Author Topic: bikes  (Read 305987 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
Re: bikes
« Reply #2040 on: March 01, 2021, 07:57:09 AM »
For those that were looking for decent looking SPD sneakers, Adidas has released some heat. UK is showing 4 colors, not sure if all 4 will make US or not

https://www.adidas.com/us/the-velosamba-cycling-shoes/FW4459.html

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2041 on: March 01, 2021, 08:32:32 AM »

I rode lots during lockdown last year and basically used riding to replace my commute while WFH so it feels like I leave the house and to help separate work and home.
Picked this up recently and really keen to get out on it - its a crazy upgrade on my old steel frame track bike.
Will probably get a flatbar setup for it soon and maybe change the bar tape to plain black - it's pretty loud and hip but I'm stoked on it.   
thisis beautiful, I'd leave it how it is, but that is me, and it your bike. Flat or drops, love it.

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2042 on: March 01, 2021, 08:37:15 AM »
For those that were looking for decent looking SPD sneakers, Adidas has released some heat. UK is showing 4 colors, not sure if all 4 will make US or not

Oh shit. Those look good. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for them. I wonder how they compare to a “real” bike shoe?

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2043 on: March 01, 2021, 08:46:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh shit. Those look good. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for them. I wonder how they compare to a “real” bike shoe?

I'm supposed to hear back from my tax guy today, if it looks like a refund is coming my way I'm going to order them.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2044 on: March 01, 2021, 02:40:03 PM »
only the black are hitting the US.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2045 on: March 01, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »
^^^
I wonder if they'll be wider than Adidas usually are. I always wanna wear Adidas but they squeeze my toes every time. please report back if you get them.

Went out on the steamroller for my first ride in 2 months after the ankle injury. Nothing crazy, just 15 or so miles of rolling hills and a couple longer, steady climbs, short time on 101 to avoid gravel up hill. Sky was blue. Ocean ripping. saw a big, big hawk. mmm feels goooooood.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2046 on: March 01, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »

Don’t come here with that negativity I want those yellow/lime whatever’s. Or at least the creams.

Bubble popped I guess I’ll just get the black.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2047 on: March 01, 2021, 03:20:35 PM »
Curious how these will perform as well. In the copy, they state that they have a full length shank or plate to mimic a super-hard sole on a traditional bike shoe, so hopefully that works in the same way.

Also curious if the cleat sticks out beyond the sole when installed. It would suck to get these and have a cleat clicky-clacking or causing slippage on linoleum. Would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the shoe. But these are clean and hopefully they perform as nice as they look

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2048 on: March 01, 2021, 05:21:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don’t come here with that negativity I want those yellow/lime whatever’s. Or at least the creams.

Bubble popped I guess I’ll just get the black.

i can only report what the industry rags i read while doing 0 wrk at my bike shop job are telling me mane

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #2049 on: March 14, 2021, 06:43:06 AM »

Does this look correct? I can’t tell. I changed a flat on the rear wheel and when I put the wheel back on I couldn’t back pedal.

Assumed the derailleur did not have enough tension because the cord was not taught.

I tightened as best I could but still kept dropping a chain when back pedaling.

This is my wife’s bike and she claims she does not shift anyway. Normally I would have my bike shop do the work but he’s got like 30 bikes ahead of me and he’s a one man operation so it could be like 2-3 weeks—he doesn’t know.

Any suggestions on how to fix? Alternatively, I have a chain breaker so I could bypass the derailleur and just shorten the chain and turn the bike into a single speed, but getting the chain perfectly tight for a single speed seems like a crap shoot.

Thoughts? Thanks

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #2050 on: March 14, 2021, 07:41:47 AM »
it is not correct, it looks like you need to loosen the bolt that attaches derailleur to frame and rotate the derailleur clockwise away from the frame. usually there is a little nub on the deraileur that fits in next to the frame and provides resistance for the derailleur bolt spring to push on. either you didn't notice it or you lost part of the derailleur or something.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2051 on: March 14, 2021, 10:17:44 AM »
it is not correct, it looks like you need to loosen the bolt that attaches derailleur to frame and rotate the derailleur clockwise away from the frame. usually there is a little nub on the deraileur that fits in next to the frame and provides resistance for the derailleur bolt spring to push on. either you didn't notice it or you lost part of the derailleur or something.

Thanks. I couldn’t figure out anything that could be missing and I watched a few online videos but nothing specific to the model I was working on so I decided to just the bike into a one speed cause I have done this before and have the equipment.

Wish me luck...

Edit: I just learned that the tool needed to remove a 7 speed cassette is different than the tool I’ve used on my mountain bikes. Bought a 5.2 and it didn’t work. I guess I need a 1.3. Oh well, it was really too cold and windy to enjoy cycling this weekend. At least I’m learning though...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 01:15:46 PM by GardenSkater77 »

ugh_whut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2052 on: March 14, 2021, 08:46:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks. I couldn’t figure out anything that could be missing and I watched a few online videos but nothing specific to the model I was working on so I decided to just the bike into a one speed cause I have done this before and have the equipment.

Wish me luck...

Edit: I just learned that the tool needed to remove a 7 speed cassette is different than the tool I’ve used on my mountain bikes. Bought a 5.2 and it didn’t work. I guess I need a 1.3. Oh well, it was really too cold and windy to enjoy cycling this weekend. At least I’m learning though...

Take the derailleur off and post a pic of the backside, where it bolts to the frame. Yeah, gonna need to get a freewheel tool
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #2053 on: March 15, 2021, 04:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm supposed to hear back from my tax guy today, if it looks like a refund is coming my way I'm going to order them.

I always used to ride in Samba Millenniums which had a Torsion bar that kept them rigid in the middle. They were wonderful and I had two pairs saved up but last spring I was riding with a fresh NOS pair and the sole fell off somewhere mid ride.

Why don’t you just stock up when you find your perfect shoe? They fall the fuck apart after 10 years.

Still trying to decide if I use the last pair or list for some stupid amount of money on eBay.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2054 on: March 16, 2021, 09:50:29 AM »
Got my bike!
Pretty stoked!
Handlesbars are hella wide, whats the best way to cut em? Angle grinder with cutting wheel or would a copper plumbers knife work? (the ones you tunr around the pipe)

I accidently tipped it over last night and scratched the top tube - so bummed but what can you do.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2560
« Reply #2055 on: March 16, 2021, 10:07:58 AM »
Nice! Glad to finally see fenders in this thread, haha.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2056 on: March 16, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
Sick. I like that color.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2057 on: March 16, 2021, 11:05:22 AM »
Got my bike!
Pretty stoked!
Handlesbars are hella wide, whats the best way to cut em? Angle grinder with cutting wheel or would a copper plumbers knife work? (the ones you tunr around the pipe)

I accidently tipped it over last night and scratched the top tube - so bummed but what can you do.

how wide?

666mm? That's the magic width.

sbmfj

« Reply #2058 on: March 16, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »
Nice! Glad to finally see fenders in this thread, haha.

I have finally matured enough to add fenders to my bike. World of a difference.

Wouldnt have been caught dead with them 10+ years ago...

Times have changed. Ditto for the rack!

sbmfj

« Reply #2059 on: March 16, 2021, 11:19:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Got my bike!
Pretty stoked!

[close]

how wide?

32 inches / 81 cm.

Tool suggestion for the cut?

666mm? That's the magic width.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2060 on: March 16, 2021, 11:26:56 AM »
park tool etc make jigs for cutting tubes. that's the best way but you could also just hacksaw it and then use a wooden block with the same diameter as handlebar hole drilled into it to use as a pseudo jig  to sand the cut down and make the ends squared off. some one trickier can probably think of a better diy method. the pipe cutter ain't a bad idea but i've never used one on aluminum.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2061 on: March 16, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »
Perfectly flush handlebars is less of an issue than say a steer tube. A hacksaw should do the trick and just toss some bar ends on there

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2062 on: March 18, 2021, 08:46:57 PM »

Does this look correct? I can’t tell. I changed a flat on the rear wheel and when I put the wheel back on I couldn’t back pedal.

Assumed the derailleur did not have enough tension because the cord was not taught.

This is my wife’s bike and she claims she does not shift anyway. Normally I would have my bike shop do the work but he’s got like 30 bikes ahead of me and he’s a one man operation so it could be like 2-3 weeks—he doesn’t know.

Any suggestions on how to fix? Alternatively, I have a chain breaker so I could bypass the derailleur and just shorten the chain and turn the bike into a single speed, but getting the chain perfectly tight for a single speed seems like a crap shoot.

Thoughts? Thanks

So, I took the hub off but I cannot figure out how to separate the hub from the cassette.

The hub is male threaded. I have a chain breaker but I don’t see the cogs budging. When I took a mountain bike cassette off the cogs slid right out. I wonder if it would be easier to just buy a 7 speed hub, but if I can save $20 and not have to wait I would rather take the hub apart. I have a single speed kit ready to go minus a chain tightener which if I cut the chain right I may not need.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2063 on: March 18, 2021, 10:53:20 PM »

Saw these on foot in action, if I were a clip in kinda guy these would have me sold

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2064 on: March 19, 2021, 04:17:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Saw these on foot in action, if I were a clip in kinda guy these would have me sold

I slept on them when I posted the adidas link in here, when I finally made up my mind they sold out in my size. Now I check the site daily for the restock. Half tempted to pay $180 and get them from StockX

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2065 on: March 19, 2021, 04:59:30 AM »
gardensk9r

there are two types of rear gear assemblies, cassettes and freewheels. it looks like you have a freewheel, which is older technology and usually on more inexpensive bikes (less than 8 speeds generally are freewheels). there shouldn't be a lockring on the outer side, the entire gear assembly screws onto the hub. because pedaling tightens it, they can be stuck on there real good. you likely need a park tool fr 1.3 and a big wrench to remove this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:06:40 AM by ungzilla »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2066 on: March 19, 2021, 05:55:40 AM »
Expand Quote

Thoughts? Thanks
[close]

So, I took the hub off but I cannot figure out how to separate the hub from the cassette.

The hub is male threaded. I have a chain breaker but I don’t see the cogs budging. When I took a mountain bike cassette off the cogs slid right out. I wonder if it would be easier to just buy a 7 speed hub, but if I can save $20 and not have to wait I would rather take the hub apart. I have a single speed kit ready to go minus a chain tightener which if I cut the chain right I may not need.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

freewheel remover bruddah, that jawn is goin nowhere without one

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2067 on: March 19, 2021, 09:33:14 AM »
Thanks guys. My local bike shop guy took the the assembly off cause he didn’t have one to sell me, but I think I didn’t state clearly enough what I was doing cause he removed the hub and cog assembly.

If I want to keep the hub how do I know if the hub (which is a screw on) has cogs permanently attached?

Is the only way to find out with a chain whip and cassette tool 1.3? BTW: This is a 7 speed comfort bike. Here are pics:

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2068 on: March 19, 2021, 03:27:54 PM »
freewheel remover tool- that’s not a cassette. it’s gonna be threaded on the inside of the cogs as well as on the drive side of the hub.

why are you removing it? it’s gonna be an MF to make single speed w spacers etc

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2069 on: March 19, 2021, 03:53:38 PM »
you're getting some terms mixed up. the hub is the center of the wheel. the spokes attach to it. it may have a freehub body that a cassette slides onto (in this case the ratcheting mechanism is in the hub), or it may, like the bike you have pictured here, have a freewheel, which is a single piece that contains all the rear gears and the ratcheting mechanism.

cassettes are held in place by a lock ring that screws onto the outboard side of the freehub body, the piece of the hub that the cassette slides onto (like the stock photo you posted -- which to make things extra confusing looks like lockring photoshopped into place over a freewheel -- but that piece in the center is what you'll see on a cassette). freewheels are all a single piece and will lack a lockring. generally 7 speed or less will usually be freewheels and 8 speeds or more will usually be casettes. exceptions apply.

you only need a chain whip to remove a cassette.