Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304745 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
Re: bikes
« Reply #1860 on: October 19, 2020, 06:45:20 AM »
G'day pals, really keen on getting a gravel bike to do more bike camping.

I've looked at a couple of options and they are fairly pricey. However, I'm a student and looking to also use this bike as a commuter, so I want to try and build one without spending too much.

One of my teachers built his own with an old steel frame tour bike and some gravel tires.

Just wondering if anyone had advice or experience converting a tour bike to gravel bike and would be able to lend a hand!

Cheers :-)

Gravel bikes are essentially road bikes with bigger tires. Just looks for something that will allow you to put 37-42ish mm tires on it. as long as there is clearance for the tires you'll be good.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1861 on: October 19, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
disc brakes= lots of tire clearance

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #1862 on: October 19, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »
G'day pals, really keen on getting a gravel bike to do more bike camping.

I've looked at a couple of options and they are fairly pricey. However, I'm a student and looking to also use this bike as a commuter, so I want to try and build one without spending too much.

One of my teachers built his own with an old steel frame tour bike and some gravel tires.

Just wondering if anyone had advice or experience converting a tour bike to gravel bike and would be able to lend a hand!

Cheers :-)

Another option to look at is an early steel frame mountain bike - geometry on some of the old mountain bikes was close to modern gravel bikes, plus you’ll have good mounting points, tons of tire clearance, and cheap parts. 26” wheels probably won’t win you any races but they’re bulletproof - Surly Long Haul Truckers still spec them out on some sizes of the complete bike I believe. You can always put on drop bars or touring bars if you’re looking for more hand positions.

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1863 on: October 19, 2020, 10:49:21 AM »
GCN just did a video on making a cycle cross bike for $300. Not a whole lot of info you wouldn't already assume but check out Craigslist or other social media platforms on getting good deals. I think the most expensive would be the bike and rims. After that, you can buy a lot of things just on Amazon brand new. As someone said above, just get a frame with tire clearance. The rest seems like general parts or just things that would be a biker's preference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O_IlPbOjpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSiQcF2nYkk
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1864 on: October 19, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »
any of you dudes use an indoor bike riding stand for riding in the winter? I'm thinking about getting one because I always say that I'll ride all winter, but when the weather starts sucking, I usually don't.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1865 on: October 19, 2020, 11:00:48 PM »
I know absolutely nothing about bikes, and haven't ridden one since primary school. Looking to get a good commuter bike to get to and from skate spots in San Francisco and Berkeley. Any advice on what to look for, where to look and what kind of components to get (I don't even know what parts there are in a bike lol)? Much appreciated!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #1866 on: October 19, 2020, 11:22:43 PM »
For a commuter, I'd say there a three options:
1) if you will ride more than just pavement, so some gravel roads, get a used hybrid and put some anti-puncture tires on it (35-40mm in width)
2) pavement only, get a fitness bike
3) pavement only, but long distance, get a used road bike (hard to find cheap, I think)

Although, speaking of SF, lower gears of MTB bikes could come in handy, so that's also an option. Budget in a good U lock and learn how to properly lock your bike!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1867 on: October 20, 2020, 12:04:12 AM »
I know absolutely nothing about bikes, and haven't ridden one since primary school. Looking to get a good commuter bike to get to and from skate spots in San Francisco and Berkeley. Any advice on what to look for, where to look and what kind of components to get (I don't even know what parts there are in a bike lol)? Much appreciated!

I always promote these guys and I have no idea why but if you are looking for a single speed bike, the State bikes seem like a good bang for your buck. I read on some reviews that the bikes aren’t much to brag about but they are great for the price. For a first bike, can’t go wrong with $300 and you can gradually upgrade on some parts as you go along.

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/core-line
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1868 on: October 20, 2020, 12:52:41 AM »
For a commuter, I'd say there a three options:
1) if you will ride more than just pavement, so some gravel roads, get a used hybrid and put some anti-puncture tires on it (35-40mm in width)
2) pavement only, get a fitness bike
3) pavement only, but long distance, get a used road bike (hard to find cheap, I think)

Although, speaking of SF, lower gears of MTB bikes could come in handy, so that's also an option. Budget in a good U lock and learn how to properly lock your bike!

Expand Quote
[close]

I always promote these guys and I have no idea why but if you are looking for a single speed bike, the State bikes seem like a good bang for your buck. I read on some reviews that the bikes aren’t much to brag about but they are great for the price. For a first bike, can’t go wrong with $300 and you can gradually upgrade on some parts as you go along.

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/core-line

Thanks for the feedback guys. Wouldn't a single speed bike be not ideal for hills and stuff? I think it will be almost exclusively pavement, don't really see myself taking it offroad at all. How does that core bike compare to something like this? Besides the latter being a single speed of course.
https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/4130-steel-bikes/products/4130-road-black-metallic

Also how does this one look? https://www.instagram.com/p/CGiCmDhFf47/ anything you guys see wrong with it? A buddy of mine says its pretty good besides frame shifting, which isn't necessarily a dealbreaker?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:59:34 AM by tzhangdox »

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1869 on: October 20, 2020, 04:30:41 AM »
If you are in the bay area, I would avoid single speeds, I wouldn't recommend a vintage bike as a commuter because it might not be the most reliable bike. If you are willing to learn about doing mechanical stuff yourself, and investing in some tools, it can be really fun.
That said, fuji gang.
I'm not a huge fan of those build it up direct sale entry level bike stores, you really get what you pay for, they often cheap out on lesser thought of components that later on will cost you. Cheap bearings, tires, rims, bottom brackets.
Try and find a roadie, or gravel bike that fits you new or used.  Get fitted or use a sizing chart, nothing worse than buying the wrong size.
I ride a trainer in the witner, it keeps me going, i ride on zwift, its "fun", its better than not riding, and I am usually pretty fresh when spring riding comes back.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1870 on: October 20, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
After a couple of years of commuting on rainy days with rain cape and over-pants, I might invest in a decent/good quality rain-proof jacket. Might go for Chrome or anything gore-tex, is it worth it?

BTW I'm really stoked on my weatherproof Hoka trail shoes, no more soggy skate shoes even after a big downpour. Definitely improve my commute and also overall super comfy if you work standing up all-day

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1871 on: October 20, 2020, 09:38:30 AM »
After a couple of years of commuting on rainy days with rain cape and over-pants, I might invest in a decent/good quality rain-proof jacket. Might go for Chrome or anything gore-tex, is it worth it?

Absolutely worth it. Do some research though, and try to avoid trading rain-wetness with sweat-wetness. It can be kind of an oxymoron but look for something waterproof yet breathable. I commute year round in the PNW and have had lots of luck with Showers Pass gear, including their waterproof socks and gloves. gore-tex seems to have nothing but positive feedback in the rain department, but I can't say the same for chrome.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1872 on: October 20, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
I forgot you were from the Bay Area. Yeah, definitely get a road bike with gears. I went from a fixie to road and it is like night and day. You can get to places way faster and way easier with less stress on your legs.

I like new bikes myself but if you are watching your budget, I am sure there are some deals on Craigslist where you can get a bike for a tad cheaper than what you get retail. Also some online places, you can buy a bike and pay monthly with 0% APR for like 12 months. I think Mike's Bikes has deals like that. I bought my bike at American Cyclery near Haight St and not to far away from FTC. They are a great shop and I did get a deal on my bike but I would have bought it even retail to support them.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Yibb-Tstll

« Reply #1873 on: October 20, 2020, 11:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Absolutely worth it. Do some research though, and try to avoid trading rain-wetness with sweat-wetness. It can be kind of an oxymoron but look for something waterproof yet breathable. I commute year round in the PNW and have had lots of luck with Showers Pass gear, including their waterproof socks and gloves. gore-tex seems to have nothing but positive feedback in the rain department, but I can't say the same for chrome.

Thanks! Good to know about Chrome, I was just thinking about it because I really like my Bravo Backpack. I'm already having great advices on the tech side from my parents who are big Ironman/trail runners and know their outdoorsy stuff. But it's also nice to have some feedback from commuters/skaters. Like the go-to coach jacket was definitely on the sweat-wetness side

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1874 on: October 20, 2020, 03:28:03 PM »
If you are in the bay area, I would avoid single speeds, I wouldn't recommend a vintage bike as a commuter because it might not be the most reliable bike. If you are willing to learn about doing mechanical stuff yourself, and investing in some tools, it can be really fun.
That said, fuji gang.
I'm not a huge fan of those build it up direct sale entry level bike stores, you really get what you pay for, they often cheap out on lesser thought of components that later on will cost you. Cheap bearings, tires, rims, bottom brackets.
Try and find a roadie, or gravel bike that fits you new or used.  Get fitted or use a sizing chart, nothing worse than buying the wrong size.
I ride a trainer in the witner, it keeps me going, i ride on zwift, its "fun", its better than not riding, and I am usually pretty fresh when spring riding comes back.

What kind of trainer do you have?   One of my friends on here said he has a Elite Direto XR.  I just stopped by my shop and they have the Saris H3, which I can get a deal on.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1875 on: October 20, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »

BTW I'm really stoked on my weatherproof Hoka trail shoes, no more soggy skate shoes even after a big downpour. Definitely improve my commute and also overall super comfy if you work standing up all-day

I've scored a pretty sweet Patagonia rain coat from a free pule and it's been great. Breathable, I don't get wet in the winter rain, and Patagonia repairs/replaces anything you send back, no questions asked.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1876 on: October 21, 2020, 04:03:12 AM »
Expand Quote
That said, fuji gang.
[close]

What kind of trainer do you have?   One of my friends on here said he has a Elite Direto XR.  I just stopped by my shop and they have the Saris H3, which I can get a deal on.
I have a wahoo kickr snap, its good, its a smart trainer, and it doesn't lose connection. I had a kinetic trainer before and it always lost connection or the resistance would get messed up mid ride and it would need to be reset. I wouldn't recommend  the kinetic brand.
I just googled that trainer, that is a direct drive, looks sick, seems to be priced reasonably, and I hear inventory is really limited right now, at least it is in Canada. Go for it.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #1877 on: October 21, 2020, 05:09:17 AM »
Finally, after months of waiting for all parts to arrive I have my new commuter. Surly Straggler in the 650b version, sram rival x11, and the biggest tires I’ve ever ridden. Very happy with that one.

Damn Matze, this is gorgeous. My wife had a long haul trucker she absolutely loved.

I also had the same rack when I was a messenger.

This thread alone makes me feel the burning desire to build another bike.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1878 on: October 21, 2020, 05:48:03 AM »
Buddy from work is brining me some 41c Knards for me.  Its supposed to snow here Sunday and I will be working all day so I want to stuff some fatties into my cross/work/gravel bike.

The Wound Up fork I have supposedly clears a 45c so we will see how it goes. 

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1879 on: October 21, 2020, 06:47:03 AM »
Buddy from work is brining me some 41c Knards for me.  Its supposed to snow here Sunday and I will be working all day so I want to stuff some fatties into my cross/work/gravel bike.

I got a pair of those and have yet to put em on. drop an update when you use em!

garthblader

« Reply #1880 on: October 21, 2020, 06:53:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got a pair of those and have yet to put em on. drop an update when you use em!

Dope! I will toss up some photos if I ever get around to taking some. The Knards are super rad, a generous 41c for sure so we will see if they fit.  I have about 45c of clearance in front of the tire on my chainstays.  Hopefully going to lace up some Velocity Quill rims soon for the fatties. 

What bike are they going to go on?

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1881 on: October 21, 2020, 02:44:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That said, fuji gang.
[close]

[close]
I have a wahoo kickr snap, its good, its a smart trainer, and it doesn't lose connection. I had a kinetic trainer before and it always lost connection or the resistance would get messed up mid ride and it would need to be reset. I wouldn't recommend  the kinetic brand.
I just googled that trainer, that is a direct drive, looks sick, seems to be priced reasonably, and I hear inventory is really limited right now, at least it is in Canada. Go for it.

Nice, thank you.  The shop has been trying to get wahoos since April, and it's clearly not going to happen.  So this H3 is my only pick.  But I can get $300 off, so that'll do.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1882 on: October 21, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »
Double post time.

People trying to build up a gravel bike.

I was given a mid 80's 12 speed Nishiki, in my size, mid level steel frame.  Not race quality, but not junk.  As with 3 of my last many bikes it came with 27" wheels Instead of 700s.  And there isn't shit available in a 27" tire.  If you're lucky you can find some 1 3/8" wide tires with a little tread on them, but they're not very good and can't really be run at lower pressures for comfort and traction.   Was hoping to make it into a 1x8 burrito slayer, commuter, winter cruiser.  Not really sure it's worth the money or effort.

Some bikes I'm told you can just throw 700c wheels on, but the two I have tried there was no way to make the brakes reach the rim.  Yes I ordered so long reach brakes, and still a no go.   Clearly a fixie wouldn't matter.

So if you're looking at older road bikes, make sure they have 700c wheels instead of 27s.  So many more options for wheels and tires.

Thank you for listening to my Joust talk...

garthblader

« Reply #1883 on: October 21, 2020, 06:36:50 PM »
Double post time.

People trying to build up a gravel bike.

I was given a mid 80's 12 speed Nishiki, in my size, mid level steel frame.  Not race quality, but not junk.  As with 3 of my last many bikes it came with 27" wheels Instead of 700s.  And there isn't shit available in a 27" tire.  If you're lucky you can find some 1 3/8" wide tires with a little tread on them, but they're not very good and can't really be run at lower pressures for comfort and traction.   Was hoping to make it into a 1x8 burrito slayer, commuter, winter cruiser.  Not really sure it's worth the money or effort.

Some bikes I'm told you can just throw 700c wheels on, but the two I have tried there was no way to make the brakes reach the rim.  Yes I ordered so long reach brakes, and still a no go.   Clearly a fixie wouldn't matter.

So if you're looking at older road bikes, make sure they have 700c wheels instead of 27s.  So many more options for wheels and tires.

Thank you for listening to my Joust talk...

Take that shit to a builder and get the brakes re-brazed on there and rock the 700c or 650b.  The clearances are actually pretty surprising and the conversion is usually really cheap.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1884 on: October 21, 2020, 06:38:30 PM »
I will not.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1885 on: October 22, 2020, 05:06:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've scored a pretty sweet Patagonia rain coat from a free pule and it's been great. Breathable, I don't get wet in the winter rain, and Patagonia repairs/replaces anything you send back, no questions asked.

If you have the 250plus bucks to invest I highly recommend a jacket with gore-tex technology. Every company has a different fit and sometimes the details make a huge difference. For the past 4-5 years I had a Montane running jacket, that was excellent, but only had one pocket. Small fit, never got wet, helmet fitted over the hood and it was super light too. Today I ordered an Arcteryx Beta SL from the shop, a wider jacket that is more versatile and can also be worn with more layers. In the last months I tried on different brands and models and that was the only one I really liked (either way they were too heavy, had a bad look, short arms or something else). Mammut seemed to be great too, but they're more expensive. The Patagonia Calcite jacket seemed great too, especially for the price.

Yibb-Tstll

« Reply #1886 on: October 26, 2020, 12:23:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If you have the 250plus bucks to invest I highly recommend a jacket with gore-tex technology. Every company has a different fit and sometimes the details make a huge difference. For the past 4-5 years I had a Montane running jacket, that was excellent, but only had one pocket. Small fit, never got wet, helmet fitted over the hood and it was super light too. Today I ordered an Arcteryx Beta SL from the shop, a wider jacket that is more versatile and can also be worn with more layers. In the last months I tried on different brands and models and that was the only one I really liked (either way they were too heavy, had a bad look, short arms or something else). Mammut seemed to be great too, but they're more expensive. The Patagonia Calcite jacket seemed great too, especially for the price.

thanks for the reco! Arcteryx and Mammut are definitely out of my budget, but Patagonia seems like the best option. 250 is not that bad. I always think of my bike/commute budget in regards to subway fares and it quickly pays for itself.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1887 on: October 26, 2020, 03:47:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That said, fuji gang.
[close]

[close]

What is the difference between wahoo kickr snap vs the other more expensive ones? My wife wants a Peloton and oddly doesn't know how to ride a bike. I wonder if the Wahoo trainers are a way to go as well as getting her a moderate road bike. That way I can ride the Wahoo trainer as well as her and in the log run, teach her how to ride a bike. But I wonder if I am reaching that Peloton price where she'll argue that we should just get that instead. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1888 on: October 27, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
the peleton bike starts at 2500, plus $50 per month subscription.
you can buy a decent trainer 300-1000, heart rate monitor, speed and cadence sensor, the package is about 120 and a zwift subscription for $15 monthly. Its not a lot cheaper, but cheaper  than a peloton , but much more versatile.
I am not anti peleton, I wouldn't buy one, but it seems to entourage people to workout and they have a sold business model,  and get more people cycling.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1889 on: October 27, 2020, 03:39:27 PM »
She will not ever, ever, ride that peleton to the bar, or thru a park. 

Just buy a clothes rack from goodwill.  No subscription needed.