Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304736 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: bikes
« Reply #2010 on: February 06, 2021, 07:04:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody got suggestions for good clipless pedals and cleats for a fixie? I’m thinking of going clipless but I the thought of accidentally unclipping when you skid too hard throws me off. And I trackstand a lot while waiting for the traffic lights to go green and undo my straps and step on my pedals flat. I imagine that clipless pedal trackstands are a lot harder and easier to fall off. Buying clipless pedals and cleats would also be useful for a road bike or TT bike that I’m thinking of buying.

Also, has anybody converted normal sneakers? I’ve seen pictures online and seen a pair of Old Skools converted to clipless. And no, I wouldn’t consider DZR. They look like cheap $5 sweatshop shoes
[close]

+1 for clipless
Shimano SPD's or Look X-Track's. Both have adjustable tension and you can use the same steel cleat and the cleats last longer than the brass of ATAC's. I think once you get the hang of riding a clipless setup it's far and wide, easier and safer than clips and straps not to mention you can use both sides of the pedal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I 2nd Sidi's for shoes, as far as quality goes, Shimano running a close 2nd. I've personally never had confidence in a casual styled shoe like DZR or Chrome in regards to how stiff they run for things like skidding, but thats probably also to the trade off of a regular looking sneaker hence my wearing MTB shoes on all the fixed gears I've had.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’d also like to add that what if I get road cleats. My left ankle is pretty weak from all the sprained ankles I got from skating and since road cleats are kind of like shoes with heels on the front, is there any tendency of them slipping and twisting my ankle? I’m still in the madness cuz I want proper road cleats when I save up and buy a TT bike or road bike.

Thanks again SLAP

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2011 on: February 06, 2021, 11:56:31 AM »

This looks real good. Love the crank setup. Looks super aggressive.

I've been meaning to convert my bike back to fixed, but the grips I have are a pain in the ass to take off, and I can slip my back brake lever off without taking the grip off.

ugh_whut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2012 on: February 06, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody got suggestions for good clipless pedals and cleats for a fixie? I’m thinking of going clipless but I the thought of accidentally unclipping when you skid too hard throws me off. And I trackstand a lot while waiting for the traffic lights to go green and undo my straps and step on my pedals flat. I imagine that clipless pedal trackstands are a lot harder and easier to fall off. Buying clipless pedals and cleats would also be useful for a road bike or TT bike that I’m thinking of buying.

Also, has anybody converted normal sneakers? I’ve seen pictures online and seen a pair of Old Skools converted to clipless. And no, I wouldn’t consider DZR. They look like cheap $5 sweatshop shoes
[close]

+1 for clipless
Shimano SPD's or Look X-Track's. Both have adjustable tension and you can use the same steel cleat and the cleats last longer than the brass of ATAC's. I think once you get the hang of riding a clipless setup it's far and wide, easier and safer than clips and straps not to mention you can use both sides of the pedal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I 2nd Sidi's for shoes, as far as quality goes, Shimano running a close 2nd. I've personally never had confidence in a casual styled shoe like DZR or Chrome in regards to how stiff they run for things like skidding, but thats probably also to the trade off of a regular looking sneaker hence my wearing MTB shoes on all the fixed gears I've had.
[close]

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’d also like to add that what if I get road cleats. My left ankle is pretty weak from all the sprained ankles I got from skating and since road cleats are kind of like shoes with heels on the front, is there any tendency of them slipping and twisting my ankle? I’m still in the madness cuz I want proper road cleats when I save up and buy a TT bike or road bike.

Thanks again SLAP

A road shoe/cleat combo is definitely more prone to slipping while walking, if that's what you're getting at? Shimano SPD SL, Look Keo's and whatever Time's latest road offering is called, are all big plastic triangles, usually on a carbon outsole with a touch of rubber on the heels. Speedplays might be worth looking into, as they offer a "walkable" cleat with rubber for grip around the mechanism.
       When I last used road shoes, Speedplays were what I had, simply outta convenience but lotsa folks like em for the "float" (ability to move around while still clipped in) so those might be worth a look, when you pull the trigger.

Hope this was helpful and you're able to skate and ride sooner than later.
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2013 on: February 22, 2021, 09:09:26 AM »
Hey guys,

Looking for some feedback on a new bike I wanna get. Looking for a performance hybrid type of bike – single chainring type of drive train with a 10/11 speed cassette. Daily commuting and comfort are key.

Here’s a little summary of where Im at.

Own a cyclo cross – which I never really take on trails – just wanted a beefier type of road bike – and it fit the bill. Use this all the time to commute to the skate spot (20 km return), good times.
Last year, I bought an electric assist hybrid (Giant Explore-E) – was getting lazy and got a nice tax return so I splurged. LOVED the thing. The best part about the bike was the geometry – it was sooo comfy – nice and relaxed, not aggressive at all, has a 1x9 drivetrain, added pannier racks and fenders and it was soo much fun. Commuted about 3500 km – skate spot – daycare drop-offs and errands. But the think weighs a ton, and I felt like Im being a little lazy. The assist is great – no free ride or throttle – you gotta pedal to make it move, but a couple of times Id take out my cyclo cross and its just as easy – bikes soo light that it goes.

So, this year, Id like to get a comfortable hybrid – ‘performance’ oriented, single drivetrain type of thing. Torn between 2 bikes. All City Super Professional (2300 CAD) and the Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (1350 CAD).

The All City is built on a SRAM Apex derailleur whereas the Speicalized is on Shimano Deore. All City is a steel frame (612 cromoly steel) and the Speicalized is Alluminum. Brakes on both are the same (tektra hydraulics)

Questions for you guys – how is the SRAM Apex vs Shimano Deore?

Steel or Aluminum? – Really torn on this one. Steel is real as they say. Worth the extra coin?? Anyone ride both (steel or alu) on a regular basis – what are your thoughts?

Brakes on both are the same – hydraulic Tektro. Both have fender / pannier / bottle mounts. Both come with larger tires (38 on the allcity / 42 on the specialized).

Im 44. Prob be one of the ‘last’  bikes I buy as I own a variety of them. Will build it up with fenders / racks for commuting etc..

Oh, and what do loose ball bearings really mean? Are they not sealed like a skate wheel bearing? It sounds kinda low end. That’s on the Specialized build.

I visually like both bikes. All city has some really nice design features on it….

Thanks for your feedback and comments guys.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/super_professional_apex_1

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/sirrus-x-3-0/p/187462?color=301083-187462&searchText=92421-7000

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2014 on: February 22, 2021, 10:25:46 AM »
Those are two very different bikes. I’d get the all city if you’re not worried about the price. However, it’s more road geo and not a hybrid/comfort bike.

sbmfj

« Reply #2015 on: February 22, 2021, 12:41:59 PM »
What makes them so different? The geo?

How do you go about comparing bike geos?
Are there certain ratios you should look for?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2016 on: February 22, 2021, 01:31:41 PM »
What makes them so different? The geo?

How do you go about comparing bike geos?
Are there certain ratios you should look for?

It's the way you sit. Hybrid has a more comfortable riding position with the seat being lower than the handlebars. Road frames are made for sitting in a more aerodynamic position. It kind of depends on what kind of riding you want to do and what kind of rider you are.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

sbmfj

« Reply #2017 on: February 22, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »
yea, I totally understand what you mean by that. Hybrid is more comfort oriented, not as aggressive as a race type of bike. Im looking for comfort. I tried the 58 All City (rode around in a shop) and it was comfy - mores o than the 55 of the same model - That one, as I had to raise the seat a little higher to compensate for the smaller frame, but the seat higher relative to the stem resulted in a more agressive postioning, and not as comfortable. ID go for the 58 frame over the 55 in that case.

When I try to compare both geometry's, its alittle tricky, as the specialize has that sloped tope tube...But the Stack measure (bottom bracket to the top part of the stem, is quite similar for both models 608 vs 610. Bucnh of other measures are off though....Hard to compare apples to apples..

Anyhow, thoughts on Steel vs Aluminum and SRAM vs Shimano?

Thanks for your help guys.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:20:43 PM by sbmfj »

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2018 on: February 22, 2021, 05:35:50 PM »
both component groups are good. i'd say you should just try both and see which you like better. i have 1x11 apex on my soma wolverine (which is steel) and love it, but i also haven't used recent shimano stuff, outside of quickly running through the gears on friends' bikes during mini tune ups. i guess if you're concerned about weight the aluminum might be better but i'm trying to get fit by peddling my heavy ass bike around. i've only ever had welds crack on aluminum bikes though, but i'm sure there is someone else out in the world with the reverse experience.

re loose ball bearings, a lot of shimano hubs are (or were? i'm less up to date then i used to be) loose ball. it's good stuff. very cheap to overhaul with the correct tools and will basically last forever as long as bearings are replaced and everything is cleaned out and fresh grease is packed in (probably annually would be fine). you can use bigger balls and bigger races when it's loose ball so much like bones six ball out last standard bones 7 ball, the races are less likely to get pitted to begin with. cartridge bearing hubs if you kill the bearings it's fine, replace the cartridge. but obviously a cartridge costs more than loose balls and often there will be a small amount of lateral play even in a good hub.

sbmfj

« Reply #2019 on: February 22, 2021, 06:24:32 PM »
Thank you for the summary UNGZILLA. Guess it comes down to steel vs aluminum.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2020 on: February 22, 2021, 06:38:13 PM »
I rode a carbon sirrus last fall and it was super fun for being a casual hybrid.

All city bikes tend to be a touch overpriced, but all of them are great, so whatever.  SRAM n shimano is personal preference, so unless you care already, it doesn't matter.

All city is way cooler, functional, and durable.  I'd get that if you're cool with the price.

New Sirrus looks a little dorkier than it used to, too.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2021 on: February 22, 2021, 10:07:21 PM »
As far as ride quality goes, that’s gonna come down to tire size/geometry more than frame material - there’s some research out there that I’m too lazy to find that shows that the tires make up like 80% of bike compliance followed by seatpost with the frame in last place, but I also have a Surly because “steel is real” and what do I know.

The All City will get you more cool points for sure, but that fork on it is a real anchor. If you get a chance to ride both, see which one is more fun to launch off a curb cut on and go fast around a corner - comfort and control is fine, but bikes are fun and weird like skateboards so go for whichever one puts a smile on your face while riding.

sbmfj

« Reply #2022 on: February 23, 2021, 04:18:02 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Still on the fence, but leaning towards the All City...

Winter out here, so cant really test drive em. Covid shortages have made things a little tricky, as if I wait too long, bike will sell out at the shop, and cant really re-order much these days. Was nice cruising around the inside of the shop thats forsure.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2023 on: February 23, 2021, 05:52:25 AM »
all city has been pretty good about keeping their stuff on Q (the distro ur shop prolly uses) prolly because of lower overhead. you can always ask them to make a layaway until you can get over and test ‘er out, that’s what we do at my shop anyway

specialized tho- forget it. they got caught out bad by the pandemic and a lot of their models are getting bumped to 2022. i haven’t seen a new specialized shipment come in for like MONTHS

sbmfj

« Reply #2024 on: February 23, 2021, 10:19:26 AM »
Exactly CKY. I just figured that out!!

Was gonna head over to the specialized dealer at lunch today, and called ahead of time to see if they had the Sirrus on hand. Nope! Was supposed to be delivered in fall 2020 - hasnt received anything, hoping for maybe April, perhaps longer. He basically said theres no inventory anywhere, if you see something and like it, grab it!.

So ill opt for the All City.

Thanks for the recommendations and comments. Ill post it up here once I get it all set up with my fenders and whatnot.

Take care!

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2025 on: February 23, 2021, 11:55:13 AM »
i wasn't trying to make you spend an extra g but that is just the much cooler bike. it's resale value should be a lot better if it ever comes to that. also one thing that will make a surprising amount of difference in my opinion is the all city looks to be thru axle on the wheels vs QR skewers. i rode thru axle and QR versions of the bike i have now and i love how the thru axles feel. it makes the whole bike feel like a single entity rather than a frame attached to some wheels. i dunno, it's hard to explain, but i'm into it.

sbmfj

« Reply #2026 on: February 23, 2021, 06:38:58 PM »
Pulled the trigger!

Gonna swing by on Sat and sort it out. Just ordered fenders and a new saddle on Ebay.

Gotta find a rear rack and some pedals tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help!

J

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2027 on: February 24, 2021, 04:14:28 PM »
Pulled the trigger!

Gonna swing by on Sat and sort it out. Just ordered fenders and a new saddle on Ebay.

Gotta find a rear rack and some pedals tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help!

J

It's obviously late to the game but I just finished my Super Pro build and I love the thing.  I set mine up 1x11.  Got just the frameset through work and built it all out.  It's a pretty sweet bike, you'll be stoked.

sbmfj

« Reply #2028 on: February 24, 2021, 04:22:47 PM »
Glad to hear! Id like to build up a bike one day, gotta learn how to fine tune a derailleur first though...Ive you tubed and tried, cant do it. Need to learn if first hand off of someone.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2029 on: February 24, 2021, 05:22:26 PM »
derailleurs are easy, there's really only two things you need to consider on a bike that is relatively new and not fucked up:

two limit screws: these should be set up by the person who builds your bike and it is unlikely that you'll need to fuck with them unless you change hubs/wheels or the type of cassette (cogs) you're using. each one changes how far inboard and outboard the derailleur can move, they should be set so that the cogs of the derailleur, when the derailleur is pushed or pulled to its maximum extent, line up with the the smallest or largest cog (sometimes a tiny bit extra is good, like 0.5 - 1mm).

cable tension: first the cable is gonna stretch on a new bike so expect the shifting to get a funky after riding for a few days (if the person who set it up is good they'll have stretched it out pretty well during the build though). if the chain/rear derailleur is having trouble going to a bigger gear (literally, a larger cog), then cable tension needs to be increased. to do this, LOOSEN (1/4 or 1/2 turn at a time) one of the barrel adjusters on your bike -- they're usually where the cable exits the shifter, or where the cable enters the derailleur. so make small adjustments and shift through your gears until it neither hesitates going up or down. if the chain/derailleur hesitates or has trouble going to a smaller cog, you have too much tension, TIGHTEN the barrel adjuster of your choice.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2030 on: February 24, 2021, 05:41:21 PM »

I put this on ebay last may and forgot about it.  It just sold for $15.  So, I've got that going.  You know, after I find where the hell I put it.

sbmfj

« Reply #2031 on: February 25, 2021, 06:28:42 AM »
i always hated those things and would try to rip em outta my bikes when I was a kid - Thats the plastic thinkg behind the cassette right?

Ungzilla - Bang on, read the same thing many times, just cant do it. Had the tension issue last year (had a new bike) and I played with the barrell adjuster on the shifter - no dice. Might have helped a little, but still needed a bit of fine tuning. Years ago I had signed up for a bike coop class and I never went, change of plans at the last minute. So its on my eventual to do list. Thanks for the tips regardless. One day.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2032 on: February 26, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »
i always hated those things and would try to rip em outta my bikes when I was a kid - Thats the plastic thinkg behind the cassette right?

Yeah.  We called them 'dork discs' at the shop.  It was on some bike I was stripping.  Checked ebay before throwing it away, and they do sell.  I guess it just takes many months.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2033 on: February 27, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »

Took the day off yesterday and wanted to go for a ride. I miss being on the bike. For me it's the place I get the most zen. I can ride for hours and think as much or as little as I want.

I was riding fixed for awhile, but flipped it over to single speed because where I live has an unfortunately high number of cyclists being hit by cars, and there's so many more people on e-bikes and scooters coupled with a shitty cycling infrastructure. I figured it would reduce my mental strain somewhat. All that said, I'll probably swap it over to fixed this summer and get some clips on there.

IRO Frame. Size 58-60cm, I can't remember. Think I've had this 10+ years at this point. Held up really well and I couldn't be happier. It's a shame they are not around anymore. I think there's bit of a cult following around them? Had someone come up to be and compliment it this summer when I had stopped to compliment someone about their car. Was kind of a funny awkward three way conversation.

Ritchey Carbon fork

Ritchey Flat Bars. Switched to these a couple years ago from drops. I still love drops but wanted something a bit more upright and casual since this is my daily/city bike.

Everything else is pretty much stock, since I lock this up for hours at a time. In the next year or so I might upgrade the wheelset.

Gatorskin tires because I hate getting flats.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 07:29:49 AM by sometimeperhaps »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2034 on: February 27, 2021, 09:21:32 AM »
damn an IRO. i think i’ve gone thru 3 or 4 back in my messenger days. they predated all the cromo “single speed” bikes the big companies offered by like 5-8 years. sick shit

SourPatch MOY

• Rep: -30
« Reply #2035 on: February 27, 2021, 11:32:16 AM »
A few of my 3 bar cruisers

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2036 on: February 27, 2021, 02:32:32 PM »

Took the day off yesterday and wanted to go for a ride. I miss being on the bike. For me it's the place I get the most zen. I can ride for hours and think as much or as little as I want.

I was riding fixed for awhile, but flipped it over to single speed because where I live has an unfortunately high number of cyclists being hit by cars, and there's so many more people on e-bikes and scooters coupled with a shitty cycling infrastructure. I figured it would reduce my mental strain somewhat. All that said, I'll probably swap it over to fixed this summer and get some clips on there.

IRO Frame. Size 58-60cm, I can't remember. Think I've had this 10+ years at this point. Held up really well and I couldn't be happier. It's a shame they are not around anymore. I think there's bit of a cult following around them? Had someone come up to be and compliment it this summer when I had stopped to compliment someone about their car. Was kind of a funny awkward three way conversation.

Ritchey Carbon fork

Ritchey Flat Bars. Switched to these a couple years ago from drops. I still love drops but wanted something a bit more upright and casual since this is my daily/city bike.

Everything else is pretty much stock, since I lock this up for hours at a time. In the next year or so I might upgrade the wheelset.

Gatorskin tires because I hate getting flats.
yeah wow. Super nostalgic looking at this frame. Nice ride good to see it’s still being enjoyed. I have a mercier (?) unbranded single speed track frame as well that was great. Got it powdercoated and everything. I really want to flip it to SS this spring bc now my daughter will be learning on her bike.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2037 on: February 28, 2021, 04:51:35 PM »

I rode lots during lockdown last year and basically used riding to replace my commute while WFH so it feels like I leave the house and to help separate work and home.
Picked this up recently and really keen to get out on it - its a crazy upgrade on my old steel frame track bike.
Will probably get a flatbar setup for it soon and maybe change the bar tape to plain black - it's pretty loud and hip but I'm stoked on it.   

sbmfj

« Reply #2038 on: February 28, 2021, 05:13:22 PM »
Looks sweet, and fast!

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2039 on: February 28, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »

I rode lots during lockdown last year and basically used riding to replace my commute while WFH so it feels like I leave the house and to help separate work and home.
Picked this up recently and really keen to get out on it - its a crazy upgrade on my old steel frame track bike.
Will probably get a flatbar setup for it soon and maybe change the bar tape to plain black - it's pretty loud and hip but I'm stoked on it.   

Hows that Thiccccslick rear? I never had any luck with those, always felt super slow and wore through them pretty quick.  Gatorskins or Conti Ultras have been my go to for a while now. Thats a sweet bike, compared to any steel frame I bet it weighs nothing.