Author Topic: bikes  (Read 308745 times)

sharkjumper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bikes
« Reply #2880 on: January 10, 2023, 10:33:11 PM »
What is everyone’s favorite rain gear or recommendations

I got a helmet finally and wear a cycling cap underneath to keep my head warm and rain out of my eyes.

Got a rain coat from REI with vents so I don’t sweat a lot

I’m looking to get more gear since I bike to commute and public transpo sucks and got no car.

Any tips for bike maintenance while riding in the rain?

A biking poncho/cape is a game changer. I’ve done tons of commuting in full rain jacket and pants and I get so sweaty in that combo. The poncho has much more ventilation. I have full wrap fenders and ride in some light weight waterproof hikers with flat pedals. Keeps me dry. Plus the poncho partially covers my hands.
The downside is that it’s basically a big sail. So it slows me down a little. And it’s weird not to see my feet.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2881 on: January 11, 2023, 06:18:57 AM »
My bike dream list;
Kona Sutra LTD or Unit X or an All City Gorillla Monsoon.  The Sutra rode better in my test ride.
BMX: Id love an S&M Creedence build & a 91 Dirtbike / Holmes.  Plus an OG 81 Mongoose & Quicksilver.

I've got a chrome 24 inch S&M Dirtbike which rules.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #2882 on: January 11, 2023, 07:52:25 AM »
Expand Quote

I got a helmet finally and wear a cycling cap underneath to keep my head warm and rain out of my eyes.

I’m looking to get more gear since I bike to commute and public transpo sucks and got no car.

[close]

A biking poncho/cape is a game changer. I’ve done tons of commuting in full rain jacket and pants and I get so sweaty in that combo. The poncho has much more ventilation. I have full wrap fenders and ride in some light weight waterproof hikers with flat pedals. Keeps me dry. Plus the poncho partially covers my hands.
The downside is that it’s basically a big sail. So it slows me down a little. And it’s weird not to see my feet.

Agreed on the poncho. It used to be that the only option was the dirt cheap garbage bag material ones which you ordered direct from China, but now there are actually some good ones.

But yes, fenders, fenders, fenders. Not the little "Ass-saver" types of the kind which rubber band around the fork, but the real kind. If your bike doesn't have attachment points and/or clearance for fenders, you might have to get creative, but there's no substitute for full coverage fenders.

To add to this, I recommend Shower's Pass brand stuff. I've posted about it before in this thread, and I think some people said it was hard-to-impossible to find in Europe, which is unfortunate. They are based out of Portland here in the US and they make the best and most effective rain gear I've used, for sure.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #2883 on: January 11, 2023, 11:09:25 AM »
My bike dream list;
Kona Sutra LTD or Unit X or an All City Gorillla Monsoon.  The Sutra rode better in my test ride.
BMX: Id love an S&M Creedence build & a 91 Dirtbike / Holmes.  Plus an OG 81 Mongoose & Quicksilver.

Let's see your Dirtbike!

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #2884 on: January 11, 2023, 04:43:09 PM »
If you’re riding in super cold, find an old beanie and cut a hole in the center of the top of it. Put it on cut side first, pull down all until it wraps around your neck and tuck the cut side into your collar. I used this all the time when I had to ride all day in the middle of winter.

I first started riding road bikes, then eventually got a track bike cause they were hip. I can say I genuinely had way more fun on my road bike. I get maintenance, but riding through the city was infinitely more fun when I had gear options and didn’t need to worry as much about having to brake or stop suddenly because you have, you know, actually brakes. Never really rode a free wheel single in the city tho

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2885 on: January 11, 2023, 09:12:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed on the poncho. It used to be that the only option was the dirt cheap garbage bag material ones which you ordered direct from China, but now there are actually some good ones.

But yes, fenders, fenders, fenders. Not the little "Ass-saver" types of the kind which rubber band around the fork, but the real kind. If your bike doesn't have attachment points and/or clearance for fenders, you might have to get creative, but there's no substitute for full coverage fenders.

To add to this, I recommend Shower's Pass brand stuff. I've posted about it before in this thread, and I think some people said it was hard-to-impossible to find in Europe, which is unfortunate. They are based out of Portland here in the US and they make the best and most effective rain gear I've used, for sure.

Years ago I had a shop put fenders on a bike with no mounting points. There are some fenders that have a split at the brake mounts so you don’t have to worry about tire clearance. And they used attachments that went around the fork and seat stays (a rubberized loop with a bolt) that made fender mount points. If that makes sense.

I have the people’s poncho. Good at being waterproof and has some nice details. They claim is fits over a helmet, but it does not. There are some other good options out there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:23:08 PM by sharkjumper »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #2886 on: January 12, 2023, 03:41:57 AM »
If you’re riding in super cold, find an old beanie and cut a hole in the center of the top of it. Put it on cut side first, pull down all until it wraps around your neck and tuck the cut side into your collar. I used this all the time when I had to ride all day in the middle of winter.

I first started riding road bikes, then eventually got a track bike cause they were hip. I can say I genuinely had way more fun on my road bike. I get maintenance, but riding through the city was infinitely more fun when I had gear options and didn’t need to worry as much about having to brake or stop suddenly because you have, you know, actually brakes. Never really rode a free wheel single in the city tho

They give away neck warmers here all the time as publicity. I have a few from ski stations...they work great. Plus you can pull them up over your ears and back of head if needed (like under your beanie/helmet whatever)

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2887 on: January 12, 2023, 06:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They give away neck warmers here all the time as publicity. I have a few from ski stations...they work great. Plus you can pull them up over your ears and back of head if needed (like under your beanie/helmet whatever)

Yeah, I've got a merino wool Smartwool gaiter which I have had for years, and then I found a cashmere gaiter on closeout at J Crew for like $10 and that one is even better. Bicycling or not, I rarely leave the house during the fall/winter/spring without it.`

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #2888 on: January 12, 2023, 05:18:01 PM »
Who here runs a power meter? Really worth it? I like riding and pushing myself, but I’m not racing so I feel like it’s not really a necessity.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2889 on: January 12, 2023, 06:27:32 PM »
Who here runs a power meter? Really worth it? I like riding and pushing myself, but I’m not racing so I feel like it’s not really a necessity.

I've used one in the past, but for me it's not really worth it unless you're training and racing. It's really best for planning workouts and setting zones (which you can also do with heart rate), otherwise it's just more data to look at. If you do want to try it, I'd recommend starting basic with something like a Stages crank arm. Relatively inexpensive and good enough to train off of.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2890 on: January 12, 2023, 06:32:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've used one in the past, but for me it's not really worth it unless you're training and racing. It's really best for planning workouts and setting zones (which you can also do with heart rate), otherwise it's just more data to look at. If you do want to try it, I'd recommend starting basic with something like a Stages crank arm. Relatively inexpensive and good enough to train off of.

I ask because the AXS crank meter option is like an extra $250. I’m semi-leaning that way because I’m trying to train myself to up my cadence and spin better rather than push heavy. That way I can save my knees. Especially when climbing.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2891 on: January 12, 2023, 07:34:57 PM »

there's this powerstation at this local mall where you can charge your phone by pedaling on a static bike and they have a powermeter that caps out at 250 watts i think. i sometimes hit that thing just to break that cap real quick. but i probably wouldn't last a whole hour above the cap.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1515
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2892 on: January 13, 2023, 01:27:31 AM »
a great quote I got from reddit regarding a power meter: "you wouldn't hire an accountant to tell you that you're broke", haha

however, it's probably very useful for regulating your effort on long climbs

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2893 on: January 13, 2023, 06:19:09 AM »
I got an old PowerTap (wired!) for free and I used it for a while but ultimately it was just too much shit to pay attention to. My numbers were never great but I remember hitting ~1200 when a gigantic farm dog came chasing me out of nowhere and was literally nipping at my heels.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 07:22:54 AM by manysnakes »

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2894 on: January 13, 2023, 06:57:54 AM »
I don't run a power meter outside, I use my trainer all winter and can usually understand what an effort feels like generally. I also don't like starring down at my head unit . I just keep speed, distance and average speed when riding outside.
I just got some shoe covers for winter riding, I am pretty excited.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2895 on: January 13, 2023, 07:15:27 AM »
Expand Quote
My bike dream list;

[close]

Let's see your Dirtbike!

I’ll try and remember in the morn.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2896 on: January 13, 2023, 10:01:59 AM »
I don't run a power meter outside, I use my trainer all winter and can usually understand what an effort feels like generally. I also don't like starring down at my head unit . I just keep speed, distance and average speed when riding outside.
I just got some shoe covers for winter riding, I am pretty excited.

I feel this. I can get power wattage from my trainer. Yea, I'm like you, when I'm outdoors I pay more attention to my speed and HR.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2897 on: January 13, 2023, 06:20:06 PM »
I started the Zwift just over 2 weeks ago.  Not sure what the reason is for the clubs that you have to join.  But I searched Slap and Fred Gall, and they did not exist.  So I made one.

As club founder, I will likely do nothing more than offer an occasional thumbs up.  I expect the same or less, from anyone else who cares to join.

Slap Pals

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2898 on: January 13, 2023, 06:24:45 PM »
I started the Zwift just over 2 weeks ago.  Not sure what the reason is for the clubs that you have to join.  But I searched Slap and Fred Gall, and they did not exist.  So I made one.

As club founder, I will likely do nothing more than offer an occasional thumbs up.  I expect the same or less, from anyone else who cares to join.

Slap Pals

Enjoy the gnar. And I’m joining.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2899 on: January 16, 2023, 08:37:34 AM »
what is your zwift name?  I'm Chris Foote with homer Simpson at the bowling alley as my pic. I don't interact too much on zwift, I had the chat turned off a for a while.
I enjoy the crit city races. I don't really do much more than free rides and 1-2 races a week.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2900 on: January 16, 2023, 01:20:02 PM »
what is your zwift name?  I'm Chris Foote with homer Simpson at the bowling alley as my pic. I don't interact too much on zwift, I had the chat turned off a for a while.
I enjoy the crit city races. I don't really do much more than free rides and 1-2 races a week.

We follow each other on Strava.

But join the Slap Pals Zwift club. I’m the one with PeeWee’s bike as my icon.

BackToTheDIY

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2901 on: January 17, 2023, 07:08:11 AM »
Got this surly straggler over the summer , feeling good with it .

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2902 on: January 17, 2023, 09:46:41 AM »

The Straggler is probably the best all-around bike on the market. It was the Cross-Check, but the Straggler improves so much with disc brakes and a reasonably sized headtube. One cannot go wrong with that choice.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2903 on: January 17, 2023, 10:01:51 AM »
surly are the most dependable no bullshit frame producer i’ve come across

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2904 on: January 17, 2023, 12:50:59 PM »
surly are the most dependable no bullshit frame producer i’ve come across

Truth. I loved my Steamroller. Was my commuter in college. Was bulletproof, especially on 28mm tires. Then someone broke into my garage and stole it.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #2905 on: January 17, 2023, 01:36:22 PM »
Probably covered somewhere in this thread but feelin lazy. What’s up with “bikepacking”? Anyone here done it?
Recently a few YouTubers that seem to go on bikepacking trips in Baja and a bunch of other spots(Montana/Idaho) made their way into my algorithm and it seems so awesome. Hard to find a clear answer because I guess it depends very heavily on the terrain you’re riding - but what is a good bike for these type of trips?

A gravel bike or mtb?

I’d like to try a small trip sometime in the next year(just a few days tops to start) but seems like a lot of gear to get lmao. I do have a backpacking tent and an okay amount of gear already but not a bike for this kinda ride or any frame bags etc

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2906 on: January 17, 2023, 02:04:48 PM »
Gravel or MTB, doesn't matter. I say a bike with a more relaxed geometry as you're going to be on the saddle for hours at a time. So you don't want to be in a tight-race like position.

I've had friends do long trips on touring bike, old MTBs, gravel bikes, etc. Just make sure you have racks to carry bags and such.

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #2907 on: January 17, 2023, 04:25:36 PM »
Probably covered somewhere in this thread but feelin lazy. What’s up with “bikepacking”? Anyone here done it?
Recently a few YouTubers that seem to go on bikepacking trips in Baja and a bunch of other spots(Montana/Idaho) made their way into my algorithm and it seems so awesome. Hard to find a clear answer because I guess it depends very heavily on the terrain you’re riding - but what is a good bike for these type of trips?

A gravel bike or mtb?

I’d like to try a small trip sometime in the next year(just a few days tops to start) but seems like a lot of gear to get lmao. I do have a backpacking tent and an okay amount of gear already but not a bike for this kinda ride or any frame bags etc

Actually, not much gear is needed. I prefer a bivy bag and a quilt which saves a lot of weight than a tent. I biked across the US twice on a road bike. A good chance I will do it again late spring. Eat like a horse and drink like a fish. No words can describe ethereal bike adventures.

BackToTheDIY

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2908 on: January 17, 2023, 08:19:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Straggler is probably the best all-around bike on the market. It was the Cross-Check, but the Straggler improves so much with disc brakes and a reasonably sized headtube. One cannot go wrong with that choice.

It’s my first actually nice bike , been really good for what I do with it so far. Took it on a few over nighters and it just likes to chug along .

Took a day or two to get used to the rear drop outs, but a mechanic buddy help me tune it up and it’s been great

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2909 on: January 19, 2023, 10:20:00 PM »
Expand Quote

A gravel bike or mtb?

[close]

Actually, not much gear is needed. I prefer a bivy bag and a quilt which saves a lot of weight than a tent. I biked across the US twice on a road bike. A good chance I will do it again late spring. Eat like a horse and drink like a fish. No words can describe ethereal bike adventures.
i've had some pretty great times bikepacking. pretty good for covering a decent amount of ground on a tight schedule while still seeing great sights.

you're definitely right about the best bike for the job being terrain dependent. either that or you have to carefully tailor your route to the bike you're working with. i live in the pnw right now and i know both times i went bikepacking where i made my own route i had wished i had a mountain bike and not a gravel bike with 38s. having a bike weighed down with other items definitely exaggerates any rough surfaces, bumps, roots, rocks, etc.

gearing's also something to consider. if you live in or plan to bikepack somewhere hilly or mountainous, mountain bike gearing will be way better for a heavy bike. even with a gravel groupset on my bike i've had to push it up hills, but then again that was up some stupidly steep forest service roads. maybe route planning error on my part  ;D