Author Topic: bikes  (Read 305895 times)

somefucker

Re: bikes
« Reply #2610 on: May 06, 2022, 06:49:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have any camera recommendations? Preferably a helmet cam? Long battery life and looped footage would be ideal.

Since moving to Ohio, there's a noticeably greater amount of aggressive drivers out here compared to more civilized states I've lived in. I've had trash thrown at me, spit on, casually ran off the road, and had a man hang out of the passenger seat of a car and slap my butt. I go out of my way to ride on wide shoulders or bike lanes, but it hasn't mitigated the issue. People out here are psychopaths who enjoy being cruel.

I'm so fucking over Ohio.
[close]

das fucked :(

in short of a go pro, I got a i70Mai dashcam that I attach to the milk crate on my bike and run it off a solar battery pack. gives me a good hour-hour and a half continuous use. the camera has a easy to use app that you can view/download/share the footage from.
[close]

Dude, that's a really smart setup! I've decided I'm going to save for a Fly6 camera, and try to score a used one off ebay. Most cameras have shit for battery life.  :(

damn got me lookin on ebay for a used one.... good luck!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #2611 on: May 06, 2022, 04:12:44 PM »
Looking to buy a replacement bike after a horrendous experience buying one on craigslist that had problem after problem and eventually I just had to ditch on the road one day.

If I only want to spend ~$600ish are there any options for someone like me? Any tips on sorting through craigslist looking for red flags etc? Any new no-frills bikes that would fit the bill? I'm looking for something comfortableish, don't care if it looks stupid, that I can do a light, easy commute on 3-4 days out of the week.

Really have a lot of great, safe places to ride near me so I'm excited to get out rolling around again. Thanks in advance!!

The best no-frills bikes out there are the 1990s mountain bike boom bikes. If you buy one of the big name brands (Trek, Specialized, etc.) they’re usually made out of good material (mostly steel but sometimes aluminum), decently made and specced with good components, use future-proof 26” wheels (tires and tubes available everywhere), and are generally inexpensive. I’ve been on the same Trek 850 commuter bike for nine year now with basically no maintenance.

Looking at my local Craigslist now k can see a dozen Trek 800-series bikes in every size for under $200, and another five or six Specialized Rockhoppers for the same price. Budget another $2-300 for a basic tuneup, some new tires and an upgraded saddle and you’re in business.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Huell Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #2612 on: May 09, 2022, 07:19:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The current set-up.

Definitely need to chop the stem a bit. Headtube is too short to accommodate it uncut.

[close]

looks nice. where in japan are ya?
[close]

Thanks! It gets me where I want to go and rides really nicely.

I'm in Tokyo. Are you in Japan?
[close]

nice! I used to live in Asagaya, Suginami and before that in Kanagawa, but moved back to the states last year. always miss it. loved riding around tokyo so much
[close]

Right on! Asagaya's a dope area - I skated around the shoutengai a bit back in the day.

Yeah, I'm kicking around the idea of heading back home, but things seem pretty backasswards there at the moment (mores than usual).

Where in the states are you from?

nice! I never skated around Asagaya that much but loved living there. I am from california
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have any camera recommendations? Preferably a helmet cam? Long battery life and looped footage would be ideal.

Since moving to Ohio, there's a noticeably greater amount of aggressive drivers out here compared to more civilized states I've lived in. I've had trash thrown at me, spit on, casually ran off the road, and had a man hang out of the passenger seat of a car and slap my butt. I go out of my way to ride on wide shoulders or bike lanes, but it hasn't mitigated the issue. People out here are psychopaths who enjoy being cruel.

I'm so fucking over Ohio.
[close]

das fucked :(

in short of a go pro, I got a i70Mai dashcam that I attach to the milk crate on my bike and run it off a solar battery pack. gives me a good hour-hour and a half continuous use. the camera has a easy to use app that you can view/download/share the footage from.
[close]

Dude, that's a really smart setup! I've decided I'm going to save for a Fly6 camera, and try to score a used one off ebay. Most cameras have shit for battery life.  :(

damn! all this sounds super sketch! I hope the helmet cam helps keep some of those assholes in line @PuffinMuffin 

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #2613 on: May 09, 2022, 12:23:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Looking to buy a replacement bike after a horrendous experience buying one on craigslist that had problem after problem and eventually I just had to ditch on the road one day.

If I only want to spend ~$600ish are there any options for someone like me? Any tips on sorting through craigslist looking for red flags etc? Any new no-frills bikes that would fit the bill? I'm looking for something comfortableish, don't care if it looks stupid, that I can do a light, easy commute on 3-4 days out of the week.

Really have a lot of great, safe places to ride near me so I'm excited to get out rolling around again. Thanks in advance!!
[close]

The best no-frills bikes out there are the 1990s mountain bike boom bikes. If you buy one of the big name brands (Trek, Specialized, etc.) they’re usually made out of good material (mostly steel but sometimes aluminum), decently made and specced with good components, use future-proof 26” wheels (tires and tubes available everywhere), and are generally inexpensive. I’ve been on the same Trek 850 commuter bike for nine year now with basically no maintenance.

Looking at my local Craigslist now k can see a dozen Trek 800-series bikes in every size for under $200, and another five or six Specialized Rockhoppers for the same price. Budget another $2-300 for a basic tuneup, some new tires and an upgraded saddle and you’re in business.

can confirm I copped a trek 1000 aluminum frame bike that someone converted to a single speed on craigslist for 300
I ended up putting a chain tensioner on , new pedals, and new brake because the brake kept rubbing. This aluminum frame is fast as hell, but you also feel every little bump. Think Bones SPF for bikes lol
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2614 on: May 09, 2022, 02:32:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i second that advice. i bought an old giant mountainbike from a dude in my neighborhood last year and it's so fun and was cheap as fuck. steel frame and solid, i now bunnyhop off curbs. ok i probably just raise the front and drop, but it feels like a hop to me, which is what is really important.

WPG

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2615 on: May 11, 2022, 09:41:37 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instructables.com/Bicycle-Seat-Post-Skateboard-Rack/%3famp_page=true

Curious if anyone has built 1? I can't put a rear rack on the bikes I have and this seems like a good cheap alternative
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2616 on: May 30, 2022, 09:24:29 AM »
I got one of those cheap mini air compressor/ batteries and it only worked once. Was hyped to just input a pressure and press GO, but it was all too good to be true.

You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2617 on: May 30, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
Looking for some tire recommendations. I have a cannondale cad10, but have found some mellow gravel trails near my place I wanna explore. Even with these trails my riding would still be 85% road 15% gravel. Is there a tire suited to this?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2618 on: May 30, 2022, 12:26:33 PM »
Looking for some tire recommendations. I have a cannondale cad10, but have found some mellow gravel trails near my place I wanna explore. Even with these trails my riding would still be 85% road 15% gravel. Is there a tire suited to this?

I had a CAAD10 back in the day and I was able to fit the Challenge Paris-Roubaix 700x27c tires through some older Campagnolo calipers. This was before the era of the "gravel" bike and I rode that thing across hundreds of miles of Ozark gravel. They did tend to flat a little more easily but more than made up for it in ride quality. Clearance was almost non-existent but I was able to make it work.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2619 on: June 01, 2022, 08:02:36 AM »
Panaracer Gravelkings. They come with various different treads to suit the terrain you ride.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2620 on: June 01, 2022, 09:14:57 AM »
Thanks for the insights pals, I appreciate it.

thebacker

« Reply #2621 on: June 02, 2022, 10:23:52 AM »
just got these and did my first ride on them of like 15 miles, they are butttttter and i was kinda surprised how fast i could accel on them

700x32c at like 75 PSI is yummy

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2622 on: June 03, 2022, 05:20:04 AM »
Bought an old Univega from Marketplace for $50 and met up with my friend for a tour through Croatia, and it was so much fucking fun. What a place. Rode all kinds of stuff, from long stretches of road through fields of olive trees to twisty and rocky descents through forests... Loved it.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #2623 on: June 03, 2022, 09:06:55 AM »
Bought an old Univega from Marketplace for $50 and met up with my friend for a tour through Croatia, and it was so much fucking fun. What a place. Rode all kinds of stuff, from long stretches of road through fields of olive trees to twisty and rocky descents through forests... Loved it.

hot damn that looks amazing

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #2624 on: June 03, 2022, 11:20:05 AM »
Panaracer Gravelkings. They come with various different treads to suit the terrain you ride.
hell no. unless you hate your frame and everyone around you. these things throw more rocks per ride than all the protests in the world do in a year.

maxxis receptors is a fast and capable tire. ramblers if it's really rough or muddy.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2625 on: June 03, 2022, 12:55:15 PM »

Gnar'd for scenery.  Good job on your adventure.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2626 on: June 03, 2022, 03:44:05 PM »

Looks incredible, I have a friend whose wife is a Croat and they're visiting right now. It always looks incredible there, and they bring back the best wines.

And as always, old steel mountain bikes and hybrids make by far the best touring and commuting bikes.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2627 on: June 06, 2022, 08:17:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
hell no. unless you hate your frame and everyone around you. these things throw more rocks per ride than all the protests in the world do in a year.

maxxis receptors is a fast and capable tire. ramblers if it's really rough or muddy.
lmao i definitely remember reading something on a facebook cycling group about someone participating in a gravel race where a guy near the front of the pack was asked to stay in the back until it really mattered because his gravelkings were slinging rocks everywhere. just seems like an overrated tire too imo.

i'll promote the specialized pathfinder until my death. they'll handle anything. maybe not the absolute best when it's muddy but i've still made it through plenty of mud just fine on them.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2628 on: June 06, 2022, 09:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nonsense. Like I said, they come in various different treads including slicks. Gravel Kings are by far the longest lasting, most puncture resistant and most versatile tire I've had and I ride most days a week, all year round on a variety of terrain.

https://www.panaracerusa.com/collections/gravel

I use these in a 33 for my fixed/ daily driver single speed and in a 38 for my geared adventure bike

A slick version of the GK

but really, if you don't want rocks scratching your frame perhaps you better stick to the velodrome...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:22:52 PM by Frank and Fred »

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2629 on: June 10, 2022, 12:49:31 PM »
the knobbly one is the exact perpetrator. the one people use for gravel. i couldn't care less if people scratch their frame, but it's annoying as hell to ride behind someone in a group that chucks everything from descent sized gravel to fine sand in your face at any pace. it's to the point where you absolutely have to wear glasses to avoid it getting in your eyes.

i also thought it was a joke when i heard it the first time, but after riding behind 4 different dudes had them (all in 700c configs), i have no doubt that it's the tire in the world that chucks the most. so if i had to pick between GKs and any other suited or non-suited tire, i'd pick anything but GKs because there is no way the tire is so good compared to other options that it's worth being the biggest dick in the group.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #2630 on: June 10, 2022, 03:01:58 PM »
ok but like what percent of people need a tire that makes them not the dick in the gruppetto

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2631 on: June 10, 2022, 03:13:52 PM »
80%? anyone who doesn't strictly solo gravel will let anyone around them know they run GKs because they kick way more rocks than any other thread-equivalent tire.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2632 on: June 10, 2022, 04:32:59 PM »
I've never noticed my GKs kicking  gravel but I usually ride solo. Love the suppleness of Panaracer rubber. Seriously, once these tyres have a few miles on them they get me as excited as skating F4s.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2633 on: June 11, 2022, 04:21:42 AM »
the knobbly one is the exact perpetrator. the one people use for gravel. i couldn't care less if people scratch their frame, but it's annoying as hell to ride behind someone in a group that chucks everything from descent sized gravel to fine sand in your face at any pace. it's to the point where you absolutely have to wear glasses to avoid it getting in your eyes.

i also thought it was a joke when i heard it the first time, but after riding behind 4 different dudes had them (all in 700c configs), i have no doubt that it's the tire in the world that chucks the most. so if i had to pick between GKs and any other suited or non-suited tire, i'd pick anything but GKs because there is no way the tire is so good compared to other options that it's worth being the biggest dick in the group.

B-but - the tan sidewalls!!

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2634 on: June 13, 2022, 07:58:04 AM »
dude these guys must be putting down hella torque if they're roosting you with a skinny bike

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #2635 on: June 13, 2022, 08:24:10 AM »
graffiti over the rear wheel sums up my feelings for this bike, my most dependable companion for years and years <3

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2636 on: June 13, 2022, 08:30:23 AM »
Having nightmare flashbacks recalling attempting to true those Shimano wheels.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #2637 on: June 13, 2022, 08:55:52 AM »
they've stayed true since i've had them, but maybe when the time comes i can send them to you?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2638 on: June 13, 2022, 09:08:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
they've stayed true since i've had them, but maybe when the time comes i can send them to you?

Lmao no

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2639 on: June 13, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »
found my bros old mtb and it's so sick. i couldn't take it with me, but next time i visit my parents i'm gonna give it a good cleaning and try and bring it to my place. it seems like the frame would even fit me. anyways, the bike is so well maintained. my bro was obsessed with bikes and he kept it in tip top shape. i pretty much only need to pump up the tyres and check the brakes, but everything else looks squeaky clean despite the bike being in storage since over 10 years. i almost took the saddle of  but i want to leave it complete as long as possible. ideally(if it fits me) i'm just going to leave it like that.

frame is an unbranded raw chromo steel frame, everything else is top shelf stuff. shimano drivetrain, selle italia titanium flite saddel that looks almost unused. pretty ugly, but very nice feeling ergo grips.

i regret not bonding over bikes with my brother when he was still alive. instead we bonded over music, videogames and guns XD i'm not shooting anything, but nowadays i've also become low key obsessed with bikes. wish we could have shared that.