Author Topic: bikes  (Read 305893 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: bikes
« Reply #1830 on: October 07, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »
Love seeing the Stragglers and Steamrollers on here. I have the Vegan Brooks on my Straggler. It's been great. Did a 110 mile day on it and my ass felt good. Legs cramp galore at the pub after but so it goes...

Bizarro Jerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #1831 on: October 07, 2020, 04:36:58 PM »
Damn, I didn't know brooks made a vegan saddle. I lucked out and my steamroller came with a b17 on it which retail for like 120 or so. As a vegan I hate that it's leather but god damn is it more comfy than my spoon charge saddle that's on my state fixed gear.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1832 on: October 07, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »
Finally, after months of waiting for all parts to arrive I have my new commuter. Surly Straggler in the 650b version, sram rival x11, and the biggest tires I’ve ever ridden. Very happy with that one.

Hell yeah, Matze.  That looks great.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #1833 on: October 09, 2020, 07:30:30 AM »
 Just finished my new(old) whip:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 07:40:36 AM by skatekm0 »

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1834 on: October 09, 2020, 09:09:01 AM »
i want dis bike

mArLeY

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1835 on: October 09, 2020, 10:30:18 AM »
^

looks gnarly and like a lot of fun

• Rep: 58
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1836 on: October 09, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »
New Affinity frame finally came in this week, finished building it out yesterday:

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1837 on: October 09, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »

This looks, and is, great, but what's up with the seat post?
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #1838 on: October 09, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
New Affinity frame finally came in this week, finished building it out yesterday:

Amazing!
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1839 on: October 09, 2020, 12:10:18 PM »
mArLeY

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #1840 on: October 09, 2020, 01:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This looks, and is, great, but what's up with the seat post?

Thanks! It's an integrated seatpost. Total trend from the 2009 that was big and has come and gone in cycling since then. I wanted to try it out. Honestly, I notice no difference from using a regular seatpost but it looks cool.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1841 on: October 09, 2020, 06:02:53 PM »

The Kissena is a beautiful bike, that’s an amazing looking rig

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1842 on: October 09, 2020, 08:41:57 PM »
think it's finally time to get some proper biking shoes. my bike has those double-sided shimano spd pedals... are there road shoes that clip in to those?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1843 on: October 09, 2020, 09:21:26 PM »
think it's finally time to get some proper biking shoes. my bike has those double-sided shimano spd pedals... are there road shoes that clip in to those?

I am getting the Fizik Terra Powerstrap X4 soon. Looks like a road shoe but works on SPD pedals. Not sure if the strap is as functional as other shoes but I dig how they look.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1844 on: October 09, 2020, 09:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am getting the Fizik Terra Powerstrap X4 soon. Looks like a road shoe but works on SPD pedals. Not sure if the strap is as functional as other shoes but I dig how they look.

good looks! those look dope. actually came across a local shop that looks like they have the x5
i guess they're technically gravel/mtb shoes or no? think at my level think i just need to get clipped in for the first time regardless

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1845 on: October 09, 2020, 10:15:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
good looks! those look dope. actually came across a local shop that looks like they have the x5
i guess they're technically gravel/mtb shoes or no? think at my level think i just need to get clipped in for the first time regardless

I have the terra x5’s, and I love them. Some people say that fiziks run narrow, but I fit in them just fine (and I usually have to stretch out janoskis for context). You’ll need SPD cleats rather than SPD-SL cleats, as these particular shoes are mtb shoes like you mentioned. Just don’t overtighten the boa strap on these too much because if that breaks, you’ve just got a really expensive and clunky slipper.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1846 on: October 09, 2020, 10:27:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I have the terra x5’s, and I love them. Some people say that fiziks run narrow, but I fit in them just fine (and I usually have to stretch out janoskis for context). You’ll need SPD cleats rather than SPD-SL cleats, as these particular shoes are mtb shoes like you mentioned. Just don’t overtighten the boa strap on these too much because if that breaks, you’ve just got a really expensive and clunky slipper.
in skate terms how narrow are we talking? nike and cons are a little narrow for me but not so far as they're unwearable. noob question but do shoes normally come with a set of cleats or you have to buy them separately? pretty sure my pedals are spd after looking at a lot of photos and videos

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1847 on: October 09, 2020, 11:13:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
in skate terms how narrow are we talking? nike and cons are a little narrow for me but not so far as they're unwearable. noob question but do shoes normally come with a set of cleats or you have to buy them separately? pretty sure my pedals are spd after looking at a lot of photos and videos

No problem, this is a great place to learn and ask questions - the shoes are definitely not too too narrow. I usually stuff the toes of janoskis before I skate them to stretch them out width wise, and even then I have developed calluses on my pinkie toes due to the constant rubbing while skating. I’m actually skating jack Purcell’s now, and while they are narrow, I find them to work just fine after breaking them in. The fiziks *shouldnt* be an issue for you in terms of width if you don’t have too significant of issues with nikes etc.

Shoes will not typically come with cleats, and yes I believe that you’re looking for the smaller, metal spd style cleats as opposed to the larger triangular spd sl style. And unless you’re looking to stay exclusively on pavement, you’re probably in the right place. Spd is smaller, and the soles of the mtb shoes will help you avoid say slipping out and falling on your ass in the middle of a convenience store. I hope this helps!

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1848 on: October 09, 2020, 11:23:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

No problem, this is a great place to learn and ask questions - the shoes are definitely not too too narrow. I usually stuff the toes of janoskis before I skate them to stretch them out width wise, and even then I have developed calluses on my pinkie toes due to the constant rubbing while skating. I’m actually skating jack Purcell’s now, and while they are narrow, I find them to work just fine after breaking them in. The fiziks *shouldnt* be an issue for you in terms of width if you don’t have too significant of issues with nikes etc.

Shoes will not typically come with cleats, and yes I believe that you’re looking for the smaller, metal spd style cleats as opposed to the larger triangular spd sl style. And unless you’re looking to stay exclusively on pavement, you’re probably in the right place. Spd is smaller, and the soles of the mtb shoes will help you avoid say slipping out and falling on your ass in the middle of a convenience store. I hope this helps!
so sick, thanks for the insight. i'll be on pavement, but i like utilitarian things so having some grip while off bike sounds good to me. think i'm gonna try to pick them up tomorrow  :)

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1849 on: October 10, 2020, 01:43:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Great choice Fong, I’ve been running the x4 in olive since late April ish. I love them, the Velcro strap does a great job securing the foot and allows for thousands of possible levels of snug/looseness. My only complaint to date is the area on the sole directly beneath the cleat is a slippery plastic so if you miss locking in your foot glides right off the pedal, at least the ones I was running. Put some new ones in last night that offer a little more area so it might help. But I love my X4’s
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1850 on: October 10, 2020, 06:56:15 AM »

This and the previous yeti are so nice.  World champs this weekend should be good ti will be crazy if it snows.

chappers

« Reply #1851 on: October 10, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
thats a lovely build matze, enjoy mate

anyone fuck with ‘cruiser’ bmx’s with the big wheels? considering a fairdale taj with 26ers or the sunday high c with 29ers. not sure about the small cogset (i think thats the name, i dont really know bikes)

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1852 on: October 10, 2020, 10:01:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Great choice Fong, I’ve been running the x4 in olive since late April ish. I love them, the Velcro strap does a great job securing the foot and allows for thousands of possible levels of snug/looseness. My only complaint to date is the area on the sole directly beneath the cleat is a slippery plastic so if you miss locking in your foot glides right off the pedal, at least the ones I was running. Put some new ones in last night that offer a little more area so it might help. But I love my X4’s
Thanks for the heads up. This would be my first bike shoe and I never want to buy a shoe and replace it because it didn't work but I guess that is inevitable. Good to know the shoe is snug but I current ride with sneakers so I assume anything is snug compared to that. Also I don't even have a mountain bike but I heard mountain bike shoes are more practical if you aren't racing and you are on and off the bike. I just felt these were the right choice unless someone else can recommend me another pair.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1853 on: October 11, 2020, 08:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Thanks for the heads up. This would be my first bike shoe and I never want to buy a shoe and replace it because it didn't work but I guess that is inevitable. Good to know the shoe is snug but I current ride with sneakers so I assume anything is snug compared to that. Also I don't even have a mountain bike but I heard mountain bike shoes are more practical if you aren't racing and you are on and off the bike. I just felt these were the right choice unless someone else can recommend me another pair.

I’m in the same boat as far as not wanting to keep buying cycle shoes. And the issue I listed only rarely happens now that I have the hang of it, happened more in the beginning when I first switched.  Not enough to be a real issue i suppose. I don’t own a mountain bike either, i have a gravel bike which is a road bike with knobby tires and the track bike. I think Fizik has these listed as gravel shoes. They are essentially road shoes with chunky rubber next to the cleats. Off bike they are pretty good, I don’t have any issues walking around the house to gather my stuff for the ride. I haven’t tried anything else on the market but I would buy these again without hesitation, they have a great price point even at full price, snagged mine on amazon for about $100 which I think is $50 less than full price. They look nice and fit my foot well. As an intro pair to cycle shoes they are treating me well, I think they’ll do the same for you.

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1854 on: October 11, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »
These are great MTB shoes for SPD cleats

https://www.rei.com/product/141419/shimano-me3-mountain-bike-shoes-mens

Not too much $$ and comfy on and off bike.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
« Reply #1855 on: October 12, 2020, 01:01:32 PM »
thats a lovely build matze, enjoy mate

anyone fuck with ‘cruiser’ bmx’s with the big wheels? considering a fairdale taj with 26ers or the sunday high c with 29ers. not sure about the small cogset (i think thats the name, i dont really know bikes)
Got a guy that does a lot of retro replica builds and 29er cruisers for people. He did this Mongoose replica for my boss and I want to steal it haha

Theres also a crew that organizes rides on 29ers in my area too,mild scene.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Acky Jacky

« Reply #1856 on: October 12, 2020, 01:37:28 PM »
Finally, after months of waiting for all parts to arrive I have my new commuter. Surly Straggler in the 650b version, sram rival x11, and the biggest tires I’ve ever ridden. Very happy with that one.

Firstly, nice bike!

Secondly, is that wall mount custom? If not can you share where you got it?

Third, I never have had a Brooks leather saddle but I dont think the Vegan (all-weather) one necessarily is too rough on pants (especially as a skateboarder). It did smooth out some corduroys I like, but I assumed any saddle would have if you ride/perspire enough.

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #1857 on: October 12, 2020, 02:04:39 PM »
I have both a B17 (on my daily ride - a steamroller) and a C15 (vegan alla weather) on my Genesis Croix de Fer and the C15 does destroy jeans.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1858 on: October 13, 2020, 12:15:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Firstly, nice bike!

Secondly, is that wall mount custom? If not can you share where you got it?

Third, I never have had a Brooks leather saddle but I dont think the Vegan (all-weather) one necessarily is too rough on pants (especially as a skateboarder). It did smooth out some corduroys I like, but I assumed any saddle would have if you ride/perspire enough.

thanks man! the mount is far away from custum - it's by a big European coffee manufactory called "tchibo". Everyone in Germany makes fun of their non-food products,  but they have some affordable quality stuff. the mount is out of stock though.

after riding the vegan brooks for a week my butt feels way better and I think I'll keep it.

switchmongojazzpush

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1859 on: October 18, 2020, 08:45:35 PM »
G'day pals, really keen on getting a gravel bike to do more bike camping.

I've looked at a couple of options and they are fairly pricey. However, I'm a student and looking to also use this bike as a commuter, so I want to try and build one without spending too much.

One of my teachers built his own with an old steel frame tour bike and some gravel tires.

Just wondering if anyone had advice or experience converting a tour bike to gravel bike and would be able to lend a hand!

Cheers :-)