Author Topic: New Metallica Song Released  (Read 7840 times)

sal23

Re: New Metallica Song Released
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
i just finished listening to the entire new album..
alot better then i expected and alot better then the last few albums
nothing compared to the other albums but a decent new album..

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 07:26:37 AM »
good enough for me, i'm getting it

Dude Dudestofferson

• Rep: 73
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »

and whoever mentioned Harvey Milk gets an honorary gnar.
I saw 'em play a bunch living in Athens in the mid-90's,
dudes were sooooo crushing and ahead of their time.

kevbo999

BrojaySimpson

• Rep: 17
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 06:12:55 PM »
i'd hate to start a thread about something i have no intention to listening to. plus, i know these links are going to be going down as fast they come up. so, for those who want it...  http://www.bunalti.com/?p=12283

as far as metal bands today, i'm backing skeletonwitch

Dude Dudestofferson

• Rep: 73
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
update - since dude named Harvey Milk and The Sword and I super dig Harvey Milk,
I thought I'd check out The Sword.

really, dudes? I don't get it.
maybe I haven't played enough D&D.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 07:05:05 AM »
harvey milk > the sword for sure, just the most recent metal that i've listened too

as for metallica's new CD i think pitchfork nailed it

Metallica became the world's biggest metal band by doing everything right. Then they went and did everything wrong. Their first four records were classic permutations of 1980s thrash: The ferociously raw Kill 'Em All, the increasingly epic Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, and the toweringly technical ...And Justice for All. Until the latter, Metallica refused to make an MTV video. Self-dubbed "Alcoholica", the band cultivated a blue-collar image. However, on 1991's eponymous album (aka "The Black Album"), they went mainstream with radio-friendly ballads, losing old fans but gaining millions of new ones.

Since then, Metallica have been a comedy of errors. Load and ReLoad wallowed in hard rock dreck. The front of Garage Inc., a covers collection, found Metallica awkwardly costumed as auto mechanics to appear as the everymen they once were. S&M was an overwrought collaboration with a symphony. The band sued Napster, earning the scorn of fans. 2003's St. Anger was laughably bad. The documentary film Some Kind of Monster luridly aired the band's dirty laundry. Singer/guitarist James Hetfield and bassist Robert Trujillo were recently photographed shopping at Armani. Such antics have kept Metallica in the headlines, and not necessarily to their benefit. The anticipation for Death Magnetic has split along two lines: hope for a return to form, and schadenfreude.

The album fulfills neither expectation. It tries mightily to recapture Metallica's former glory, but only does so partially. Producer Rick Rubin told the band to write the unwritten half of Master of Puppets, a ludicrous proposition. But his intent was well-meaning: get rich, fortysomething rockers to recall themselves as hungry, twentysomething metallers. In the real world, this is called a midlife crisis. One can emulate one's younger self, but one can't unlearn one's years.

So it is with Death Magnetic. Self-plagiarization abounds. "That Was Just Your Life" and "Cyanide" harken back to "Blackened" from ...And Justice for All. "The Day That Never Comes" has the clean tones of "Fade to Black" and the machine gun riff from "One". In the 1980s, Metallica wrote hundreds of riffs without repeating themselves. To hear them so bereft of new ideas is disheartening. So is the fact that Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger are indelibly part of their bloodstream. "The End of the Line" and "The Judas Kiss" have bland hard rock riffs à la Load and ReLoad. Like most sequels, the turgid "The Unforgiven III" need not have been made. "Cyanide" tapes a Stone Temple Pilots riff to a disastrous stop-start section straight out of St. Anger. Metallica aren't good at being bluesy or unpredictable. They're best at heavy metal thunder, and they've forgotten that.

Rubin's bone-dry production negates this thunder, but it evokes Metallica's garage band days. These are their most energetic performances in ages. Guitarist Kirk Hammett hasn't ever sounded this vital. While he languished solo-less in St. Anger, he's all over Death Magnetic with fiery leads. They often reprise his old ones, but their wah-fueled intensity is a welcome antidote to their underlying riffs. Hetfield has mostly dropped his bluesy yowl in favor of singing in tune. Trujillo adds solid, supportive low end. Drummer Lars Ulrich is the one weak link. He often resorts to simple oompah beats when complementary or counter-rhythms are necessary. But despite his lack of creativity, he plays the hell out of his drums, aided by a harsh, crunchy sound that renders his cymbals incredibly sibilant.

All the energy in the world can't save these songs, however. They're each about two minutes too long. Most top seven minutes in length; the instrumental "Suicide & Redemption" lasts 10 minutes but feels interminable. Prime Metallica had long songs, but they ebbed and flowed, skillfully playing with layers. These songs, in contrast, merely string together riffs. Clean tones invade "The End of the Line" without warning; many songs have intros that are apropos of nothing. Death Magnetic is essentially St. Anger with better riffs.

The band may be more mentally stable now, but it's irreparably damaged. Years of simplistic hard rock have destroyed its sense of speed. Even the thrashy "My Apocalypse" feels clunky. Hetfield's lyrics are toilet-grade; his younger self, while brash, would never have written tripe like "Mangled flesh, snapping spines/ Dripping bloody valentine/ Shattered face, spitting glass." Ever since The Black Album, his lyrics have been embarrassingly personal. Once Metallica became vulnerable, they never recovered. Death Magnetic is a meditation on death-- but so is every other Metallica record. The best ones spit in the face of death; this album instead finds aging men trying to reclaim their youth.

Sony MDR V2 headphones

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »
i thought this was cool though.

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

;D L !
I HAVE NEVER WRITTEN LOL BEFORE IN MY LIFE, BUT I WILL GIVE LOL PROPS TO BOTH THE ORIGINAL AND THE ADDED "ONE" LYRICS OF THAT ARMANI PICTURE!

i'VE HEARD THE ALBUM AND IT SOUNDS GOOD IF YOU'RE SKATING AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO JAME'S FAGGOT LYRIC STYLE WHEN HE'S TRYING TO "SING".

BUT ALSO REMEMBER: ALL THE GREAT SHIT WAS PRETTY CAMPY TOO.
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

picklesickshuv-it

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 12:55:04 PM »
man its like, it starts to rock, then it stops a little.  Then its like "o shit, is this gonna rock?", followed by a little confusion, then finally, "this shit pretty much sucks". C+ for effort, there are solos

Livin The Psychedelic Lif

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »
man its like, it starts to rock, then it stops a little.  Then its like "o shit, is this gonna rock?", followed by a little confusion, then finally, "this shit pretty much sucks". C+ for effort, there are solos

Why dont they get it? i mean, fuck, just go back to classic metallica and fuck the rest.
But having too much money changes people.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 05:08:21 AM »
Why dont they get it? i mean, fuck, just go back to classic metallica and fuck the rest.
But having too much money changes people.

part of the problem is that they think the black album was one of the good ones. unforgiven III? come on guys

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »
I agree that only some of the Jammy-wordless parts are fine/OK. Their only hope is if they would let a hungry youngun write the lyrics, songs. James lost all cred even before the Armani picture.

Does this also mean there is no hope of the Beastie Boys making another Paul's Boutique, even if they cooped up in a Silver Lake villa with an endless supply of drugs?
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 05:07:32 PM »

Yes that's what we need a Sammy Hagar looking James Hettfield. The song is ok. Just wished they stayed true like Slayer.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2008, 05:52:17 AM »
Does this also mean there is no hope of the Beastie Boys making another Paul's Boutique, even if they cooped up in a Silver Lake villa with an endless supply of drugs?

i'd be stoked for a check your head or even an ill communication but sadly they get futher and further from pauls with each album they drop

Hakeem Olajuwon

• Rep: -55
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »
Summary:

Hate! holds a fair amount of knowledge about shit music, and seems to think he is more important than he actually is.
Sleazy should be banned from the music section of the forum altogether. His opinions are lathered in dumbass.
Gooks will never succeed.

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »

i'd be stoked for a check your head or even an ill communication but sadly they get futher and further from pauls with each album they drop

[/quote]

My two favorite hip hop albums of all time are Paul's Boutique and Bizaare Ride to the PHarcyde.
Both are ultra-dense psychedelicstacked full of funky samples. I've spent so much time trying to find more albums like that. Does anyone know of other comparable ones?
The only one that comes close is Odelay, but it does not have the really fun group dynamic of the top two.
Weirdly, I think 36 chambers is in the league of PB and Pharcyde: a group of friends making up a whole universe by singing the million of inside jokes they made up stoned.

picklesickshuv-it

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2008, 08:06:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My two favorite hip hop albums of all time are Paul's Boutique and Bizaare Ride to the PHarcyde.
Both are ultra-dense psychedelicstacked full of funky samples. I've spent so much time trying to find more albums like that. Does anyone know of other comparable ones?
The only one that comes close is Odelay, but it does not have the really fun group dynamic of the top two.
Weirdly, I think 36 chambers is in the league of PB and Pharcyde: a group of friends making up a whole universe by singing the million of inside jokes they made up stoned.
[/quote]
ha well put

OldDirtyBastardChild

• Rep: 9
  • Im The ODB And I Cant See
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2008, 12:05:03 PM »
i like the new metallica quite a bit. and i have all there albums. i donno maybe im just not too worried about how they used to be and am just stoked that its better than st anger. metallica has always been one of my top 5

buyskateshoes

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »
Death Magnetic is a good album period

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »
songs too long and songs that done blend into itself well...  had high hopes for the album but i cant bring myself to give it another listen....

the lyrics are god awful too... "love is a 4 letter word", come oe.....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »
Metallica is dead to me after And Justice For All
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

buyskateshoes

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2008, 02:29:24 AM »
songs too long and songs that done blend into itself well...  had high hopes for the album but i cant bring myself to give it another listen....

the lyrics are god awful too... "love is a 4 letter word", come oe.....

youve got a point there.

All nightmare long and my apocalypse are my favorite songs from the album.

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »
I actually like the CD. Thank god they got rid of Bob Cock producing and playing bass in rehearsal.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2008, 06:38:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

[/quote]

just got turned on to lootpack, you might want to check them out. reminds me of something in that neighborhood. maybe some murs too but lootpack seems to have more stoney beats.

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2022, 05:11:44 PM »

Is this about Elon's kid or something?

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2022, 09:48:23 AM »
Its almost like theyve crossed Megadeth youthanasia era riffs with a skate punk kind of verse. 
Its ok but kind of basic for them. Could still listen to this on repeat over St Anger or the album after.

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2022, 03:21:14 AM »
baffled by how stupid lars ulrich's dad hat looks

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2022, 12:45:05 AM »
i'm not even going to give it a chance i know it sucks.
I actually gave it a shot and it’s like they’re (Lars and James) muting out the best part of their bands bass lines and Kirks better parts.

For me I’ll be play the devil’s advocate I tried to like their newer stuff but it just comes off like they’re trying to catch lighting in a bottle (corny as fuck) it fucking sucked.  After Ride the lightning they haven’t evolved, the only thing they had after that was (and justice for all) which wasn’t too Terrible his voice wasn’t so bad just the bass issue was my problem with that album.

Anything afterwards was absolute garbage even if they tried it sucked ass.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 01:01:15 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2022, 07:40:42 AM »
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.