Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304697 times)

Bizarro Jerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
Re: bikes
« Reply #2160 on: April 18, 2021, 06:35:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I put a nice wald basket on my steamroller as well as panaracer gravelking ss+ because the gatorskin I had were horrible. It's a blissful ride, I love this bike.
[close]
sharp!
Liking the tires? I want to get a new set for my ss and those seem good. So you do much dirt riding? Or only street?
[close]
Thanks ! Don't do much dirt riding since I live in Paris... Just came back from a 70km canal ride with some dirt at the end and they felt super good there too. Fast & comfortable.

I might lower my gear ratio though (running 48/18 right now), it's fine for the city but I enjoy the bike so much that I tend to take it more and more for longer rides instead of my Croix de Fer and 70km with that ratio is a bit hard on the knees, even mostly on flat.

Incredible. This is pretty much exactly what I want my steamroller to look like. I was going back and forth between townie bars or some bullmoose but I think I settled on some soma sparrows. What pedals are those? look like MKS lambda pedals.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2161 on: April 18, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »
I put almost my whole Rapha collection up for sale on Paceline Forum today. Just cant ride road bikes anymore which means my Pegoretti is essentially going to sit motionless....sorta sad, but honestly...fuck cars. I've got young kids.

MTB and running (and skate/surf/snow of course) it is for me now.
ok thanks

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2162 on: April 19, 2021, 12:53:53 AM »
Incredible. This is pretty much exactly what I want my steamroller to look like. I was going back and forth between townie bars or some bullmoose but I think I settled on some soma sparrows. What pedals are those? look like MKS lambda pedals.
Thanks ! I took heavy inspiration from the beautifully overkill builds Blue Lug does; and I did my version of it with little less premium components. The bars are Nitto Albatross and they are really comfortable, I really like them. They are quite large, the Sparrow look a bit smaller in comparison. And you guessed right on the pedals !

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2163 on: April 20, 2021, 12:47:37 PM »
I put almost my whole Rapha collection up for sale on Paceline Forum today. Just cant ride road bikes anymore which means my Pegoretti is essentially going to sit motionless....sorta sad, but honestly...fuck cars. I've got young kids.

MTB and running (and skate/surf/snow of course) it is for me now.

Throw some of that on here or at least drop a link - some of us may want to jump on it. I do hear you on the cars though, I’ve come pretty close to getting popped a few times recently due to distracted/texting drivers.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2164 on: April 21, 2021, 10:28:01 AM »
had a really nice day on the bike yesterday. woke pretty early and went north. hadn't ridden the crosscheck in a long time and the gears are kind of skippy/not locking into immediately locking into place. I'm not sure if it's a stretched chain or if the derailleurs/drivetrain are smoked, but I don't know how to determine what's up. Wouldn't be surprised either way as it's the 2009 model with stock components, a lot of miles, and some beatings. I'm contemplating just replacing everything to get it as smooth as it was when I first bought it in 2012.

Anyone have ideas? I'd like to get straightening out for some camping this summer. Also, it's a 9 speed with a triple crankset but for some of the hills/mountains, it's not enough and I've contemplated getting some lower gearing in there. I'd appreciate thoughts on that too- Other than when I'm on bike trips, I've ridden fixed and gears are something I don't really understand. thanks homies!

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #2165 on: April 21, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »
If it’s skipping hard under power then the drivetrain is most likely toast. Usually it’s best to replace everything at the same time as they tend to wear out together.
You can try tuning it up. Also inspect the chain for any links that might be seized up. They do also sell cheap guide tools that let you know if your chain is worn.

Edit: when I say replace everything, it usually means front chain rings, rear cassette and chain. Derailleur is usually ok.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2166 on: April 21, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »
you can use a ruler to check your chain

12" on the tension side (the top) should go exactly from chain part to corresponding chain part (i.e. center of pin to center of pin, end of outer link to end of outer link... whatever reference point you use). if you're like an 1/16" off or more you should replace chain. if the drivetrain is already worn down you may need to replace everything, as skateboardnorth sez.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2167 on: April 21, 2021, 01:06:59 PM »
I just ordered a kids bike seat for my son on my gravel bike, he'll sit in front of me behind my bars.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2168 on: April 21, 2021, 02:34:38 PM »
If it’s skipping hard under power then the drivetrain is most likely toast. Usually it’s best to replace everything at the same time as they tend to wear out together.
You can try tuning it up. Also inspect the chain for any links that might be seized up. They do also sell cheap guide tools that let you know if your chain is worn.

Edit: when I say replace everything, it usually means front chain rings, rear cassette and chain. Derailleur is usually ok.

Well, I've already got a new rear cassette, less than 200miles, so that's cool. New front rings and chain will be the trick I hope! Sweet. thanks

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2169 on: April 21, 2021, 07:32:08 PM »
had a really nice day on the bike yesterday. woke pretty early and went north. hadn't ridden the crosscheck in a long time and the gears are kind of skippy/not locking into immediately locking into place. I'm not sure if it's a stretched chain or if the derailleurs/drivetrain are smoked, but I don't know how to determine what's up. Wouldn't be surprised either way as it's the 2009 model with stock components, a lot of miles, and some beatings. I'm contemplating just replacing everything to get it as smooth as it was when I first bought it in 2012.

Anyone have ideas? I'd like to get straightening out for some camping this summer. Also, it's a 9 speed with a triple crankset but for some of the hills/mountains, it's not enough and I've contemplated getting some lower gearing in there. I'd appreciate thoughts on that too- Other than when I'm on bike trips, I've ridden fixed and gears are something I don't really understand. thanks homies!

I like your scenery.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2170 on: April 21, 2021, 08:44:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like your scenery.

aw yeah, man. that's a real nice stretch of road and the cliffside is comparatively mild and there's room to stay off it, so it makes it even nicer to ride. One of my favorite, easily accessible places.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2171 on: April 22, 2021, 08:50:55 AM »
Is that Washington state?

Need a new helmet, I destroyed mine on the weekend. Nearly took my head off. Rode through a hole in a fence to hit a little gravel stretch... and low and behold the top wire of the fencing was still there... Ripped the shell off the inner plastic that sits on the head...

Anyway, helmets aren't that exciting to buy. It was a Giro Foray and I replaced it with a Giro Isode... Hope its not a downgrade...

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2172 on: April 22, 2021, 09:13:40 AM »
jesus i'm glad you still have a head, that sounds sketchy as shit

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2173 on: April 22, 2021, 09:16:11 AM »
Thanks! I didn't think too much of it at the time but yesterday, examining my helmet, I started to think about the potential aftermath if I did not have it on.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #2174 on: April 22, 2021, 10:41:46 AM »
Anyone have any experience with modernizing old mountain bikes? I got a late 80’s Specialized RockHopper for cheap that I want to put some new components on and build into a touring/gravel bike. It rides fine as is but is very clunky and could use some work. Is this even worth it?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2175 on: April 22, 2021, 10:48:16 AM »
Is that Washington state?

Need a new helmet, I destroyed mine on the weekend. Nearly took my head off. Rode through a hole in a fence to hit a little gravel stretch... and low and behold the top wire of the fencing was still there... Ripped the shell off the inner plastic that sits on the head...

Anyway, helmets aren't that exciting to buy. It was a Giro Foray and I replaced it with a Giro Isode... Hope its not a downgrade...

yikes! glad you save your dome. jeeezuz. I've got a Giro MTB helmet that I really like, for a helmet anyways. First helmet I'd ever bought. I've had too many head injuries and don't know how well I'd fare in the long run with another.

And now, that's not Washington state, it's off the North Coast of California. Just a short stretch of road outside Trinidad. On of my favorite easy-scenic roads to go down

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2176 on: April 23, 2021, 08:27:22 AM »
Finally went for a ride, first one of the year with the Genesis Croix de Fer. I had to tune it up a little after al the riding this summer and it took me ages to have it done, plus as much as I'd like to think I'm an all-weather rider mostly I just ride when it's nice out :)

Nice mix of long stretches of road, a lot of gravel (+ a nasty hike-a-bike with deep sand as well as a road that hadn't been repaved since the roman times probably) and cosy little villages. The way back wasn't as much fun as I had headwind for at least 30 fucking km and a big part of that was on a big road with trucks zipping by way too close to my liking. Hit of the trip was definitely these two castles though, very beautiful stuff and definitely worth the trip. (Ermenonville and Chantilly if you're curious). I'm pretty dead after that though, six months sitting on my ass with the different lockdowns and I'm not at my best on the saddle.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2177 on: April 23, 2021, 07:32:21 PM »
did my first 100+km today on a mix of road and gravel. had been talking to a friend a few days ago who said his first one kind of happened spontaneously so i think i had that in the back of my mind and rolled with it. just felt really good on the bike today ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mitchell_Stevens_7

« Reply #2178 on: April 24, 2021, 12:46:35 PM »
did my first 100+km today on a mix of road and gravel. had been talking to a friend a few days ago who said his first one kind of happened spontaneously so i think i had that in the back of my mind and rolled with it. just felt really good on the bike today ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's awesome, 100k is a big milestone. Hopefully that will motivate you for more adventures on the bike - have fun out there

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2179 on: April 24, 2021, 02:38:19 PM »

Congrats on 100k. That’s a number I’m hoping to hit by the end of this season. Most I’ve done in one ride is probably 65k km or so.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2180 on: April 25, 2021, 10:28:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Congrats on 100k. That’s a number I’m hoping to hit by the end of this season. Most I’ve done in one ride is probably 65k km or so.
thanks! i had been hovering around the 65km mark for my longest rides before jumping up to this one so you've definitely got it. just pick a sort of flat route and try to use the winds to your advantage if there are any.

sort of related... my bike's now really dirty. guy at the shop i always go to said you can use citrus degreaser and add tons of water to it to clean the whole bike but i'm sort of hesitant. anyone here do this? i heard just using dishsoap is fine too

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #2181 on: April 25, 2021, 11:30:54 AM »
i have no idea how i didn't know about this thread. sup y'all, bikes are my life.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2182 on: April 25, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »
Need some guidance on buying a crank set.

My bike is in the shop, said my cranks were busted, and that I could buy a set on Amazon or else where.

Amazon is saying it'll be delivered between May and June; not trying to wait that long.

Any other places I could find a double, 9 speed, crank set?

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2183 on: April 25, 2021, 01:32:48 PM »

My bike is in the shop, said my cranks were busted, and that I could buy a set on Amazon or else where.

Amazon is saying it'll be delivered between May and June; not trying to wait that long.

Bike shop can’t order you one?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #2184 on: April 25, 2021, 01:37:31 PM »

If it’s a Shimano Sora there should be some floating around at the online discount shops. ( Performance, Jenson, Cambria , competitive cyclist) be aware that bike parts are very scare post pandemic.  Always check Craigslist. 

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2185 on: April 25, 2021, 02:09:06 PM »
Noob question: what’s a good gravel bike in the $1,000-$1,500 range, and where is a good website to purchase one from?

Kona makes the Roves in this price range. I’ve got a middle of the pack steel one and it is excellent. Right now though, like everything, hard to come by. Seen more recently bought bikes on Craigslist in the last few weeks. Worth checking into.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2186 on: April 26, 2021, 12:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
thanks! i had been hovering around the 65km mark for my longest rides before jumping up to this one so you've definitely got it. just pick a sort of flat route and try to use the winds to your advantage if there are any.

sort of related... my bike's now really dirty. guy at the shop i always go to said you can use citrus degreaser and add tons of water to it to clean the whole bike but i'm sort of hesitant. anyone here do this? i heard just using dishsoap is fine too
I use it, like your guy said make a very mild solution, it’s biodegradable 8)
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2187 on: April 26, 2021, 02:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
thanks boss. any recommendations on water to degreaser ratio?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2188 on: April 26, 2021, 02:29:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I went 1:1 and it worked fine for me. Didn't feel woozy from fumes or the such.

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2189 on: April 26, 2021, 03:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

I went 1:1 and it worked fine for me. Didn't feel woozy from fumes or the such.

I use simple green for all kinds of stuff  1:1 to degrease chains and such, 1:4 I think for cleaning.