Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304749 times)

jack burton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
Re: bikes
« Reply #1890 on: October 27, 2020, 05:29:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After a couple of years of commuting on rainy days with rain cape and over-pants, I might invest in a decent/good quality rain-proof jacket. Might go for Chrome or anything gore-tex, is it worth it?

BTW I'm really stoked on my weatherproof Hoka trail shoes, no more soggy skate shoes even after a big downpour. Definitely improve my commute and also overall super comfy if you work standing up all-day
[close]

I've scored a pretty sweet Patagonia rain coat from a free pule and it's been great. Breathable, I don't get wet in the winter rain, and Patagonia repairs/replaces anything you send back, no questions asked.
[close]

If you have the 250plus bucks to invest I highly recommend a jacket with gore-tex technology. Every company has a different fit and sometimes the details make a huge difference. For the past 4-5 years I had a Montane running jacket, that was excellent, but only had one pocket. Small fit, never got wet, helmet fitted over the hood and it was super light too. Today I ordered an Arcteryx Beta SL from the shop, a wider jacket that is more versatile and can also be worn with more layers. In the last months I tried on different brands and models and that was the only one I really liked (either way they were too heavy, had a bad look, short arms or something else). Mammut seemed to be great too, but they're more expensive. The Patagonia Calcite jacket seemed great too, especially for the price.
[close]

thanks for the reco! Arcteryx and Mammut are definitely out of my budget, but Patagonia seems like the best option. 250 is not that bad. I always think of my bike/commute budget in regards to subway fares and it quickly pays for itself.

Check out Patagonia’s site for lightly used gear. It’s still not cheap cheap but not as expensive as it regularly is.

Bought some giro privateers today and can’t find my clip less peddles. Took em off months ago as I didn’t care for the shoes I was running. Bummed cause I was looking forward to trying em out.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #1891 on: November 11, 2020, 08:37:48 PM »
kinda thinking about getting a 29 inch BMX.  Anyone have any experience with one of them?
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1892 on: November 16, 2020, 12:03:28 PM »
Revisiting this topic for the first time in years as I just picked up a Surly Bridge Club for commuting/riding around/maybe bikepacking. I'll post pics when I have it where I want in a week or so. Got some Hexlox locking skewers, but am shopping for a better U-Lock or chain for general use. What does everyone like? Looking at the Abus Mini 40, Kryptonite 22" Evolution chain or maybe a Kryptonite NY lock. I'm in SF so theft potential is very high. I won't be leaving anywhere overnight and have a bike locker at work.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #1893 on: November 16, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
I've always had Abus locks, so I'd go with them, but I'd get a regular sized one, since it's hard/impossible to lock both the wheel and the frame to a stand/fence/whatever with a mini.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1894 on: November 16, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »
I would just literally take my bike everywhere without ever leaving it anywhere. The bike theft in the Bay Area is insane and I guess I kind of get it since resale on bikes are so good.

Anyone on here ever want to put a Tile tracker on their bike? It seems like a logical thing to do since a bike moves fast after it is stolen.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1895 on: November 16, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
Outside of my garage and office, I don't plan on leaving it longer than 15 mins, anywhere.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1896 on: November 16, 2020, 05:39:30 PM »
i'm using this lock

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/kryt-us-2/en/products/product-information/current-key/002130.html?type=bicycle

i have another lock which is a chain lock by abus that i sometimes use as a secondary, but never on its own.

the dude at my local shop said unless i want a bigger lock there isn't really a difference in performance from the kryptonite one upwards i the sense that if they want your bike, they just need to bring the right tools anyway, and if they have the tools to break this one, they have the tools to break basically any bikelock anyway.

that shop is also the main messenger bike shop, he said they all use this one, said i could go for an abus as well, not really a difference, though and he likes kryptonite. i watched a vid from the lockpicking lawyer picking this lock and he basically said the same, this lock is adequately safe and he said your bike is not likely to get picked with it(unless heavy tools involved).

i leave my bike anywhere, granted it's more of a nicer rusty beater, so it's not superlikely to get stolen for parts anyway. i got my last, expensive bike before that stolen though and that was actually stored in the house i lived in at the time.
i have friends that have had bikes stolen out of storage units, too.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1897 on: November 17, 2020, 04:57:46 AM »
i keep my bikes in the basement.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1898 on: November 17, 2020, 09:20:39 AM »
Ended up going with an Abus Granit Mini 54. Seem pretty good and lighter than the Kryptonites at that range.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1899 on: November 17, 2020, 09:28:52 AM »
I'm in Paris and I also use the same U-lock with an additional Krypto flex cable to secure both wheels with the frame.
I have a bike locker in my building but when I (used to) go out to a bar/gig, I usually lock it close to other less secured bikes (sorry). The only things that got stolen in 5 years were the lights I forgot to pick-up

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #1900 on: November 17, 2020, 09:40:55 AM »
I have a OnGuard U-lock, which some reviews praise and some diss as being weak. They are affordable and are a big step above most other locks used in my area, so I trust them.

I have the longest version, because if you cannot lock your bike to an immovable object, you might as well not lock it at all.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1901 on: November 17, 2020, 09:47:02 AM »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #1902 on: November 17, 2020, 12:24:06 PM »
Yes and I lock up any nearby bikes as well and everybody thank me later for the kind service.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1903 on: November 17, 2020, 12:34:46 PM »
Hahaha

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1904 on: November 18, 2020, 04:58:12 AM »
any of you guys have rollers? Like the old school ones?

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1905 on: November 18, 2020, 08:52:01 AM »

I had some for awhile but don't have them anymore. I had Kreitler Rollers that a friend lent me when he moved into a tiny apartment but then I moved out of my apartment and I don't know where they ended up.

They were fun, but really a novelty unless you are trying to improve your technique on a very technical level. They are loud and the sound they make is akin to the sound a shieldless bearing makes but amplified about a million times. It's a horrible sound. They're more fun than a trainer, but I think they offer much less in the way of fitness because there's no resistance. I think you can get them with resistance but I've never tried those. It's takes a few tries to get used to them because it's a strange sensation to be pedaling as hard as you can and going nowhere.

What's your question about them?

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1906 on: November 18, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »
just wondering what brands were good, bad, what people thought.  I was looking for something a little easier to just jump on. I have a trainer, and a newborn. The trainer requires some time, preparation and a little bit of setup every time.
I tried them at my friends house on the weekend, and I got up pretty fast 3-4 mins , it felt amazing on my fixed gear.
Do you recall what size the rollers were? I have seen them sold with 4 inch, 3, and 2.5, the smaller the roller the higher the tension.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1907 on: November 19, 2020, 12:08:24 AM »
just wondering what brands were good, bad, what people thought.  I was looking for something a little easier to just jump on. I have a trainer, and a newborn. The trainer requires some time, preparation and a little bit of setup every time.
I tried them at my friends house on the weekend, and I got up pretty fast 3-4 mins , it felt amazing on my fixed gear.
Do you recall what size the rollers were? I have seen them sold with 4 inch, 3, and 2.5, the smaller the roller the higher the tension.

I only used them with a track bike. This was during the big "fixie" boom of the early 2000s and there were bars that ran goldsprints on certain nights of the week. It was a big to-do during the CMWC in NYC in (I think???) 2005 or so. My friend raced track so that's why he originally had them, but I just used them for fun when my friends would come over and wanted to try them.

The ones I had at home were 4" I'm pretty sure, the drums were big, just based on a quick google search. They were definitely the top of the line at the time (Kreitler was the brand as I mentioned in my previous post) as my friend was a manager at a bike shop and was able to get a good fell-off-the-back-of-the-truck type of deal on them.

I don't see how they would take less time to set up than a trainer. They definitely take up more floor space. They are definitely more fun than a trainer, but that's not saying much. Like I said, for me, they were more of a novelty and I didn't really get into them, but I never cycled competitively nor was I ever really interested in maximizing my cycling efficiency or perfecting my pedal stroke.

Probably now that everyone is stuck inside more than before, they may be hard to find used, but I remember you could buy them used for about 1/4 of the price of new ones because people get bored of them, like many pieces of home fitness equipment.

But if you've already tried them at your friends house and like them, maybe you know you will like them and use them a lot. I'd personally rather spend that $500 on 3-4 pairs of really nice new tires or some other stuff for my bike (or put it towards a guitar) but that's me. I guess it depends on where you're living and how often you can take an hour away from the baby to go for a ride.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1908 on: November 19, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »
^^
I don't know about rollers but I just got an old trainer for $15 at a 2nd hand store and while it's not fun in any way, shape, or form and takes 5 minutes to set up, it's keeping me pedaling while the rain pours down. Unless I'm going in the mountains, I only ride fixed and I'm already seeing a difference in cadence and stamina when I get on the road. I just got back into riding during the early summer after about 5 years away, so maybe it's different for me. How long does it take you to arrange your trainer?
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1909 on: November 20, 2020, 04:03:19 AM »
It can be a 5-10 min ordeal every time, water, towels,  get dressed, calibrate, turn on computer, log into zwift, wait for it to load. Its not that bad, but I usually only do 60-90 min session 3x a week, I felt like rollers would be a more simple approach to do little 20-30 min workouts when my kid is sleeping.
I am not looking to replace m current trainer, just something  different and simple.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1910 on: November 20, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »
It can be a 5-10 min ordeal every time, water, towels,  get dressed, calibrate, turn on computer, log into zwift, wait for it to load. Its not that bad, but I usually only do 60-90 min session 3x a week, I felt like rollers would be a more simple approach to do little 20-30 min workouts when my kid is sleeping.
I am not looking to replace m current trainer, just something  different and simple.

no doubt. I definitely don't have a trainer anywhere near that technical. You ever think about an old school trainer without electronics? Once I get the bike locked in back, it's pretty simple. But I don't have a kid, so I'm not tryna act as if I get the struggle.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #1911 on: November 29, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »
Any recommendations for a mountain bike? I don’t really want to pay more than $2k. Was looking at a Marin. I just moved a few months ago and there’s a park with a ton of trails like half a mile away.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1912 on: November 30, 2020, 04:59:35 AM »

i have the nashbar ones. good for cruising, bad for any sort of training (intervals, high cadence drills etc).

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1913 on: November 30, 2020, 05:01:07 AM »
Any recommendations for a mountain bike? I don’t really want to pay more than $2k. Was looking at a Marin. I just moved a few months ago and there’s a park with a ton of trails like half a mile away.

the lower end trek stuff (roscoe 7, marlin 5) are pretty deece starters at an agreeable ass price. good luck finding one though, covid has the entire cycling supply chain in a whirl (at least on the east coast)

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #1914 on: November 30, 2020, 06:52:01 AM »
Midwest too.  I luckily bought mine used three weeks before lockdown hit.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1915 on: November 30, 2020, 10:35:31 AM »
I've had my steamroller fixie hooked up on the trainer for a couple weeks now and I'm already noticing a marked improvement in my cadence. I've alway ridden brakeless so I tend to mash- this is a nice change of pace.
I also threw a set a of ritchey cyclecross tires on the crosscheck. Riding an hour out of town to jam on logging roads is a blast. Riding on dirt berms and shit remind me of skating.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #1916 on: November 30, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the lower end trek stuff (roscoe 7, marlin 5) are pretty deece starters at an agreeable ass price. good luck finding one though, covid has the entire cycling supply chain in a whirl (at least on the east coast)
Yea the shop I normally go to has nothing but ebikes now.

I’ve been watching this YouTube guy “old shovel” and he restores old mountain bikes. I wish I had the tools to do that, looks like a fun hobby. The channel is weird, he’s super calm and it’s almost therapeutic watching him restore the bikes.
https://youtu.be/dbLxSsfKzmA

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1917 on: December 01, 2020, 09:57:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yea the shop I normally go to has nothing but ebikes now.

I’ve been watching this YouTube guy “old shovel” and he restores old mountain bikes. I wish I had the tools to do that, looks like a fun hobby. The channel is weird, he’s super calm and it’s almost therapeutic watching him restore the bikes.
https://youtu.be/dbLxSsfKzmA

Get a bike a couple years old off of Pinkbike.com buy/sell or your local craigslist/facebook marketplace.  Covid has sold out a lot of stock so it might be hard new. 

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1918 on: December 08, 2020, 09:15:44 AM »
Just bought some rollers to make riding in the dark winter a little easier. Need some suggestions on equipment to calculate mileage while being stationary.

In case anyone is curious I grabbed the Tacx Galaxia rollers.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1919 on: December 08, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »
nice, those are awesome.  what did you pay? Its so hard to get bikes and equipment right now, especially in Canada. My friend has a trainer on order and it got pushed back from November to January.