Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304725 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: bikes
« Reply #2070 on: March 19, 2021, 04:01:59 PM »
freewheel remover tool- that’s not a cassette. it’s gonna be threaded on the inside of the cogs as well as on the drive side of the hub.

why are you removing it? it’s gonna be an MF to make single speed w spacers etc

Well, long story short, the derailleur was not functioning properly and the back pedal was dropping the chain. I tried to tension the cable and it pulled out. It was so damaged it would not go back in.

About 10 years ago I did a single speed conversion on a mountain bike and it came out great. It’s my wife’s bike and she does not like shifting gears so I thought perfect, but I did not realize that the gears were on a freewheel and all my stuff is for a cassette.

At this point I think I will just get a new wheel with a freewheel built in and build off of that. Let me know if you think this combo will work:

And I’ll just keep the current wheel just in case...thoughts?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2071 on: March 19, 2021, 04:05:52 PM »
you're getting some terms mixed up. the hub is the center of the wheel. the spokes attach to it. it may have a freehub body that a cassette slides onto (in this case the ratcheting mechanism is in the hub), or it may, like the bike you have pictured here, have a freewheel, which is a single piece that contains all the rear gears and the ratcheting mechanism.

cassettes are held in place by a lock ring that screws onto the outboard side of the freehub body, the piece of the hub that the cassette slides onto (like the stock photo you posted -- which to make things extra confusing looks like lockring photoshopped into place over a freewheel -- but that piece in the center is what you'll see on a cassette). freewheels are all a single piece and will lack a lockring. generally 7 speed or less will usually be freewheels and 8 speeds or more will usually be casettes. exceptions apply.

you only need a chain whip to remove a cassette.

Got it. Thanks. I now know the terms. I have a chain whip but I’ve been to 3 local shops and none have a 1.3 cassette tool. I guess I have to order off Jenson or Nashbar.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2072 on: March 19, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »
I bought a junker Surly Steamroller off of a homeless guy on offerup a while back. I paid $400 for a complete bike, but it ended up being way too big and had a dent in the frame I didn’t notice.  I was so bummed on myself. Ended up stripping it down to the frame, cleaned years of muck off. Tightened up the hubs, converted it to fixed, and replaced everything but the crankset and seat post with low end Ritchey stuff and a new saddle that came stock on my gravel bike that I never used. New surly decals. Everything cost about $100. Ended up selling it for $600 yesterday.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2073 on: March 19, 2021, 06:04:23 PM »
Expand Quote
freewheel remover tool- that’s not a cassette. it’s gonna be threaded on the inside of the cogs as well as on the drive side of the hub.

[close]

Well, long story short, the derailleur was not functioning properly and the back pedal was dropping the chain. I tried to tension the cable and it pulled out. It was so damaged it would not go back in.

About 10 years ago I did a single speed conversion on a mountain bike and it came out great. It’s my wife’s bike and she does not like shifting gears so I thought perfect, but I did not realize that the gears were on a freewheel and all my stuff is for a cassette.

At this point I think I will just get a new wheel with a freewheel built in and build off of that. Let me know if you think this combo will work:

it'll work, but because her frame has vertical drop outs (where the wheel attaches to the frame), you'll need some kind of device to tension the chain. an old derailleur can work if you can fuck around with the limit screws, or you can get something purpose built like a surly singleator. or you might just get lucky and have the frame size correspond exactly to a certain length of chain, though that almost never happens.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2074 on: March 19, 2021, 07:05:22 PM »
^^^thanks bro

Appreciate the advice. I must have got lucky on my last project cause this is a lot harder than I remember.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2075 on: March 22, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »
I bought a junker Surly Steamroller off of a homeless guy on offerup a while back. I paid $400 for a complete bike, but it ended up being way too big and had a dent in the frame I didn’t notice.  I was so bummed on myself. Ended up stripping it down to the frame, cleaned years of muck off. Tightened up the hubs, converted it to fixed, and replaced everything but the crankset and seat post with low end Ritchey stuff and a new saddle that came stock on my gravel bike that I never used. New surly decals. Everything cost about $100. Ended up selling it for $600 yesterday.

This is a feel good story. 

Now go ride your gravel bike.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2076 on: March 22, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha, I guess I worded that sentence about the saddle funny. I never used the saddle. I immediately replaced it with a brooks c17.

You’re right though, I have been neglecting it. I have a Bianchi San Jose fixed gear that I ride way more than my gravel bike.

ugh_whut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #2077 on: March 22, 2021, 09:47:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Ha, I guess I worded that sentence about the saddle funny. I never used the saddle. I immediately replaced it with a brooks c17.

You’re right though, I have been neglecting it. I have a Bianchi San Jose fixed gear that I ride way more than my gravel bike.

I feel you on neglecting a gravel bike over an SSCX ride. Whats old is new again, go figure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2078 on: March 29, 2021, 05:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

it'll work, but because her frame has vertical drop outs (where the wheel attaches to the frame), you'll need some kind of device to tension the chain. an old derailleur can work if you can fuck around with the limit screws, or you can get something purpose built like a surly singleator. or you might just get lucky and have the frame size correspond exactly to a certain length of chain, though that almost never happens.

I got the gear clamps and rear cog and I took off the rear freewheel gears thinking I could use the wheel but the freewheel is too large so I have to buy a new rear wheel with cassette (pictured above).

I noticed I could buy either a 130mm or 135mm. Not sure what this means but I measured the distance from drop to drop and the ID is pretty much 135mm. I measured 5.38” which is 136.6mm when converted so if that is where I should measure I think I need 135mm.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Quality-Wheels-700C-Hybrid-Wheel-Formula-Front-Hub-Alex-Y2000-Rim?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvPbYkNvW7wIVA6SzCh0tHAQhEAQYBCABEgKXqvD_BwE

Any advice is appreciated. I’m a wheel and a tensioner away from getting my wife’s bike on the road.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2079 on: March 29, 2021, 07:09:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I got the gear clamps and rear cog and I took off the rear freewheel gears thinking I could use the wheel but the freewheel is too large so I have to buy a new rear wheel with cassette (pictured above).

I noticed I could buy either a 130mm or 135mm. Not sure what this means but I measured the distance from drop to drop and the ID is pretty much 135mm. I measured 5.38” which is 136.6mm when converted so if that is where I should measure I think I need 135mm.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Quality-Wheels-700C-Hybrid-Wheel-Formula-Front-Hub-Alex-Y2000-Rim?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvPbYkNvW7wIVA6SzCh0tHAQhEAQYBCABEgKXqvD_BwE

Any advice is appreciated. I’m a wheel and a tensioner away from getting my wife’s bike on the road.

135mm is pretty standard for older road and mountain stuff.  The Quality Wheels are just QBP pre-laced budget stuff.  Not bad at all for the price. 

TL:DR. Get the 135mm

ugh_whut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2080 on: March 29, 2021, 08:42:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd recommend using a dedicated SS cog and spacer kit with tensioner, over a repurposed cog from a cassette. The spacer kit will keep the cog in place better than the gear clamps. I have them but found I could get a lateral wiggle, at the cog when under load so I went back to using spacers. The 2.5-3mm hex at best, isn't exactly the sorta thing I had major confidence in once I was riding it. Surly cog, spacer kit and tensioner get my vote.
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2081 on: March 30, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »
Spring is here, took my road bike out there for the first time today and man it feels great to go fast again😎 Been riding my 30years old mtb whole winter, and while my technique is lost I feel like I got alot more power than year before so this summer should be good.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2082 on: March 30, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »
Decided to take my rear brake off and flip my hub to fixed on my Steamroiller today. It has been years since I've ridden fixed. I'm sure my back and knees will regret this decision before May.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2083 on: April 06, 2021, 07:37:00 AM »
Laid off for a couple weeks so I had my first ride of the season. 8 miles out to a spot that sucks to drive to.

Definitely gonna be doing more but how do you guys rack your boards up? Did the bungee on the handlebars yesterday and knicked up my grip. Obviously there’s stuff on Amazon, but with the layoff I wanna make sure I get something legit

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2084 on: April 06, 2021, 10:02:23 AM »
Laid off for a couple weeks so I had my first ride of the season. 8 miles out to a spot that sucks to drive to.

Definitely gonna be doing more but how do you guys rack your boards up? Did the bungee on the handlebars yesterday and knicked up my grip. Obviously there’s stuff on Amazon, but with the layoff I wanna make sure I get something legit

Didn’t want something limited to just skateboard carry so I bought this:

https://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/topeak-mtx-beam-bike-rack-ex-mtx-snap-fit-compatible.html?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=pla&country=US&CID=PPC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIKLjIrq7wIVjuDICh1EBQKREAQYDCABEgJg4fD_BwE

It’s nice cause you take it off easily when not in use and they have bags to fit.

I basically just wrapped bungee cords around the board and the rack and once in place you don’t notice.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #2085 on: April 06, 2021, 02:00:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Didn’t want something limited to just skateboard carry so I bought this:

https://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/topeak-mtx-beam-bike-rack-ex-mtx-snap-fit-compatible.html?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=pla&country=US&CID=PPC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIKLjIrq7wIVjuDICh1EBQKREAQYDCABEgJg4fD_BwE

It’s nice cause you take it off easily when not in use and they have bags to fit.

I basically just wrapped bungee cords around the board and the rack and once in place you don’t notice.

I have a basket on my bike with two bungee chords across it. I slip the wheels on one of my trucks between the two bungee chords and have it hanging off to the left or the right, pretty much flush with the basket and pointing down. The two chords are more towards the back of the basket so there's still plenty of room to put my backpack in the basket.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2086 on: April 06, 2021, 03:41:19 PM »
I just use my Cetma rack on the front.  Rear racks stress me out, I can never see whats going on back there.  Plus I work on my bike so having the front rack is key for me.  I just take the box off it and bungee my deck down with a waterbottle on top usually. 

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2087 on: April 06, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »
https://meserollshop.com/products/fairdale-skate-rack

You'll need a rear rack to attach it to.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #2088 on: April 07, 2021, 05:50:57 AM »
been having a blast here in oslo lately. I'm furloughed so I have tons of time to get a lot of spring rides in, and most of them happen on gravel/mud with a bit of snow/ice in the darkest corners. I can basically get from my door to gravel within 500m, so I don't have to fuck around with thrash-phalt.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2089 on: April 07, 2021, 02:24:15 PM »
been having a blast here in oslo lately. I'm furloughed so I have tons of time to get a lot of spring rides in, and most of them happen on gravel/mud with a bit of snow/ice in the darkest corners. I can basically get from my door to gravel within 500m, so I don't have to fuck around with thrash-phalt.

I don't know what that is, but it looks fun.  Good for you for not wasting your down time.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2090 on: April 07, 2021, 05:06:09 PM »
@ungzilla

That feeling when you realize you don’t have to spend $50.00 on a chain tensioner.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this project.

My next goal is to learn how to set brakes so the hand lever snaps back into position. Disk breaks have to be so much easier.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2091 on: April 08, 2021, 04:23:13 AM »
I picked up this 2019 Trek checkpoint aluminum a little while ago. Sram apex, with sram force shifters. It came with flat pedals, fenders and a funny top tube bag. I guess the guy planned to bike pack but didn't actually want to ride the bike.
I installed some old spd pedals, a few sensors and got a handlebar bag from rapha.  I have taken it out 2x on light days on some local gravel trails. It's a tank, heavy but feels indestructible.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2092 on: April 08, 2021, 05:39:59 AM »
everybody wanna bike pack but no one wanna ride the bike...

that thing is sick. i generally hate new trek’s but i always like when a checkpoint comes through the shop. it’s real sporty for a gravel bike.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2093 on: April 08, 2021, 06:36:44 AM »
I agree, TREK is a boring company with bland products, but they make quality stuff. I got my mine used off pinkbike, but my local trek dealer is run by christian morons.
If you call the store to ask them about a product, they will just refer you to the website. The other shop that sells, sepcalized, cannondale and cervelo will talk to you, answer your questions without attitude and promote cycling.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2094 on: April 08, 2021, 07:33:27 AM »
I just use my Cetma rack on the front.  Rear racks stress me out, I can never see whats going on back there.  Plus I work on my bike so having the front rack is key for me.  I just take the box off it and bungee my deck down with a waterbottle on top usually. 
3 rail? 5 rail? I’d like a front rack

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2095 on: April 08, 2021, 07:34:44 AM »
Decided to take my rear brake off and flip my hub to fixed on my Steamroiller today. It has been years since I've ridden fixed. I'm sure my back and knees will regret this decision before May.
was considering this as well as my daughter started riding her bike (she’s 3...) around the neighborhood and usually I just skate. But wouldn’t mind riding more and there’s a nice bike path next to my office. I can see fixed bothering my knees now too.. you going to switch back?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2096 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
was considering this as well as my daughter started riding her bike (she’s 3...) around the neighborhood and usually I just skate. But wouldn’t mind riding more and there’s a nice bike path next to my office. I can see fixed bothering my knees now too.. you going to switch back?

It has been  more fun than I thought. I used to ride brakeless fixed to work through rush hour traffic when I was an angry younger man. That played hell on my back and knees with all skipping and skidding. These days my commute is super mellow and I take several mellow rides across town each day for work errands and I have no shame in using the front brake for additional stopping power these days at all. I am also using lower gearing. Riding fixed makes these boring little rides more engaging for sure and it is good for 'mindfulness' practice. Also, track stands are way more fun at lights.

All that said, I will likely put the rear brake back on at some point and flip the hub as I have this glorious White Industries Freewheel on there that is basically the fanciest component on my fifteen year old bike and there is nothing like listening to that thing ticking as I'm coasting. Ultimately, I ride a lot faster and feel way more comfortable with a freewheel and rim brakes.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2097 on: April 08, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »

That thing looks like fun. I used to follow some Scandinavian cyclers on IG. The gravel roads and stuff they were riding look super fun.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2098 on: April 08, 2021, 10:52:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It has been  more fun than I thought. I used to ride brakeless fixed to work through rush hour traffic when I was an angry younger man. That played hell on my back and knees with all skipping and skidding. These days my commute is super mellow and I take several mellow rides across town each day for work errands and I have no shame in using the front brake for additional stopping power these days at all. I am also using lower gearing. Riding fixed makes these boring little rides more engaging for sure and it is good for 'mindfulness' practice. Also, track stands are way more fun at lights.

All that said, I will likely put the rear brake back on at some point and flip the hub as I have this glorious White Industries Freewheel on there that is basically the fanciest component on my fifteen year old bike and there is nothing like listening to that thing ticking as I'm coasting. Ultimately, I ride a lot faster and feel way more comfortable with a freewheel and rim brakes.
Thanks for that. I can relate. The brakeless life is behind me as well. I have never set up my bike SS but part of me hesitates to throw a F and R brake on even though I know that's the right thing to do with SS, rather than just a front brake. Are there not many hills by you? Lower gearing sounds good, i need to double check mine... i think its 48t/17t. Truvativ Omnium crankset.  Might just get it back on the road as is to try it again with a F brake

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2099 on: April 08, 2021, 11:50:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Thanks for that. I can relate. The brakeless life is behind me as well. I have never set up my bike SS but part of me hesitates to throw a F and R brake on even though I know that's the right thing to do with SS, rather than just a front brake. Are there not many hills by you? Lower gearing sounds good, i need to double check mine... i think its 48t/17t. Truvativ Omnium crankset.  Might just get it back on the road as is to try it again with a F brake

when I got back into riding last year, I thought about throwing a F brake on the steamroller but never got around to it and unless I move into a busy, heavily trafficked city, probably won't be doing it. I was concerned for me knees/back as well but it's turned out to be fine. I just have to pay greater attention to what I'm doing and have gotten pretty good at slowing down/stopping ahead of time rather than skidding. Personally, I think overly high gearing takes more of a toll on the knees/back than riding brakeless, but I don't have any data :o With some understanding of foot/ankle/under knee structure I also think the way the foot is used in/on the pedal can have a fair amount to do with knee/hip/back pain. I've got some oddessey BMX pedals and hold fast straps and am paying a lot of attention to keeping weight distributed evenly throughout the foot as well as how my hips are moving. it feels pretty good
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind