Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304775 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: bikes
« Reply #1980 on: January 25, 2021, 09:49:03 AM »
because of that racist redneck on their pro team?
They make quality bikes, but they are the most boring brand.

they also #backtheblue

ugh_whut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #1981 on: January 25, 2021, 10:45:08 AM »
is that a crockett or a checkpoint? i’m on a strict trek boycott but my shop is a trek dealer so i’m familiar still

It's a Crockett from a few years back, hence the SS setup by way of the adjustable dropout and I do have a Checkpoint as well. Trek has caught all sorts of flack over the last few months. First it was selling to PD's across the country, then came the Quinn Simmons Twitter BS and it's all with the backdrop of tone deaf leadership, across the board.
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1982 on: January 25, 2021, 11:20:37 AM »
Built up another fixed gear rig over the weekend. Ordering this MASH frame felt like a sneaker release. This one is for commuting ideally, new park nearing completion in the city goal is to ride this there and not have to worry about finding parking in a car. Super light compared to my steel vigorelli.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1983 on: January 25, 2021, 12:22:01 PM »
That is one helluva whip to commute to the skatepark on.  I've never had an aluminum frame. I've had my eye on the Mash Steel frames for some time. Kind of want to build up a bomber tracklocross inspired single speed to replace my Steamroller one day.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1984 on: January 25, 2021, 02:51:41 PM »
Trek is just the same as Element to me.  Started small and cool, then became huge and bland.

They've also done some very shitty moves on the inside, so I'm not with it.  But sure, they make some good bikes, and I don't fault those who ride them.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1985 on: January 25, 2021, 04:02:09 PM »
That is one helluva whip to commute to the skatepark on.  I've never had an aluminum frame. I've had my eye on the Mash Steel frames for some time. Kind of want to build up a bomber tracklocross inspired single speed to replace my Steamroller one day.

I’ll use it for my than just skatepark rides. I guess a better way to phrase it would be rides I won’t be getting kitted up for. I’m gonna run this pedal setup so I can ride in regular shoes

I like the way those tracklocross builds look but I know I don’t have a practical use for one myself. But I enjoy seeing them. Throw one together.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #1986 on: January 25, 2021, 05:39:09 PM »
that's a big gear to be your only gear

i'll assume your ripped now

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1987 on: January 25, 2021, 05:46:25 PM »
for a brief shining moment in my messenger days i rode 52/15. i will never recommend it.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1988 on: January 25, 2021, 07:03:26 PM »
for a brief shining moment in my messenger days i rode 52/15. i will never recommend it.

in my peak fixie days I was riding an old Bianchi that still had the original double front ring and a fixed cog. For a while I swapped from the inner ring to the bigger and was riding brakeless 53/18. The bike was fast as fuck. I rode it like a roadie and got strong as fuck at that point but my knees cry thinking about it today. Here's a picture without being on the big ring

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

ugh_whut

« Reply #1989 on: January 25, 2021, 08:01:10 PM »
Trek is just the same as Element to me.  Started small and cool, then became huge and bland.

They've also done some very shitty moves on the inside, so I'm not with it.  But sure, they make some good bikes, and I don't fault those who ride them.

Yeah, "started in the red barn, now we here" is a fun story with a vanilla extract ending, but same not a big fan, just a wanker who spends too much at the company store. Luckily we're gonna start to carry some other brands soon.

Here's more tracklocross content. Had this bike for 5ish years, possibly the nearest and dearest to my <3.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:12:43 PM by ugh_whut »
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1990 on: January 25, 2021, 09:40:40 PM »
Built up another fixed gear rig over the weekend. Ordering this MASH frame felt like a sneaker release. This one is for commuting ideally, new park nearing completion in the city goal is to ride this there and not have to worry about finding parking in a car. Super light compared to my steel vigorelli.

God damn buddy. Came out dope! Matching camo parts look good. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #1991 on: January 25, 2021, 09:52:24 PM »
Arrbee that mash is really nice!

Anyone ever ride a State? Looking at their framesets in consideration of my next build.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1992 on: January 26, 2021, 04:18:38 AM »
that's a big gear to be your only gear

i'll assume your ripped now

It is a large chainring but gearing is still moderate, 53/18 is less gear inches than my 48/16 on my other ride.

That is intense gearing that's over 90 gi never would go that high on the streets.

Expand Quote
[close]

in my peak fixie days I was riding an old Bianchi that still had the original double front ring and a fixed cog. For a while I swapped from the inner ring to the bigger and was riding brakeless 53/18. The bike was fast as fuck. I rode it like a roadie and got strong as fuck at that point but my knees cry thinking about it today. Here's a picture without being on the big ring

That Bianchi looks fun, 53/18 is what is on the MASH, I like it, gets up to speed fast and has a good cruising cadence for me. And like I said up there it's still lower GI than my 48/16 which is what I was used to.

God damn buddy. Came out dope! Matching camo parts look good. 

Thanks Fong! I considered going full fixed gear explosion era build and doing a bunch of blue parts to match the logo but ultimately decided to go black/silver/grey and let the frame do the talking.

Arrbee that mash is really nice!

Anyone ever ride a State? Looking at their framesets in consideration of my next build.

Thanks!

As far as State goes I have never ridden one but they are probably solid, and I would say more reputable than a lot of brands in their price tier. If you're just doing a frame and building it up I don't think you'll have too many issues. I think a lot of the components they use on their completes look cheap.

I am also convinced that much like skateboarding frames are made in like 6 factories and just get different logos slapped on them out the door.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1993 on: January 26, 2021, 06:19:49 AM »
state does the same aluxx stuff everyone else does there’s is just better made and they have some kind of brand clout through sponsoring some crit killaz and doing that pro interview series. kinda like cinelli anymore. my track bike days are way behind me but if i was gonna race a fixed crit i’d build one.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1994 on: January 26, 2021, 04:34:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, "started in the red barn, now we here" is a fun story with a vanilla extract ending, but same not a big fan, just a wanker who spends too much at the company store. Luckily we're gonna start to carry some other brands soon.

Here's more tracklocross content. Had this bike for 5ish years, possibly the nearest and dearest to my <3.

What frame is that?  It's probably what I need in my life. 

I've gotten two Puegoets a Raliegh and a Nishiki free from my shop.  Just turn them into the best single speeds that I can, and ride them til something better comes along.  But it never seems to happen with a cross bike, or something with wider tires.

Here's an 1982 Puegoet P8 I had until last April.  Put under $200 into it, sold for $420.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #1995 on: January 26, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »
state does the same aluxx stuff everyone else does there’s is just better made and they have some kind of brand clout through sponsoring some crit killaz and doing that pro interview series. kinda like cinelli anymore. my track bike days are way behind me but if i was gonna race a fixed crit i’d build one.
Thanks a bunch! I think the same way about frames @arrbee  haha,thanks for the 2 cents. Will probably get one soon

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

ugh_whut

« Reply #1996 on: January 26, 2021, 07:54:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What frame is that?  It's probably what I need in my life. 

I've gotten two Puegoets a Raliegh and a Nishiki free from my shop.  Just turn them into the best single speeds that I can, and ride them til something better comes along.  But it never seems to happen with a cross bike, or something with wider tires.

Here's an 1982 Puegoet P8 I had until last April.  Put under $200 into it, sold for $420.

It's an All City Nature Boy, setup as a fixed gear. Highly recommend a similar setup. Arbee, that thing is solid and funny you make the sneaker drop reference. Mash is doing a raffle or something next time?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:30:54 PM by ugh_whut »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1997 on: January 26, 2021, 09:59:03 PM »
^^^^^Mash had a drop date to buy online. I think those frames sold out quick like they were limited shoes. I dig the shop though. It’s like they are the FTC of track bikes in SF.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1998 on: January 27, 2021, 04:16:50 AM »
^^^^^Mash had a drop date to buy online. I think those frames sold out quick like they were limited shoes. I dig the shop though. It’s like they are the FTC of track bikes in SF.

Yeah, they sold out in less than 5 minutes. Their e-commerce host actually broke and oversold frames, he had to let almost 40 people know they weren't actually getting a frame. They were also extremely limited, I think he said there was only 60 of each color produced, 40 of each color available for sale in the US in 6 sizes. The rest were split between 3 international shops.

I was sweating it as I was ordering from my iPad in my car at a skatepark when they dropped. It was a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I got the order confirmation email and was relieved, then the next day or two days later he posted about the over selling and he was figuring out who wasn't getting one. And then a few days later he posted saying emails were sent out to those who had been canceled and luckily I didn't get one of those. I feel bad for the people that had to be canceled and were actually going to build them especially since there are some assholes that are trying to flip them on ebay for $2k. I think the people that he had to cancel are getting first crack at next drop or are going to be able to prebook and he is looking at a new system for release since this is the second time his e-commerce oversold.

And to back up Fong's statement, they are definitely like an FTC type bike shop. I really like what they're doing and support them when I can/they have what I'm looking for.  Bummed I slept on the jersey collab with Lotties they did.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1999 on: January 27, 2021, 05:25:34 AM »
it’s run by a skate photog and used to hook up igei and jovontae, it’s literally ftc for hyphy track bikes

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2000 on: January 27, 2021, 02:48:28 PM »
MASH AC-2.  Pretty happy with how the build turned out.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2001 on: January 27, 2021, 06:14:17 PM »
MASH AC-2.  Pretty happy with how the build turned out.

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2002 on: February 03, 2021, 07:23:08 PM »
Anybody got suggestions for good clipless pedals and cleats for a fixie? I’m thinking of going clipless but I the thought of accidentally unclipping when you skid too hard throws me off. And I trackstand a lot while waiting for the traffic lights to go green and undo my straps and step on my pedals flat. I imagine that clipless pedal trackstands are a lot harder and easier to fall off. Buying clipless pedals and cleats would also be useful for a road bike or TT bike that I’m thinking of buying.

Also, has anybody converted normal sneakers? I’ve seen pictures online and seen a pair of Old Skools converted to clipless. And no, I wouldn’t consider DZR. They look like cheap $5 sweatshop shoes

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2003 on: February 03, 2021, 09:41:13 PM »
Anybody got suggestions for good clipless pedals and cleats for a fixie? I’m thinking of going clipless but I the thought of accidentally unclipping when you skid too hard throws me off. And I trackstand a lot while waiting for the traffic lights to go green and undo my straps and step on my pedals flat. I imagine that clipless pedal trackstands are a lot harder and easier to fall off. Buying clipless pedals and cleats would also be useful for a road bike or TT bike that I’m thinking of buying.

Also, has anybody converted normal sneakers? I’ve seen pictures online and seen a pair of Old Skools converted to clipless. And no, I wouldn’t consider DZR. They look like cheap $5 sweatshop shoes

I always rode SPD's on my track bikes.  I never had issues unclipping while track standing even with them cranked to as tight as they go.  Most everyone I know now rides Time Atac stuff though.  I love my Sidi Dominators for shoes.  Don't go road/TT shoes because they are a pain to walk around in and you look like a gomer. 

I've seen converted shoes and the ones I have seen are pretty bootleg.  Clipless shoes aren't that much money, and with companies like 5.10 and Chrome you can get something that looks like a skate shoe but has clipless cleats built in.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2004 on: February 04, 2021, 04:48:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I always rode SPD's on my track bikes.  I never had issues unclipping while track standing even with them cranked to as tight as they go.  Most everyone I know now rides Time Atac stuff though.  I love my Sidi Dominators for shoes.  Don't go road/TT shoes because they are a pain to walk around in and you look like a gomer. 

I've seen converted shoes and the ones I have seen are pretty bootleg.  Clipless shoes aren't that much money, and with companies like 5.10 and Chrome you can get something that looks like a skate shoe but has clipless cleats built in.

Clipless on track bike is a game changer. I am so used to being clipless that I'll probably end up going that route with the MASH build, set it up clips and straps with the thought of using it get places and not have to carry a bag with other shoes and gear. As far as coming unclipped while pedaling or skidding it hasn't happened to me, you can adjust the tension on the release function of the pedals. I have them cranked down on the track bike and on the looser side on my gravel bike. I don't really track stand as I usually do the fake right turn go down that street a bit cross over and get back on the road I was on bit, but the times I have it wasn't any more or less difficult than standard pedals, it's pretty easy to get your feet off once your used to it.

I'm running SPD pedals on my cinelli track bike. The Shimano M324, fairly cheap and look great I think. I also like that if I wanted to I can easily toss straps and toe clips on the reverse side of the pedal to ride regular shoes. Downside is it's not something you could keep set up with out them dragging the ground if riding the clipless side

As far as shoes I am running Fizik Terra Powerstrap X4, which I got to ride on my gravel rig. Its a gravel shoe but its probably the most road looking gravel shoe out. Offers a good bit of rubber around the cleat so your aren't clomping around. Heel strike area is a little slim and I definitely got close to rolling an ankle when I first started wearing them, no issues now that I am used to them. They are around $150 but can almost always be grabbed for $90-100 on Amazon, that's where I got them. It was the beginning of Covid and shops weren't open for me to go and try on, seemed like the easiest route in case I needed to return.

@garthblader I could be incorrect but I don't think Chrome does the clipless models any longer. I went looking for some not long ago and was only able to find some used pairs on second hand sites like ebay and poshmark which I was still willing to buy and clean up but couldn't find my size.

EDIT: Went on a bit of a rabbit hole looking for SPD sneakers and came across these that don't look terrible. Remind me of DC/Etnies in a way. Looks like they are phasing them out as they are all on sale.
https://aftonshoes.com/collections/vectal
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:20:23 AM by arrbee »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2005 on: February 04, 2021, 05:16:05 AM »

time ATACS w/ the left and right cleat reversed were the standard when i was a courier. they’re easy to come by and cheap

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2006 on: February 04, 2021, 12:32:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Clipless on track bike is a game changer. I am so used to being clipless that I'll probably end up going that route with the MASH build, set it up clips and straps with the thought of using it get places and not have to carry a bag with other shoes and gear. As far as coming unclipped while pedaling or skidding it hasn't happened to me, you can adjust the tension on the release function of the pedals. I have them cranked down on the track bike and on the looser side on my gravel bike. I don't really track stand as I usually do the fake right turn go down that street a bit cross over and get back on the road I was on bit, but the times I have it wasn't any more or less difficult than standard pedals, it's pretty easy to get your feet off once your used to it.

I'm running SPD pedals on my cinelli track bike. The Shimano M324, fairly cheap and look great I think. I also like that if I wanted to I can easily toss straps and toe clips on the reverse side of the pedal to ride regular shoes. Downside is it's not something you could keep set up with out them dragging the ground if riding the clipless side

As far as shoes I am running Fizik Terra Powerstrap X4, which I got to ride on my gravel rig. Its a gravel shoe but its probably the most road looking gravel shoe out. Offers a good bit of rubber around the cleat so your aren't clomping around. Heel strike area is a little slim and I definitely got close to rolling an ankle when I first started wearing them, no issues now that I am used to them. They are around $150 but can almost always be grabbed for $90-100 on Amazon, that's where I got them. It was the beginning of Covid and shops weren't open for me to go and try on, seemed like the easiest route in case I needed to return.

@garthblader I could be incorrect but I don't think Chrome does the clipless models any longer. I went looking for some not long ago and was only able to find some used pairs on second hand sites like ebay and poshmark which I was still willing to buy and clean up but couldn't find my size.

EDIT: Went on a bit of a rabbit hole looking for SPD sneakers and came across these that don't look terrible. Remind me of DC/Etnies in a way. Looks like they are phasing them out as they are all on sale.
https://aftonshoes.com/collections/vectal

These are great suggestions thank you for these! I’ve got those flat/clipless pedals. Homie who worked at a bike shop gave them to me. Was thinking that I’d try them on if I get those Afton sneakers you recommended. The fizik cleats are clean too. Thanks!

And btw, have you skated Aftons? They look similar to DC Wes Kremer 2

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2007 on: February 04, 2021, 04:24:56 PM »
These are great suggestions thank you for these! I’ve got those flat/clipless pedals. Homie who worked at a bike shop gave them to me. Was thinking that I’d try them on if I get those Afton sneakers you recommended. The fizik cleats are clean too. Thanks!

And btw, have you skated Aftons? They look similar to DC Wes Kremer 2

I hadn’t heard of Afton until this morning when I was deep diving.

ugh_whut

« Reply #2008 on: February 04, 2021, 09:03:17 PM »

+1 for clipless
Shimano SPD's or Look X-Track's. Both have adjustable tension and you can use the same steel cleat and the cleats last longer than the brass of ATAC's. I think once you get the hang of riding a clipless setup it's far and wide, easier and safer than clips and straps not to mention you can use both sides of the pedal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I 2nd Sidi's for shoes, as far as quality goes, Shimano running a close 2nd. I've personally never had confidence in a casual styled shoe like DZR or Chrome in regards to how stiff they run for things like skidding, but thats probably also to the trade off of a regular looking sneaker hence my wearing MTB shoes on all the fixed gears I've had.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2009 on: February 05, 2021, 06:44:31 PM »
Here’s a mini velo type of thing I’m putting together. 20” BMX wheels w/ a Shimano nexus internal 3 drive & a single brake lever actuating front and rear brakes. Still gotta run brake & shifter cables & a chain.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?