Author Topic: bikes  (Read 305778 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: bikes
« Reply #2340 on: August 03, 2021, 09:16:57 PM »
Expand Quote
^

love that topview, looks classy.

gonna pick up a new stem tomorrow and maybe a handlebar.

i have this dream that involves expensive imports. namely oury v2 grips in gum from blue lug. and then i want to get a brooks cambium in orange. that thing looks like a basketball basically, it's sick. also it rains like hell here and i'm tired of a wet ass after every rainshower. my saddle sucks up so much water it's not even funny. and i did the plastic bag thing but come on, i don't want ride around like this. that cambium would be weather proof and my butt would be less wet just from sitting.

anyone got experiences with oury v2 grips or cambium saddles?
[close]

I have a brooks cambium on one of my rigs. Does a number on the crotch of pants. No issues if I’m running bibs though.
thanks for the response.

hmmmm... i have heard they eat pants for breakfast. i have no bibs yet, but i probably wouldn't want my everyday bike to be mainly comfy with bibs. then again i could try it anyway and always sell the saddle or put it on my lesser used bike or keep it for whenever. these don't really seem to lose value as long as they remain in a good condition. i'm still saving up anyway, still open for whatever. just for functionality and because they come from around where i grew up and are a cool company i actually would also be down to get an ergon saddle.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #2341 on: August 04, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^

i have this dream that involves expensive imports. namely oury v2 grips in gum from blue lug. and then i want to get a brooks cambium in orange. that thing looks like a basketball basically, it's sick. also it rains like hell here and i'm tired of a wet ass after every rainshower. my saddle sucks up so much water it's not even funny. and i did the plastic bag thing but come on, i don't want ride around like this. that cambium would be weather proof and my butt would be less wet just from sitting.

[close]

I have a brooks cambium on one of my rigs. Does a number on the crotch of pants. No issues if I’m running bibs though.
[close]
thanks for the response.

hmmmm... i have heard they eat pants for breakfast. i have no bibs yet, but i probably wouldn't want my everyday bike to be mainly comfy with bibs. then again i could try it anyway and always sell the saddle or put it on my lesser used bike or keep it for whenever. these don't really seem to lose value as long as they remain in a good condition. i'm still saving up anyway, still open for whatever. just for functionality and because they come from around where i grew up and are a cool company i actually would also be down to get an ergon saddle.

Was just going to mention ergon - they seem to be the saddle of choice for the non-bib short bikepacking crowd, so it’ll probably suit your needs for cruising around town just fine. Lots of shapes to choose from too.

No experience with the gum Ourys, but I’ve liked them in other colors. Like most rubber grips, they can get pretty slick if you’re super sweaty or it’s raining out.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2342 on: August 04, 2021, 10:12:03 AM »
How quickly does everyone go through their tires? (road bikes)

I just had mine changed in April and did only around 1000km on them and the rear tire already got fucked, wasn't a cheap pair of tires either (like 140$)

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
« Reply #2343 on: August 04, 2021, 12:06:27 PM »
probably should get less fancy shit. fancy shit is meant to be light, not to last. thickslicks for example will last for a long ass time, and run about 60 for a pair. i only have a gravel bike right now and have two pairs of tires that i rotate occasionally, panaracer gravel king w/ knobs, collectively they've served me for quite some time (several thousand miles) and are still basically fine.

but also if you want to stay light, just make sure to keep stuff inflated to recommended pressure, switch front and back occasionally, and don't use on a trainer.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2344 on: August 04, 2021, 02:56:56 PM »

I just had mine changed in April and did only around 1000km on them and the rear tire already got fucked, wasn't a cheap pair of tires either (like 140$)

I have 2000 miles on a pair of Gatorskins and they're still going strong.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #2345 on: August 05, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
Gatorskins? Bro... They are nearly 10W slower then GP5000, per tire. GP5000 is the perfect balance of speed and puncture resistance at the moment, imo.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2346 on: August 05, 2021, 01:34:41 PM »
Last bike was a Linus commuter bike, 2 speed coaster hub, bullhorns, Brooks C17 cambium saddle and some flat BMX composite pedals:

Picked this up a few weeks ago and added a few goodies; been trying to find a bike in stock that I would settle for/choose and out of the 4 I was looking at this was the first to come back in stock so I jumped (Covid supply issues and all).

State Bicycle BLACK LABEL V2 (raw) Single Speed/freewheel
Carbon bullhorns
Zipp Service Course Cyclocross Bicycle Handlebar Tape
SRAM TT 500 Aero Brake Lever Set (Black)
Fizik Argo R3-140mm - Vento , Black
OneUp Components Composite Pedal

Next up rims and cranks, etc.

Really fun, stiff and fast af.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 02:18:18 PM by Xen »

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2347 on: August 05, 2021, 02:22:05 PM »
^

What that top view didn't show you was a nicely aged Brooks b17(I think)... Customer recovered their stolen bike, and tweakers had swapped all the parts, including putting a nice stolen Brooks on it. But they wanted a "nice squishy seat" and asked us to toss the Brooks... Informed them it's an expensive and nice saddle but they didn't care. Now it's mine.

That said, I tried it the Cambium and it didn't work at all for me. But I'm very picky, there's basically only two saddles in the world I'll ride. Boss has them on multiple bikes and the quality is great. I just couldn't get over the feel of it.  And our makes great grips, haven't done the v2 myself, but sold plenty

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2348 on: August 06, 2021, 04:43:19 AM »
Expand Quote
^

[close]

What that top view didn't show you was a nicely aged Brooks b17(I think)... Customer recovered their stolen bike, and tweakers had swapped all the parts, including putting a nice stolen Brooks on it. But they wanted a "nice squishy seat" and asked us to toss the Brooks... Informed them it's an expensive and nice saddle but they didn't care. Now it's mine.

That said, I tried it the Cambium and it didn't work at all for me. But I'm very picky, there's basically only two saddles in the world I'll ride. Boss has them on multiple bikes and the quality is great. I just couldn't get over the feel of it.  And our makes great grips, haven't done the v2 myself, but sold plenty

that's a nice customer leftover you got with that brooks saddle!

got a few other saddles i'm trying to check out. there are a few pretty much new sdg bel air 3 listed for about 50. these look good and have good reviews online. the one thing that is important on top of it being reasonably comfy and being the right fit is that it can hold up to bad weather.

man i'm really unreasonably lusting over these grips to the point i'm down to order shit from japan for a high amount of shipping. i'll probably end up getting grey ones domestically.

still want a blue lug backpack though, ha.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2349 on: August 06, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »

I used to illistrate this by telling customers that race car tires only last a couple of laps.  Built for speed and traction, not to last.

I'm on my second set of Specialized Roubaix tires.  Comfortable and quick enough, rarely get flats.  Last about 1500 miles.  And they were $80 a set.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2350 on: August 15, 2021, 07:23:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
slap i dont know how to google,
i need help finding a website to buy mtb components,
something like tactics but for mtbs
please help :'(
[close]
Maybe Jenson? Idk, my local bike shop has a pretty good website and it links to the distribution inventory, so they can order whatever’s out there.

What are you looking for?
[close]

I need a 35mm long stem I believe and I want to convert my front gears from 3x to 1x, I have no idea what I will buy
[close]
God speed. I thought about doing that to my old mtb but the rabbit hole I went down wasn’t worth it. Don’t be this guy.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRYU6pRlmGY/?utm_medium=copy_link

I finally went down the rabbit hole and converted from a 3x chainring to 1x. I thought it would be easy after watching all the tutorials I could find on youtube, but little did I know what was waiting for me. After many trips to the local bike shop to buy tools I thought I was ready and although I bought everything second hand, it was still kinda pricey in the end, not sure If I made a good decision. I got a bottom bracket removal tool, another different tool to install the new bb, a chain removal tool, a pedal removal tool, an 8mm allen key, I'm not savvy on tools and I took forever browsing the tool bin to find stuff. On top of my inability to install the chain, the weather was extremely hot and I don't know what I was thinking but I decided to do the installation outside wiht the sun blazing on my face. It took me 2 days of work because I made lots of mistakes with the chain installation, I put it on wrong at least 4 times. Now it seems like I need to figure out the chain alignment... :)

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2351 on: August 16, 2021, 11:51:39 AM »
Gatorskins? Bro... They are nearly 10W slower then GP5000, per tire. GP5000 is the perfect balance of speed and puncture resistance at the moment, imo.

I dig the GP5000s. Used to run them. But Goathead thorns have gotten through them. Gatorskin Hardshells are the only ones that have been impervious to those things. Which is why I rock em.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2352 on: August 16, 2021, 12:15:24 PM »
 I’ve been riding my gp5000’s about 1000km’s now, on every terrain possible and I really like them a lot, no punctures yet. We’ll see how they’ll hold, atleast they are fast as fuck!
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2353 on: August 16, 2021, 03:40:48 PM »
Any thoughts on the Eddy Merckx ready made steel bikes?

Seems like they want to bring back high-end steel and their Strada isn't too bad - maxing out at $3k

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2354 on: August 18, 2021, 03:29:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Maybe Jenson? Idk, my local bike shop has a pretty good website and it links to the distribution inventory, so they can order whatever’s out there.

[close]

I need a 35mm long stem I believe and I want to convert my front gears from 3x to 1x, I have no idea what I will buy
[close]
God speed. I thought about doing that to my old mtb but the rabbit hole I went down wasn’t worth it. Don’t be this guy.
[close]

Whats wrong with that bike? That thing is pretty sick besides the slammed dropper post.  Olderish Mountain bikes turned monstercross/commuters are pretty rad.  Sorry if I am missing something but I would love to have a rig like that.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2355 on: August 18, 2021, 05:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Whats wrong with that bike? That thing is pretty sick besides the slammed dropper post.  Olderish Mountain bikes turned monstercross/commuters are pretty rad.  Sorry if I am missing something but I would love to have a rig like that.

it's a dope bike, i agree. but i guess the thing is it has some ridiculuos comps on there for a rat commuter. dropper post, ahead stem looks fairly expensive, looks like an velo orange handlebar, expensive flashy chainring, even the rack seems to be a nitto rack. all put on to a totally beat up, if very cool, frame. at least that's what i thought was odd about it. it's like a cool beat up car fitted with an expensive sound system sort of.

well the tyres look a good bit muddy so i guess this really gets used for dirt, so maybe the dropper post actually comes in handy for whoever rides it.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2356 on: August 18, 2021, 08:12:04 AM »
Anyone riding a Klunker?  I've done the vintage MTB thing a few times, I'm thinking something like a geared Klunker could be fun next time around.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2357 on: August 18, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
I think a dropper post is a great addition to any bike haha. If you've got $100 to spare on a cheap one why not?

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2358 on: August 18, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »
is Deity a good brand or a hipster expensive brand?

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2359 on: August 19, 2021, 11:58:43 AM »
is Deity a good brand or a hipster expensive brand?

Cannot speak to their quality but they're popular with guys who run very overly blinged-out expensive bikes around here. Just makes me think they're a bit on the kooky side. ymmv

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2360 on: August 19, 2021, 05:51:05 PM »

Seems like they want to bring back high-end steel and their Strada isn't too bad - maxing out at $3k

I'm very interested.  Buy the nearest dealer is four hours away.  I'm not dropping that kind of money without a test ride.  But i browse their website every couple of weeks.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2361 on: August 19, 2021, 06:02:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

it's a dope bike, i agree. but i guess the thing is it has some ridiculuos comps on there for a rat commuter. dropper post, ahead stem looks fairly expensive, looks like an velo orange handlebar, expensive flashy chainring, even the rack seems to be a nitto rack. all put on to a totally beat up, if very cool, frame. at least that's what i thought was odd about it. it's like a cool beat up car fitted with an expensive sound system sort of.

well the tyres look a good bit muddy so i guess this really gets used for dirt, so maybe the dropper post actually comes in handy for whoever rides it.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a cool bike, but when you’re welding brazons for disc brakes on a $50 frame you’ve officially done too much.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2362 on: August 19, 2021, 06:08:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a cool bike, but when you’re welding brazons for disc brakes on a $50 frame you’ve officially done too much.

yeah i was actually wondering about that, that back looks like it has an adapter thingy and the fork kind of looks aftermarket or painted to fit the frame.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2363 on: August 19, 2021, 06:51:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm very interested.  Buy the nearest dealer is four hours away.  I'm not dropping that kind of money without a test ride.  But i browse their website every couple of weeks.

And not every Merckx dealer carries the steel. According to their site, it's only a shop in Portland and another in Indiana that are EM steel dealers.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #2364 on: August 19, 2021, 07:30:35 PM »
The bro traded up from the night train and got this and it’s fucking hectic

listen to cosmic psychos

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2365 on: August 24, 2021, 09:18:08 AM »
What’s up Bike Thread

I just got this old (90s?) Trek 720 MultiTrack for $150 on CL last night. I’m not sure what I think about it yet, but I just moved and I wanted something ASAP that I could use to ride around my neighborhood and look for skate spots.

My plan is to use this for riding to spots, maybe grabbing some groceries or beer or cruising over to the local swimming holes. I’m in Austin and so I think it makes sense to go for a gravel bike type vibe. Just took it out for a spin. It feels pretty sluggish on the road, but it’s fun when I get onto gravel, grass, sand, etc.

I kinda hate the handlebars. The shifters are super bulky and the horns/extensions (not sure what they’re called) take up a bunch of what would otherwise be functional hand space.

So if I keep it, I think I want different bars. Any suggestions? I think I’d like something like a riser or a mustache so that I can cruise short distances upright and comfy.

Also interested in a front rack.

Tips? Worth keeping? Curious what all you real bike enthusiasts think.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2366 on: August 24, 2021, 09:39:08 AM »
What’s up Bike Thread

I just got this old (90s?) Trek 720 MultiTrack for $150 on CL last night. I’m not sure what I think about it yet, but I just moved and I wanted something ASAP that I could use to ride around my neighborhood and look for skate spots.

My plan is to use this for riding to spots, maybe grabbing some groceries or beer or cruising over to the local swimming holes. I’m in Austin and so I think it makes sense to go for a gravel bike type vibe. Just took it out for a spin. It feels pretty sluggish on the road, but it’s fun when I get onto gravel, grass, sand, etc.

I kinda hate the handlebars. The shifters are super bulky and the horns/extensions (not sure what they’re called) take up a bunch of what would otherwise be functional hand space.

So if I keep it, I think I want different bars. Any suggestions? I think I’d like something like a riser or a mustache so that I can cruise short distances upright and comfy.

Also interested in a front rack.

Tips? Worth keeping? Curious what all you real bike enthusiasts think.

Personally, I'd switch out the bars to a flat road bar and get correct shifters for it, then throw a rack on the front, switch up the saddle and add straps to the pedals (I hate no foot retention).

Kinda like this bike:

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -326
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2367 on: August 29, 2021, 06:00:22 AM »

Got this to replace my old bike as my ex sucks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 06:15:14 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

sketchyrider

« Reply #2368 on: August 29, 2021, 06:27:04 AM »
bought a cheapo GT mountain bike on the ol craigslist, took it out for a spin and taco'd the front wheel. might have been going too fast for my own good but i also hit a little log that wasn't even that big. the front wheel was a different color and had an unbranded tire so i think dude just slapped a cheap wheel on to get the bike sold. ate shit but mostly bummed about the damage.

now i'm wondering if its worth buying a front rim, especially when it needs a dropper post, possibly a different fork and front derailleur. or just scrap it. i dont know much about bikes really.

might post pics of the gore later.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -326
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2369 on: August 29, 2021, 07:32:38 AM »
bought a cheapo GT mountain bike on the ol craigslist, took it out for a spin and taco'd the front wheel. might have been going too fast for my own good but i also hit a little log that wasn't even that big. the front wheel was a different color and had an unbranded tire so i think dude just slapped a cheap wheel on to get the bike sold. ate shit but mostly bummed about the damage.

now i'm wondering if its worth buying a front rim, especially when it needs a dropper post, possibly a different fork and front derailleur. or just scrap it. i dont know much about bikes really.

might post pics of the gore later.
You might want to look in to pinkbike they’ve got some used gear depending on your front rim disk brakes or brake pads.

Dueces Bitch's