Author Topic: bikes  (Read 305980 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: bikes
« Reply #1260 on: January 12, 2020, 08:11:47 AM »
Got this one off of offerup today. I paid $150. Tell me how stupid I am and how much I fucked up.

looks alright.  I like the h bar adjustability you got and the seat obviously.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1261 on: January 13, 2020, 08:35:43 AM »
you are not stupid.
If it rides, you like it, and its comfortable, you got yourself  a great bike.
Keep the chain clean, and enjoy.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1262 on: January 13, 2020, 06:43:35 PM »
you are not stupid.
If it rides, you like it, and its comfortable, you got yourself  a great bike.
Keep the chain clean, and enjoy.

i agree. once i was advised (and i agree most of the time, depending on age/condition) that any used, non-walmartesque, functioning bike for under $200 is an okay deal. you get to try a decently built bike and figure out what you like or dislike, without paying an arm and a leg.

i bought a shitty-looking, vintage, chrome bike for 100 bucks on CL—and i love it. had to switch the rear hub cus it was too old, but otherwise its my commuting bff <3
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:45:34 PM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1263 on: January 15, 2020, 04:23:28 AM »
I’ve been riding the same mountain bike for 25 years. It’s not going to wow anybody but it fits me well so I’m good with it.

It doesn’t look like a bad bike, L33t - although that fork and stem probably won’t take a lot of abuse from a bigger rider. Be mindful of that when dropping off big curbs and stuff.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1264 on: January 16, 2020, 08:23:17 PM »
I find myself favoring my 58cm road bike.
Only thing I wanna change is the saddle I think I figured out why they remove the center part on the fancier seats.
Dueces Bitch's

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1265 on: January 16, 2020, 09:19:12 PM »
I’ve always been under the impression it’s to relieve your balls?

Side note, stupid me managed to get into a fight yesterday while my bike was leaning behind me on a wall, handles got bent to shit as did my front wheel, hoping it’s just a spoke that needs some tweaking

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1266 on: January 17, 2020, 05:44:50 AM »
I’ve always been under the impression it’s to relieve your balls?

Side note, stupid me managed to get into a fight yesterday while my bike was leaning behind me on a wall, handles got bent to shit as did my front wheel, hoping it’s just a spoke that needs some tweaking
Yeah it's to relieve pressure on your perineum aka taint.  It gets uncomfortable when you get the itch in your area and it gets worse when shifting around.

If you bent your rim or spokes just have someone true your wheel, it isn't that too expensive.

Dueces Bitch's

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1267 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:37 AM »
$165 down and I’m back rolling around  :)

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1268 on: January 22, 2020, 08:35:22 AM »
My bike Bloody Harry
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:02:51 AM by DarthDingusMaximus »
Dueces Bitch's

• Rep: 58
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1269 on: January 30, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
My daily commuter since moving out to SF in 2018.   

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1270 on: January 30, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
My daily commuter since moving out to SF in 2018.   

Some nice fixed frames up in this. Congrats paco.

But on this Cin what’s up with the long fork extension and spacers above your stem? You trying to cut your nuts off or what?
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1271 on: January 31, 2020, 04:22:32 AM »
that is a really nice ride. 

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1272 on: January 31, 2020, 06:59:47 AM »
$165 down and I’m back rolling around  :)

nice man! what did you get done. new handlebars it seems from your last pic. No handlebar tape?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1273 on: February 04, 2020, 03:11:06 PM »
I’ve been riding the same mountain bike for 25 years. It’s not going to wow anybody but it fits me well so I’m good with it.

It doesn’t look like a bad bike, L33t - although that fork and stem probably won’t take a lot of abuse from a bigger rider. Be mindful of that when dropping off big curbs and stuff.
So my fork bent and made my bike unrideable. It seems only bad shit happens when I try to get into biking. First someone stole the two bikes I got for cheap. Then someone tries to steal my new bike while I was in a coffee shop. Evidently some guy was trying to yank my bike off its lock and bent the fuck out of my largest gear. I hammered that shit straight as possible and was able to ride again. Now my fork got bent under my weight as I did a tiny jump to get over a hose in the street. It's bent so much that wheel makes contact with the frame and doesn't roll. This shit is crazy. I can't have a damn thing.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1274 on: February 04, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »
Expand Quote
$165 down and I’m back rolling around
[close]
nice man! what did you get done. new handlebars it seems from your last pic. No handlebar tape?

Had to get a new front wheel, last one got buckled.

I hate the feel of bar tape, especially seeing how often I’m caught in the rain and it gets all spongy. So these bars I’ve run tapeless for a couple months and just wear gloves in the morning, I’ve found these little knub grips that I run against the stem when I’m hauling

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1275 on: February 04, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
So my fork bent and made my bike unrideable. It seems only bad shit happens when I try to get into biking. First someone stole the two bikes I got for cheap. Then someone tries to steal my new bike while I was in a coffee shop. Evidently some guy was trying to yank my bike off its lock and bent the fuck out of my largest gear. I hammered that shit straight as possible and was able to ride again. Now my fork got bent under my weight as I did a tiny jump to get over a hose in the street. It's bent so much that wheel makes contact with the frame and doesn't roll. This shit is crazy. I can't have a damn thing.
   Sorry man.  A clydesdale needs a beefier bike i guess.  Old mountain bikes are cheap.  You could put fat slicks on one of those.  Replace the forks with some used ones on ur current bike and sell it.   I wish i lived in the states for Bikesdirect.  Theyve got some beefy single speeds for the best prices.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:31:57 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #1276 on: February 05, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »
Don't think I ever shared my e-bike on slap. It's a super73-S1

I'm really into vintage mopeds, not so much into mechanics, so I figured getting a ebike would be a better choice. Although mopeds are a lot cheaper, coming across one that works AND looks good was a pain. I bought it back in April. I have around 1300 miles on it now, but I haven't been on it much since it's colder.

Started off white. I just recently painted it, added the decals, vans grips, and I stained the basket. Swapped out the all-terrain tire for street tires.

it only goes 22mph on throttle, it's an e-bike, not a scooter or motorcycle. So legally it can only go so fast. It's fun to ride. Over the summer I commute to work about 7miles in 30minutes. My girlfriend has a rad power ebike. Going downtown to eat is WAY better. They charge like 20$ to park a car here. One charge is supposed to get you 20-40miles. I've gotten in the 30ish range.

This version of the Super73 is not feature heavy, but the new ones they just announced has a bigger battery. GPS, alarm, and an "unpermitted" mode from riding on private property

I highly recommend an e-bike!

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1277 on: February 05, 2020, 12:22:32 PM »
its hard for me to admit this, but i really like the look of old mopeds too, and this new style of e-bikes looks really promising.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1278 on: February 06, 2020, 08:24:34 AM »
I’ve talked about my bmx on here before but now that I’ve been using a lot here in south east Asia I’m even more stoked on it.  I have a decent commuter bike here (came with the gfs apartment) but I never want to use it.   I’ve always loved cycling but the bmx once ur used to the geo is completely addicting.   I feel like u get every feeling from it u could possibly get from mtbing or dirtbiking or Harley riding just by street or park riding. (I only ride parks with my bmx when their empty or close to)  So stiff and carvey.  Even just ripping around.  If u enjoy cycling in any capacity you would love a bmx (again, once ur muscle memory gets used to the design.). They come with 2.4 tires now too which I love.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #1279 on: February 06, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »

Here’s my BMX bike. S&M CCR. I only ride trails (which is the term for diy dirt jump spots). I’ve never had fun riding skateparks or street because I’d rather just skateboard at that point. But riding trails is one of the best feelings in the world. It looks super scary, but it’s actually pretty low risk once you’ve got some bike control and you ride within your abilities. The trails scene is similar to the diy skatepark scene, but can sometimes be pretty militant due to how easily they can be destroyed and how much maintenance is required to keep them rideable.

If you have any ability to jump a bike, you should give it a shot.

To clarify what trail riding is:

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1280 on: February 06, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »

Here’s my BMX bike. S&M CCR. I only ride trails (which is the term for diy dirt jump spots). I’ve never had fun riding skateparks or street because I’d rather just skateboard at that point. But riding trails is one of the best feelings in the world. It looks super scary, but it’s actually pretty low risk once you’ve got some bike control and you ride within your abilities. The trails scene is similar to the diy skatepark scene, but can sometimes be pretty militant due to how easily they can be destroyed and how much maintenance is required to keep them rideable.

If you have any ability to jump a bike, you should give it a shot.

To clarify what trail riding is:

I like trails and dirt jumps, it is a great feeling sailing across a jump or swirving around a tree.

Having a bmx especially one that's your size is soooo choice (I've had some bad luck with too small of a bike), I have ruined my knees from long distance riding and it sucks having that as your only transportation to work.

What's the specs on your whip?
Dueces Bitch's

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #1281 on: February 06, 2020, 04:28:53 PM »
I’m 6’1” so I ride a bigger bike.
Still a 20”, with a 21.25” top tube, with a mellow head tube angle (74.25) and pretty long rear end (13.9” and I pull the wheel back as much as I can). Got a pretty tall stem with spacers underneath, and 9.25” bars on top of it. I don’t like hunching. It’s a boat for sure. The geometry of the frame plus the entire build is really geared strictly towards trails.

colin

« Reply #1282 on: February 06, 2020, 07:30:27 PM »
I’m 6’1” so I ride a bigger bike.
Still a 20”, with a 21.25” top tube, with a mellow head tube angle (74.25) and pretty long rear end (13.9” and I pull the wheel back as much as I can). Got a pretty tall stem with spacers underneath, and 9.25” bars on top of it. I don’t like hunching. It’s a boat for sure. The geometry of the frame plus the entire build is really geared strictly towards trails.
That's a sick bike dude

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1283 on: February 07, 2020, 03:15:49 PM »
I liked the dogs, and that there was not a single flip in that video.  But to call it low risk, mmmm, it's at least medium risk.  I guess it depends on the trails.  That step down scares me. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1284 on: February 09, 2020, 03:20:57 PM »
I wanna use bikesdirect but I don't know enough to be able to pick a good bike for myself. Can anyone recommend or walk me through buying a hybrid bike for a very heavy 5'10" man?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Stephens Lawyer

• Rep: 139
« Reply #1285 on: February 09, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
definitely avoid front suspension forks. disc brakes might be a good choice if you're hard on wheels and tend to put them out of true (thereby fucking with the adjustment on the rim brakes). if disc brakes, i like mechanical ones, the ease of maintenance is easily worth the slightly lessened stopping power compared to hydraulic. also unless you know what you're doing factor in probably 100$ (or more) build charge if you get something off the internet and want to have a shop do the build. that will often eat up the cost savings you think you're getting.

basically every major manufacturer will have something roughly equivalent to this:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-city-disc-3-2020

a bit higher up the totem pole and you can find some cool urban bikes (below) -- a big guy would appreciate 650b wheels with big volume tires and thru axles, i think. my bike has thru axles and the difference in sturdiness is quite noticeable at least to me: a bike nerd.

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/sequels3.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:29:29 PM by Stephens Lawyer »

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1286 on: March 08, 2020, 06:23:59 PM »
Drove to the middle of nowhere to buy this for $200.

Going to look at a mountain bike in the morning.  I have very little experience riding trails so I'm excited to try it out this summer.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1287 on: March 24, 2020, 12:22:52 AM »
"S and M wins" is a good new bike edit up on youtube.  Pretty artful and fun.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1288 on: March 28, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
Theres this dude Dustin Klein who's got a youtube channel DKlein who uploads videos of mostly long gravel rides. Being cooped up in the house and my bike not in my possession these videos have been a really good escape.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV9WtB_q5sJfe3Rev5PWy-Q/videos

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1289 on: March 28, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »
Dustin rules, original MASH vid part is awesome

Never been a fan of the zwift thing but I’ve watched one with him and it’s interesting.