Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304740 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: bikes
« Reply #2100 on: April 08, 2021, 02:15:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Decided to take my rear brake off and flip my hub to fixed on my Steamroiller today. It has been years since I've ridden fixed. I'm sure my back and knees will regret this decision before May.
[close]
was considering this as well as my daughter started riding her bike (she’s 3...) around the neighborhood and usually I just skate. But wouldn’t mind riding more and there’s a nice bike path next to my office. I can see fixed bothering my knees now too.. you going to switch back?
[close]

It has been  more fun than I thought. I used to ride brakeless fixed to work through rush hour traffic when I was an angry younger man. That played hell on my back and knees with all skipping and skidding. These days my commute is super mellow and I take several mellow rides across town each day for work errands and I have no shame in using the front brake for additional stopping power these days at all. I am also using lower gearing. Riding fixed makes these boring little rides more engaging for sure and it is good for 'mindfulness' practice. Also, track stands are way more fun at lights.

All that said, I will likely put the rear brake back on at some point and flip the hub as I have this glorious White Industries Freewheel on there that is basically the fanciest component on my fifteen year old bike and there is nothing like listening to that thing ticking as I'm coasting. Ultimately, I ride a lot faster and feel way more comfortable with a freewheel and rim brakes.
[close]
Thanks for that. I can relate. The brakeless life is behind me as well. I have never set up my bike SS but part of me hesitates to throw a F and R brake on even though I know that's the right thing to do with SS, rather than just a front brake. Are there not many hills by you? Lower gearing sounds good, i need to double check mine... i think its 48t/17t. Truvativ Omnium crankset.  Might just get it back on the road as is to try it again with a F brake

There are some decent hills near me but I can avoid them on my commute. On my recreational rides though I def seek them out. I was riding 48 17 originally . These days I ride 46 17 fixed and 46 18 Freewheel. I'd recommend both brakes if you are freewheeling it but to each their own.

Iusedtoskatemore, agreed. lower gearing is better on the body. I think in general being too spinny is better than being too mashy... depending on strength, fitness and experience of course. At my age (45) cycling is there to assist my fitness and strength not add to the things I do to take risks and hurt myself.... that's what skateboarding is for.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2101 on: April 09, 2021, 09:35:32 AM »
So, just found out my employer has a 20% benefit perk with a local bike shop. I've been looking to get a new road bike to replace my 11 year old steed.

The biggest/best name for road bikes the shop carries is Bianchi. I've been thinking of the Oltre XR3 or the Aria - both Ultegra mechanical for the sake of price and that I don't think I need Di2.

Has anyone had experience with either of these two? Would love to hear your feedback on em. I'm in no rush to get one. But knowing I have that company perk, it makes the idea of a new bike day that much more exciting.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2102 on: April 09, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
i think the second best groupset is often the way to go if you've got the money to spend, it's like 94% of what you get with the top end and typically costs half as much. i can't speak to your specific options though.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2103 on: April 09, 2021, 10:28:40 AM »
i think the second best groupset is often the way to go if you've got the money to spend, it's like 94% of what you get with the top end and typically costs half as much. i can't speak to your specific options though.

Totally. I'm on Dura Ace 7900 right now. And while for that generation, there was a noticeable performance difference between that and the Ultegra 6700 (which is on my other bike). But from research, it seems like modern 105, Ultegra, and DA perform almost similar with the biggest mitigating factor (for mechanical) is weight. And since I'm not racing, nor am I a weight weenie, I think Ultegra is the way to go.

Also, does anyone know if Shimano 12-speed is set to release this year? If so, I might wait for that to make it's way into the market before getting a new bike.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2104 on: April 09, 2021, 11:03:07 AM »
I live in the PNW and I want to get into mountain biking but I am so clueless I don't know where to start.  Like what type of bike, how much $ it costs to go on trails (i don't even have a car). I am 6'4, light weight and long legged, I have been instructed to buy a hardtail steel frame... Is there like  Thrasher mag equivalent or something I could read to get started?

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2105 on: April 09, 2021, 11:43:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally. I'm on Dura Ace 7900 right now. And while for that generation, there was a noticeable performance difference between that and the Ultegra 6700 (which is on my other bike). But from research, it seems like modern 105, Ultegra, and DA perform almost similar with the biggest mitigating factor (for mechanical) is weight. And since I'm not racing, nor am I a weight weenie, I think Ultegra is the way to go.

Also, does anyone know if Shimano 12-speed is set to release this year? If so, I might wait for that to make it's way into the market before getting a new bike.

Fully agree on Ultegra vs Dura Ace vs 105, the difference is shift quality is pretty much imperceptible, and the weight differences are pretty minor too when you look at bike + rider system weight. But, this being a skate forum, we can all agree that clout points count.

For 12-speed next gen Shimano, the general consensus is a release some time in 2021, at least for electronic shifting. Maybe an announcement around TdF? No idea what rollout is going to look like after that, bike industry is still seeing huge delays in shipping complete bikes and groupsets. Also not sure whether mechanical groupsets will be immediately available or if 105 will go 12 speed right away.

On a slightly related note, Sram is allegedly releasing 12 speed etap Rival at some point late 2021 early 2022. Should make electronic shifting more accessible and may push Shimano towards 105 di2. I’ll be sticking with mechanical as I like to do my own work on my bikes and I fuck up everything electronic that I touch, but I do love the aesthetics of wireless shifting.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2106 on: April 10, 2021, 08:46:08 AM »
I live in the PNW and I want to get into mountain biking but I am so clueless I don't know where to start.  Like what type of bike, how much $ it costs to go on trails (i don't even have a car). I am 6'4, light weight and long legged, I have been instructed to buy a hardtail steel frame... Is there like  Thrasher mag equivalent or something I could read to get started?

Used to be a rad mag called Dirt but they might have gone under. They have a web presence but I do't know if its as good as the print rag was. https://dirtmountainbike.com Seems like people are pretty stoked on 90s hard tail steel bikes these days. You can find those pretty easy and cheap on Craigslist. Beat the shit out of one while you figure it all out. You'll be full suspension and dropper posts in no time. ps. I haven't really dabbled in proper mountain biking. I like taking beefed up heavy road bikes off road- that's my jam

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2107 on: April 10, 2021, 11:15:29 AM »
mtb is sick, it’s like skating in the woods

i ride a full rigid 29er and mostly do xc stuff (philly has a lot of trails)

lends itself well to skating and vice versa

i read a lot of pinkbike at the shop but that’s about it, mtb is unfortunately all street league style stuff coverage wise as far as i can tell.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2108 on: April 10, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »

i read a lot of pinkbike at the shop but that’s about it, mtb is unfortunately all street league style stuff coverage wise as far as i can tell.

hey you're in philly ya? This kid Korey W I used to hang/skate with in NC in 07 or so had moved around the country doing messenger work from what I remember and ended up in Philly doing the messenger thing. He got hit by a car and lost all his teeth at one point. He might still have dreads. I don't know I haven't talked to him in at least 10 years but he was good shit. I don't know if you ever met him. peace
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #2109 on: April 10, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »
So on the topic of bikes, what type of locks do you all have/prefer?

I had an Abus chain one but it fell out of my bike basket one day so I had to order another one. Just got a Kryptonite Keeper but am debating on returning it for something else. It's a U-Lock and I'm finding it to be a pain. I'm finding it to be a pain since there's not too many things the lock actually fits around. Also, the lock on the kryptonite one is super annoying. Key's really jiggly and you have to open/close it instead off a pop in/out lock.

I've got an all around bike atm. Vintage Rossin frame and I put some all-terrain type wheels on it, a basket mount/basket, nice seat, cork handlebars, etc... Been thinking of getting a city speed bike from Decathlon but living in Berlin, a fair majority of the streets are cobblestone so I feel like as much as I'd like a nicer bike, it's not so practical here.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2110 on: April 10, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Used to be a rad mag called Dirt but they might have gone under. They have a web presence but I do't know if its as good as the print rag was. https://dirtmountainbike.com Seems like people are pretty stoked on 90s hard tail steel bikes these days. You can find those pretty easy and cheap on Craigslist. Beat the shit out of one while you figure it all out. You'll be full suspension and dropper posts in no time. ps. I haven't really dabbled in proper mountain biking. I like taking beefed up heavy road bikes off road- that's my jam

Thank you!!!!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2111 on: April 10, 2021, 06:03:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hey you're in philly ya? This kid Korey W I used to hang/skate with in NC in 07 or so had moved around the country doing messenger work from what I remember and ended up in Philly doing the messenger thing. He got hit by a car and lost all his teeth at one point. He might still have dreads. I don't know I haven't talked to him in at least 10 years but he was good shit. I don't know if you ever met him. peace

we were couriers at the same time in 08-10 before he moved to hawaii and back, he moved away again and got into mopeds last i heard. he cut his dreads

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2112 on: April 10, 2021, 06:03:53 PM »
i bought a lemond track frame from him for 250 once

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2113 on: April 10, 2021, 07:44:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

we were couriers at the same time in 08-10 before he moved to hawaii and back, he moved away again and got into mopeds last i heard. he cut his dreads

Ha ha ha hell ya. Me and that dude used to get down!. Absolute menace!!! Small world fosho!
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #2114 on: April 11, 2021, 02:50:08 AM »
So on the topic of bikes, what type of locks do you all have/prefer?
I have a couple of Kryptonite Evo 7s Us and a folder. I don't use chains as they provide so much mechanical leverage that a monkey with a seatpost can open pretty much any chain based lock. I'd rather deal with the hassle of a U than risk losing my 90s MTB (which is the only one I'll lock outside overnight).

In other words, had my first 100km ride yesterday. Went surprisingly well and we managed to do probably half of it on gravel.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2115 on: April 11, 2021, 04:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ha ha ha hell ya. Me and that dude used to get down!. Absolute menace!!! Small world fosho!

good dude. hadn’t crossed my mind in eons. he was a wild thing for sure.

ugh_whut

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2116 on: April 11, 2021, 04:56:20 PM »
So, just found out my employer has a 20% benefit perk with a local bike shop. I've been looking to get a new road bike to replace my 11 year old steed.

The biggest/best name for road bikes the shop carries is Bianchi. I've been thinking of the Oltre XR3 or the Aria - both Ultegra mechanical for the sake of price and that I don't think I need Di2.

Has anyone had experience with either of these two? Would love to hear your feedback on em. I'm in no rush to get one. But knowing I have that company perk, it makes the idea of a new bike day that much more exciting.

I'd definitely recommend Di2 at this point, unless you're looking to upgrade in the future, where the majority of manufacturers will be pushing the industry, at least in the road segment. Shimano is #1 IMO but I'd be lying if I said I didn't remove multiple broken shift cables a week at work so theres one argument againt cables. I'm on Ultegra 8070 and its too good to go back to using cable actuated derailleurs, no trimming the front mech, programmable buttons on the tops of the hoods, fucking sounds cool...
If Supreme is cutting me a fat check than film my shit with a potato I could careless . Dolla dolla bills y’all

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2117 on: April 11, 2021, 11:37:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd definitely recommend Di2 at this point, unless you're looking to upgrade in the future, where the majority of manufacturers will be pushing the industry, at least in the road segment. Shimano is #1 IMO but I'd be lying if I said I didn't remove multiple broken shift cables a week at work so theres one argument againt cables. I'm on Ultegra 8070 and its too good to go back to using cable actuated derailleurs, no trimming the front mech, programmable buttons on the tops of the hoods, fucking sounds cool...

I totally get what you’re saying. With road tech pushing both electronic shifting as well as wireless I figured I’m going to have to invest in Di2 sooner rather than later. I’m just also trying to be a frugal ass as well — also it’s going to be a bitch explaining to my wife why I need to drop an extra $1k on a group 😂

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #2118 on: April 12, 2021, 04:31:52 AM »
I believe I heard my local shop say that both Shimano and SRAM are coming out with their next generation electronic shifters this year (most likely late summer/fall release), and this will put a lot of DI2s on the 2nd hand market. Probably worth the wait.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2119 on: April 12, 2021, 05:51:25 AM »
i have been riding bicycles both for a job as well as to commute, race, shred etc for 15 or so years and at no point did i think it was worth dropping a G for cables you have to charge

just my two cents

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2120 on: April 12, 2021, 06:31:14 AM »
i will go to my grave never having owned an electronic groupset

if that makes me a boomer so be it

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2121 on: April 12, 2021, 06:44:37 AM »

A hardtail steel frame is trendy but I wouldn't get stuck on that. An alloy frame with a modern geometry won't win you any cool guy points but it will be a better performer in most cases. I'd look for a used bike on pinkbike and FB marketplace. As for features I'd want a 1x drivetrain and a dropper post.

Mountain bike prices are crazy right now, though. If you give a budget I can try to point you in the right direction.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2122 on: April 12, 2021, 06:51:30 AM »
Also if you want to peep some cool MTB edits check out 50to01 and their riders.

https://youtu.be/vOms2ABQOlw

The music can be a bit euro for my tastes but they are rippers

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2123 on: April 12, 2021, 07:18:54 AM »
I upgraded to SRAM force etap 12 speed,  after 5 years of 105 mechanical. I felt a little silly at first, but I say fuck it. If you can afford it and you actually are riding your bike (I do 150 km per week, used to do more but I had a kid) do whatever you like. It shifts perfect ever single time, never needs indexing, the charging is simple, fast and easy and it looks so clean having no cables exposed.
I fully understand people not liking electronic shifting, but if you can get your hands on it, its the best.
That said, 105 is hands down bang for your buck the best group set on the market. The difference between 105 and dura ace is like having two bananas in your back pocket. Everything else is the same.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2124 on: April 12, 2021, 07:22:05 AM »
i will go to my grave never having owned an electronic groupset

if that makes me a boomer so be it

Same here. Overall I take issue with the push in every consumer category to “smart” everything, especially when it comes to collecting user data and needing an app/tech support to allow the device to work. I’m becoming more conscious about the things I purchase, and tend to look to the simple less mechanical versions of things. My electric kettle stopped working, so I purchased a stove top one. This kettle will likely outlive me now.

EDIT: I see the post above answered this question
What’s the overall benefit of electronic shifters anyway? Faster shifting I’d assume? I ride, but don’t follow changes in the industry unless I need something. I do like it from an aesthetics point of view as the cleans up the bikes look.

sucks

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2125 on: April 12, 2021, 07:43:10 AM »
I'm a long time track/road bike rider but looking to get into a steel hardtail stumpjumper/rockhopper type thing. I've ridden 54cm frames for a while now but I'm a little confused about wheel & frame sizing for the mtn bikes. The inch measurements & different geos are really throwing me off.

I will likely be using this more as a grocery getter/riding it to skate/maybe fucking around in some gravel. I plan on mounting rear & front racks, etc. Also interested in any frame suggestions besides the two I mentioned above, more just using those for reference of what I'm looking for.

Thx :)

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2126 on: April 12, 2021, 07:52:43 AM »
I'd say the overall benefit of electronic shifting, is faster, crisper shifting and it doesn't require as much maintenance as mechanical shifting. It is not a need, its a want. I wanted a certain bike and it came with ultegra 11sp di2 or force e tap 12 speed, (same price) I chose the sram for the wireless tech and the extra speed. I really felt like it was ridiculous to have electronic shifting, then I bought it.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2127 on: April 12, 2021, 09:06:10 AM »
Good to know my world won't end if I stick to mechanical shifting.

My friend swears by eTap (SRAM) and others electronic (Shimano).

If the bike comes I want comes with Di2 - cool. If not, so be it. I know regardless of whether I go mechanical or electronic, my bike group will still depend on my to pull the line. Fucking assholes. HAHA.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2128 on: April 12, 2021, 11:37:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A hardtail steel frame is trendy but I wouldn't get stuck on that. An alloy frame with a modern geometry won't win you any cool guy points but it will be a better performer in most cases. I'd look for a used bike on pinkbike and FB marketplace. As for features I'd want a 1x drivetrain and a dropper post.

Mountain bike prices are crazy right now, though. If you give a budget I can try to point you in the right direction.

Thank you! I will include modern alloy frames and dropper post too on my research list. I've been thinking of buying a second hand bike, but I'm still unsure of my budget, I think I will spend around 1K. This is a long term project, I'm thinking summer 2022...

I watched the vid you posted, I had to turn down the volume after a couple of minutes lol. The wallride in the beginning looked so raw!!

It seems like they all ride a full suspension bike...

ballintoohard

« Reply #2129 on: April 12, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »
I raced XC and Enduro a bit, would never ride a hardtail again. If I were you I'd save a tad more and get something used with around 120-130mm of travel.  Although I wouldn't buy one, some of the 27.5 hardtail trail bikes look really fun. Dropper is a must.