Author Topic: Cheering for sports teams..  (Read 4703 times)

Mark Snappleyard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
  • Tre flip noseslides!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Cheering for sports teams..
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »
Whatever dude, if some football player shows up at the spot your skating he'll totally cheer for you if you get your trick.  Jocks love to see people win at skateboarding.  Why can't skateboarders like to see jocks win at their ball games?

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
I'n my opinion it's a standard human emotion to want to be competitive but it's how you utilize that emotion. Like to understand your being competitive might dive you to do or be better, like friendly competition vs. i'll eat your throat. I like sports cause I respect a lot of physical and mental challenges they pose, and in some cases the team aspect, the camaraderie(sp?). I was always bad at sports when I was a kid so I've never really played organized sports. Skateboarding is what i was drawn to cause I could learn and move at my own pace and it made me think more independently like I was s good as my next personal goals. For the most part I'm impartial to teams more just into the sport except of corse Basketball(my Fav sport, skating is not a sport) and my Lakers. It's hard to say one reason why I'm such a fan I like playing and watching it, and could go on for a few more lines about the reasons but I think think that answers your question

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 11:36:43 AM »
everything about organized sports and spectating seems lame too me

the most awkward thing that someone can say to me at work is that whole assume you watch sports thing "what'd you think about the game?"

in the work place that's basically a "i like pussy" high five and i'm the guy walking around doing the "i suck dick" fist bump back at them
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:43:31 AM by Sleazy »

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 11:47:34 AM »
I don't follow two out of the three sports teams here (the two popular ones) but I usually like to at least watch the sports segment on the news or something so I have something to talk to people at work about.

dudebro

• Rep: 22
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
though i'm not a huge sports fan, i'll pay a little bit of attention during the playoffs if a home team is in it. maybe its just hometown pride. maybe its just from playing sports as a kid, but i can relate to the competitiveness, the strategy and athleticism the dudes are using (although obviously not on their level). i guess its cool to see the best of the best accomplish their ultimate goal. i don't really know.

regarding the Nolan Ryan/Robin Ventura incident below: SO FUCKING AWESOME! The fucking younger dude charges a fucking 42 or 43 year old, Cy Young award winning, 7 no-hitter pitching legend of baseball who basically sits at the pinnacle of respect, and the old man kicks the young fucker's ass and teaches him some respect! SO TIGHT! I remember seeing that shit (when was it, the mid 90s?) and being so hyped! The dude is a badass.

as a fan of the texas rangers, i can easily say the yankees are not even the closest bandwagon team. the rangers home opener in 07 was against the red sox, and there was easily more red sox "fans" there. these were people who saw fever pitch and only knew manny and papi. yankees band wagon fans are bad, but red sox bandwagon fans are the worst. and they're at every place they play. there is no way that many boston transplants are in all these places. fuck those dudes.

gnar this dude...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:13:29 PM by dudebro »
one-upping is rad.  so is beaming.  both so unquestionably identify the kooks...saves a lot of wasted time/small talk.  you instantly know who to avoid.

Darkmarc

• Rep: 10
  • Yeah?
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 01:48:27 PM »
Its just like giving props to someone who just did something sick skating. If you're down for it, cheer em on, who gives a fuck what it is.
"Everyday, like probably three times a day, I'd jerk my dick off so much that the prisoners would say yo Ol' Dirty chill the fuck out. Every girl I saw on T.V., her ass looked funny to me, and i just kept jerkin my dick off, every fucking day and night." - ODB

feed me with your kiss

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »
Professional sports are a petty distraction from the monotony of everyday life and a conduit for our latent aggression and competitive tendencies. That said I wouldn't call anyone a bad person for watching, I've been known to enjoy a football (soccer) game, mostly because I enjoy playing it and it holds some good childhood memories for me. The whole stigma in skateboarding culture about sports is absurd, and one of the reasons why skateboarding is (at least now) no more individualistic than football, baseball, basketball, cross country skiing etc. despite what any number of self righteous kids may claim.

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
In football i like the browns because my dad brought me up to it.  They are awesome, rooting for the underdog is much more fun.

In baseball i dont care at all, so just to get a rise out of yankee fans i say i like the red sox, and really id only do that if they were in the play offs together.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

Saints in the eight.  Yesterday was tense.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »
i dont understand this whole "skateboarder mindset" im supposed to have. i was 13 and saw my friends skating, i thought it would be fun, so i tried it....and god damn it was fun. it was so much fun that ive been doing it every day for close to a decade. i dunno if im missing something else to qualify for this "skater" mindset but oh well.

as for sports, i enjoy watching football. weird? oh well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
i love the act of skating...but i also love watching skateboarding...what's going in skateboarding....even making comments on dudes who are clearly better than me...and on tricks that i have business even trying......i even have a pretty good idea of who wears what shoes and what sort of pants a professional skater may have....

and following a sports team is dumb?

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »
the most awkward thing that someone can say to me at work is that whole assume you watch sports thing "what'd you think about the game?"

in the work place that's basically a "i like pussy" high five and i'm the guy walking around doing the "i suck dick" fist bump back at them

yeah that's the fucking worst

people think you're a fucking weirdo if you don't watch sports.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
look how sick sports are.

that shit makes me cry every time i watch it.
I used to post

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »
I don't understand how niggas can hate on sheckler and call him a jock in one breath, and say go yankes in the next. The shit's disgusting.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 10:03:48 PM »
i don't know how i can like apples and also like oranges.....

gravel pitch

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »
I don't understand how niggas can hate on sheckler and call him a jock in one breath, and say go yankes in the next. The shit's disgusting.

So you into sports or not. Guessing basketball.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 10:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So you into sports or not. Guessing basketball.
All tall black people don't play basketball. I do though.

BabyKillaSeason

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
    • AnotherDudeWithABlog avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »
i don't know where i read it (maybe a skateboard mag guest ed) where they said that supporting a team does not make sense because team members, coaches, owners, and sometimes even locations change.  your supporting a logo and nothing beyond that. it was interesting...

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »
look how sick sports are.

that shit makes me cry every time i watch it.

fuck yeah me too. shes cute for a thick girl

danker peaches

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »
i get second hand embarrassment seeing how people cheer for "their" teams

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 12:13:02 AM »
i don't know where i read it (maybe a skateboard mag guest ed) where they said that supporting a team does not make sense because team members, coaches, owners, and sometimes even locations change.  your supporting a logo and nothing beyond that. it was interesting...

But that holds true for skateboarding

jesus0nvi4gra

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 01:02:28 AM »
NFL is fucking awesome.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 08:39:47 AM »
for those that don't understand where this mentality came from here's my theory for what it's worth

que the violin

i've talked this over with a few other older heads and it seems that the concensus was that back in the day, street skating was mostly made up of kids from broken homes, at least the guys who were good at it. it was the sport for the outcast kids that didn't have a dad tossing a ball at them from when they poped out of the womb. maybe not just from broken homes but at least from homes where the dad wasn't into sports. those kids that showed up at practice and the first time they threw a ball was that day and got benched because they couldn't handle a ball. these kinds of kids don't get that same positive feedback from their dads about sports that the suburban kids from the good homes do (the jocks) so they get into going out and getting that for themselves. just like any other product of borken home, the more reblious activiites have more appeal. and there you go, you have a bunch of kids with the common thread of not fitting in with sports either because they suck at them, had no father coaching\encouraging them, or were just from poor shit familys. these kids are generally outsiders with the jocks and made fun of by them making them hate them evenmore and adding one more common thread to the skater click.

that's pretty much how it was when i was growing up. whether it was a broken home, lack of interst in sports, lack of competitiveness, there was always that dislike of sports or disinterest from the skaters that i grew up skating with and it was just as much a part of the appeal as the fun of ridding the board. and it wasn't just sports, the skaters i grew up with weren't into anything mainstream.

i've got nothing against kids that skate from the suburbs and good homes and i'd guess that most that don't get that vibe in skating are from those kinds of backgrounds, but at the same time i definitely love that skating has provided a great way for me to meet guys over the years that aren't your typical suburban, sports fan type people, because i generally have very little in common with those types being the product of a broken home and being raised by a father who had very little interest in sports.

i can also say that if your never exposed to sports until your older, it can be endlessly boring and dull. playing sports is fun but the way that sports are packaged and presented i find endlessly annoying and boring. all the old guys commentating, endless commercials and timeouts, the way that teams are more concerned about winning than playing with all the running down of the clock that goes on. all the faking for penalties. all that shit just seems really silly, annoying and boring if your not raised on it. if i have to watch sports i definitely prefer hockey, rugby and aussie rules to any US sports. football seems kind of pussy with all the pads and constant changing of the players, basketball seems like the first 3 quarters are pointless and baseball is like golf but with fat guys in tights.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:43:24 AM by Sleazy »

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2008, 08:53:42 AM »
I'm a pretty big sports fan, its just as exciting as it is disgusting. The same people you cheer for are probably the same ones that yelled "skater fag" at you out of their cars driving by. I'm more a fan of all the Detroit teams so i guess it has a bit of local pride. But when your team is doing good, morale is up. And when you can stand behind them when they suck, you're a fan.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2008, 09:47:27 AM »
I watched The San Antonio Spurs live and in person many many times before I ever stepped on a skateboard. A lot of it is a hometown pride thing plus it's the only legitimate major professional sports team there ever. It's been several years since I stepped foot in SA but I feel a little bit closer to the city everytime I watch a game on TV. You can't beat that feeling, and it's odd that 5 sweaty doods from who knows where can encite that feeling in me simply by wearing those jerseys.

loophole

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2008, 10:49:36 AM »
it's no wonder that the worlds biggest events are sports events. look what china is doing, just for a couple runners and jumpers.

feed me with your kiss

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2008, 12:38:11 PM »
I guess someone like Sheckler grew up with a meathead dad who saw skating through a lens of competition, and gave that to his son.

On the right...

nocomply

• Rep: 147
  • Handsome
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »
Go Giants!

frisco

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2008, 01:00:25 PM »
I love sports and will always love sports, I dont think Ive ever switched to the "skater mentality" which I personally think is fucking retarted.

I grew up with sports, playing sports and I continue to do so today, I watch the same tape of the 1992/1993 Blue Jays world series wins every single summer.

Canucks. Jays.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »