Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304708 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: bikes
« Reply #1770 on: September 17, 2020, 08:08:23 AM »
Surly straggler. Just got new tyres and I love it even more!

Rad Dunc! Welcome to the club. What tires are you running on yours? I'm currently on Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads (43s) but I'm on more paved than unpaved these days so might down size.

I heard a rumor the Straggler might be discontinued (too much over lap with the Crosscheck and Midnight Special). Anyway, they are no frills and heavy but versatile and I love mine.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1771 on: September 17, 2020, 09:38:08 AM »
both those gravel bikes are so sick, do you guys have road or mountain bike drive trains?

Lorem_Ipsum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #1772 on: September 17, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »

Ah good old forest park. Maybe see you up there once this damn smoke clears out, Frank and Fred. Sick whip too!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1773 on: September 17, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »
both those gravel bikes are so sick, do you guys have road or mountain bike drive trains?

Thanks! Road. This certainly is pretty close to a do it all bike but its still a road bike. I like to find the quietist shittiest roads I can but sometimes I do wish I own a lighter speedier road bike to challenge a few fellow MAMILs. I'm due a big bonus at work next year and I'm tempted to invest in a Midnight Special  and turn my Straggler into a bullet proof, around town, platform pedaled, cargo, low geared single speed.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1774 on: September 17, 2020, 10:53:29 AM »
[
Ah good old forest park. Maybe see you up there once this damn smoke clears out, Frank and Fred. Sick whip too!

Ha! Nice!
I usually have some give-away skateboarder identification on me. Can't wait to ride again. This year was a bust. I like to end the summer with a century and was planning a mixed terrain ride over Mt Hood to Hood River but I can't see that happening now.

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1775 on: September 17, 2020, 11:01:46 AM »
Ha! Nice!
I usually have some give-away skateboarder identification on me. Can't wait to ride again. This year was a bust. I like to end the summer with a century and was planning a mixed terrain ride over Mt Hood to Hood River but I can't see that happening now.

Same here haha. Spitfire fanny pack usually gives it away for me. However there's so much skate/cyclist crossover in this city it's pretty easy to spot one another in the world. Yes this summer/year has been pretty atrocious - trying to stay optimistic and positive despite it all. I'll keep an eye out in forest park for ya. I usually ride a Bombtrack with my friend who's on a Salsa Warroad. If you see us don't hesitate to say hi. Stay up!

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1776 on: September 18, 2020, 01:29:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Surly straggler. Just got new tyres and I love it even more!
[close]

Rad Dunc! Welcome to the club. What tires are you running on yours? I'm currently on Bruce Gordon Rock and Roads (43s) but I'm on more paved than unpaved these days so might down size.

I heard a rumor the Straggler might be discontinued (too much over lap with the Crosscheck and Midnight Special). Anyway, they are no frills and heavy but versatile and I love mine.

I went and got some Specialized pathfinder pro tyres 700 x 43. Good price and the roll so nice on and off road. Been riding cheap CST tyres before that and boy can you tell the difference. Is that a custom paint job on yours?
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1777 on: September 18, 2020, 01:33:32 AM »
Thanks!!I have a road setup on the straggler and a mountain bike set up on my cross check that I commute and tour on . I just chucked some old biopace chain rings on for a play and gee they are shit!
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1778 on: September 19, 2020, 11:00:06 PM »
so i think i'm finally getting into cycling... feel like it's been a long time coming. gives me some sort of high that i don't know if skating ever could. anyway, what are good ways to get faster? bike up hills a lot? riding techniques? i'm tryna cook and also not spend money upgrading my bike.

edit: also weird question but any recs for good cycling content on instagram, etc.?

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1779 on: September 20, 2020, 12:07:29 AM »
so i think i'm finally getting into cycling... feel like it's been a long time coming. gives me some sort of high that i don't know if skating ever could. anyway, what are good ways to get faster? bike up hills a lot? riding techniques? i'm tryna cook and also not spend money upgrading my bike.

edit: also weird question but any recs for good cycling content on instagram, etc.?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdb7KEc7xJI

No need to spend alot of money on your bike unless your racing competitively.  I ride a used cannondale road bike that I bought for $200.  That being said, I'll likely upgrade in the next few years.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1780 on: September 20, 2020, 01:22:52 AM »

you have friends that are into bikes? ask them for one they don't use. friends give the best deals.

just get a used beater that fits you for a start, if you get a nice frame for your size, you can pretty much upgrade the rest as you go.

but that can be costly, depending on how neurotic you get with upgrading. i got my bike from my buddy when he bought a new one, could have made it ridable with 50 bucks but probably spent 200,- to make it to my liking. almost as much as his cheap ass new bike, but probably better parts on a longer lasting frame. my only problem is that the frame is one size too big for me but that only sucks when i get on, riding position is fairly comfy. so if you get the right size frame from the start you can save yourself a lot of hassle as you can change out everything else pretty much easily and cheaply if you go second hand parts.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1781 on: September 20, 2020, 04:24:54 AM »

Look up Terry Barensten

Don’t know if it’s spelt that way

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1782 on: September 20, 2020, 05:51:10 AM »
dear god, pogacar just made our whole nation experience sophie's choice, so many emotions at the same time

as a nation, we've also had at least one athlete/team experiencing some incredible achievement each year (for us to root for), but I cannot recall a time when we were so overwhelmed by the sheer tragedy of one athlete (roglic) and the birth of a fucking legend (pogacar) at the same time

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1783 on: September 20, 2020, 06:41:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Look up Terry Barensten

Don’t know if it’s spelt that way

That’s a good one. I also enjoy Dustin Klein’s channel, he’s more in the woods on trails. Depends on what kinda riding you like.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1784 on: September 20, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »
dear god, pogacar just made our whole nation experience sophie's choice, so many emotions at the same time

as a nation, we've also had at least one athlete/team experiencing some incredible achievement each year (for us to root for), but I cannot recall a time when we were so overwhelmed by the sheer tragedy of one athlete (roglic) and the birth of a fucking legend (pogacar) at the same time

That was beyond incredible.  I was a little sad that it was happening.  But it;s undeniable.  The kid did it without a team any team members to be found on most  of the hard days.  Then to finish with that TT.  Congrats to your entire country.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1785 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:38 AM »
Picked up a Surly Steamroller the other day on FB marketplace. Been looking to get my hands on one for a while. It rides so smooth.  :D

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #1786 on: September 20, 2020, 10:28:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you have friends that are into bikes? ask them for one they don't use. friends give the best deals.

just get a used beater that fits you for a start, if you get a nice frame for your size, you can pretty much upgrade the rest as you go.

but that can be costly, depending on how neurotic you get with upgrading. i got my bike from my buddy when he bought a new one, could have made it ridable with 50 bucks but probably spent 200,- to make it to my liking. almost as much as his cheap ass new bike, but probably better parts on a longer lasting frame. my only problem is that the frame is one size too big for me but that only sucks when i get on, riding position is fairly comfy. so if you get the right size frame from the start you can save yourself a lot of hassle as you can change out everything else pretty much easily and cheaply if you go second hand parts.
i actually have a bike i picked up on craigslist that i like a lot. looked into it and it used to be the house brand for a high-end bike shop in the city, so i guess although it's a few decades old it's still a fairly solid bike.

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1787 on: September 29, 2020, 09:47:22 AM »
I just received 2 knock-off Rapha jerseys that I ordered off of wish.com as an experiment - they're great! At 12 dollars a piece, they fit fine enough. A little loose in the sleeves but they feel (and more or less fit) like some other higher end jerseys that I own from Craft or Sportful. Just throwing this out here for those who don't feel like spending an absurd amount of money of a one-dimensional clothing item.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1788 on: September 29, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »
Picked up a Surly Steamroller the other day on FB marketplace. Been looking to get my hands on one for a while. It rides so smooth.  :D

Yeah yeah, post a pic of your set up. The Steamroller is my daily ride. I've been commuting on one since 2006. Its been a high-geared skinny tire, brakeless fixed but is currently a lower-geared two-braked single speed with knobby 33s and wide riser bars. Love it.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #1789 on: September 30, 2020, 12:36:34 AM »
I did a 75k ride on sunday with 1000m of climbing with probably 55k of it on gravel. I've always been a sucker for the feeling that I get when I'm absolutely exhausted but still find energy to keep moving. Hope I can squeeze in a 100k before the snow lands, but that could be any moment now here in Oslo.

anillusionofthepants

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1790 on: September 30, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1791 on: September 30, 2020, 07:32:33 PM »
^^^^^^I hate how I am interested in that collaboration. But to this day, I can't seem to wear a proper bike jersey without. I think the better fit for me would be a soccer jersey but I swear those fit odd on me too.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #1792 on: September 30, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »
Not sure if there are other Tom Segura Fans on here but when I see this thread title I always hear it in a specific voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXtjfSUuuzg
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1793 on: October 01, 2020, 09:27:53 AM »
a buddy built a single speed for me years ago and it's always been a blast.  During the pandemic, my kids have been biking with me all over and having fun on long rides and bombing parking garages and whatnot.

in order to include one of the younger ones, I've been hauling this attachment.

any suggestions for a sturdy bike that's similar in feel to a single speed, but with only a couple "gears" and without entering the mountain-bike category? 

would appreciate any suggestions.  ultimately, the bike would turn into a my bike for long rides, cruising, and getting to/from skate spots.
hardly art, hardly starving

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #1794 on: October 01, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
a buddy built a single speed for me years ago and it's always been a blast.  During the pandemic, my kids have been biking with me all over and having fun on long rides and bombing parking garages and whatnot.

in order to include one of the younger ones, I've been hauling this attachment.

any suggestions for a sturdy bike that's similar in feel to a single speed, but with only a couple "gears" and without entering the mountain-bike category? 

would appreciate any suggestions.  ultimately, the bike would turn into a my bike for long rides, cruising, and getting to/from skate spots.

Check out State Bicycles. They have reasonably priced offerings for single speed, 3 speed, 8 speed bikes and beyond that I've heard good things about. Their brand identity doesn't take itself too seriously and it seems like they're in it to help people enjoy the experience. I hope that you find something there that fits the bill, or at least steers you in the right direction.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1795 on: October 01, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1796 on: October 01, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
I have downsized my stable as I am phasing out of road riding to focus on MTB, more XC/trail than Enduro/DH but my current fleet is:

Pegoretti Marcello 59cm, Catch the Spider colorway, in colors to commemorate my mom. I got to work with Dario on it. Rest in Peace to both of them.
Campag Chorus 12
Campag alloy wheels

Stinner Refugio All-Road
Ultegra 11spd (pre-GRX) 2x
Absolute Black chain rings with DA crank arms and a Stages Power meter
Multiple sets of wheels for gravel or road whatever.

All City single speed cross bike (I forget the model name)
has a basket on it. I chae the kids on it on local dirt trails or ride it to pick up beer.

Now for what I really love lately.
Yeti SB130
Shimano XT
Fox 36
Fox Dropper

Kashima finish on those.
Fucking love that bike. has made the switch to MTB quite enjoyable.

consistent themes on the bikes, mismatched cockpits, Chris King stuff everywhere. Only wear Rapha. Fizik shoes. POC helmets. Sorry. Not trying to be bougie.

image1 by LivingMinimal, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:21:35 PM by bigdave »
ok thanks

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #1797 on: October 01, 2020, 06:19:56 PM »

Now for what I really love lately.
Yeti SB130
Shimano XT
Fox 36
Fox Dropper

consistent themes on the bikes, mismatched cockpits, Chris King stuff everywhere. Only wear Rapha. Fizik shoes. POC helmets. Sorry. Not trying to be bougie.

image1 by LivingMinimal, on Flickr

Nice Yeti! I'm a 27.5 guy or it would be on my list for next bike. Rapha on the trails is a bit bougie tho :P

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1798 on: October 01, 2020, 06:27:49 PM »
l

Nice Yeti! I'm a 27.5 guy or it would be on my list for next bike. Rapha on the trails is a bit bougie tho :P

Hahahahaha on the trail it’s all fox gear. Got a hookup.
ok thanks

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1799 on: October 01, 2020, 06:38:02 PM »
I need a bottle cage upgrade, been looking at xlab gorilla range only because I run the bottle triathlon style behind the saddle and my current cage just keeps dropping bottles