Author Topic: Cheering for sports teams..  (Read 4705 times)

kevbo999

Cheering for sports teams..
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »
I'm not bashing skaters who do.. but personally, I think it's kind of conflicting with the whole skateboarding mindset.  I'm just really not interested in serious competition of any sort.  I don't care about stats, rookies, records, trophies, being #1, and shit like that.
I see no point in cheering on dudes playing sports, and feeling superior to the opposing team/town when they win.  They wouldn't come cheer for you at the spot.

Is it just about local pride?  An excuse to drink beer and eat junk food?  To be social?  Someone fill me in, cliff?

artichoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Cheering for sports teams..
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:02:04 PM »
I can't vouch for other people, but I grew up with hockey as a big part of my life.  My dad played, I (very briefly) played, and everybody in my town followed the sabres semi-religiously.  I went through a period at the end of middle school where I stopped playing hockey and started skating, raging against the machine, etc.

Eventually I got out of high school, stopped caring about 'jocks' and started to watch games with friends again, and it went form there.  It's just a fun little hobby, or past time or whatever.  I suppose you could categorize it as all of the things you mentioned.

dtrigiani

• Rep: 26
  • captain
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 12:36:06 PM »
I play sports sometimes with friends, and I just love hockey. Even if I never step on a board again, skating is still a big part of my life, but I'm not about to let it stop me from enjoying the many other things life has to offer. I guess I just don't understand that "mindset" that I'm supposed to have.

The only thing I really hate about big sports fans is when they say "we" when referring to their favourite team.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
where the hell did this "skaters are only supposed to like skating" mindset come from? i blame it on transworld video voice overs
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Dr Newton

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »
You know how gothic kids all try to be "anti-conformity" by wearing all black and shit, but then they all do it, and so they are actually conforming to something? That's how I see this whole "one mindset" skateboarders are supposed to have.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:13:12 PM »
sports are so awesome. if you're not watching sports you are seriously missing out. it's so good. you get to watch people do things at the highest level possible, and it's free. it's like watching skateboarding except even more awesome. plus it's mad dramatic. sports can make you cry and shit.
I used to post

blizzy

• Rep: -20
  • keep on runnin'
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:17:50 PM »
i watch and play lacrosse. i've had so much fun doing it and met a ton of new people. how are you supposed to get your dick wet if your sitting in the corner sulking over a bunch of preppie chicks and people who don't skate? stop being a bitch and don't worry about what people think about you

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
I root for the Chicago Cubs, but that's just because they have a long proud tradition of failure. I feel like cheering for a team with such an incredibly long losing streak builds character, and if they ever do win, it will be rad to have been supporting them the whole time. Its also definitely has a certain amount of local pride involved, as well as just kinda being raised to think that if the cubs ever win the world series, all wars in the world will end and peace and unity will reign supreme forever.
I was down for the bulls with MJ, but again, I'm pretty sure that after growing up where I did, if you didn't worship the ground Michael Jordan walked on, you would face consequences.

Right now though, I've been working the summer at the Giants stadium, and NOTHING is better than watching those fucking arrogant asshole fans get dissapointed when their team gets its ass kicked.

But I think in the end, if you like a sport, if you don't pick somebody to follow and get behind, its hard to stay interested.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

kevbo999

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »
I played minor hockey for 11 years, still play pond hockey, and any other pickup sport you can name.  I bike everywhere and I'm pretty open minded towards anything for the most part.  I just don't like supporting professional sports and the mainstream, pop culture, jock image that surrounds them.  How can you trash talk the X Games when other professional sports are just as corporate and egotistical?

TheFrontSeatLife

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 01:58:50 PM »
I'm a basketball fan in particular, but I'll root for any Florida team, preferably a Tampa team. It's not lame to be a skater who likes sports, but it's not lame to be a skater who doesn't.

Go Magic, go Heat.

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 01:59:31 PM »
I played minor hockey for 11 years, still play pond hockey, and any other pickup sport you can name.  I bike everywhere and I'm pretty open minded towards anything for the most part.  I just don't like supporting professional sports and the mainstream, pop culture, jock image that surrounds them.  How can you trash talk the X Games when other professional sports are just as corporate and egotistical?

well, its a double standard, of course. life is full of them. this forum is full of them.

but the way i see it, the reason we all get so butt hurt over a corporate take over of skateboarding is simply because we hold it so dear to our heart. we feel its ours.

now football, baseball, hockey, etc...? just something to watch. something to get into. something to get stoked on. those who play hockey and really love it appreciate hockey when they watch it - instead of just being "entertained". same thing for us when we watch skate videos. so when we look at another "sport", what have you, we get "entertained", in that same mindset. that's not to say you can't be entertained as well as appreciate, though.

just my 2 dimebags.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:02:13 PM by wake and bacon »
:) I must have been tripping last night

HoovUCDC

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »
i enjoy baseball.  well not anymore recently since my team decided to suck the past 3 years.  I'll still root for any team playing against the Yankees.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 02:04:53 PM »
How can you trash talk the X Games when other professional sports are just as corporate and egotistical?
I think that is the biggest problem with the x-games and shit like that. They pretend skating is this competitive thing, when in reality a lot of people are drawn to skating because its so non-competitive. You don't have to worry about being the best, just having fun with friends- instead of hating them and thinking of them as "the competition."
Its the classic idea of "skateboarding is not a sport." But sports are sports, so I personally have a different mindset when I think of them than I do of skateboarding.

oh, and yeah, fuck the Yankees. I automatically think less of anybody who is a fan of them.

TheFrontSeatLife

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
i enjoy baseball.  well not anymore recently since my team decided to suck the past 3 years.  I'll still root for any team playing against the Yankees.

I'm with you. I root for any east coast team, except for the Yankee's. I also agree with The Gipper. It's such a lame bandwagon thing to be a Yankee's fan.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 02:09:07 PM »
Boston Red sox too! They were ok until 2005, then they got cocky.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 02:09:52 PM »
I used to post

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
odd.... you seemed cool...

OldDirtyBastardChild

• Rep: 9
  • Im The ODB And I Cant See
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
hockey is the shit. and being canadian enjoying it was pretty much in my blood from birth. i love watching it and i love playing it on an outdoor rink with my friends in the winter. come playoff time theres a large group of us who get together and get super drunk and watch the games. as jockish as it may sound its probably one of the most fun times of the year for me

tiger woods

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
basketball has/is been a huge part of my life ever since i was born, my father played, his dad played, pretty much everyone on both sides of my family can play. when the nba season is on, its sick watching "your" team play almost every night from november until may. i'm down to watch football when its on cause its pretty damn entertaining.

BriDen

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 03:44:01 PM »
BriDen, tiger woods and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
How fucking ironic is it that I watched golf today.

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »
I'm a big fan of college football...... I used to be the biggest cubs fan ever, but the last 2 years I just stopped watching it. I think the only sports I still watch are College football & College basketball. Seems like they have more fun or something, just put more excitement behind it.

used to have dreams about this when I was little, pretending it was me and my friends.
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

tiger woods

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 04:05:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

senior men's u.s open right??

ALT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »

BriDen

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 04:08:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

senior men's u.s open right??
Quite correct.

gravel pitch

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
I just find sports fucking boring and uninteresting. To me, there is nothing creative or appealing to sports. I'm guessing most people here would find watching professional bowling boring, well that's how pretty much every major sport looks like to me. Just a boring game I don't care about.

I did some sports growing up, played on the school basketball team for a year, played soccer on a local team, and before I got into skateboarding I did wrestling after-school. Once I found skateboarding though, I gave up all that shit real quick, and looking back on it I really can't remember what the fuck I found appealing about any of it.

The most annoying thing to me about sports though, is that most sports fans don't even play the games they supposedly love... how can you love a game when you don't actually experience it yourself? Whatever though, I'll never understand how people enjoy watching sports but if it makes fat guys happy then fuck it, guess it's a good thing.

schlegs

• Rep: 21
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 06:15:28 PM »
For me, the Redskins are a higher priority than sleeping
That punk ass ginger is always rubbing one out somewhere on the perimiter of my property. Luckily got that net replaced before the kickflip into the mega QP. Nigga cant have no other man's substance touch his knee pad.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »
Sports is fucking awesome. It's just a diversion from everyday life like skating or anything else. I seriously follow the NBA (Nets) and MLB (Mets) and the NFL (Jets). And the Devils, but I only really fuck with hockey during the playoffs. Hockey, though, is the best sport to see live.  I even listen to sports talk radio sometimes. I think it's more ingrained in the culture here in the Northeast--people are more personally invested in it than in Arizona or wherever. Well, except for those Oakland Raider people. I draw the line, though, at referring to your team as "we." I hate dudes that do that.

ps. I agree with what The Gipper said about the Yankees, but I will say that there are about 50,000 legit Yankee fans, everyone else just decided at one point that they wanted to be associated with a winner.

BrojaySimpson

• Rep: 17
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »
as a fan of the texas rangers, i can easily say the yankees are not even the closest bandwagon team. the rangers home opener in 07 was against the red sox, and there was easily more red sox "fans" there. these were people who saw fever pitch and only knew manny and papi. yankees band wagon fans are bad, but red sox bandwagon fans are the worst. and they're at every place they play. there is no way that many boston transplants are in all these places. fuck those dudes.

gnar this dude...

Doctor Handsome

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 08:39:20 PM »
It's fun to drink beer and watch football around Christmas time. I don't know shit about it though.

Hypno

• Rep: -4
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 09:28:01 PM »
i don't know how anyone could watch baseball. You could probably notice  your ass getting bigger when you watch. Playing it on the other hand is unexplainably fun. Same with hockey, i actually don't mind watching hockey too, especially in the winter.