Author Topic: bikes  (Read 305849 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
Re: bikes
« Reply #3000 on: February 15, 2023, 08:54:32 AM »
I'm seriously mourning the loss of my local bike shop. I'd been going there for close to twenty years. They knew me, my budget, my bikes intimately. The owner would never over or under sell me anything. He knew where I rode and how I liked to ride. I could go in with an idea and he'd make it happen or explain why it couldn't. Anyway, they closed last summer and I have been ignoring my bike needs since. Riding my shit into the ground. Dreading the day I have to replace parts... I'd rather not shop online for bike parts if I can help it.

Yesterday, i wanted to stock up on tubes and patch kits so went to closest bike shop and almost had an anxiety attack. Sales dude was nice enough but when I casually asked if they carried the tires I like, and tried to sell me a $70 tire, I was done... Then they went on to explain how they focus on gravel riding blah blah, talking at me not to me...

All to say, if you have a local bike shop you trust, cherish it, treat them well. Its like having a good car mechanic, therapist or doctor...

If you have a trusted bike shop in Portland Oregon (preferably SE) please let me know. I hear good things about Sellwood Cycles.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #3001 on: February 15, 2023, 09:17:06 AM »
There's only one bike shop here that I still like, the rest have either closed or got bought by the local chain before they sold to Trek and became a useless Trek showroom.

At this point I just go to the co-op and dig or buy online since I already know what I like (or it's something a local shop doesn't carry and can't order)

RIP the classic LBS :(

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3002 on: February 15, 2023, 06:14:06 PM »
I'm seriously mourning the loss of my local bike shop. I'd been going there for close to twenty years. They knew me, my budget, my bikes intimately. The owner would never over or under sell me anything. He knew where I rode and how I liked to ride. I could go in with an idea and he'd make it happen or explain why it couldn't. Anyway, they closed last summer and I have been ignoring my bike needs since. Riding my shit into the ground. Dreading the day I have to replace parts... I'd rather not shop online for bike parts if I can help it.

Yesterday, i wanted to stock up on tubes and patch kits so went to closest bike shop and almost had an anxiety attack. Sales dude was nice enough but when I casually asked if they carried the tires I like, and tried to sell me a $70 tire, I was done... Then they went on to explain how they focus on gravel riding blah blah, talking at me not to me...

All to say, if you have a local bike shop you trust, cherish it, treat them well. Its like having a good car mechanic, therapist or doctor...

If you have a trusted bike shop in Portland Oregon (preferably SE) please let me know. I hear good things about Sellwood Cycles.

What was your shop? Was it CatSix?
Not SE, but metropolis has been great to shop at. Very nice and chill bike nerdy staff. Golden pliers has been good to me, but can feel a little “cool”.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #3003 on: February 16, 2023, 05:50:13 AM »
When I was still racing, I had a lot of connections and dealings with Sellwood Cycles and everyone there was great. I have never once set foot in the store and I can't imagine I'd ever need another person to work on my bike, but they come highly regarded.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3004 on: February 16, 2023, 08:44:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm tempted to just invest in a repair stand, tools and just learn as as I go but its till nice to chat to a trusted bike mechanic.

Cory at Seven Corners was my dude. Humble shop, not a great selection of bikes but such a solid, friendly person who knew what I wanted. Even hooked me up with some Indy Stage 8s.

I'll check out the other recommendations. Someone on Bike Portland said, Tom Cat Bikes has a similar ethos as Corey. Never been.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #3005 on: February 16, 2023, 08:59:13 AM »
I put brakes finally on my ATF now going thew tyres like there is no tomorrow.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3006 on: February 16, 2023, 10:13:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm tempted to just invest in a repair stand, tools and just learn as as I go but its till nice to chat to a trusted bike mechanic.

Cory at Seven Corners was my dude. Humble shop, not a great selection of bikes but such a solid, friendly person who knew what I wanted. Even hooked me up with some Indy Stage 8s.

I'll check out the other recommendations. Someone on Bike Portland said, Tom Cat Bikes has a similar ethos as Corey. Never been.

Unless you're buying a pro stand, always buy Feedback stands, never Park Tool.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3007 on: February 16, 2023, 11:06:34 AM »
Thanks for the tip.

Landmine

« Reply #3008 on: February 16, 2023, 11:28:39 AM »
Do it, get a stand and some tools and do it all yourself!  Bicycles are incredibly simple machines, they just required periodic adjustment as parts wear.  The only thing I rely on shops for now is facing which is a rare enough task it's not worth investing in the tools. 

The only real headaches are tubeless tire and hydro discs, neither of which are terribly hard you just gotta do it right. 

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #3009 on: February 16, 2023, 11:32:44 AM »
i have a park tools stand.  ;D

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3010 on: February 16, 2023, 11:35:14 AM »
i have a park tools stand.  ;D

Sorry to hear that.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #3011 on: February 16, 2023, 11:37:25 AM »
what have I done wrong?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3012 on: February 16, 2023, 12:27:54 PM »
what have I done wrong?

I'm just kidding. I used to sell both and the Feedback stand was vastly superior to the Park, that's all. I have a professional Park stand in my basement, actually.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
« Reply #3013 on: February 16, 2023, 02:04:11 PM »
park also love the big j man in the sky if you're into or not into that type of thing

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #3014 on: February 17, 2023, 04:29:11 AM »
I, like lots of other people during covid it seems, took a fascination to 90s mountain bikes and have restored like 5 at this point. I think fixing and cleaning old bike stuff is super fun.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #3015 on: February 17, 2023, 04:35:49 AM »
pics plz

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3016 on: February 17, 2023, 05:33:29 AM »
Do it, get a stand and some tools and do it all yourself!  Bicycles are incredibly simple machines, they just required periodic adjustment as parts wear.  The only thing I rely on shops for now is facing which is a rare enough task it's not worth investing in the tools. 

The only real headaches are tubeless tire and hydro discs, neither of which are terribly hard you just gotta do it right.

For sure. I mostly do already. As much as I'd love to build a wheel set, I don't think I'll be doing that. Haven't messed with tubeless yet but I plan to. Doubt I'll dabble with hydraulic disc brakes.

I do want to build a bike from the ground up with new parts, when I have the funds (minus the wheels).

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3017 on: February 17, 2023, 05:41:33 AM »
I, like lots of other people during covid it seems, took a fascination to 90s mountain bikes and have restored like 5 at this point. I think fixing and cleaning old bike stuff is super fun.

What have you built?

I have a Diamond Back Axis TT from my racing days in the 90s.  it is too small for me unfortunately.
and a couple of early 90s road bikes - Litespeed and a Merlin. 

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #3018 on: February 17, 2023, 06:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For sure. I mostly do already. As much as I'd love to build a wheel set, I don't think I'll be doing that. Haven't messed with tubeless yet but I plan to. Doubt I'll dabble with hydraulic disc brakes.

I do want to build a bike from the ground up with new parts, when I have the funds (minus the wheels).
building wheels seems intimidating but it’s not that hard, there’s calculators online you can use to determine spoke length and the park tool video on spoke lacing is excellent.

getting a stand and tools is one of the best things i’ve ever done, and i’m just using a shitty stand i got at aldi for $40 and a cheap set of tools from amazon.

real shit. i’m running out of room but i’ve got my eye on some fb marketplace and craigslist posts for summer restoration projects. i’m still loving my 90s giant yukon to 1x7 bmx cruiser conversion, the best “bike to the bar” bike i’ve ever owned.

Landmine

« Reply #3019 on: February 17, 2023, 08:05:11 AM »
Yeah wheelbuilding isn't very hard, I just hate doing it so I buy pre-built wheels and tension/true them on my own.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3020 on: February 17, 2023, 08:12:45 AM »
I find building wheels to be one of the most tedious and wrist-wrecking activities one can undertake with a bicycle. I have a lot of wrist pain and no doubt much of it comes from building hundreds of wheels as well as mounting tubular tires.

Most of what I’m riding now, I built myself, but if I needed a new wheel tomorrow, I’d be taking that shit to a homie.

Also, quality pre-built/machine-built wheel sets are great. Just make sure they are properly tensioned and stress relieved and they are as good or better than any hand built wheel.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3021 on: February 17, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »
I used to love building wheels. Lacing them is the most relaxing activity. tensioning them can be a pain, but I imagine it's the same type of pleasure people get from knitting or whatever.

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3022 on: February 18, 2023, 09:35:45 PM »

I read this post and it made me have a little moment. I just want to say I’m sorry for your loss, I feel your pain. I recently had a local lumber yard go out of business that I had been going to for years and it feels pretty bad. I always had a great experience and felt like I was welcome and treated as a valued customer when I went there, it’s rare to get that anymore.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 65
« Reply #3023 on: February 23, 2023, 11:29:30 AM »
Finally got rid of my skateboard madness, now I have my eye on this Fairdale bike. Tell me, are bikes just as madness inducing as skateboards? I just want to buy something simple and stick with it. I’m leaning towards the Fairdale cause I’ve seen some skaters use it with the rack and the prices seem fair.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 309
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3024 on: February 23, 2023, 01:52:41 PM »
Finally got rid of my skateboard madness, now I have my eye on this Fairdale bike. Tell me, are bikes just as madness inducing as skateboards? I just want to buy something simple and stick with it. I’m leaning towards the Fairdale cause I’ve seen some skaters use it with the rack and the prices seem fair.
I've recently dabbled into some bike stuff (I would not call it madness) since my bike got stolen a month ago. Got 2 bikes secondhand for cheap and have gotten them both tuned up. They ride significantly better; both bikes and the tune ups costed me less than buying a 1 brand new bike so definitely look around on offerup or fb marketplace. You may come across a really cool vintage bike or an insane deal on a nice high end road bike. There are some perks of getting a new bike from a local shop as they usually offer free tune-up services for the next 1-2 year from the purchase date.

Fairdale skate rack is definitely a great purchase/must-have if you plan on riding to skate spots. I am considering buying a brooks B17 saddle as they just look cool and seem like a nice investment. Fairdale bikes look great and the company sends bikes to a bunch of amazing skaters so I don't think you could go wrong with supporting them with a bike purchase

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #3025 on: February 23, 2023, 01:53:43 PM »

Bikes are worse mostly because they are more expensive. But, yes the madness is probably worse.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3026 on: February 23, 2023, 02:08:51 PM »
Bikes are way worse. Craigslist has a whole category for "Bike Parts". Imagine if such a thing existed for skateboards.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #3027 on: February 23, 2023, 02:27:19 PM »
I thought just buying the best of everything once when I bought a real bike (bmx still top of the line) would be one and done but no...when you got the madness it spreads...
Just got to try and remember you can only ride one bike at a time or skate one set-up at at time..
Problem is there is no jack of all trades...

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3028 on: February 23, 2023, 02:37:06 PM »
If deck wheelbase warps your brain, just wait until you learn about trail measurements on bikes....

OhioGuy

• Rep: 65
« Reply #3029 on: February 23, 2023, 02:59:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I’m going to look at some used options first, and I want to remain willfully ignorant on all the tech stuff. Hopefully Ben Degros doesn’t have an bike enthusiast counterpart on YouTube. I know too much about skateboards now 😅