Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304750 times)

Lorem_Ipsum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: bikes
« Reply #1950 on: January 14, 2021, 10:17:06 AM »
Anybody in here on Zwift? I just started my 30 day trial and it's already very addicting.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1951 on: January 14, 2021, 11:17:40 AM »
Whats your name, i will add you. Been on since 2017 when it was just watopia. Make sure to try racing when you are comfortable, and don't lie about your weight.  :D

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1952 on: January 14, 2021, 11:40:44 AM »
Whats your name, i will add you. Been on since 2017 when it was just watopia. Make sure to try racing when you are comfortable, and don't lie about your weight.  :D

Cool! For others that are on Zwift, feel free to message me and I'll add you as well. Sending you a dm now, Beeda.  8)

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1953 on: January 14, 2021, 11:54:53 AM »
Just bought some rollers to make riding in the dark winter a little easier. Need some suggestions on equipment to calculate mileage while being stationary.

In case anyone is curious I grabbed the Tacx Galaxia rollers.

time on the bike is more important than mileage, esp if you’re just spinning in your crib and not doing specific workouts (over under, sweet spot etc). throw on a flick and cruise

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1954 on: January 14, 2021, 04:30:46 PM »
I'm still debating about buying a trainer.  Those damn things are expensive.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1955 on: January 14, 2021, 04:47:43 PM »
I'm still debating about buying a trainer.  Those damn things are expensive.

I see basic magnetic trainers on craigslist for under $100. I got mine at a 2nd hand junk store for $15 or so and while it doesn't have bells and whistles, I can throw on a video and pedal away.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1956 on: January 15, 2021, 03:42:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Just bought some rollers to make riding in the dark winter a little easier. Need some suggestions on equipment to calculate mileage while being stationary.

[close]

time on the bike is more important than mileage, esp if you’re just spinning in your crib and not doing specific workouts (over under, sweet spot etc). throw on a flick and cruise

More for analytics. I guess less to do with mileage and more to do with speed and cadence. But knowing mileage would help calculate the rest.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1957 on: January 15, 2021, 04:54:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

More for analytics. I guess less to do with mileage and more to do with speed and cadence. But knowing mileage would help calculate the rest.

idk if it’s worth spending the $$ on but you can always get a power meter- that’ll do your cadence and wattage on an indoor trainer at least

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1958 on: January 15, 2021, 08:42:03 PM »
Here's the daily ride. Picked it up off this guy on Craigslist for $500 a few years back (pretty sure after he ate shit trying to skid stop in sand). Probably newest nicer bike I've owned. Fast and smooth, not the easiest ride, not the hardest ride. Definitely manageable and fun in this hilly coastal region

Surly Crosscheck (2010-12?)
campy record headset
itm road racing stem
not sure what the bars are, pretty sure I took them off an old Bianchi and cut them to flip
Paul front hub
Phil rear hub
Phil BB
DT Swiss wheels
Armadillo tires
Brooks saddle
Rocket ring
43x16
Shimano cranks
Hold Fast straps
odyssey pedals

ugh_whut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1959 on: January 17, 2021, 06:52:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

idk if it’s worth spending the $$ on but you can always get a power meter- that’ll do your cadence and wattage on an indoor trainer at least

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/  is the C-Net equivalent for fitness tech. A single sided crank arm powermeter (Stages, 4iiii) could be worth checking out or the Favero Assioma Power Pedals might also fit the bill if you want to pursue the rabbit hole that is data.
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1960 on: January 18, 2021, 08:56:44 PM »
My most recent build:

'92 Nishiki Alien set up as a 1x7 speed
Picked up the frame/fork on ebay a while back, then gathered the bits over another year (plus) & finally put it all together last year.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:54:25 PM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1961 on: January 20, 2021, 05:41:47 AM »
My most recent build:

'92 Nishiki Alien set up as a 1x7 speed
Picked up the frame/fork on ebay a while back, then gathered the bits over another year (plus) & finally put it all together last year.

slap a front rack on that!!

Garbagewagon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1962 on: January 20, 2021, 02:12:01 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Spicer bike frames?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1963 on: January 20, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »

gene spicer(?) i think was the framebuilders name, he was from PA. made pretty good but not great track stuff during the initial fixed gear boom of like 05-08 or something.

Garbagewagon

« Reply #1964 on: January 20, 2021, 04:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

gene spicer(?) i think was the framebuilders name, he was from PA. made pretty good but not great track stuff during the initial fixed gear boom of like 05-08 or something.

That’s him. He’s in Indiana. Sounds right. Price was right for a frame set. Really good customer service and nice to talk to/work with.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1965 on: January 20, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That’s him. He’s in Indiana. Sounds right. Price was right for a frame set. Really good customer service and nice to talk to/work with.

right on, i think he mostly uses double butted cro-mo which is not spectacular but pretty similar to what surly, specialized etc use(d) for their single speed/fixed stuff. will be a solid whip for you! congrats

Garbagewagon

« Reply #1966 on: January 20, 2021, 05:14:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

right on, i think he mostly uses double butted cro-mo which is not spectacular but pretty similar to what surly, specialized etc use(d) for their single speed/fixed stuff. will be a solid whip for you! congrats

Thank you! I’m excited, I haven’t built a bike in a while.

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1967 on: January 23, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »
Need your help, Slap! So I’m a complete amateur when it comes to bikes but I’ve been wanting to purchase one for mellow rides on the road and maybe the occasional dirt trail, nothing crazy though!

From the minimal research I’ve done it seems like a “hybrid” bike would suit my needs fine?
I found this one on Craigslist and I know I could talk it down to $350. Is this a good choice and an okay deal? Any advice would be much appreciated : )

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/bik/d/palm-desert-bianchi-boardwalk/7266643638.html

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #1968 on: January 23, 2021, 01:51:17 PM »
realistically you're not gonna want to take that bike down anything more than a dirt road

froufroufox

« Reply #1969 on: January 23, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
realistically you're not gonna want to take that bike down anything more than a dirt road

Word yeah I guess I meant that rather than a trail. I plan on doing 99% of my riding on asphalt/concrete.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #1970 on: January 23, 2021, 02:17:53 PM »
Need your help, Slap! So I’m a complete amateur when it comes to bikes but I’ve been wanting to purchase one for mellow rides on the road and maybe the occasional dirt trail, nothing crazy though!

From the minimal research I’ve done it seems like a “hybrid” bike would suit my needs fine?
I found this one on Craigslist and I know I could talk it down to $350. Is this a good choice and an okay deal? Any advice would be much appreciated : )

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/bik/d/palm-desert-bianchi-boardwalk/7266643638.html

One piece of advice I would have would be to not be afraid of looking at a drop bar bike, as it really opens up a bunch of different hand positions if you do decide to start doing longer rides, ride a little faster, etc. There's ways to set them up where you're still pretty upright and in control of the bike.

If you're set on a flat bar, that Bianchi is pretty sweet, but maybe also take a look at some older rigid frame mountain bikes. Wider tires open up more trails/dirt roads, and with some slick tires you won't be losing very much speed when on the road, considering you'll have a very similar position on the bike as with a hybrid. Plus you can (or could pre bike boom) score some of them for a really good deal, and only have to drop a little extra money for a tune up/new tires at the shop.

ugh_whut

« Reply #1971 on: January 23, 2021, 08:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One piece of advice I would have would be to not be afraid of looking at a drop bar bike, as it really opens up a bunch of different hand positions if you do decide to start doing longer rides, ride a little faster, etc. There's ways to set them up where you're still pretty upright and in control of the bike.

If you're set on a flat bar, that Bianchi is pretty sweet, but maybe also take a look at some older rigid frame mountain bikes. Wider tires open up more trails/dirt roads, and with some slick tires you won't be losing very much speed when on the road, considering you'll have a very similar position on the bike as with a hybrid. Plus you can (or could pre bike boom) score some of them for a really good deal, and only have to drop a little extra money for a tune up/new tires at the shop.

I 2nd Enrico here on exploring drop bar bikes if you can drop a bit more coin, as drop bar bikes are more expensive right off the bat, new or used. With that said, Bianchi hybrids from this era are solid and this thing would suite your needs pretty well all the same. You could certainly fit a 38c tire in this thing, if you ever do get the urge to really venture off the beaten path. As for the price, this thing retailed for around $500, so short of it being mint, I'd say $300 is as high as I would go but there is a bike boom and shortage. Good luck and ride safe
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1972 on: January 23, 2021, 08:47:53 PM »

I think that price is too high and if you keep looking and are able/willing to maybe drive a little ways to pick up a bike you will find a better bike at a lower price. Search other fairly local CL areas because I looked at yours and pickins are slim. IMO, don't rush because if you get a bike you really don't care for or that limits where/how you can ride, you'll ride a whole lot less than if you have a bike you love.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #1973 on: January 24, 2021, 04:09:12 AM »
Any tips for looking at used bikes? Aside from just making a checklist for myself of parts/features that I like and shopping around? I always get such anxiety over any purchases over €100, it's going to take me months to buy this bike.

Also what kind of brake systems do people like? I had disc brakes before and really liked them, but I wouldn't know how to maintain them or God forbidden do any work on them.

froufroufox

« Reply #1974 on: January 24, 2021, 12:03:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I 2nd Enrico here on exploring drop bar bikes if you can drop a bit more coin, as drop bar bikes are more expensive right off the bat, new or used. With that said, Bianchi hybrids from this era are solid and this thing would suite your needs pretty well all the same. You could certainly fit a 38c tire in this thing, if you ever do get the urge to really venture off the beaten path. As for the price, this thing retailed for around $500, so short of it being mint, I'd say $300 is as high as I would go but there is a bike boom and shortage. Good luck and ride safe

Thank u both for the advice and tips, super appreciated! The reason why I wasn’t considering drop bars at first is cuz they looked a bit too extra and I’d be overdoing it for how casual I’m looking to ride. But after reading more about the differences between drop vs. flat, seems like drop is just better all-around. I’ll def keep my eyes out now.

Thanks for giving me info on the value of this bike too, think I’ll search around a bit more.

froufroufox

« Reply #1975 on: January 24, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think that price is too high and if you keep looking and are able/willing to maybe drive a little ways to pick up a bike you will find a better bike at a lower price. Search other fairly local CL areas because I looked at yours and pickins are slim. IMO, don't rush because if you get a bike you really don't care for or that limits where/how you can ride, you'll ride a whole lot less than if you have a bike you love.

Word, thanks for the tips! I live in LA and am just out in the desert visiting my parents’ place for a bit. I’ll prolly wait until I get back home since I’m sure the selection is a lot better over there.

ugh_whut

« Reply #1976 on: January 24, 2021, 07:27:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thank u both for the advice and tips, super appreciated! The reason why I wasn’t considering drop bars at first is cuz they looked a bit too extra and I’d be overdoing it for how casual I’m looking to ride. But after reading more about the differences between drop vs. flat, seems like drop is just better all-around. I’ll def keep my eyes out now.

Thanks for giving me info on the value of this bike too, think I’ll search around a bit more.

No sweat, happy to help. I constantly deal w/ customers who spend too much on CL, so to be able help someone, on SLAP is sick and funny. Here's the bike I've been spending most of my time on.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1977 on: January 25, 2021, 05:13:38 AM »
is that a crockett or a checkpoint? i’m on a strict trek boycott but my shop is a trek dealer so i’m familiar still

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1978 on: January 25, 2021, 05:22:25 AM »
because of that racist redneck on their pro team?
They make quality bikes, but they are the most boring brand.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #1979 on: January 25, 2021, 08:14:59 AM »
i am only peripherally aware of whats going on in the bike industry these days but i've seen some shit on instagram calling for trek boycotts due to selling to lots of police departments