Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3057049 times)

Justis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #43110 on: December 02, 2021, 07:53:47 AM »
Finally finished this project I’ve been workin on. Zoom meeting for it next week hahah , skating is funny.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #43111 on: December 02, 2021, 08:10:40 AM »
Expand Quote
It's my birthday, I just had curly fries for breakfast and the King of Macba final is out later, I'm 30 years old hahaha
[close]

Happy Birthday!!!

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #43112 on: December 02, 2021, 09:30:59 AM »
minimalism. not being cluttered with pointless bullshit

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #43113 on: December 02, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »
Went to BJJ last night and got to roll with the guy that has constantly beaten me for the last 3 years. 6’3 245 lbs purple belt mountain of muscles. As long as I’ve trained with him, I could never catch him with anything.

I finally caught him last night, in fact, I almost put his ass to sleep with a tight choke he never saw coming.

Coach saw it and was super stoked for me, hell, even my training partner was happy for me.

Same feeling I got when I landed my first 360 flip.

dofrenzy

« Reply #43114 on: December 02, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
It's my birthday, I just had curly fries for breakfast and the King of Macba final is out later, I'm 30 years old hahaha

Happy birthday!  My 30th was weird, recently divorced then.  My 40th was cool, 2 kids with the “good” wife at that time.  My 50th was one of my best and I started learning skateboarding that very bday.

I am mad stoked on 2 things:

1). Got new stickers from @PuffinMuffin, the left-most sticker is an idea I had called “ShiGd”. The Charlie Brown SLAP and SLAP PALS stickers (PuffinMuffin designed) went up to honor this very SLAP forum and it’s rad user base:

2). Stickers are a serious business on my ramp so I did not apply them until I successfully landed some sketchy not-fully-decked BS rock-and-rolls.  My ramp is gnarly for me so I have been dragging my feet on this last trick in my bag that I could do on a smaller ramp but hadn’t worked up on my *slightly* taller ramp.  Skateboarding is hard and I’ve learned some painful lessons.

But just like everybody else, I feed on the energy of other skaters, and PuffinMuffin’s sticker work got me MAD stoked for this trick.  Now it will be part of every line until I own it.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 02:57:50 PM by dofrenzy »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #43115 on: December 02, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »

I'm lucky I have this. It's as rewarding as skating
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #43116 on: December 03, 2021, 11:11:59 AM »
^ nice setup... having a space to practice is a big goal of mine one day.

speaking of drums... got my first gig in 3 years tonight. some simple selections with my jazz combo. extremely excited. during COVID i took a huge break from music due to my debilitating obsession with perfectionism. started skating more than ever and thats been amazing. but i've been slowly getting back into music and it feels great. its a new type of challenge for the winter months :)

hope all is well with yall.

sketchyrider

« Reply #43117 on: December 03, 2021, 11:38:42 AM »
minimalism. not being cluttered with pointless bullshit

i wish i was better with this, but i have ditched a lot of superfluous stuff in the last several years. giving extra decks away this christmas, no more buying clothes and shoes i don't need.

crazy how having less, and doing more with less stuff can feel so good, but it does.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43118 on: December 03, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
i used to have more shoes and clothes than i could ever cycle through. in college i was dressed well. even thats all cringe bragging though. got rid of everything. books zines everything thats not like 10 days or less worth of clean wearables. even the last board which was done done i was gonna save it to throw down some small to mediumish stairs but i threw that away too. dont like hangons. 1 new backup shoes and a freshie always thats the personal rule now

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #43119 on: December 03, 2021, 02:06:14 PM »
35th birthday today! got a clear billy strings record for a great price, a growler of 10% local cider and a date with my woman at the best vegan burger place in town 🤠

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43120 on: December 04, 2021, 05:09:09 AM »
Just bought a new apartment. Enjoying pizza, beer and a movie with my family to celebrate.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

sketchyrider

« Reply #43121 on: December 04, 2021, 11:13:11 AM »
i used to have more shoes and clothes than i could ever cycle through. in college i was dressed well. even thats all cringe bragging though. got rid of everything. books zines everything thats not like 10 days or less worth of clean wearables. even the last board which was done done i was gonna save it to throw down some small to mediumish stairs but i threw that away too. dont like hangons. 1 new backup shoes and a freshie always thats the personal rule now

Yeah I've ended up with more clothes than I really need. So now I feel like I'll never wear through them. Who wants the same wardrobe for 10 years? Might have to start skating in my nicer clothes to get through them faster, sell/donate the rest.

To contribute to this thread I've been mountain biking a lot and my skating has been improving.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43122 on: December 04, 2021, 12:14:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My 50th was one of my best and I started learning skateboarding that very bday.

Man that is so cool, I respect the hell out of that ! Starting to skate in your 50’s is no joke. How are you liking it so far ?

I hope my body will allow to skate all the way into my 50’s, the last 23 years of skating have taken their toll on my body.

dofrenzy

« Reply #43123 on: December 04, 2021, 01:00:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Man that is so cool, I respect the hell out of that ! Starting to skate in your 50’s is no joke. How are you liking it so far ?

I hope my body will allow to skate all the way into my 50’s, the last 23 years of skating have taken their toll on my body.

Thanks man!  I am loving it but have had some serious slams that remind me to take it easy.  I have an 8-foot wide, 3.5 foot tall mini ramp in my backyard since April.  7 foot radius, about 26 feet long.  Gatorskins surface.  Mellow but super gnarly for me.  I just wanted to learn to drop-in for my 50th but totally fell in love with skating and haven’t stopped.

This shit definitely takes a toll though.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43124 on: December 06, 2021, 04:52:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks man!  I am loving it but have had some serious slams that remind me to take it easy.  I have an 8-foot wide, 3.5 foot tall mini ramp in my backyard since April.  7 foot radius, about 26 feet long.  Gatorskins surface.  Mellow but super gnarly for me.  I just wanted to learn to drop-in for my 50th but totally fell in love with skating and haven’t stopped.

This shit definitely takes a toll though.

As long as you’re having fun, that’s all that matters. Rock n’ rolls and axle stalls/5050’s on the coping will start coming along shortly.

I wish I had learned to skate transitions growing up. We didn’t have ramps around here except a 13 foot high vert ramp from the early 90’s which had two and a half feet of vert. I almost killed myself trying to drop in on it at 15. I still really suck at transitions to this day and they scare the hell out of me.

Stoke of the day: We have a winter storm today, my foreman called me to tell me to stay home because the roads aren’t safe. Over 25 people called off today, they’re shutting down the factory mid-day so people can get home safely. I will be staying in my pyjamas, gaming and getting baked all day. Haven’t done this in years, feels good once in a while. Might even make a big batch of chili later on.

dofrenzy

« Reply #43125 on: December 06, 2021, 06:48:00 AM »
As long as you’re having fun, that’s all that matters. Rock n’ rolls and axle stalls/5050’s on the coping will start coming along shortly.

I wish I had learned to skate transitions growing up. We didn’t have ramps around here except a 13 foot high vert ramp from the early 90’s which had two and a half feet of vert. I almost killed myself trying to drop in on it at 15. I still really suck at transitions to this day and they scare the hell out of me.

Stoke of the day: We have a winter storm today, my foreman called me to tell me to stay home because the roads aren’t safe. Over 25 people called off today, they’re shutting down the factory mid-day so people can get home safely. I will be staying in my pyjamas, gaming and getting baked all day. Haven’t done this in years, feels good once in a while. Might even make a big batch of chili later on.

@TheBoognish, since you mention it….and because I’m totally stoked on it….I am working on my bs rock-n-roll right now!  Still way sketchy but def dialing it in.  Once it is locked in I will retire my Toy Machine and roll some dice on a Zero or Welcome board that are waiting in the wings )When I have multiple boards to choose from I let the dice decide for me).  I just squeegeed last night’s rain off the ramp but might need to sacrifice today’s skate….my daughter’s Pygmy hedgehog is way fucked and needs an emergency room visit today, but I’m practicing the rock-n-roll in my head anyway.

Enjoy your chill day!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #43126 on: December 06, 2021, 07:25:36 AM »
noooo send my best to the hedgehog. i remember meeting them!!

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43127 on: December 06, 2021, 07:59:57 AM »
belgian cookies from costco

dofrenzy

« Reply #43128 on: December 06, 2021, 08:00:56 AM »
noooo send my best to the hedgehog. i remember meeting them!!

Brother, I will send your best and my daughter will DEFINITELY appreciate the love.

I am *still* stoked on our miniramp session, please send my warmest regards to your awesome better half!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #43129 on: December 06, 2021, 08:16:36 AM »
will do!! that mini was second to none..

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #43130 on: December 06, 2021, 08:38:26 AM »
1.Wood stove fired for the first time this winter and the stacks are looking pretty good.
II) My dog is sleeping on me
C: Text from a good friend I haven’t heard from in a while

also @dofrenzy ‘s wholesome stoke - turn your shoulders and point where you want to go with your lead hand - and @uncleflea ‘s pma

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43131 on: December 06, 2021, 08:57:54 AM »
moty. miko of the year

Sharp-o

• Rep: -6
  • WAH! Haippia spotille!
« Reply #43132 on: December 10, 2021, 01:06:24 AM »
New shoes and a free weekend.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #43133 on: December 10, 2021, 02:07:34 AM »
Reaching Pal Status on the day my favorite skateboarder gets SOTY

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43134 on: December 10, 2021, 08:00:06 AM »
Last night I did one of the best 40 or 50 bar singing style freestyles ever done on planet earth.  I am definitely one of the greats.

I didn't record it because my singing has been so trash since before covid and I had no idea what was about to happen. I should have had a clue tho. I was with one of the best drummers in new England going to meet up with one of the greatest song writers in history (by best friend Ian) who was doing their guided by voices tribute band.

We could have made one of the best improve EPs in the history of Boston punk if had had only cleared some space and hit the record button. 

Their guitarist was a certified mutha. What an amazing surprise.
We had basically a super group going

100% muthas.

I may find a full time guitarist for my band NANCY X SPUNGEN. Then I'll just write guitar parts but ill focus on vocals and tambourine live.

I'm not trying to brag. How could it be bragging. I'm only the best at shit that has no value today.

I'm going to pursue this with reckless abandon before it's too late for us
(A)pl(E)

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43135 on: December 10, 2021, 08:28:08 AM »
Going to Anime Pasadena Con tomorrow with my fiance and the OG red power ranger is gonna be there so Im hoping to get a pic with him

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #43136 on: December 10, 2021, 08:43:36 AM »
Found out an old punk friend of mine is a manager at a store that sells Patagonia gear. Gave me a crazy discount, so I guess I have the hook up on that gear.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #43137 on: December 11, 2021, 01:08:17 PM »
Fs crooks

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43138 on: December 11, 2021, 06:20:28 PM »
weathers kinda getting better

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43139 on: December 12, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »
First practice that I added vocals. I can sing and play guitar pretty strongly still. This band is fire.
(A)pl(E)