Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304760 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Re: bikes
« Reply #2430 on: September 22, 2021, 01:48:02 PM »
Got hit by a car a couple of months ago, they took off, left me with a broken SRAM shifter. Campy 11 speed Potenza shifters were cheap because of brexit, so I picked up them and a matching rd with a cheaper campy cassette. No matter what the campy rd rubbed the chain, so annoying.

So I got high one night and looked at the specs of pull ratios/cog pitch on here: http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Ended up figuring out you can mate the Potenza shifters with an 11-speed Shimano rd, and a Shimano/SRAM cassette with two 10 speed spacers near the center of the cassette. It rides just as well as my bike with complete Ultegra.

Does anyone else mix and match? When I used to manage a shop people would come in with some jank setups. Prices have been crazy and people are desperate, kinda thinking stuff like this is going to be more commonplace. Pleasently surprized it works so well.

I have, for years, been mixing Campagnolo components of all kinds. My main "gravel" bike is Campy Record 11 with a 9-speed carbon Centaur long cage rear derailleur, which I modified to increase to spring tension to keep chainslap down. I use Shimano hubs with an Ultegra 11-speed chain and 11-34 cassette. Crankset is a Sugino OX 46/30 mated to a Shimano Dura Ace bottom bracket (both are 24mm spindles), shifted with a Shimano CX-70 10-speed "cyclocross" front derailleur (works better on the smaller chainring setup). This is a flawless setup, to be honest, because the pre-2015 Campagnolo is backwards compatible with nearly everything since prior to the advent of indexed shifting, and the front shifter is the ratcheting variety. When you get post-2015, things get a little more complicated, but fortunately the old 11 speed stuff is dirt cheap.

My road bike is Campagnolo 10-Speed Chorus mated to a Shimano 8-speed rear derailleur and 11-32 8 speed cassette, with the top two clicks limited out with my RD. I found an old IRD 10-speed Campagnolo-compatible "Shimano" cassette in my parts bin, so eventually I'll swap to a real Campagnolo derailleur and this cassette, but right now the tires are flat from never riding it, so I don't see why I would bother.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

thebacker

« Reply #2431 on: September 27, 2021, 04:18:26 PM »
Is there a formula four conical full equivalent for tires/wheels?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:30:36 PM by DaveFuck »

AsianVegan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2432 on: September 27, 2021, 04:48:02 PM »
Maybe Gatorskin's for the tyres? 

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #2433 on: September 27, 2021, 05:25:46 PM »

Gatorskins are the go to tire for me. They’re the best all around value, great quality, last forever etc.

thebacker

« Reply #2434 on: September 27, 2021, 05:37:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gatorskins are the go to tire for me. They’re the best all around value, great quality, last forever etc.

What size do you run? And what do you normally ride?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2435 on: September 28, 2021, 08:43:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same here. All I’ve run on my daily for years. I was getting a noticeable amount of flats before running them, since then no real issues.

For the poster above, I normal ride crusty Canadian city streets but have had no issue on dirt and some gravel. I tend to ride that bike anywhere and on anything.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2436 on: September 28, 2021, 01:31:38 PM »
I've been running Gatorskins for close to 12 years now. I've only gotten two serious flats on them - one sidewall puncture from metal shrapnel and one from a screw.

Other than that, they've protected me from goatheads, glass, crusty ground, etc. They're most def worth the money.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2437 on: September 28, 2021, 01:42:53 PM »
28mm Gatorskins were my jam for a long long time on commuters

thebacker

« Reply #2438 on: September 28, 2021, 01:49:59 PM »

i think this is what i'll be going with

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2439 on: September 28, 2021, 08:20:39 PM »
I preferred Schwable green guard in the biggest size you can clear. Same puncture protection but they don’t ride like shit. My 1987 Stumpjumper commuter has 48 Big Bens I think and at 35 PSI they’re smooth as fuck and have lower rolling resistance than a smaller Gator.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2440 on: September 29, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »

Been running mine for thouuuusands of kilometers without a hint of an issue. Top shelf shit if you can't be arsed to fiddle with flats.

Landmine

« Reply #2441 on: October 04, 2021, 07:47:34 AM »
I picked up an old Bridgestone 26" the other day at the coop, specifically so I could build something for a Fairdale skate rack and get into some ditches around me without having to park my car and stick out like a sore thumb.  It's the first thing I've built from the frame up in a few years and I'm oddly excited. 

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2442 on: October 05, 2021, 06:39:27 PM »
I picked up an All City Macho Man frame and fork for dirt cheap, but the paint is fucked. What's the best way to remove it? It's ed coated too. I'm just going to leave it raw or do an awful spray.bike job. I'm thinking just take it to a body shop and have it sand blasted.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2443 on: October 05, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »
put my steamroller up on the list for sale this weekend

Medium steamroller frame (light black with sparkles in the light)
Paul front hub
Phil rear hub
Phil BB
Campy Headset
DT Swiss wheel set
Gatorskins
Odyssey BMX pedals w/hold fast retention (might keep the straps)

I don't ride this thing anymore. It's too tight. Hopefully someone will pick it up
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2444 on: October 05, 2021, 07:03:21 PM »
I picked up an All City Macho Man frame and fork for dirt cheap, but the paint is fucked. What's the best way to remove it? It's ed coated too. I'm just going to leave it raw or do an awful spray.bike job. I'm thinking just take it to a body shop and have it sand blasted.

guess you could try stripper, but not sure if that works that well on ed coating. the process is kinda fucked, too, and requires some space where you can put it to let it work without it poisoning you or someone else or a pet. if you want to have it real nice again and you already got the frame for a bargain, investing in a professional paint removal job might not be a bad idea just for the sake of convenience if you can afford it. it's also probably the best way to get a good canvas so to speak if you want to respray your bike with spray.bike.

if you check that option, it would be interesting to hear how much they charge you. a few blocks down the road from me is a place that sandblasts bikeframes and then ed coats or paints them for you. they do one frame plus fork for 140 euros. that is about 150 to 160 us dollars i think.

Landmine

« Reply #2445 on: October 06, 2021, 09:19:45 AM »
Media blasting would probably be the smart move, but if the you wanna DIY refinish it why not just sand back the existing paint to rough up the surface and primer over it? 

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2446 on: October 06, 2021, 01:02:20 PM »

Continental Grand Prix 5000
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2447 on: October 06, 2021, 06:08:20 PM »
Media blasting would probably be the smart move, but if the you wanna DIY refinish it why not just sand back the existing paint to rough up the surface and primer over it?
Because I don't know what I'm doing. That being said, I'm just going to get it blasted and leave it raw.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2448 on: October 06, 2021, 07:22:54 PM »
anybody else have/had chronic freehub problems on a gravel bike? ideally would just drop the money on a new wheelset but i can't afford that right now so i was thinking of looking at quality freehubs. any recommendations would be highly appreciated!!

Landmine

« Reply #2449 on: October 06, 2021, 09:05:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Because I don't know what I'm doing. That being said, I'm just going to get it blasted and leave it raw.

Always a cool choice!

Landmine

« Reply #2450 on: October 22, 2021, 10:00:21 AM »
Finally had a chance to ride and skate this morning.  Good times, but I need a skaterack.  Navigating singletrack and baby heads like this less than ideal.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2451 on: October 23, 2021, 07:08:51 PM »
^ Sick, I love Bridgestones. Picked this up today off CL. Pedals are from the test ride.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2452 on: October 23, 2021, 07:11:33 PM »

Bruce Gordon Rock N Roads? I love these things... I'm sure some people will hate them on pavement... but whatever... All terrain shredders IMO.

Also a big Fan of Panaracer Gravel Kings for slimmer options on my commuter. The japanese rubber is amazing.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2453 on: October 23, 2021, 08:00:38 PM »
both those rides are classy and really dope! @Landmine @Bunk Moreland

thebacker

« Reply #2454 on: October 26, 2021, 11:46:14 AM »
just got cycling shoes and spd-sl's and damn i wish i got them sooner
the efficiency is so noticeable and on the short 1 hour ride i did i felt like i could ride for hours more which sometimes i couldnt say with commuter pedals and a strap

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2455 on: October 26, 2021, 12:00:20 PM »
the efficiency is so noticeable and on the short 1 hour ride i did i felt like i could ride for hours more which sometimes i couldnt say with commuter pedals and a strap
Gamechanger for sure, I randomly found some old skool shimano shoes from flea market, they look kinda like airwalk ones lol. Just be careful how you install your cleats, people tend to install them too close to toes, it’ll kill your calves.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2456 on: October 26, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »
This stoked me out

https://youtu.be/2Z7Z1aZnSy0

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2457 on: October 26, 2021, 12:53:24 PM »
Looking for some advice.

Moved to a new spot and now I’m living up on a “mountain” in the suburbs and the city is down below. In terms of elevation it’s a few hundred feet. Currently have a road bike, fixed gear (this was my daily) and borrowed an older mountain bike from my dad. I kinda have my bases covered, however I wanna be able to ride downtown. Here’s where the problem lies. Fixed is obviously no good with the size of hills I’m dealing with, but was my daily before and hardest to steal parts from. The road and mountain bike are out of the question because thieves, despite being more suited to my situation.

So SLAP. What kinda bike could I hobble together that I can climb on, and not feel sketched about locking up? To get up and down I have the option of a gravel/dirt path and road. I’m the type of person to ride any terrain so I’d be leaning away from something to road specific. Ideally I’d like to put something together that looks unassuming. Would trying to find an older mountain bike - stumpjumper - and build from there make sense? Or build something that would resemble a gravel bike? Not looking to spend a lot as this would be a fourth bike, but I think it would get me out there riding more which is always worth it.

Been riding this one recently. It’s fun to smash around on a mountain bike after riding road for so long.

thebacker

« Reply #2458 on: October 26, 2021, 01:57:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Gamechanger for sure, I randomly found some old skool shimano shoes from flea market, they look kinda like airwalk ones lol. Just be careful how you install your cleats, people tend to install them too close to toes, it’ll kill your calves.

yeah i had the guy at the trek store i got them at adjust them and we found a good spot for them. i barely felt anything on my ride lol

Landmine

« Reply #2459 on: October 27, 2021, 08:15:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Looking for some advice.

Moved to a new spot and now I’m living up on a “mountain” in the suburbs and the city is down below. In terms of elevation it’s a few hundred feet. Currently have a road bike, fixed gear (this was my daily) and borrowed an older mountain bike from my dad. I kinda have my bases covered, however I wanna be able to ride downtown. Here’s where the problem lies. Fixed is obviously no good with the size of hills I’m dealing with, but was my daily before and hardest to steal parts from. The road and mountain bike are out of the question because thieves, despite being more suited to my situation.

So SLAP. What kinda bike could I hobble together that I can climb on, and not feel sketched about locking up? To get up and down I have the option of a gravel/dirt path and road. I’m the type of person to ride any terrain so I’d be leaning away from something to road specific. Ideally I’d like to put something together that looks unassuming. Would trying to find an older mountain bike - stumpjumper - and build from there make sense? Or build something that would resemble a gravel bike? Not looking to spend a lot as this would be a fourth bike, but I think it would get me out there riding more which is always worth it.

Been riding this one recently. It’s fun to smash around on a mountain bike after riding road for so long.

[close]

You could probably procure an old 27” chromoly bike for cheap. Take off the 27s and throw some 700c wheels on there with 32mm tires and long reach brake calipers. Maybe cold set the frame and swap in a modern groupset. Microshift works fine, it’s cheap and reliable. I did this with a late 80’s Le Tour. It got hit by a car, fork was fucked. So much fun. RIP.

Yeah, any sort of basic 80s steel bike with some updated shifty bits is gonna make for a good lock up bike.  Old mountain bikes, bike-boom era road bikes, one of the millions of used Centurions that are always popping up, etc.  Finding a 27" and changing it to 700c with some pre-built wheels and some Tektro brakes is never a bad idea, plus it gives you a bit more room if you want bigger tires.

I'm a huge fan of late-80s and early-90s rigid mountain bikes, so that gets my vote.