Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3063301 times)

rhetoric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
  • Sparkalonius Died For You
Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #43320 on: March 03, 2022, 07:20:04 PM »
stoked on no alcohol, narcotics, or benzos for a hot minute now. for real. life is exponentially better

Hell yeah dawg. Keep it up. Wish I could say I had it down like that but im 2/3 the booze still fucking with me I'm averaging a handle every 4 days but at least that's down from 2.
The activity itself is self-explanatory: Use your fingers to maneuver a small skateboard. But many pros like famous fingerboarder Joe D say this seemingly easy fingerboarding requires the same precision and determination as skateboarding.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #43321 on: March 03, 2022, 10:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote
stoked on no alcohol, narcotics, or benzos for a hot minute now. for real. life is exponentially better
[close]

Hell yeah dawg. Keep it up. Wish I could say I had it down like that but im 2/3 the booze still fucking with me I'm averaging a handle every 4 days but at least that's down from 2.

I‘ve been on the wagon for over two years now and it‘s worth it even if it‘s hard sometimes to resist. I went to the grocery store yesterday and they stocked a new single malt I never tried (used to be a whisky nerd) but turned my back on it. I felt like Lionel Hutz.

Anyway stoked I did resist.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43322 on: March 04, 2022, 08:21:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I‘ve been on the wagon for over two years now and it‘s worth it even if it‘s hard sometimes to resist. I went to the grocery store yesterday and they stocked a new single malt I never tried (used to be a whisky nerd) but turned my back on it. I felt like Lionel Hutz.

Anyway stoked I did resist.

"What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of posting on Slap!"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #43323 on: March 04, 2022, 10:37:41 AM »
I feel like I’m about to wake up. I just got even better news than the news about the end of my homeless stretch. I can’t share it yet because it’s legal stuff and it can’t be stopped but It needs to be hassle free.

Anyway just in case I wake up soon I just wanted to tell you all I love you. I want good things to continue for everyone. Covid has whittled me down to a very small group of local friends. If it wasn’t for slap you know what I’m saying?

I just love you and shit
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

dofrenzy

« Reply #43324 on: March 05, 2022, 06:37:13 AM »
I am stoked on the stoke on this page.  I am happy I popped in here.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43325 on: March 06, 2022, 08:32:25 PM »
I got stopped by the cops today buying stuff at the mall was a state trooper. He lied about why.
I was in a fire lane in a spikey coat facing the wrong direction.

He took my if and was not amused. He came back like 4 minutes later smiling and apologizing lol. Lol lol.

I giggle out loud rn.

My record has recently been sealed.

Lololol. I giggle some more
(A)pl(E)

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #43326 on: March 07, 2022, 07:41:20 AM »
I got stopped by the cops today buying stuff at the mall was a state trooper. He lied about why.

He took my if and was not amused. He came back like 4 minutes later smiling and apologizing lol. Lol lol.

I giggle out loud rn.

:D

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43327 on: March 07, 2022, 08:46:07 AM »
Ok I’m allowed to share with you.

After 9 years my brother is coming home. He’s going to be released this week!!!!! I’m fighting tears rn. He’s innocent of these crimes. We proved that shit. The system ain’t trying to hear that. All that matters is he made it he’s coming home.

Soon we are going to crush the system back. We are going to lawsuit the shit out of them.

My brother has asked me to secure him some kicks. He’s asked for some adidas. I was like meh but he isn’t an activist. I’m going to try to change that.

I been tryin to get him rocking Lakai but he’s not having it. I told him it’s nykee technology but he said bullshit. He had lakai when he was living in mammoth almost every winter because he got them from a homie. My brother is a ripper on the snow board. I’m ok at it. I only like pow so I’ve only gone maybe 20x tops.

He has a broken back and I almost got him to get foot prints but he said wut the hell are foot prints. I said you get thrasher in jail just tell me what you want Dood.

He said nykee or adidas or NB. I was like ok. I’m going to take a look and see what the shop has.
Myself if I’m going corporate slaver it’s always going to be a dunk.

Aside from the insole it’s definitely the best constructed skate shoe in history maybe.

I told him I got some Robbie boards and some venture trucks for him he said are they 7.75? I giggled and said 8.25 he was like what!?! I’m like skateboarding has figured it out these days.

This is the best era for product ever.

Besides we started on fish shapes and we mastered this shit on freestyle boards lol. Now we got 14” wb on dope shapes pressed local. And Robbie is a legend man. Fucking zoo York mix tape!

He said what’s up with venture? Why you riding those trucks? You’re a thunder guy. I was like shit changed. Thunders are good but.

Firstly it’s about labour. I support USA products. I’m going to do so as long as I can.

Second there’s no more jock vs punk in skateboarding really.
We’re all pretty united for skateboarding as a whole these days. 
Everyone is down for each other today. My gofundme is the proof.   It’s a minority of people who don’t wanna be down with all of skateboarding. They only seem to care about party stuff in LA or they are homophobic or not really in love with skateboarding.

He said that cool. There’s kook brands still but they are doing their own thing outside of what we do.

He said something like
listen to you talking about slave labour shoes and USA trucks. I don’t give a fuck about none of that. I just wanna skate what I like.

I’m like I’m just happy we’re having this conversation. I enlightened you about their labour practices and it’s up to you what you buy. I back your individuality and I can’t wait to take you back to NYC this spring.

He wants some Tensor trucks again and an 8” DLXSF board. He asked about Daewon and Thank You but I told him those are usually not available at our shop.

I told him about how I support two shops these days mainly Orchard and then as a second Nowhere Fast. Orchard is the foundation of Boston’s skate scene and they treat me better than anyone has since Zito’s.
My brother had 3 birthday parties at Maximus so he definitely listened to me on this. 
Some of our favorite riders are on Orchard.
They treat me with the same respect I try to treat everyone with these days. That’s HUGE to me. They hold me down and their Covid era deliveries are always on time and gave extra stuff in the box. I’ll never walk away from that type of thing.

I’m going to try and get him the trucks he wants but he’s likely getting my old 139’s or I have some vintage Indy that he can pay me for later. They the 6 hole plates. I also have some corners store venture but they are supposed to be for display only. I can’t afford new trucks for him at this time but I’m going to try.

I have no choice but to get the shoes. The man needs to have new kicks when he gets out. 9 years of being helpless against the system’s lies he needs to have what he needs to feel free and safe and loved.
going to get him shoes but he’s can choose either my extra loopholes or he can have a set of my extra spits.
He has never seen F4 wheels.

That shit is going to blow his mind

I can educate him later about why I buy what I buy.

I feel like Buying these products is a form of activism.

China’s about to invade Taiwan then everyone is going to need to come back to America because when war happens we got to FIGHT BACK.

Also I’m down to move to California to help you get back on your feet when we ban Chinese good. I was a skilled machinist back in the late 90s. I definitely will need work when we return to California in 2024 or 5.

The plan is in motion. Everyone agrees that we all must stick together to raise this family.

I have put it out there that I’d move to NYC as a second choice.

I wish I was on better terms with my brother pete. I would be trying to convince him to move as well.

I have like 2 - 3 years to end all petty beefs between them and convince him that the 7 of us should stick together.

We all need to live in our own places in or around SF or inland in rancho or whatever.

Maybe if I showed the kids more videos they will convince him that the future is ours we just got to reach out and grab it and share the good stuff equally.

So I doubt much of this makes sense. My reading and writing skills are so bad after banging my head the last time. I know that I’m right here and this is the path I must take and I must bring as many people as I can.

I will lead us to peace love and safety. People just need to want it and not just blindly follow. That causes problems.

Today is my last day here. I have a blow up mattress and I’m about to throw the cats in the car.

Everything is going so good. I just wish my brother Pete and his fiancé would stop bad pressing me with our friends and others.

We need to end this shit for the kids future.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43328 on: March 07, 2022, 08:52:48 AM »
Expand Quote

I giggle out loud rn.

[close]

:D

It’s was so uneventful I forgot it happened. Lol
(A)pl(E)

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #43329 on: March 07, 2022, 03:22:43 PM »
I bought a silver tool.

I’m never going back.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43330 on: March 07, 2022, 10:17:28 PM »
Star trek TNG
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Tay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #43331 on: March 08, 2022, 08:08:52 AM »
Posting from my decade-old focused account which was somehow a sign-in option this morning. Anyone else experience this? Weird.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #43332 on: March 08, 2022, 08:15:35 AM »
I bought a silver tool.

I’m never going back.

Best of luck to you and your beloved tool. My Silver tool's ratcheting mechanism failed, the tool is now asleep in the arms of Jesus.  :'(
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #43333 on: March 08, 2022, 11:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I bought a silver tool.

I’m never going back.
[close]

Best of luck to you and your beloved tool. My Silver tool's ratcheting mechanism failed, the tool is now asleep in the arms of Jesus.  :'(

If you still have it you can JB weld it and turn it into a regular, albeit very ergonomic, T tool. I did that with mine until I needed $20 to get free shipping somewhere and then got a replacement. It's a pathetic husk of a tool, the file is long gone, the wrench is taped in place, and there's JB weld all over and through the housing but you can still set a board up with it.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43334 on: March 09, 2022, 12:07:38 AM »
I mentioned this in one of the early Ukraine threads that from a pure milnerd perspective I was really curious how Ukraine's western AA systems would cope with modern Russian combat aircraft. Just saw this picture and broke out in a big smile.

For context that's the vertical stabilizer of a SU-34. SU-34 is by any definition a modern strike aircraft, only entering service in the last decade. If you know what a su-27 flanker or even f-15 is then think that but specialized for dropping bombs instead of fighting. Basically these planes are designed to be the first strike, penetrative aircraft and should theoretically be equipped with advanced avionics to avoid detection, tracking, and engagement. And Ukraine is somehow shooting them out of the air with fucking stingers and soviet era AA batteries. Fuck yeah.

Edit: Germany sent them Strelas. Kind of a dick move haha. Strelas are ancient soviet shoulder fired AA, developed from stolen plans for an early US system. Basically they're the Yugo of missiles. They were obsolete in the 70s, I honestly didn't think any western nation still had any left haha. What the hell @Frank?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:27:57 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #43335 on: March 09, 2022, 12:29:10 AM »
Today's been the first day in like six weeks that hasn't been constant raining and I managed to wash my clothes. I was down to wearing old Indy shirts and worn out sweatpants. Little bit annoyed tho because the ocd part of my brain gets to be like "see I'm right to make you buy 8 or 15 of everything"

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #43336 on: March 09, 2022, 02:01:18 AM »

Edit: Germany sent them Strelas. Kind of a dick move haha. Strelas are ancient soviet shoulder fired AA, developed from stolen plans for an early US system. Basically they're the Yugo of missiles. They were obsolete in the 70s, I honestly didn't think any western nation still had any left haha. What the hell @Frank?

I read somewhere that some weapons sent by Germany, most probably the one you are refering to, were stored for decades and show signs of corrosion/etc. Not the best gift

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43337 on: March 09, 2022, 07:19:17 AM »
Landed 5 heelflips today, a trick I fucking hate with a passion. Just got inspired to try them out and landed my first one decently. The 5 from today already bests my count from 2020 + 2021.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43338 on: March 09, 2022, 11:08:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I read somewhere that some weapons sent by Germany, most probably the one you are refering to, were stored for decades and show signs of corrosion/etc. Not the best gift

Haha they sent some stingers too, honestly if shit hits the fan Germany will just use their stuff themselves. My old base (Ramstein) is an absolute flurry of activity according to a friend that still works there. He said he hasn't seen this many flights since both OEF and OIF were kicking.

Ramstein is the major European hub for US cargo flights. Just putting 2 and 2 together,  if flight ops work the same way they t did when I was there then there's probably a whole lotta goodies getting vectored into Western Ukraine right now. Obviously it's hard to get exact numbers but Ukraine is absolutely fighting like a dog and I don't think Russia was really expecting that. They've already downed upwards of 50 aircraft by most estimates (some reports as high as 80) and they're doing a very good job of keeping the Kyiv convoy stuck on the road since they can't go off road without bogging down.

A dictator invading eastern Europe, facing stiffer than expected resistance, and getting stuck in the mud. Where have I heard this story before?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #43339 on: March 09, 2022, 01:42:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i have no idea about the inner works of our military industrial complex. but what i know is that we spend a heck ton of money on defense each year, certainly more than israel for example. and their spending is very inefficient, as most of it gets blown up in the form of ammo in training from what i've heard. or weapons, ammo and explosives get stolen by rogue military trying to build a militant right wing terror group. most stuff we built in the past 20 years turned out pretty shitty in that international armies wouldn't want to buy the gear, vehicles, etc.

i guess sending strelas is all our government/m.i.c. wants to or can afford unless ukraine straight up buys shit.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43340 on: March 10, 2022, 06:04:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i have no idea about the inner works of our military industrial complex. but what i know is that we spend a heck ton of money on defense each year, certainly more than israel for example. and their spending is very inefficient, as most of it gets blown up in the form of ammo in training from what i've heard. or weapons, ammo and explosives get stolen by rogue military trying to build a militant right wing terror group. most stuff we built in the past 20 years turned out pretty shitty in that international armies wouldn't want to buy the gear, vehicles, etc.

i guess sending strelas is all our government/m.i.c. wants to or can afford unless ukraine straight up buys shit.

Haha I was just giving you shit. The strelas were almost certainly leftovers from the DDR days and they would have likely just gotten used for training purposes, so it made perfect sense to send them. You guys also sent like 500 stingers and they're getting put to use already. I actually have a lot of respect for the modern German military, you guys are very well trained and almost everyone I met was what we called a "high speed" troop meaning they either knew everything or could figure it out fast. I'd be just as confident rolling into combat with them as with my own team. Of all the NATO countries I worked with I'd rank them like this in terms of being on par with the US in training and professionalism

Top tier, equal or nearly equal - Germany, Canada, UK,

Very good - Belgium, NL

Wildcards - Poland, Balkan states.... Not necessarily the most professional but I would not want to fuck with them. The Balkan dudes had literally been raised in a war zone and the dudes from Poland were Polish.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #43341 on: March 10, 2022, 06:21:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha I was just giving you shit. The strelas were almost certainly leftovers from the DDR days and they would have likely just gotten used for training purposes, so it made perfect sense to send them. You guys also sent like 500 stingers and they're getting put to use already. I actually have a lot of respect for the modern German military, you guys are very well trained and almost everyone I met was what we called a "high speed" troop meaning they either knew everything or could figure it out fast. I'd be just as confident rolling into combat with them as with my own team. Of all the NATO countries I worked with I'd rank them like this in terms of being on par with the US in training and professionalism

Top tier, equal or nearly equal - Germany, Canada, UK,

Very good - Belgium, NL

Wildcards - Poland, Balkan states.... Not necessarily the most professional but I would not want to fuck with them. The Balkan dudes had literally been raised in a war zone and the dudes from Poland were Polish.

i guess that's sort of true. they train extensively and in close cooperation with other allied forces. also the last 20 years has had our forces seen more combat than ever before. we've been "peacekeeping" all around the world for just as long.

we had so many soldiers in and around afghanistan for so long that we are getting our own problems about vets with ptsd now.

i don't want to migitate the severity of the ukraine conflict, but people forget about the balkan wars, even though that happened not too long ago and was even closer to central europe, even though in peoples heads they imagine the balkan being way out east basically. that shit was insane and parts of the lands are still filled with landmines. i think they still clean up to this day and the relations between all those people are not exactly great now either.

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #43342 on: March 10, 2022, 10:45:07 AM »
there's a possibility that in the next coming weeks i will be able to accept a job offer doing commercial real estate analyst work and i will be able to move in with my girlfriend on the west coast of florida. im so excited and this company really put me through the ringer with this application. i have a really good feeling about getting the job, though.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #43343 on: March 10, 2022, 11:17:58 AM »
Got a fat unexpected bonus on this week’s pay and just learned I still have a week of vacation available.

Also learned starting on April 20th I will now have 5 weeks of paid vacation per year instead of 3 due to it being my 5th year with the company.

Ol’ Boog’s in a damn good mood today.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43344 on: March 10, 2022, 05:19:29 PM »
there's a possibility that in the next coming weeks i will be able to accept a job offer doing commercial real estate analyst work and i will be able to move in with my girlfriend on the west coast of florida. im so excited and this company really put me through the ringer with this application. i have a really good feeling about getting the job, though.

Prepping, attending and waiting for results after interviews are the worst, glad you came out the other on the up!

Also learned starting on April 20th I will now have 5 weeks of paid vacation per year instead of 3 due to it being my 5th year with the company.

Adding 2 weeks after 5 years is a steal, in my country they start with 16 days and give you 1 day for ever 2 years in the company which is pittance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #43345 on: March 11, 2022, 06:42:12 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Adding 2 weeks after 5 years is a steal, in my country they start with 16 days and give you 1 day for ever 2 years in the company which is pittance.

It’s not like this everywhere though. Most places is 3 weeks total after 5 completed years. I’m just lucky the factory I work for has great conditions and is backed by a good union. Here you get 9 days if it’s under a year, 3 weeks after a year, 5 weeks after 5 years and 6 after 10 years. Plus with all the over time, I get a lot of paid time off.

No one wants to work in factories here, so they offer great conditions. The job market is super comptetive especially for factory mechanics like myself here. Shit some people give up amazing conditions to go make less than 1$/hour more at another factory with known shitty conditions. But hey… I guess giving up all that for 40 extra bucks a week (before income tax) is worth it to them.

I could probably make more money somewhere else, but I’d be giving up comfort and a peace of mind I’ve never had at a job before.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #43346 on: March 11, 2022, 11:34:43 AM »
Realized I made six figures in 2021.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #43347 on: March 11, 2022, 06:46:10 PM »
Saw some random clip on twitter of film director Joachim Trier saying he was a “Noeweigan Skatebaord Champion” on the late 80s.  Looked him up on YouTube expecting to find some standard jump ramp footage, and turns out he was some kind of early 90s late flip wizard? 

Makes we wonder how many former skate/skate industry people have made it as film directors?  Off the top of my head there’s Spike, Harmony Korine, Mike Mills, Tremaine (debatable), Trier…anyone else I’m missing?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #43348 on: March 11, 2022, 07:22:25 PM »
Saw some random clip on twitter of film director Joachim Trier saying he was a “Noeweigan Skatebaord Champion” on the late 80s.  Looked him up on YouTube expecting to find some standard jump ramp footage, and turns out he was some kind of early 90s late flip wizard? 

Makes we wonder how many former skate/skate industry people have made it as film directors?  Off the top of my head there’s Spike, Harmony Korine, Mike Mills, Tremaine (debatable), Trier…anyone else I’m missing?
I think I heard Simon Pegg skated but apart from him wearing Osiris and alien workshop gear in spaced I don't think there's evidence. Sam brown of whitest kids u know but I think he is more a writer/ actor.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #43349 on: March 12, 2022, 10:35:44 AM »
I got of work and went to no comply to pick up some shit for the homie who lives in another state. Turns out they had a Heroin 9.25 symmetrical egg on the wall too, so I had to cop that.

SXSW is about to start up, and when I pulled up to the shop I was talking to a few of the homies and I asked why there was a huge crowd of people outside. It turns out Nora, Nicole Hause, Mimi Knoop, Alex White, and Lisa Whitaker we’re there for SXSW for a movie they were a part of.

So I went to no comply on a simple mission to spend $30 and I ended up dropping like $140, and by pure happenstance met two of current favorite transition skaters, and that was rad as hell.

Attached is proof.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.