Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304691 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: bikes
« Reply #2130 on: April 13, 2021, 05:45:47 AM »
you don’t need a dropper, you don’t need electronic shifting, you need legs and lungs mane

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2131 on: April 13, 2021, 05:57:56 AM »
I like electronic shifting on my gravel bike, but I've had one instance where I forgot to charge it and got semi-stranded (single speed, horrible gear for where I was) and struggled getting home. The advantages are good.

Would as of now not ever get electronic for MTB. I've got a Yeti SB 130 w/ XT and it is perfectly capable. Its mountain biking afterall.
ok thanks

Andmoreagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #2132 on: April 13, 2021, 06:36:47 AM »
you don’t need a dropper, you don’t need electronic shifting, you need legs and lungs mane

Dropper has nothing to do with fitness. Just a convenient way to get the seat out of the way for jumps and drops. It's really a game changer. If you're doing gravel roads or whatever no you don't need it.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2133 on: April 13, 2021, 12:30:28 PM »
some people, want a dropper and some people want electronic shifting. It's ok for people to do things differently than you.

dharris

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2134 on: April 13, 2021, 12:46:00 PM »
I love bikes  8)
Stuffs I like: questboards.com best skateboard AND customer service
David Harris - If you never try. you'll never know!

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2135 on: April 13, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2136 on: April 13, 2021, 05:52:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
some people, want a dropper and some people want electronic shifting. It's ok for people to do things differently than you.

i work at a shop, my entire job is predicated on people buying shit they don’t need lol

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #2137 on: April 13, 2021, 06:06:02 PM »
I rode a hardtail XC bike with no dropper for 25 years.  This year I managed to get a full suspension trail bike with a dropper.  The dropper is an absolute game changer!!  For certain trails I used to have to lower my seat manually at the beginning of the rides, but then I was stuck in an uncomfortable pedaling position for the entire ride.  Then if my seat was too high I would get pitched forward on certain features.  It's so nice to be able to adjust on the fly.
I guess you don't "need" a dropper, but damn I'll never ride without one again.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2138 on: April 13, 2021, 11:27:28 PM »
it's pointless comparing a dropper to electronic shifting, two completely different things. a dropper is mechanical and it would be extremely hard for it to malfunction, whereas an electronic shifter depends on you having the battery charged ... and you know how forgetful people can be.

man, am I looking forward to buying a house and having a safe space to keep properly good bikes in. right now, I don't dare spend a lot of money on one and then getting it stolen from my condo building

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2139 on: April 15, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »
Looks like Rival AXS just dropped yesterday, earlier than I thought. I actually prefer the aesthetics to Force and the price point is pretty reasonable - especially with the option for an integrated power meter.

Not in the market for a new bike right now and still pretty committed to mechanical, but electronic shifting and disc brakes seems to be the way the wind is blowing for new complete bikes and groupsets.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2140 on: April 15, 2021, 10:51:46 AM »
I have ridden about every single type of component and component group and was an early adopter of eTap simply due to Sram pricing being better for affiliate deals than Shimano, however, I would pick Shimano every single time for anything but a mountain bike. Shimano tends to have far less warranty issues and I found that they tend to have more longevity.

And yah, you don't absolutely need anything in specific. I can ride downhill trails on a hardtail, but it definitely isn't as fun and you limit your speed and agility significantly. I also think that most people are conned into buying bikes with far too much travel for their capabilities and never get a feel for the bike nor the suspension adjusted well.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2141 on: April 15, 2021, 11:34:36 AM »
I have ridden about every single type of component and component group and was an early adopter of eTap simply due to Sram pricing being better for affiliate deals than Shimano, however, I would pick Shimano every single time for anything but a mountain bike. Shimano tends to have far less warranty issues and I found that they tend to have more longevity.

And yah, you don't absolutely need anything in specific. I can ride downhill trails on a hardtail, but it definitely isn't as fun and you limit your speed and agility significantly. I also think that most people are conned into buying bikes with far too much travel for their capabilities and never get a feel for the bike nor the suspension adjusted well.

So true on that last point. I see so many expensive big travel bikes on the trails barely being used to their potential. Maybe they are taking them out to downhill parks on the weekends, idk. There is a certain amount of gear snobbery in the northeast mtb scene that's offputting but it does make it more satisfying to clear features the Santa Cruz dentists balk at on my clapped kona.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2142 on: April 16, 2021, 07:45:08 AM »
My Dad isn’t the best mountain biker but ended up buying a Pivot with 150/140 or 160/150 I forget which. Top of the line everything. He basically got it because this one trail he wants to ride is pretty gnarly, but for the most part has no use for it. With that particular suspension design tho you won’t wallow in the mid travel much so it’s mostly extra weight, but with lots of designs you just sit in the mid range and lose all progression.

I’m wondering how the trails will be in the SD area. I have always been curious to dabble again after quitting riding and selling all my bikes but my commuter. I’d love an Evil Following or maybe a Yeti 130, but I can’t bring myself to actually pay full retail for something new.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #2143 on: April 16, 2021, 07:56:55 AM »
Noob question: what’s a good gravel bike in the $1,000-$1,500 range, and where is a good website to purchase one from?

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2144 on: April 16, 2021, 08:58:50 AM »
you could get something like this

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman_650b/2019_journeyman_apex_1_650_yellow

my wife has a lower end version of this, and it's cool. if you plan on doing predominantly road, you could get the 700c version, which has bigger wheels but obviously can't run as large tires in that case (but still a good bit larger than standard road bike)

i suspect most manufacturers will have something in this price range so i guess just choose what one you think looks cool. everything is made in china anyways. obviously the frame geo can differ and certain manufacturers may fit better than others, or maybe you like shimano more than sram, or whatever. those aren't things you can figure out purchasing online though.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #2145 on: April 16, 2021, 10:38:14 AM »
Sick, thanks.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2146 on: April 16, 2021, 11:56:26 AM »
you could get something like this

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman_650b/2019_journeyman_apex_1_650_yellow

my wife has a lower end version of this, and it's cool. if you plan on doing predominantly road, you could get the 700c version, which has bigger wheels but obviously can't run as large tires in that case (but still a good bit larger than standard road bike)

i suspect most manufacturers will have something in this price range so i guess just choose what one you think looks cool. everything is made in china anyways. obviously the frame geo can differ and certain manufacturers may fit better than others, or maybe you like shimano more than sram, or whatever. those aren't things you can figure out purchasing online though.

Those Salsa’s are cool, and Specialized, Cannondale, and Giant have similarly specced models at the same general pricepoint (Diverge, Topstone, and Revolt, for reference). One thing to be aware of is that this price range has been one of the most popular since quarantine and may be pretty picked over. You could also check out Poseidon bikes, they’re cheaper but I’ve heard decent reviews and you get a fair amount of bike for the price. 

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2147 on: April 16, 2021, 12:31:17 PM »
all bikes are gonna be hard to find for the most part, it’s only gotten worse since last year. go used

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2148 on: April 16, 2021, 01:00:14 PM »
all bikes are gonna be hard to find for the most part, it’s only gotten worse since last year. go used

My LBS dude said bikes under $2K are hard to find/get ahold of. If you're looking into spending more, they're easier to get as most people aren't looking to buy anything past an entry level pricing.

A few of my buddies decided to upgrade over the past few months — both dropping $4k+ — and they were able to get their bikes within a week no problem.

My wife's friend had to wait something like six months for a $400 townie bike as they were seriously back ordered.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #2149 on: April 16, 2021, 04:49:59 PM »

This is so true!  Where I live it's mostly chunky rock gardens, and short steep climbs and descents.  I know a guy that fell for the trap and bought a long travel enduro bike with fox 38 forks.  He wants to sell it now because he said it mutes the trails to the point of not being fun.  He literally just points it at anything and steam rolls through it without any real bike handling skills required.  It's a super sick bike, but it's definitely not getting used to it's potential.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2150 on: April 17, 2021, 07:51:07 AM »
What’s your go to food for long rides? Just tried these new gels and they’re fucking horrible.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #2151 on: April 17, 2021, 11:58:32 AM »
What’s your go to food for long rides? Just tried these new gels and they’re fucking horrible.

i like to have a bag of dry fruit/dates/peanuts to munch on...

overnight oats/chia soaked with water and lots of brown sugar/cinnamon ...top it with a thick amoun of PB, cacao nibs whatever you like...

baked sweet potato/beets wrapped in tin foil

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2152 on: April 18, 2021, 04:44:08 AM »

I put a nice wald basket on my steamroller as well as panaracer gravelking ss+ because the gatorskin I had were horrible. It's a blissful ride, I love this bike.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2153 on: April 18, 2021, 07:19:40 AM »

I put a nice wald basket on my steamroller as well as panaracer gravelking ss+ because the gatorskin I had were horrible. It's a blissful ride, I love this bike.
sharp!
Liking the tires? I want to get a new set for my ss and those seem good. So you do much dirt riding? Or only street?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2154 on: April 18, 2021, 07:25:18 AM »
Highly recommend Panacracer Gravel Kings also. I have some 33s on my Steamroller.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2155 on: April 18, 2021, 07:32:17 AM »
Banged out a quick mixed terrain 30 miler on the Straggler yesterday, with a couple of steep climbs. Forgot how glorious that post-ride appetite feels when it starts to be fed. Want to start ramping up the miles to get another mixed-terrain century done this summer if surfing and skateboarding don't get in the way. See you on Strava.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2156 on: April 18, 2021, 09:36:54 AM »
pinkbike posted a video of cab riding xc.. not as cool as mark partain but

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2157 on: April 18, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
sharp!
Liking the tires? I want to get a new set for my ss and those seem good. So you do much dirt riding? Or only street?
Thanks ! Don't do much dirt riding since I live in Paris... Just came back from a 70km canal ride with some dirt at the end and they felt super good there too. Fast & comfortable.

I might lower my gear ratio though (running 48/18 right now), it's fine for the city but I enjoy the bike so much that I tend to take it more and more for longer rides instead of my Croix de Fer and 70km with that ratio is a bit hard on the knees, even mostly on flat.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:23:33 AM by tumulishoomaroom »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2158 on: April 18, 2021, 11:51:19 AM »

Random story but I was up looking for waves in a remote corner of WA state and I ran into this rugged dude in the gas station wearing a Jay Adams jacket. Anyway, turns out it was Partain. He was up there racing mountain bikes. Super nice bloke and was stoked to hear you could surf in that zone.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2159 on: April 18, 2021, 05:36:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Random story but I was up looking for waves in a remote corner of WA state and I ran into this rugged dude in the gas station wearing a Jay Adams jacket. Anyway, turns out it was Partain. He was up there racing mountain bikes. Super nice bloke and was stoked to hear you could surf in that zone.

incredibly sick shit. i love the mtb/skate crossover, a few of my skate homies here ride the local trails semi frequently w/ me