tomorrow so I'm driving down to the big smoke to get Domino's pizza tonight. I realise how ridiculous that sounds but I live in fucking nowheresville and the local pizza is so hilariously bad that the best option is to drive 90 mins for Domino's. Haven't had pizza in ages, pretty keen.
Also stoked on all the injury comeback stories in here, I'm turning 39 and the thought of some stupid slam taking me out for good is much more scary than it used to be. Love to see a comeback.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #42735 on: July 31, 2021, 11:54:05 PM »
Got married to my girlfriend of 10 years!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #42736 on: August 01, 2021, 12:44:56 AM »

Well done, congratulations!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42737 on: August 01, 2021, 12:56:22 AM »
Park got rained out in the morning, skated the car park nearby which just happened to have low and rounded curbs. Did my first bs 50-50 snappy but couldn't hold onto the exit. It was easier than I expected, had to leave my popping muscle memory at the door, just shift my weight to my toes to tilt ip the trucks slightly. Got kicked out by security but I'll take it.

Expand Quote
[close]

Well done, congratulations!

Yeah dude, treat her good!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #42738 on: August 01, 2021, 06:51:34 AM »

Fuck yeah, congrats!!

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #42739 on: August 01, 2021, 01:37:46 PM »
13 years together with my GF.

AND...

She's still cancer free.

Fhk

« Reply #42740 on: August 01, 2021, 01:49:56 PM »
13 years together with my GF.

AND...

She's still cancer free.
Awesome!!!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42741 on: August 02, 2021, 01:44:55 AM »
I was never a courageous swimmer as a child and I've stayed out of open/deep water forever. Now that I am an adult and paying for my own vacations, I like to get my money's worth and have been swimming for longer distances every year.

This year, me and my wife swam to the famous Bled island (about a 1000 feet), which in itself is not all that daunting, but there was wind blowing almost directly in our faces and the swim was quite sketchy out in the open. Lo and behold, the next day had completely calm waters, but we didn't have time to do it again.

Seems like a small thing, but I am very proud to have done it. Next year I'll be buying a safety buoy, just to be on safe side.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #42742 on: August 02, 2021, 01:45:43 AM »
I got fully vaccined 3 days ago. In a month ly job contract will come to an end. Hyped on that.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #42743 on: August 02, 2021, 04:08:30 AM »
Today’s newspaper got sent to my store before I clocked out for lunch right now. Read that Kanten Russell came n helped to build a ‘skate spot’ here in HB at the same park where Brad Hayes had a bit of clips.

Kinda bummed I’m outta the loop that I just found out about it but got tomorrow off so lookin forward to hit it up soon.

Read that it is temporary but I’ll take advantage of it while it’s here...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42744 on: August 02, 2021, 07:50:46 AM »
I was never a courageous swimmer as a child and I've stayed out of open/deep water forever. Now that I am an adult and paying for my own vacations, I like to get my money's worth and have been swimming for longer distances every year.

This year, me and my wife swam to the famous Bled island (about a 1000 feet), which in itself is not all that daunting, but there was wind blowing almost directly in our faces and the swim was quite sketchy out in the open. Lo and behold, the next day had completely calm waters, but we didn't have time to do it again.

Seems like a small thing, but I am very proud to have done it. Next year I'll be buying a safety buoy, just to be on safe side.

Props dude, having your partner by your side doing this mad shit is the best. Did you guys do both ways or just 1? Either way, 2km of swimming (40 laps) is no joke.

My wife and I hiked down and up the Grand Canyon Southern Rim in 1 day, thought we were reasonably fit and there were hikers who could do it in 4-8 hours, EVEN THOUGH GUIDES ALWAYS ADVICE AGAINST RIM-RIVER-RIM. Managed to make it out after the sunset around 7pm, good thing it was spring and we had a full moon to illuminate the path up. Haven't been able to do any adventurous stuff since COVID, but we definitely want to get back out in nature soon. I don't think we were in imminent danger (had plenty of water, good, could have brought warmer clothes) but legs were completely shot the next day with some amazing (and stupid) memories.

Fuck it, giving her a hug.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42745 on: August 02, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Props dude, having your partner by your side doing this mad shit is the best. Did you guys do both ways or just 1? Either way, 2km of swimming (40 laps) is no joke.

My wife and I hiked down and up the Grand Canyon Southern Rim in 1 day, thought we were reasonably fit and there were hikers who could do it in 4-8 hours, EVEN THOUGH GUIDES ALWAYS ADVICE AGAINST RIM-RIVER-RIM. Managed to make it out after the sunset around 7pm, good thing it was spring and we had a full moon to illuminate the path up. Haven't been able to do any adventurous stuff since COVID, but we definitely want to get back out in nature soon. I don't think we were in imminent danger (had plenty of water, good, could have brought warmer clothes) but legs were completely shot the next day with some amazing (and stupid) memories.

Fuck it, giving her a hug.

Yes, we swam back as well. It was 1000 feet or 330m each way. We did the same distance last year over a small bay in the Bohinj lake, but the water was completely calm back then. Wind and waves in your face make it a whole different ballgame.

We'll be back, since we currently live 50min drive away and are buying a house that is 1h drive away. Bled and Bohinj lakes are both properly-rated, 1st-class swimming, incredible ambient.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #42746 on: August 02, 2021, 02:00:49 PM »
Monday night is pizza night. I've got multiple places that do cheap pies on Mondays to go to. Food is happiness.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 06:17:00 PM by L33Tg33k »
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #42747 on: August 03, 2021, 03:35:30 AM »
I just got a raise from $18.25 an hour to $23 and told I’m being considered for a huge promotion and I’m fucking floored.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #42748 on: August 03, 2021, 05:33:49 AM »
I just got a raise from $18.25 an hour to $23 and told I’m being considered for a huge promotion and I’m fucking floored.

Hell yeah dude! Getting surprise raises/promotions is the best.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42749 on: August 03, 2021, 07:36:51 AM »

Wow that's a big raise proportionate to your current, get those life hammers!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m