Author Topic: bikes  (Read 198530 times)

Enrico Pallazzo

• Rep: 66
Re: bikes
« Reply #1770 on: September 16, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ďClimbĒ ďderailleurĒ

Themís fightin words.

Anyways, to try to steer this conversation back toward something neutral and bike related, has anyone been following the Tour de France this year? The NBC Sports YouTube channel has been condensing coverage into nice 20-30 minute highlight videos, way more palatable than watching the full 3-4 hour stream. Cool seeing different team strategies, what works and what doesnít, and just how gnarly all these dudes are. 100 miles and 14k feet of climbing in like 4.5 hours, unreal.
[close]

Ya I've been keeping up with those. Last year's winner Egan Bernal dropped out which is nuts. I'm not sure who I'm really rooting for because I don't know enough about the riders. I think I'm gravitating towards the EF riders because I like Lachlan Morton and Taylor Phinney.
[close]

Lachlan Morton is great, he did a nice video interview while climbing/descending fixed a little while ago with State Bicycles.

That Neilson Powless kid rips as well, heís also the first Native American on the tour which is very cool.

Been enjoying watching Wout Van Aert, itís sick that he was just so gnarly/dominant at cyclocross, switched to professional road cycling, and is still crushing it at the highest levels.  Itís like the Auby Taylor transition to vert but in spandex and speed shades.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1771 on: September 17, 2020, 01:09:07 AM »
I'm from Slovenia and this year's Tour de France is the first time I ever followed a sporting competition with any level of interest.

It's crazy to see Roglič and Pogačar dominate and then seeing them dominate Strava segments in our local area/country. Their performance coincides nicely with the general increase of new cyclists that were forced out of gyms with the corona virus. I guess cycling is going to get quite a popularity boost this year here.

dunc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1772 on: September 17, 2020, 02:55:56 AM »
Surly straggler. Just got new tyres and I love it even more!
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1773 on: September 17, 2020, 08:08:23 AM »

Rad Dunc! Welcome to the club. What tires are you running on yours? I'm currently on Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads (43s) but I'm on more paved than unpaved these days so might down size.

I heard a rumor the Straggler might be discontinued (too much over lap with the Crosscheck and Midnight Special). Anyway, they are no frills and heavy but versatile and I love mine.

Beeda Weeda

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1774 on: September 17, 2020, 09:38:08 AM »
both those gravel bikes are so sick, do you guys have road or mountain bike drive trains?

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1775 on: September 17, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »

Ah good old forest park. Maybe see you up there once this damn smoke clears out, Frank and Fred. Sick whip too!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1776 on: September 17, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »
both those gravel bikes are so sick, do you guys have road or mountain bike drive trains?

Thanks! Road. This certainly is pretty close to a do it all bike but its still a road bike. I like to find the quietist shittiest roads I can but sometimes I do wish I own a lighter speedier road bike to challenge a few fellow MAMILs. I'm due a big bonus at work next year and I'm tempted to invest in a Midnight Special  and turn my Straggler into a bullet proof, around town, platform pedaled, cargo, low geared single speed.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1777 on: September 17, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »
[
Ah good old forest park. Maybe see you up there once this damn smoke clears out, Frank and Fred. Sick whip too!

Ha! Nice!
I usually have some give-away skateboarder identification on me. Can't wait to ride again. This year was a bust. I like to end the summer with a century and was planning a mixed terrain ride over Mt Hood to Hood River but I can't see that happening now.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1778 on: September 17, 2020, 11:01:46 AM »
Ha! Nice!
I usually have some give-away skateboarder identification on me. Can't wait to ride again. This year was a bust. I like to end the summer with a century and was planning a mixed terrain ride over Mt Hood to Hood River but I can't see that happening now.

Same here haha. Spitfire fanny pack usually gives it away for me. However there's so much skate/cyclist crossover in this city it's pretty easy to spot one another in the world. Yes this summer/year has been pretty atrocious - trying to stay optimistic and positive despite it all. I'll keep an eye out in forest park for ya. I usually ride a Bombtrack with my friend who's on a Salsa Warroad. If you see us don't hesitate to say hi. Stay up!

dunc

« Reply #1779 on: September 18, 2020, 01:29:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rad Dunc! Welcome to the club. What tires are you running on yours? I'm currently on Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads (43s) but I'm on more paved than unpaved these days so might down size.

I heard a rumor the Straggler might be discontinued (too much over lap with the Crosscheck and Midnight Special). Anyway, they are no frills and heavy but versatile and I love mine.

I went and got some Specialized pathfinder pro tyres 700 x 43. Good price and the roll so nice on and off road. Been riding cheap CST tyres before that and boy can you tell the difference. Is that a custom paint job on yours?
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

dunc

« Reply #1780 on: September 18, 2020, 01:33:32 AM »
Thanks!!I have a road setup on the straggler and a mountain bike set up on my cross check that I commute and tour on . I just chucked some old biopace chain rings on for a play and gee they are shit!

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #1781 on: September 19, 2020, 11:00:06 PM »
so i think i'm finally getting into cycling... feel like it's been a long time coming. gives me some sort of high that i don't know if skating ever could. anyway, what are good ways to get faster? bike up hills a lot? riding techniques? i'm tryna cook and also not spend money upgrading my bike.

edit: also weird question but any recs for good cycling content on instagram, etc.?

igrindtwinkies

• Rep: 27
  • S T R A I G H T J A C K E T
« Reply #1782 on: September 20, 2020, 12:07:29 AM »
so i think i'm finally getting into cycling... feel like it's been a long time coming. gives me some sort of high that i don't know if skating ever could. anyway, what are good ways to get faster? bike up hills a lot? riding techniques? i'm tryna cook and also not spend money upgrading my bike.

edit: also weird question but any recs for good cycling content on instagram, etc.?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdb7KEc7xJI

No need to spend alot of money on your bike unless your racing competitively.  I ride a used cannondale road bike that I bought for $200.  That being said, I'll likely upgrade in the next few years.

Frank

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #1783 on: September 20, 2020, 01:22:52 AM »

you have friends that are into bikes? ask them for one they don't use. friends give the best deals.

just get a used beater that fits you for a start, if you get a nice frame for your size, you can pretty much upgrade the rest as you go.

but that can be costly, depending on how neurotic you get with upgrading. i got my bike from my buddy when he bought a new one, could have made it ridable with 50 bucks but probably spent 200,- to make it to my liking. almost as much as his cheap ass new bike, but probably better parts on a longer lasting frame. my only problem is that the frame is one size too big for me but that only sucks when i get on, riding position is fairly comfy. so if you get the right size frame from the start you can save yourself a lot of hassle as you can change out everything else pretty much easily and cheaply if you go second hand parts.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1784 on: September 20, 2020, 04:24:54 AM »

Look up Terry Barensten

Donít know if itís spelt that way

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1785 on: September 20, 2020, 05:51:10 AM »
dear god, pogacar just made our whole nation experience sophie's choice, so many emotions at the same time

as a nation, we've also had at least one athlete/team experiencing some incredible achievement each year (for us to root for), but I cannot recall a time when we were so overwhelmed by the sheer tragedy of one athlete (roglic) and the birth of a fucking legend (pogacar) at the same time

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #1786 on: September 20, 2020, 06:41:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Look up Terry Barensten

Donít know if itís spelt that way

Thatís a good one. I also enjoy Dustin Kleinís channel, heís more in the woods on trails. Depends on what kinda riding you like.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1787 on: September 20, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »
dear god, pogacar just made our whole nation experience sophie's choice, so many emotions at the same time

as a nation, we've also had at least one athlete/team experiencing some incredible achievement each year (for us to root for), but I cannot recall a time when we were so overwhelmed by the sheer tragedy of one athlete (roglic) and the birth of a fucking legend (pogacar) at the same time

That was beyond incredible.  I was a little sad that it was happening.  But it;s undeniable.  The kid did it without a team any team members to be found on most  of the hard days.  Then to finish with that TT.  Congrats to your entire country.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1788 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:38 AM »
Picked up a Surly Steamroller the other day on FB marketplace. Been looking to get my hands on one for a while. It rides so smooth.  :D

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #1789 on: September 20, 2020, 10:28:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you have friends that are into bikes? ask them for one they don't use. friends give the best deals.

just get a used beater that fits you for a start, if you get a nice frame for your size, you can pretty much upgrade the rest as you go.

but that can be costly, depending on how neurotic you get with upgrading. i got my bike from my buddy when he bought a new one, could have made it ridable with 50 bucks but probably spent 200,- to make it to my liking. almost as much as his cheap ass new bike, but probably better parts on a longer lasting frame. my only problem is that the frame is one size too big for me but that only sucks when i get on, riding position is fairly comfy. so if you get the right size frame from the start you can save yourself a lot of hassle as you can change out everything else pretty much easily and cheaply if you go second hand parts.
i actually have a bike i picked up on craigslist that i like a lot. looked into it and it used to be the house brand for a high-end bike shop in the city, so i guess although it's a few decades old it's still a fairly solid bike.