Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3057479 times)

Stu Pickles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 96
Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #41880 on: October 02, 2020, 02:57:38 PM »
Jim T. hooked it the fuck up  thanks again buddy!
2 Thunders 148's hollow and standard team editions
3 sets of wheels  52mm & 53mm Classics and Krooked cruiser wheels
Some stickers and wax along with a mask.. which I'm hyped for.

Im stoked on the decks in the background! I completely missed those when they came out, what a strange but awesome collab

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #41881 on: October 02, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »
Who knows what I'm stoked about?

Ha fuckin ha! Plz let Ted Cruz be next
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41882 on: October 02, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »

If enough of them GOP senators get taken down with covid19, maybe they can keep that justice out of RBG's seat.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41883 on: October 03, 2020, 04:42:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If enough of them GOP senators get taken down with covid19, maybe they can keep that justice out of RBG's seat.

I don't think that's going to happen. I'm sorry but I swear all those fuckers are going to get there's within 5 years.
(A)pl(E)

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #41884 on: October 03, 2020, 05:05:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I don't think that's going to happen. I'm sorry but I swear all those fuckers are going to get there's within 5 years.

Too bad that we have to act within ~7 years to leave a planet inhabitable for future generations, and I doubt Biden will be doing too much to help out.
That said, history will not be kind to them. Once the boomers die out, their base will only be the 200 or so weird right wing YouTube video in their truck types.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #41885 on: October 03, 2020, 07:04:57 AM »
Was coming in to say new decks that make your entire set-up feel brand new again for some reason, but now I need to add @rocklobster figuring out 360 flips, I'm stoked. Talking about that trick so much helped me get better at it myself too, to be honest, I'm having fun with it. And @tzhangdox don't be so hard on yourself, I've seen you give out tips for tricks I can't do for shit.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 96
« Reply #41886 on: October 03, 2020, 07:55:54 AM »
Was coming in to say new decks that make your entire set-up feel brand new again for some reason, but now I need to add @rocklobster figuring out 360 flips, I'm stoked. Talking about that trick so much helped me get better at it myself too, to be honest, I'm having fun with it. And @tzhangdox don't be so hard on yourself, I've seen you give out tips for tricks I can't do for shit.

I lurked that thread on 3 flips and now I am way more consistent with them :) your tips really helped, pretty stoked

Featherdale wildlife park

« Reply #41887 on: October 03, 2020, 08:28:09 AM »
Rug rats. Thanks stu 👏👏👏

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #41888 on: October 03, 2020, 09:11:09 AM »
I have cable TV at home, which I haven't had for over twelve years (long story), and ordered a mainly news/sports package. Stoked to be able to watch the French Open and also on 18-year-old Leyla Fernandez, she seems like she's going to grow into a legend.

Just wish so many tennis players wouldn't pump their fists after scoring points every single time, it's wack.

Skeleton Pudding

• Rep: 11
  • A liver and a frighter
« Reply #41889 on: October 03, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »
Here are a few things for me that are making the pandemic bearable:

Almond croissants
Skating ditches with soft Powell Rough Rider wheels
Learning Python
Reading non-fiction books
Revisiting 30 Rock
Listening to the Casefile podcast
Saturday morning bike rides

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #41890 on: October 03, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »
sToKed on L.i.F.e.
mArLeY

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #41891 on: October 03, 2020, 01:47:47 PM »
Played poker a lot through college and after and have always been pretty decent. Took a long break and got back into it and have been studying while grinding low level multi-table tournaments. Deposited $120 and have ran up my bankroll to over $4,500 in th last 4-5 months. I've gotten a lot better at bankroll management and game selections. Any SLAP poker players out there?

Irvine-Sucks.com

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41892 on: October 03, 2020, 02:50:25 PM »

Boom fer real.

Good job
(A)pl(E)

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #41893 on: October 03, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #41894 on: October 04, 2020, 01:01:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I lurked that thread on 3 flips and now I am way more consistent with them :) your tips really helped, pretty stoked

@silhouette - thanks for the shout out, I've not landed one all week, rough ground coupled with a really steep and long Santa Cruz deck have given me too many excuses, plus I love skating the ledge / rail at the park more than flat ground. Every time I see an older dude struggling with them I tell them whatever you told me and the Ben Degros video. Least I can do is to spread the knowledge to others struggling with it.
What's interesting is the older guy (probably same age as me) I was skating with today told me that he had been taught to put his back foot in the pocket, front foot behind the bolts, and he could not do them either. Which was the same thing I was told when I first started trying them in my youth. Seems like in the recent past (maybe 5-8 years ago?) people started evolving the trick to better suit how it felt. I see lots of kids having good 360 flips (light and floaty ones) but struggle with other basic flip tricks. The older guys have a much more forceful 360 flip, really scooping the ever loving hell out of their tail.

Finally landed BS 5-0s on a taller ledge at the park. I had this one in my youth but never took it to anything higher than shin high before. Some encouragement from an old timer and I banged one out after 15 tries.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #41895 on: October 04, 2020, 04:20:40 AM »
Played poker a lot through college and after and have always been pretty decent. Took a long break and got back into it and have been studying while grinding low level multi-table tournaments. Deposited $120 and have ran up my bankroll to over $4,500 in th last 4-5 months. I've gotten a lot better at bankroll management and game selections. Any SLAP poker players out there?

Yeah mate but I haven’t played properly in a couple years. Just chill low stakes games with the boys now. I enjoy gambling on sports and politics though.  Bet on brexit and did ok haha, that’s the last dope come up I had.

That’s a good run you’re having, fuck yeah mate. Do you bet a percentage of your roll or you still on the smaller bets?
Reason I ask is whenever I did ok and I’d up the stakes it wouldn’t really work out for me. Even now with the betting I prefer higher volume of lower stake bets. Probably all coincidence idk
listen to cosmic psychos

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41896 on: October 04, 2020, 04:25:48 AM »
What's interesting is the older guy (probably same age as me) I was skating with today told me that he had been taught to put his back foot in the pocket, front foot behind the bolts, and he could not do them either. Which was the same thing I was told when I first started trying them in my youth. Seems like in the recent past (maybe 5-8 years ago?) people started evolving the trick to better suit how it felt. I see lots of kids having good 360 flips (light and floaty ones) but struggle with other basic flip tricks. The older guys have a much more forceful 360 flip, really scooping the ever loving hell out of their tail.

Ah but all tricks evolve that way all the time though, for instance you don't really see kids learn kickflips the way people used to do them in 1995 or 1998 - every new generation typically 'refines' optimal technique on every possible maneuver, but the cons is you lose a lot of the quirkiness and spontaneity that used to make wilder styles, at least I know I appreciate and like seeing people with raw ways of doing tricks. For instance as far as 360 flips are concerned, I remember being quite fascinated by Cyrus Bennett's around the Mama's Boys era, he had the most fucked up foot placement, flick and form on those at the time yet made them look casual.

I'm on the same boat with receiving little to no help with that trick as a kid and having to figure it out by myself so by default I first learned the forceful ones, and I always kind of disliked the light little 360 flips people do nowadays that might as well be no-pop shuvs so I never tried to learn them like that, but I can see how they work and witnessing some helped me get a better grasp on the principle of the trick too. Like I was saying in that other thread, the popped ones are pretty much a different beast on rough ground, as you need to really pop against the terrain and insist on the leverage on the scoop there (whereas on smooth ground you're pretty much working with the surface), but you'll get there eventually.

Doing them recently I realized I was doing them in three mental steps, first mental step is to make sure my front foot is properly nested flat inside the concave at the right angle with the right spot over the center of the board (finding that sweet spot ensures that you won't miss the flick), second step is to make sure the big toe on my back foot comes hugging the tail the right way, third step is locking the shoulders and hips in position to make sure I won't try and body varial away from the trick and the board will stay under me, and if the feeling is right throughout those three steps then I commit for certain because then I know I'm in control of what's going to happen and thus nothing can really go wrong.

Also that's great @Stu Pickles, I'm stoked.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #41897 on: October 04, 2020, 08:18:40 AM »
360 flip talk

i've been trying to relearn 360 flips for years now. i tried to learn the no effort/ no pop version and it sucks and isn't fun.

i used to have them super good until i popped my ankle on one like my foot is a bottlecap. i just can't right stay over it anymore, it's so weird. i can still flip them fairly good and high, but it's like my backfoot now refuses to do anything to get on the board. tried to learn the non popped ones because i figured they'd be easier to keep under me but they feel unpleasant to try.

something i never got back was that personal sweet spot with footplacement for that trick. it used to be like foot placement is everything, then i would just pop and everything fell into place. there was a distinct feel of tension building up in the board that is somewhat unique for 360. i have trouble finding that footplacement and tension again.

but: i feel like i'm close to getting there again and also started to learn fs flips and sw flips. just need to get my damn flick foot on the board again for once or maybe try and land the sw flip one foot just to ride away.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #41898 on: October 04, 2020, 10:07:44 AM »
360 flips have always been my most consistent and stylish trick. Got injured a ton this summer and was practicing just about every other trick so I only did about 3 super sketchy ones over 3 1/2 months. Once my ankle healed and I could scoop fully again, I had the same problem as you where the board just refused to stay under me. Luckily I got them back recently when I remembered to put a bit more weight in my front foot (so it wraps and catches midair), very slightly jump out with the board, and keep the shoulders locked in place. After keeping these things in mind for a few sessions, it’s second nature again

i noticed exactly what you mentioned, how the front foot is super important in terms of pressure, having enough weight and pressure on it to make the board tension up, but also to keep it under you. another thing that didn't really help relearning my fliptricks again was skating shapes that were all over the place. i'll stick with what i ride now for the next few decks so i can keep that muscle memory.

i'm trying to relearn most of my fliptricks, even the ones i already can do, trying to break them down and do them better. now i already unlearned a few bad habits but also have to relearn to do them a little different. i kind of try to skate like i am 16 again but at this age takes a lot of effort to not just give in to just cruise around anddo no complies, ollie and wallie stuff. stoked on it though(to get back on topic), it's fun to relearn all of this and do some proper tricks again.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41899 on: October 04, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
^ Yeah that's how I've tried describing it on here before too, before you even pop you should sense whether or not the pressure on the right spots of the board feels right and you're actually going to form the trick, in reality that's true for every trick (even kickflips) but especially for those that are about building then releasing tension at very specific spots like 360 flips or hardflips. Every time I've lost 360 flips before it was the sense and sweet spots for the trick that had started eluding me, not necessarily the muscular technique in itself (that I was then just applying wrong for some reason), I just had to find 'that' pop again. It's pretty funny how when you're really paying attention to someone skating, those tricks are the kind where you can tell whether or not they will successfully form and land that attempt just from the way they're set up before they pop (so in a way, before they even know it themselves).

i'm trying to relearn most of my fliptricks, even the ones i already can do, trying to break them down and do them better. now i already unlearned a few bad habits but also have to relearn to do them a little different. i kind of try to skate like i am 16 again but at this age takes a lot of effort to not just give in to just cruise around anddo no complies, ollie and wallie stuff.

Also this is cool, I've been on a similar boat for a few years now and I think it's a healthy personal challenge - and it also helps jettison the horrible (and often unrealistic) 'I'm too old and washed up for that shit' cliché excuse some people can be tempted to fall into the trap of as soon as early adulthood.

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #41900 on: October 04, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Jim T. hooked it the fuck up  thanks again buddy!
2 Thunders 148's hollow and standard team editions
3 sets of wheels  52mm & 53mm Classics and Krooked cruiser wheels
Some stickers and wax along with a mask.. which I'm hyped for.

[close]

Im stoked on the decks in the background! I completely missed those when they came out, what a strange but awesome collab
Yo good eye- those are fucking sick!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 07:30:21 PM by fakie butt drop »

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
« Reply #41901 on: October 04, 2020, 07:19:00 PM »
I skate For krux now

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #41902 on: October 04, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41903 on: October 04, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
^ Yeah that's how I've tried describing it on here before too, before you even pop you should sense whether or not the pressure on the right spots of the board feels right and you're actually going to form the trick, in reality that's true for every trick (even kickflips) but especially for those that are about building then releasing tension at very specific spots like 360 flips or hardflips. Every time I've lost 360 flips before it was the sense and sweet spots for the trick that had started eluding me, not necessarily the muscular technique in itself (that I was then just applying wrong for some reason), I just had to find 'that' pop again. It's pretty funny how when you're really paying attention to someone skating, those tricks are the kind where you can tell whether or not they will successfully form and land that attempt just from the way they're set up before they pop (so in a way, before they even know it themselves).

Expand Quote
i'm trying to relearn most of my fliptricks, even the ones i already can do, trying to break them down and do them better. now i already unlearned a few bad habits but also have to relearn to do them a little different. i kind of try to skate like i am 16 again but at this age takes a lot of effort to not just give in to just cruise around anddo no complies, ollie and wallie stuff.
[close]

Also this is cool, I've been on a similar boat for a few years now and I think it's a healthy personal challenge - and it also helps jettison the horrible (and often unrealistic) 'I'm too old and washed up for that shit' cliché excuse some people can be tempted to fall into the trap of as soon as early adulthood.

Tension and release - once I understood this I managed to get my kickflips much more consistent over the past few sessions. Having this mental framework helped me work on new tricks I didn't consider before; I used to think of trick very static and sequentially. For example on backside flips:

1) Set feet up
2) pop ollie and start rotating 180
3) flick your toe at the 45 degree mark
4) continue rotation
5) catch board and roll away

When the reality is much more fluid. @silhouette posts and this video helped me think of skating differently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oBs-qwbuSM

Just stoked on having a good weekend of skating. The BS 5-0 is a basic ass trick but doing it on a higher ledge has been a real mental battle for me the past few month. So many sessions just rolling up to it, doing 1/2 assed pops and not committing to it. I see it as a gateway to me getting other BS tricks on the ledge, especially since I suck at BS trick. Like doing BS Smiths and Tailslides feel closer to being a reality now, hence the stoke.

A homie who i grew up skating with came back to skateboarding with me around 2 months ago. He's never been really good but he's got heart. This year he committed to learning kickflips and while he's not landed one yet we can all see he was closer yesterday than he was ever was 10 years ago. I'll be working on ledge tricks and he will spend hours just trying to kickflip, minimal frustration and always smiling. At the end of the session I asked him how he kept going for hours and failing; he said my determination was inspiring to him. That got me in the feels and I'll be over the moon when he finally lands it. Skateboarding is funny - you can have a session where you don't land anything but it's still the best time of your life.

Sorry to ramble guys, happy for everyone with jobs, poker, birthdays, sponsorships. Stoked for you guys and skateboarding, shalom.
@Justis @RCB3 @Adam Abbas @Stu Pickles @
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 08:03:48 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #41904 on: October 04, 2020, 08:03:31 PM »
I skate For krux now
With their new trucks coming out soon or eventually, too. Good timing dude.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #41905 on: October 04, 2020, 09:01:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah mate but I haven’t played properly in a couple years. Just chill low stakes games with the boys now. I enjoy gambling on sports and politics though.  Bet on brexit and did ok haha, that’s the last dope come up I had.

That’s a good run you’re having, fuck yeah mate. Do you bet a percentage of your roll or you still on the smaller bets?
Reason I ask is whenever I did ok and I’d up the stakes it wouldn’t really work out for me. Even now with the betting I prefer higher volume of lower stake bets. Probably all coincidence idk

Thanks man! I've been trying to stick to standard bankroll management while taking shots where I think it's profitable. So if I have 2k in my bankroll, I'm trying to stick to the bankroll strategy and having 100 buy ins for tournaments, so playing tournaments not bigger than 20 dollars. I mix in 30 and 50 dollar tournaments where I think I have an edge, but usually am playing 3-5 tournaments with buyins ranging from 3, 5, 10, and 20 dollar buyins.

I actually just took a big shot today as I'm a bachelor for the weekend as my wife is out of town with our son and Sundays are the best days for online tournaments. Fired about 1k of buyins and profited $2,520 on the. Super stoked.

Irvine-Sucks.com

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41906 on: October 05, 2020, 02:47:56 AM »
Tension and release - once I understood this I managed to get my kickflips much more consistent over the past few sessions.

Yeah, thinking of kickflips on those terms also helped me get better at consistency on them too, a while back, and what really made it click for me was to stop using too much foot surface for those and instead just rely on both big toes - one on the very tip and center of the tail, the other one on the exact same axis, just mirrored in position and further up the board, over the sweet spot in the concave. The less overall surface dispersing the strengths you apply when popping and flicking, the more efficient. Funny mental image but kickflips seem to work best treated as a 2D trick, where you essentially just pretend you're playing Super Mario Bros and there is no such thing as 3D space, only the straight line of the direction you're going (as it's the only one that matters since you're not turning on that trick), then that's just as many pointless factors (again, specifically on that trick) that will stop interfering with your execution, and you can focus on just the tension and release using your toes until you get the grasp of the form you want on it. Something that I overlooked for many years on kickflips was the role of the back foot in particular, it's tempting to solely think about the front foot action at first but if that motion isn't countering optimal tension over the tail then there's a waste of movement and thus efficiency. I think that's key to getting higher ollies in general too, even when the board doesn't flip. Gotta pretend you're a hieroglyph or something and only the straight line going through the center of your truck hardware exists for a split second.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41907 on: October 05, 2020, 06:13:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Tension and release - once I understood this I managed to get my kickflips much more consistent over the past few sessions. Having this mental framework helped me work on new tricks I didn't consider before; I used to think of trick very static and sequentially. For example on backside flips:

1) Set feet up
4) continue rotation

When the reality is much more fluid. @silhouette posts and this video helped me think of skating differently:

Just stoked on having a good weekend of skating. The BS 5-0 is a basic ass trick but doing it on a higher ledge has been a real mental battle for me the past few month. So many sessions just rolling up to it, doing 1/2 assed pops and not committing to it. I see it as a gateway to me getting other BS tricks on the ledge, especially since I suck at BS trick. Like doing BS Smiths and Tailslides feel closer to being a reality now, hence the stoke.

A homie who i grew up skating with came back to skateboarding with me around 2 months ago. He's never been really good but he's got heart. This year he committed to learning kickflips and while he's not landed one yet we can all see he was closer yesterday than he was ever was 10 years ago. I'll be working on ledge tricks and he will spend hours just trying to kickflip, minimal frustration and always smiling. At the end of the session I asked him how he kept going for hours and failing; he said my determination was inspiring to him. That got me in the feels and I'll be over the moon when he finally lands it. Skateboarding is funny - you can have a session where you don't land anything but it's still the best time of your life.

Sorry to ramble guys, happy for everyone with jobs, poker, birthdays, sponsorships. Stoked for you guys and skateboarding, shalom.

I'm going to try this method. I have a bad landing rate for bs flip up stuff.
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41908 on: October 05, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

1) Set feet up
4) continue rotation

[close]

I'm going to try this method. I have a bad landing rate for bs flip up stuff.

Go for it Banned, I'm far from perfecting it but going from 0 and 3 a session is good enough for me.

Dude from the park yesterday who I shared the secrets of the 360 flips is getting closer to landing one, I recon within the week or so. Always happy to pass on the secrets to the next guy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #41909 on: October 05, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Tension and release - once I understood this I managed to get my kickflips much more consistent over the past few sessions.
[close]

Yeah, thinking of kickflips on those terms also helped me get better at consistency on them too, a while back, and what really made it click for me was to stop using too much foot surface for those and instead just rely on both big toes - one on the very tip and center of the tail, the other one on the exact same axis, just mirrored in position and further up the board, over the sweet spot in the concave. The less overall surface dispersing the strengths you apply when popping and flicking, the more efficient. Funny mental image but kickflips seem to work best treated as a 2D trick, where you essentially just pretend you're playing Super Mario Bros and there is no such thing as 3D space, only the straight line of the direction you're going (as it's the only one that matters since you're not turning on that trick), then that's just as many pointless factors (again, specifically on that trick) that will stop interfering with your execution, and you can focus on just the tension and release using your toes until you get the grasp of the form you want on it. Something that I overlooked for many years on kickflips was the role of the back foot in particular, it's tempting to solely think about the front foot action at first but if that motion isn't countering optimal tension over the tail then there's a waste of movement and thus efficiency. I think that's key to getting higher ollies in general too, even when the board doesn't flip. Gotta pretend you're a hieroglyph or something and only the straight line going through the center of your truck hardware exists for a split second.

i've been skating pretty flat footed for the last years and been also trying to keep more on my toes and it pays off with way nicer kickflips and cleaner pop in general. the flat footedness came from degrading my skating to only wallies and stuff like that, basically the old man skater thing i mentioned that kicked in a few years ago, welcome to slappytown, which is actually just laziness more or less. i remember at the start of the year i posted a little kickflip and line in that one thread and that day was so harsh, i felt like i had zero pop, couldn't get that board off the ground whatsoever. now i got that back and skateboarding is way more fun this way. still wish i had the pop from back in the day but there is still room for improvemen. like just training to ollie higher is probably one of the easier things you can do. if i was able to do most my tricks in flat over two or three stacked decks again i would be so psyched. this already opens up so many things.