Author Topic: bikes  (Read 306303 times)

buffalo hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bikes
« Reply #1680 on: August 12, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »
I have a Brooks on my touring bike. It was perfect for the Pacific coast and Trans America routes 6 years ago. I thought about putting the Brooks on my road bike for the Trans Am Bike race last year, but opted out because of weight issues.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #1681 on: August 12, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1682 on: August 13, 2020, 03:56:34 AM »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
« Reply #1683 on: August 15, 2020, 02:23:34 PM »
Finally finished my single conversion. This pic was before I threw the chain on. Still have some odds and ends to add but it rips,I'm stoked. Shout out to @Enrico Pallazzo for the saddle!

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #1684 on: August 15, 2020, 07:44:39 PM »
Finally finished my single conversion. This pic was before I threw the chain on. Still have some odds and ends to add but it rips,I'm stoked. Shout out to @Enrico Pallazzo for the saddle!

Fuck yes, that thing is rad!

Kel Varnsen

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1685 on: August 19, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
Hey guys, gear related question:

With gyms being closed, I've recently turned more to riding as an alternate form of physical activity. I'm up to 30 miles every other day and have a pair of budget bibs I use. They're adequate for what I'm currently doing - not super comfortable, but going 40-50 miles I'll probably need something a little better. Are there any particular bib/jersey brands you guys would recommend, or online shops you've been happy with to buy from?

The small shops around me still haven't opened back up as far as I know, and truthfully it's still amateur hour on my end as far as navigating cycling brands and product. I'm aware of the more expensive mainstream brands, but if there's something a little more under the radar, that's much more preferred.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1391
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1686 on: August 19, 2020, 04:12:22 PM »
found a subrosa BMX bike in the bushes about a month ago. I figure someone tweaking probably stole it and dumped it after the chain fell of the cog. Cleaned it up, threw the chain back on, and i've got my first BMX bike. Gotta say that I don't think I really like it all that much
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #1687 on: August 19, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »

With gyms being closed, I've recently turned more to riding as an alternate form of physical activity. I'm up to 30 miles every other day and have a pair of budget bibs I use. They're adequate for what I'm currently doing - not super comfortable, but going 40-50 miles I'll probably need something a little better. Are there any particular bib/jersey brands you guys would recommend, or online shops you've been happy with to buy from?

The small shops around me still haven't opened back up as far as I know, and truthfully it's still amateur hour on my end as far as navigating cycling brands and product. I'm aware of the more expensive mainstream brands, but if there's something a little more under the radar, that's much more preferred.

Pearl Izumi hits almost all price tiers.

Rapha has some cheaper bibs.

I have a cadence collection set I like but they usually sellout quickly.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #1688 on: August 20, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »

Putting my vote in for The Black Bibs. 40-65 dollars for a very solid set of bibs, quality is on par with way more expensive pairs that I have. Bought some earlier this summer and about to make a second purchase.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1689 on: August 20, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »
So I thought I'd chuck my bike on here.
I ride daily and used to go with a PK Big Ripper but recently got myself a new Cult 29" Devotion.

https://cultcrew.com/collections/cult-complete-bikes/products/29-devotion-cruiser-black

Easily one of the nicest bikes I've ridden, perfect for my 30 min commute daily.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Kel Varnsen

« Reply #1690 on: August 20, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »

Putting my vote in for The Black Bibs. 40-65 dollars for a very solid set of bibs, quality is on par with way more expensive pairs that I have. Bought some earlier this summer and about to make a second purchase.

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I found a pair of Pearl Izumi bibs for a good price online so I pulled the trigger on those. Back when I first started looking at making a purchase on cycling apparel, I was really close to getting a pair of The Black Bibs. At the time, I looked at reviews and they were mixed (mostly positive), but ultimately didn't go for them. For the price I might just try a pair and see how it goes. I know this sort of thing is really subjective and comfort comes down to individual preference, so I appreciate the help.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1691 on: August 20, 2020, 07:50:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I found a pair of Pearl Izumi bibs for a good price online so I pulled the trigger on those. Back when I first started looking at making a purchase on cycling apparel, I was really close to getting a pair of The Black Bibs. At the time, I looked at reviews and they were mixed (mostly positive), but ultimately didn't go for them. For the price I might just try a pair and see how it goes. I know this sort of thing is really subjective and comfort comes down to individual preference, so I appreciate the help.

Post a link.  I need a new pair of Pearls.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Kel Varnsen

« Reply #1692 on: August 20, 2020, 09:41:44 PM »

Post a link.  I need a new pair of Pearls.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Pearl-Izumi-Interval-Graphic-Bib-Shorts

I had an issue with previous order I tried placing from them and had a code for an additional 15% off - all it took was a kind email to their customer service dept. I can’t justify spending $150+ on any gear at this point until I get a little more experience, but the discount brought it under $100, and that felt alright to me.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1693 on: August 24, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
I currently have a trip planned from SF to LA (over 5 days) which is suppose to start in about a week and a half but these fires through Big Sur and Santa Cruz may cause that to be canceled. Keeping my fingers crossed though.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Angela86

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1694 on: August 24, 2020, 12:35:23 PM »
Did someone says bikes
Feeling like homes  8)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1695 on: August 25, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
Did someone says bikes
Feeling like homes  8)

Post a kit
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #1696 on: August 25, 2020, 05:24:45 PM »
Don't let anyone tell you you cant ride a trail with a shitty bike.  I got a Mongoose X-1 Pro from 98 for free.  Spent 200 in upgrades and it is actually a really fun bike.  Rock Shox Indy C are not the best fork but they're not horrible.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #1697 on: August 25, 2020, 05:26:50 PM »
This is what it looks like but in olive green and orange.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1698 on: August 26, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
you can ride whatever bike you like. I get stoked on a migrant worker riding a 1979 super cycle or a kitted out dentist on an s-works Roubaix.
As long as you are stoked, I am stoked.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1391
« Reply #1699 on: August 29, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »
I'm looking at buying a few sets of tires. I had a pair of armadillos that were alright on the fixie but I'm leaning toward gatorskins this time. However, when Autumn comes, its wet as fuck where I live until spring, so i'm also considering something not so slick. That would also be helpful for the trails I hit. Riding gravel, brakeless with slicks involves more risk than i'm into right now.

For the crosscheck, I've got some 700x25 gatorskins but i'd like to throw some sort of hybrid tire, again for roads/trails.

I've got a few pairs of cross tires, but wanna find a middle ground.
Anyone have suggestions? thanks
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1700 on: August 30, 2020, 03:52:32 AM »
There’s a Vigorelli for sale in my size second hand.

$2,500 with all the bells and whistles but I just can’t justify buying a bike I’d be stressing on being stolen quick smart

Anyone have one, care to assuage my mind?

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1701 on: August 31, 2020, 09:54:21 AM »
There’s a Vigorelli for sale in my size second hand.

$2,500 with all the bells and whistles but I just can’t justify buying a bike I’d be stressing on being stolen quick smart

Anyone have one, care to assuage my mind?
What model Vigorelli? 2.5k buys a lot of bike and assuming you live in a metropolitan area it would be a hot target. If it were me I would pass because I wouldn't want something else to worry about all the time but that's ultimately a personal choice. Not knowing the specs I'm going to assume you can likely get very similar performance for less and attract less thieves at the same time. It's also just a bad time overall to buy bikes because of the manufacturing shortage.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1702 on: August 31, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »
I should’ve mentioned, it’s a 2019 Vig steel with sram omnium cranks and a full carbon wheel set
shimano brakes and an Izumi chain.

All things I would invest into a sold steel frame anyway but it wouldn’t be my daily driver, I’ve got my aero track bike for that. This would just be something nice for me to own

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1703 on: September 01, 2020, 03:34:32 AM »
I wrote a longish post about my ride on Friday, but Slap didn't want to post it. Anyway, the gist of it: I was celebrating my 34st birthday that is also my 20th anniversary of starting skateboarding. I choose to gift myself the time for a longer bike ride (I went skateboarding on Saturday) and I am very pleased with my choice.

I had a blast, even though most of the 636 vertical meters difference was so goddamn steep I used my lowest gear and still overtook a couple of riders. There was a dreamy forested rolling hill gravel section (https://goo.gl/maps/XTV5hpu5ocJ7156D9) that I was able to plow through on the descent and this was the finish line/turning point:

It is kinda hard to capture the feeling of the ride on a smartphone, but here's a little tease: https://photos.app.goo.gl/X5JvEHqDWSeDQcPr6

MareVitals

« Reply #1704 on: September 01, 2020, 06:27:40 AM »
I should’ve mentioned, it’s a 2019 Vig steel with sram omnium cranks and a full carbon wheel set

All things I would invest into a sold steel frame anyway but it wouldn’t be my daily driver, I’ve got my aero track bike for that. This would just be something nice for me to own
at 2.5k i thought you were looking at the vigorelli road bikes (which look dope). The frame isn't super expensive so it all comes down to the components and wheelset. If it's truly on some high end chris king/phil wood type shit it is more likely to be worth it but otherwise you may be better off building yourself unless this bike is exactly how you want it.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #1705 on: September 01, 2020, 06:37:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
at 2.5k i thought you were looking at the vigorelli road bikes (which look dope). The frame isn't super expensive so it all comes down to the components and wheelset. If it's truly on some high end chris king/phil wood type shit it is more likely to be worth it but otherwise you may be better off building yourself unless this bike is exactly how you want it.

I DM'd them when posting was down, saying the same thing.

I am building a Vig steel right now with phil hubs, king headset, omnium crank and all that shit. All brand new parts, nothing used and it cost me $2200. They said it has a carbon wheelset worth about $1100 and said where ever they live the frame is $1500. I got mine right from cinelli for $600 in the US
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #1706 on: September 01, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »
I wrote a longish post about my ride on Friday, but Slap didn't want to post it. Anyway, the gist of it: I was celebrating my 34st birthday that is also my 20th anniversary of starting skateboarding. I choose to gift myself the time for a longer bike ride (I went skateboarding on Saturday) and I am very pleased with my choice.

I had a blast, even though most of the 636 vertical meters difference was so goddamn steep I used my lowest gear and still overtook a couple of riders. There was a dreamy forested rolling hill gravel section (https://goo.gl/maps/XTV5hpu5ocJ7156D9) that I was able to plow through on the descent and this was the finish line/turning point:

It is kinda hard to capture the feeling of the ride on a smartphone, but here's a little tease: https://photos.app.goo.gl/X5JvEHqDWSeDQcPr6

Damn.....that is beautiful (HBD by the way). I do that for my birthdays too. Just sort of do an odd self fun thing rather than throw a party with friends and what not. This year I wanted to hike to Half Dome at Yosemite by myself but with COVID, that didn't happen. I'll shoot for that next year but I really want to take a long bike ride as well and just sort of capture photos on the way.

Fires in the Bay Area just suck so I decided to just take some product photography photos of my bike. Standing these bikes up on a stick is just so damn frustrating. It fell over like 3 times but thankfully it was on dirt.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

MareVitals

« Reply #1707 on: September 01, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »
Fires in the Bay Area just suck so I decided to just take some product photography photos of my bike. Standing these bikes up on a stick is just so damn frustrating. It fell over like 3 times but thankfully it was on dirt.

Clean ass build and shot. Haven't seen a super pista with that paint job.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1708 on: September 01, 2020, 02:45:57 PM »
@MareVitals  & @arrbee  I appreciate the input guys I think the excitement got the better of me seeing a cinelli in a smaller size. I’m gonna hold off I think but yeah frames and parts down here are stupid pricey but then comparing US prices to Aus prices is always gonna look skewed

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #1709 on: September 01, 2020, 02:58:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Clean ass build and shot. Haven't seen a super pista with that paint job.

It’s a 2009. To be honest, no one ever wanted that colorway and the guy that sold it to me wanted the Celeste Green one.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!