Author Topic: bikes  (Read 306586 times)

Bay10Blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: bikes
« Reply #2280 on: June 11, 2021, 07:50:13 PM »
Man, I've been thinking about getting a new road bike. I was looking at Bianchi's at first (as my work can get a discount on it) but now, I'm thinking about going modern/custom steel rather than carbon.

I'm thinking the Speedvagen ready-made Disc OG (photo below) but wanted to know who are some other custom/modern steel/Ti bike builders I should look into? Also, my budget is $6k. Thanks.

Mosaic bikes look amazing.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2281 on: June 12, 2021, 02:32:13 AM »

While I'm still waiting to get my gravel bike I took my trek for some offroad action around our archipelago, and for my surprise my 28mm Conti's handled offroad much better than I though they would. 5 days, slept in hammock and woke up with sun, life is just too good. (click for bigger pic)
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2282 on: June 12, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
Best thread ever.. I love bikes and here are the best ones, congrats guys

caloi 10 1980

this bring back many memories, those cobblestones, the rancid smell of piss... bike is looking good with thicker wheels!!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2283 on: June 13, 2021, 04:34:40 AM »
I went on a group ride with a coworker (2 months in in my new job) and I though we agreed on a gravel climb of 800 vertical meters. He brought his $2000 ultegra-equiped road bike (and me with my $250 hybrid) and we changed plans to a mostly road climb (but still the same gravel finish). However, he decided we would only do the 600 vertical climb on tarmac and not continue on. Needless to say, I got annihilated, haha.

We did a windy flat section before that, so I never really stood and chance and while I cannot go and buy $2K bike right now, I need some info on bib shorts. I had normal shorts on and my butt was fucking killing me (legs also, but lungs could push harder).

I'm looking at Decathlon bibs and all of them have a few very negative reviews. So are they really so bad and I should go brand-name?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2284 on: June 13, 2021, 06:46:49 AM »
absolutely go brand name- that off brand shit will tear in half a ride, not to mention shitting chamois quality, shitty stitching etc.

a good pair of sugoi’s or santini’s will run u like 80 bucks, but it’s worth it.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #2285 on: June 13, 2021, 08:05:05 AM »
This seller on eBay usually has some really good deals on name-brand bib shorts: https://www.ebay.com/usr/packerbacker88?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Most are "new old stock", so they've been sitting around for a couple of years. If you leave one of their items on your "watch list" they'll offer you a discount in a couple of days. I bought three pairs of Specialized Women's SL Pro Cycling Bib Shorts. They're comfy, more so than my Assos bibs.  The men's version is for sale too.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #2286 on: June 13, 2021, 06:10:12 PM »
I went on a group ride with a coworker (2 months in in my new job) and I though we agreed on a gravel climb of 800 vertical meters. He brought his $2000 ultegra-equiped road bike (and me with my $250 hybrid) and we changed plans to a mostly road climb (but still the same gravel finish). However, he decided we would only do the 600 vertical climb on tarmac and not continue on. Needless to say, I got annihilated, haha.

We did a windy flat section before that, so I never really stood and chance and while I cannot go and buy $2K bike right now, I need some info on bib shorts. I had normal shorts on and my butt was fucking killing me (legs also, but lungs could push harder).

I'm looking at Decathlon bibs and all of them have a few very negative reviews. So are they really so bad and I should go brand-name?
You should also check if your seat is right for you.  There are ways to measure your sit bone width.  It makes a big difference having a proper fitting saddle.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2287 on: June 13, 2021, 11:58:44 PM »
thanks for the advice, going to buy some decent brand-name shorts (bibs seem overkill for my cycling activity level). I will not upgrade my seat until I buy a house, since my bikes is always vulnerable to theft even though it is not expensive at all (which I plan to do soonish)

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2288 on: June 14, 2021, 04:09:58 AM »
thanks for the advice, going to buy some decent brand-name shorts (bibs seem overkill for my cycling activity level). I will not upgrade my seat until I buy a house, since my bikes is always vulnerable to theft even though it is not expensive at all (which I plan to do soonish)
I bought shorts at first, but switched to bibs because they just stay in place better. Shorts were constantly having to be adjusted, pulled up, etc. you can still wear normal clothes over a bib.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2289 on: June 14, 2021, 04:18:19 AM »
i prefer bibs simply because you never have to think about your ass hanging out

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2290 on: June 14, 2021, 06:33:57 AM »
pardon me for interrupting your bib discussion. even though i'm reading up since i probably will buy one sooner than later since i now have to cycle for work everyday. but i have to get some madness off my chest/have to ask a wwud question.

rn i got two bike setups. single speed i restored last year from my friend, 90s atb i bought a month ago. the atb rides fine really. i don't really need to do stuff on it. i just want to mod it up of course. meanwhile i stripped parts of my single speed. pretty much all the nice parts that fit are now on the m/atb. part of the reason why i only ride the atb is that it's 26'' and the frame is my size, it's just way more comfortable. my single speeds frame is actually two sizes too big. so now i don't know what to focus on. i feel like i'm short of a plan other than ordering parts that i think are cool but i need to set priorities. my 5 main problems with my bikes rn:

-mtb seatpost is seized, tried my best with several lubricants, i need to put it a bit lower, just an inch would be great.

-mtb brakes are old ass cantis with broken spring cages, hard to find a v-brake replacement rn because parts are sold out everywhere. they still work, but i better get that sorted, right? i wouldn't bomb too steep of a downhill with them tbh...

-single speed frame is too big and i can't for the life of me find a used replacement in my size. it's xxl sizes on local craigslist equivalent. i might crack and save up for a surly or brother frame and preorder that so i actually have a bike that fits. 

-i still need decent saddles for both bikes because all my saddles are cheap bottom shelf trash and i can feel it. actually measured my seatbones so at least i got that info.

-both bikes will need new cranks and the mtb actually could use a new cassette rn since two sprockets are pretty much useless, they are so run down. i don't really run these gears so as of now it doesn't bother me much. the single speed has a weird non standard bottom bracket that has only one fitting replacement bb on the market and that one seems to be shitty. getting another frame that takes standard bbs might actually be smarter in the long run?

if anyone has any suggestions what to do with what, or what to focus on, i'd highly appreciate it. if not that's fine, the ranting helps get the madness out of my head anyway. since i know myself too well, it just ends with me building a track bike probably...

my friends start to think i'm proficient with bikes and lately i've been getting asked to look over their bikes a lot and fix their little issues. it's kind of cool but often i'm just like "yeah, the problem is this but i don't have the tools to fix this so better bring it to the shop." when it comes to servicing bottom brackets and stuff for example, parts that require very specific tools to get off of and on to your bike.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2291 on: June 14, 2021, 06:48:55 AM »
If I were you, I’d try to sell that ss. It’s too big and it sounds like a pain in the ass. Put the money in the mtb, it fits you, or save up for something you really want.

Saddles? I have a brooks carved c17 on my gravel bike. I grabbed a steel wtb speed for $40 at my lbs for that hardrock, it’s comfortable for being so cheap.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2292 on: June 14, 2021, 07:04:34 AM »
If I were you, I’d try to sell that ss. It’s too big and it sounds like a pain in the ass. Put the money in the mtb, it fits you, or save up for something you really want.

Saddles? I have a brooks carved c17 on my gravel bike. I grabbed a steel wtb speed for $40 at my lbs for that hardrock, it’s comfortable for being so cheap.

yeah i thought about that. i would probably strip anything still of use from the frame and then give it away for couple bucks only. it's pretty run down. but since bikes are hard to come by these days i guess there's no shame in taking some money for an at least functional frame that is not bend. thing is i only want to get rid of it once i have a replacement going. i need a bike for work. not a courier, no need to go fast as hell, but i still need it to get around, i even get paid money to maintain it for work. so if one has an actual defect that takes time sorting out i have another one to fall back on. longterm the mtb is gonna be the workhorse bike.

i want to try a brooks cambium saddle at some point. i have a few nice saddles on my shortlist at the second hand site. a selle italia flite titanium for 35,- and a another selle italia turbo that looks super sick because the cover is super beat up and it costs only 20. there's also a fizik one for 20 which is an insane deal on that saddle, but the saddle itself is pretty ugly, haha. i will have made some cash by the end of the week so i might purchase one of those if they are still available. for now it's only second hand stuff. i have to get a few months worth of paychecks in before i can afford nice new parts.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2293 on: June 18, 2021, 04:52:18 PM »

Decided I wanted to spend some time on my Steamroller after I retrieved it from a thief last week. The goal was a fixed gear metric century. Mostly flat and mostly pain free. 62 miles. Now to put set up the rear break and free wheel again.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2294 on: June 18, 2021, 05:48:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Best thread ever.. I love bikes and here are the best ones, congrats guys

caloi 10 1980
[close]

this bring back many memories, those cobblestones, the rancid smell of piss... bike is looking good with thicker wheels!!

Centro de sp. Hahhahaha

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2295 on: June 26, 2021, 06:13:32 PM »
Man, I've been thinking about getting a new road bike. I was looking at Bianchi's at first (as my work can get a discount on it) but now, I'm thinking about going modern/custom steel rather than carbon.

I'm thinking the Speedvagen ready-made Disc OG (photo below) but wanted to know who are some other custom/modern steel/Ti bike builders I should look into? Also, my budget is $6k. Thanks.

i know i'm late on this, but:

i have an indy fab, and a stinner. girlfriend has a vinyl. all are good, though the rear triangle on the stinner is a floppy noodle, which bugs the hell out of me.

Ti wise, sky is the limit. Mosiac, Firefly, Baum, 333fab

Steel wise, Breadwinner, Rock Lobster, Hunter, Speedvagen, Moth Attack. Sky is the limit when it comes to steel.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2296 on: June 26, 2021, 06:15:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i have an indy fab, and a stinner. girlfriend has a vinyl. all are good, though the rear triangle on the stinner is a floppy noodle, which bugs the hell out of me.

Ti wise, sky is the limit. Mosiac, Firefly, Baum, 333fab, Moots, Seven

Steel wise, Breadwinner, Rock Lobster, Hunter, Speedvagen, Moth Attack, Sklar. Sky is the limit when it comes to steel.

I've ridden all those in some form of bike and they all rip. Mosiac is my next road bike, Breadwinner is my next gravel bike, rock lobster is my next cross bike.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2297 on: June 26, 2021, 07:28:59 PM »
get a moth attack- that’s my homegirl from way back and she does sick shit. my ex raced for their cx team and her custom bike was bananas

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #2298 on: June 27, 2021, 06:56:05 AM »
Any advice on a hybrid for about a grand? I currently have a marin fairfax and am looking for an upgrade. Something that can handle flying of curbs without being damaged but still mostly a road bike. Some gravel patches but not full gravel rides.

Currently looking at a trek fx 3 or verve 3 but open to ideas and i have no bike brand loyalties.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2299 on: June 27, 2021, 07:26:26 AM »
anything you can get ahold of is pretty good rn. i’ve sold a lot of fx1’s to college kids and seen them come back looking like someone set it on fire but still rolling and shifting pretty okay if that is helpful to your curb jumping needs

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2300 on: June 28, 2021, 07:09:07 AM »
Picking up my first gravel bike tomorrow. Niner steel rdo 9 though reviews say that is isn't really a gravel or cross bike so we will see.  I pretty much only mountain bike but there aren't really trails where I live now so hope fully this will open up longer rides.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #2301 on: June 28, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ti wise, sky is the limit. Mosiac, Firefly, Baum, 333fab, Moots, Seven

Steel wise, Breadwinner, Rock Lobster, Hunter, Speedvagen, Moth Attack, Sklar. Sky is the limit when it comes to steel.
[close]

I've ridden all those in some form of bike and they all rip. Mosiac is my next road bike, Breadwinner is my next gravel bike, rock lobster is my next cross bike.

Ti is far out of my budget unless I get stock Litespeed or Lynskey — which I wouldn't be against. If I had the budget, Baum or Firefly would already have my money.

A lot of the steel builders I like — Breadwinner, Chumba, etc. — feel like they specialize in all gravel/all-road bikes.

Moth Attack is a builder I forgot about but need look into. Wish Landshark was still building steel. Looks like they've converted to full CF builds and it seems they're not active anymore.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2302 on: June 28, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
Picking up my first gravel bike tomorrow. Niner steel rdo 9 though reviews say that is isn't really a gravel or cross bike so we will see.  I pretty much only mountain bike but there aren't really trails where I live now so hope fully this will open up longer rides.

DUDE, that is sexy. Can you post a groupset side out? What is the groupset?
Gravel is really fun and a great way to hide from the wind and cars. 

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #2303 on: June 28, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I want to invest in a gravel bike, but living in Long Beach, there's not a lot of places to ride "off-road" without having to drive to them. And that's the anti-thesis of why I bike — to bike to places.

Every so often, I'll bike to the mountains to climb, but for the most part I like to start and stop my rides from home.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2304 on: June 29, 2021, 08:19:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I got it off pinkbike, the ad said

4 star Shimano GRX 800 1x build -Reynolds 853 steel frame -Easton EC90 carbon cranks -DT Swiss G1800 wheels, Thru axles -SCHWALBE G-ONE ALLROUND EVO SUPER TERRAIN 700x45 tires -SHIMANO XT M8000 11SP 11-42T -Niner carbon seatpost -SHIMANO GRX800 GS 11SP SHADOW PLUS rear derailleur

I keep checking fedex to see if it has been delivered yet.

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2305 on: June 29, 2021, 08:28:29 AM »

Man I know nothing about bikes other than riding them but that bike is BEAUTIFUL imo one of the best looking bikes I ever saw

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2306 on: June 29, 2021, 04:07:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

4 star Shimano GRX 800 1x build -Reynolds 853 steel frame -Easton EC90 carbon cranks -DT Swiss G1800 wheels, Thru axles -SCHWALBE G-ONE ALLROUND EVO SUPER TERRAIN 700x45 tires -SHIMANO XT M8000 11SP 11-42T -Niner carbon seatpost -SHIMANO GRX800 GS 11SP SHADOW PLUS rear derailleur

I've thought about buying that bike three times, but couldn;t pull the trigger.  You're going to love it.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #2307 on: June 29, 2021, 05:31:23 PM »
anyone have a local that happens to have the fairdale skate rack? even better if in canada. thanks

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2308 on: June 30, 2021, 04:14:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

you have made a very good decision to buy that bike. That is a quality bike full of quality parts and components, beautiful looking as well. Look good, feel good.
I believe the grx has a clutch system to keep the chain from rattling around on bumpy terrain?

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2309 on: June 30, 2021, 02:43:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
you have made a very good decision to buy that bike. That is a quality bike full of quality parts and components, beautiful looking as well. Look good, feel good.
I believe the grx has a clutch system to keep the chain from rattling around on bumpy terrain?

it does indeed!