Author Topic: bikes  (Read 306996 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: bikes
« Reply #3120 on: April 08, 2023, 09:16:48 AM »
cleared to mtb next month, georgia you're about to get dismantled by the last full rigid 29" in america

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3121 on: April 08, 2023, 09:18:35 AM »
Bought a Giant Escape 3 from my local bike shop. I was amazed that after 20 years I can still ride a bike. Guess the saying is true. Anyway, I’m already overwhelmed with the gears. Will be keeping it in the middle and call it a day. Don’t think madness will take me with this hobby. Skateboards are so simple and that’s what makes them addictive (to me).

Hence the popularity of 1x drivetrains.

FWIW, I helped my brother buy a similar bike about 15 years ago and he's ridden it several tens of thousands of miles, including commuting to and from work daily now to years. You get a bunch of bike nerds together and they're gonna post their ridiculous fancy custom bikes, but the truth is that a decent hybrid bike from a reputable manufacturer is all the bike which 99.99999% of bike riders will ever need.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #3122 on: April 08, 2023, 09:25:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Bought a Giant Escape 3 from my local bike shop. I was amazed that after 20 years I can still ride a bike. Guess the saying is true. Anyway, I’m already overwhelmed with the gears. Will be keeping it in the middle and call it a day. Don’t think madness will take me with this hobby. Skateboards are so simple and that’s what makes them addictive (to me).

[close]

Hence the popularity of 1x drivetrains.

FWIW, I helped my brother buy a similar bike about 15 years ago and he's ridden it several tens of thousands of miles, including commuting to and from work daily now to years. You get a bunch of bike nerds together and they're gonna post their ridiculous fancy custom bikes, but the truth is that a decent hybrid bike from a reputable manufacturer is all the bike which 99.99999% of bike riders will ever need.
Oh totally. I have no desire to spend thousands on a bike. They look cool, but are overkill for me. I paid $600 after taxes and that’s basically my limit. Just had my first ride around the neighborhood. Felt good climbing the hills ☺️

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3123 on: April 08, 2023, 09:26:52 AM »
cleared to mtb next month, georgia you're about to get dismantled by the last full rigid 29" in america

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #3124 on: April 09, 2023, 06:50:26 PM »

Congrats on the good news, but unless you have a big red beard, ride clip less and said 29” is ss, there’s a guy around here.

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3125 on: April 10, 2023, 04:12:23 PM »
liquidating and updating.

carry on
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3126 on: April 10, 2023, 05:02:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Congrats on the good news, but unless you have a big red beard, ride clip less and said 29” is ss, there’s a guy around here.

1x9  8)

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3127 on: April 19, 2023, 10:05:05 AM »
phase 1 complete: big bike sold.

phase 2 initiated: new bike ordered.

grip strength training continues. cardio remains at approximately 70%. that'll have to do.

phase 3 to begin in earnest when I take receipt of new bike.

stay rolling

You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3128 on: April 19, 2023, 03:27:45 PM »
my bike that i just rebuilt this month with parts for over a 100 euros was stolen tonight :(

i guess i deserved it for running a cable lock with this one. i have my "good" bike locked down with my only u-lock and so i used the cheaper lock for this. i don't know why anyone would steal this simple rusty single speed above all the other way cooler bikes that were around that alley. i'm mainly mad because there were new lights and pedals on that bike that i just bought. i can't afford to buy this shit just to get it stolen 2 weeks later. shit sucks. the other bike needs a lot of maintenance after the winter to ride smooth, this will probably be another 50-100 quid i have to pay just to ride. fuck.

had a pretty shitty day overall anyways, so this is like poop cherry on top of this diarrhea cake of a day.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 61
« Reply #3129 on: April 19, 2023, 03:31:34 PM »
my bike that i just rebuilt this month with parts for over a 100 euros was stolen tonight :(

i guess i deserved it for running a cable lock with this one. i have my "good" bike locked down with my only u-lock and so i used the cheaper lock for this. i don't know why anyone would steal this simple rusty single speed above all the other way cooler bikes that were around that alley. i'm mainly mad because there were new lights and pedals on that bike that i just bought. i can't afford to buy this shit just to get it stolen 2 weeks later. shit sucks. the other bike needs a lot of maintenance after the winter to ride smooth, this will probably be another 50-100 quid i have to pay just to ride. fuck.

had a pretty shitty day overall anyways, so this is like poop cherry on top of this diarrhea cake of a day.
So sorry to hear that your bike got stolen. I hate thieves. I hope they crash it and eat shit.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3130 on: April 19, 2023, 03:36:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
So sorry to hear that your bike got stolen. I hate thieves. I hope they crash it and eat shit.

ty, i appreciate it

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3131 on: April 19, 2023, 03:40:55 PM »
Argh, that sucks, Frank
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3132 on: April 20, 2023, 12:28:55 AM »
How do you guys handle drivers that clip you?

I just had a woman knock me back a foot while crossing a road on foot wheeling my bike.

I always keep the bike closest to the car so it takes the knock and not me but I was pretty pissed at this person who I could see was on her phone looking down while moving forward

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 771
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #3133 on: April 24, 2023, 09:09:27 PM »
Usually flip them off. But. Trying to not harbor that energy anymore. They’re naive and inconsiderate which lengthens their suffering. Not much one can do other than advocate for bikes and try to be visible.

I’ve been wondering what locks do PALS use. I got the standard kryptonite u lock and locking padded chain. Any newer brands out there that work well? Saw some futuristic ones lately.

nothing's been the since same

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #3134 on: April 24, 2023, 09:35:19 PM »
Usually flip them off. But. Trying to not harbor that energy anymore. They’re naive and inconsiderate which lengthens their suffering. Not much one can do other than advocate for bikes and try to be visible.

I’ve been wondering what locks do PALS use. I got the standard kryptonite u lock and locking padded chain. Any newer brands out there that work well? Saw some futuristic ones lately.

Kryptonite has never failed me.

Also, for the Lycra PALS, Rapha is doing 20% off bibs and shorts with the code SAVE20.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3135 on: April 25, 2023, 02:43:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Kryptonite has never failed me.

Also, for the Lycra PALS, Rapha is doing 20% off bibs and shorts with the code SAVE20.

i use a kryptonite u-lock as well, just have to maintain it a bit since it's pretty old. needs some wd-40 regularily or i look like i'm trying to steal my own bike. the bike that got stolen was on cable/bunch of wires type lock. i will only use u-locks from now on. i don't think it really matters if you buy krypto or abus... i think anything above 50 quid is kind of the same in as it takes the same tool to break it up. my stolen bike was on a lock you could clip easily with any boltcutter. i guess any sort of solid u-lock will have the thieve have to break out some sort of flex tool or something, so at least the attempt will be pretty loud, obvious and maybe take more than 3 seconds. 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3136 on: April 25, 2023, 03:00:13 AM »
I’ve had the same kryptonite lock since my abus one broke and I can’t complain, I’m not doing long haul lock ups though.

At best 15-20 minutes.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #3137 on: April 25, 2023, 11:32:19 PM »
I’ve had the same kryptonite lock since my abus one broke and I can’t complain, I’m not doing long haul lock ups though.

At best 15-20 minutes.
Broke my Abus key last winter on lock, Kryptonite has been serving me good since and they have a bit sturdier key, think I’m gonna stick with them fom now on.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3138 on: April 26, 2023, 01:19:24 PM »
Got fucking tired of fucking around trying to figure out which shifters are compatible with which casettes & derailleurs, so I set up some bar-end friction shifters.

Will wrap up the handlebars tomorrow, will try and post some pics.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3139 on: April 26, 2023, 02:25:31 PM »
Got fucking tired of fucking around trying to figure out which shifters are compatible with which casettes & derailleurs, so I set up some bar-end friction shifters.

Will wrap up the handlebars tomorrow, will try and post some pics.

Good call. I've got a stash on Suntour barcons and flat bar shifters in my parts bin, and I've had the same flat bar shifters on my commuter - which I salvaged from a bike which had been picked apart and left to rust on a bike rack - for the past ~10 years.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 798
« Reply #3140 on: April 27, 2023, 12:23:18 AM »
A car pulled out of a garage in front of me this morning on my way to work.. fucker wasn't looking and I was in the bike lane, I rolled over the hood. He was wearing a mask and had his phone in his hand. I kicked the windshield in after jumping on the bonnet and smashed the drivers window with my elbow. Fucking good morning. My brake was locked up think my back wheel got bent or something. I just went home and changed clothes and grabbed another bike took a different route to work. Shaking still from it.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3141 on: April 27, 2023, 01:08:10 AM »
A car pulled out of a garage in front of me this morning on my way to work.. fucker wasn't looking and I was in the bike lane, I rolled over the hood. He was wearing a mask and had his phone in his hand. I kicked the windshield in after jumping on the bonnet and smashed the drivers window with my elbow. Fucking good morning. My brake was locked up think my back wheel got bent or something. I just went home and changed clothes and grabbed another bike took a different route to work. Shaking still from it.

goddammit. glad you're ok!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3142 on: April 27, 2023, 02:22:38 AM »
Damn dude, thank fuck you’re alright though.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3143 on: April 27, 2023, 05:23:03 AM »
Thanks Pals. Definitely shook me up. At least he won't be driving that car for a few days.
I think I'll buy a helmet tomorrow.

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3144 on: April 27, 2023, 05:55:50 AM »
You got a burly-ass elbow to smash in the driver's side window.  Fuck that dude and glad you're all good.  The driver of that car probably bathes in hand sanitizer.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3145 on: April 27, 2023, 08:41:37 AM »

That's gnarly. There's no terror like that split second when you realize that the car isn't stopping. Glad you're ok.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3146 on: April 27, 2023, 08:50:01 AM »
Yeah I was quite hungover that went away quickly. Pretty sore now, amazed I wasn't totally fucked up. Took it super easy on the way home. Defo knocked my confidence on my bike a bit. I think if I didn't skate I'd be in the hospital...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #3147 on: April 27, 2023, 08:52:41 AM »
Damn, that is rough. Did you exchange words with the driver? What city did this go down in?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3148 on: April 27, 2023, 09:27:46 AM »
Nah he didn't even get out of the car. He was saying excuse me, hence me snapping. Grenoble France. Guy was driving alone with a mask on. Didn't ever roll down the window. Fuck him and his car.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3149 on: April 27, 2023, 03:29:39 PM »

looking to get a 2nd bike for homies to ride since I have a few wanting to visit me before I leave CA. this single speed caught my attention and would be fun to ride around in flat as fuck Houston. Is this bike worth buying? seller says hardly been used and it has new tires/brakes