Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304742 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
Re: bikes
« Reply #2190 on: April 27, 2021, 03:15:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
did my first 100+km today on a mix of road and gravel. had been talking to a friend a few days ago who said his first one kind of happened spontaneously so i think i had that in the back of my mind and rolled with it. just felt really good on the bike today ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[close]

Congrats on 100k. That’s a number I’m hoping to hit by the end of this season. Most I’ve done in one ride is probably 65k km or so.
[close]
thanks! i had been hovering around the 65km mark for my longest rides before jumping up to this one so you've definitely got it. just pick a sort of flat route and try to use the winds to your advantage if there are any.

sort of related... my bike's now really dirty. guy at the shop i always go to said you can use citrus degreaser and add tons of water to it to clean the whole bike but i'm sort of hesitant. anyone here do this? i heard just using dishsoap is fine too
[close]
I use it, like your guy said make a very mild solution, it’s biodegradable 8)
[close]
thanks boss. any recommendations on water to degreaser ratio?
[close]

I went 1:1 and it worked fine for me. Didn't feel woozy from fumes or the such.
[close]

I use simple green for all kinds of stuff  1:1 to degrease chains and such, 1:4 I think for cleaning.
1:4 works but I’m a cheap bastard so I go like 1:6 or so.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2191 on: April 28, 2021, 05:35:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Need some guidance on buying a crank set.

My bike is in the shop, said my cranks were busted, and that I could buy a set on Amazon or else where.

Amazon is saying it'll be delivered between May and June; not trying to wait that long.

Any other places I could find a double, 9 speed, crank set?
[close]
Bike shop can’t order you one?

I guess not. They directed me to Amazon to get the part.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #2192 on: April 28, 2021, 05:36:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Need some guidance on buying a crank set.

My bike is in the shop, said my cranks were busted, and that I could buy a set on Amazon or else where.

Amazon is saying it'll be delivered between May and June; not trying to wait that long.

Any other places I could find a double, 9 speed, crank set?
[close]

If it’s a Shimano Sora there should be some floating around at the online discount shops. ( Performance, Jenson, Cambria , competitive cyclist) be aware that bike parts are very scare post pandemic.  Always check Craigslist.

Thanks for the suggestions! Performance has them back ordered unfortunately.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2193 on: April 29, 2021, 10:31:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSA_jvbgUkY&ab_channel=palasonix

So I recently cycled from Tokyo to Niigata prefecture in Japan, it's my second time doing a long cycle trip aside from doing Tokyo to Shizuoka city late 2019 (180km).

The trip ended up being 350km in total, went around and took some photos on the way, check it out if you want to see some Japanese countryside. (Video starts with a familiar tune!)

Fly_Hoenn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2194 on: April 30, 2021, 10:04:06 AM »
loved it! inspired me to do something like that this summer, i’ve been really hyped on riding bikes since covid started last year. also what shoes are you wearing? copa nationale?

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2195 on: April 30, 2021, 09:23:12 PM »

So I recently cycled from Tokyo to Niigata prefecture in Japan, it's my second time doing a long cycle trip aside from doing Tokyo to Shizuoka city late 2019 (180km).

The trip ended up being 350km in total, went around and took some photos on the way, check it out if you want to see some Japanese countryside. (Video starts with a familiar tune!)

Enjoyed this very much.  I love scenery.  Thanks for posting this.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #2196 on: April 30, 2021, 11:52:25 PM »
Thanks guys, glad to hear people enjoy it! I was worried that it was kinda corny haha

loved it! inspired me to do something like that this summer, i’ve been really hyped on riding bikes since covid started last year. also what shoes are you wearing? copa nationale?

Yeah I wore the Mike Arnold Copa Nationales! Kinda regret wearing them on the trip because they got so dirty, but it's a really nice shoe for any activity :)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2197 on: May 01, 2021, 05:51:47 PM »
I ended up getting super high this morning and needed something to do for a few hours, so I decided to go for a leisurely bike ride through some country roads. All rolling hills, it was glorious. I stopped at one point to sit on a gate and drink the rest of my coffee and ended up pedaling up the gravel road on the other side of the gate, figuring I'd see some wildflowers and have a view of the ocean. I got both of those and also saw the leg of a deer that had been killed by, I'm guessing a mountain lion, considering how the bones were snapped. What was cool was seeing at attachment at a joint. picked it up and had a good look at how the joint moves. the rest of the ride was uneventful but quite nice. I used to beating it hard and riding at a relaxed pace was perfect for today

oh ya, also, I know people didn't like the Vans Berle Pro because they tend to collect rocks in the soles, but they're nice, wide toed, stiff as a board cup soles that make a nice riding shoe
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2198 on: May 02, 2021, 06:00:19 AM »

I really enjoyed that this Sunday morning, thanks for sharing it. For me that format is the perfect travel video. Good music, no narrating but using text to tell people what’s up, nice compositions and filming that feels natural. You photos were quite good too. If I was there I probably would have been taking the same ones as they fit my style.

Looked like a really fun ride, through a wide range of places, aside from like you said going through those tunnels. Food was making me hungry, and missing Japan. Had planned to go there last fall.

This is also the type of video I’ve been telling myself I should do anytime I’ve travelled or done a worthwhile trip, but never end up doing. Did you have a mount for your phone - which I assume you filmed this with - or did you hand hold it?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 08:42:37 AM by sometimeperhaps »

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #2199 on: May 02, 2021, 07:49:40 AM »

This is wonderfully relaxing to watch, thanks for putting this together! I honestly don't ride my bike much (even though my brother gave me a nice one), but I'm definitely going out today after watching this. Thanks for the inspiration.

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #2200 on: May 02, 2021, 08:27:54 PM »
Yo thanks, I wouldn't have expected people to enjoy it this much, friends have been giving me positive feedback too :)

Expand Quote

[close]

I really enjoyed that this Sunday morning, thanks for sharing it. For me that format is the perfect travel video. Good music, no narrating but using text to tell people what’s up, nice compositions and filming that feels natural. You photos were quite good too. If I was there I probably would have been taking the same ones as they fit my style.

Looked like a really fun ride, through a wide range of places, aside from like you said going through those tunnels. Food was making me hungry, and missing Japan. Had planned to go there last fall.

This is also the type of video I’ve been telling myself I should do anytime I’ve travelled or done a worthwhile trip, but never end up doing. Did you have a mount for your phone - which I assume you filmed this with - or did you hand hold it?

Unfortunately I didn't have a mount for my phone, I know it's bad but I handheld all the footage (it's also why it's really shaky lol).

I actually wanted to video more of the fast / downhill rides of the mountains but it was way too sketchy especially with cars passing by. I should invest in a mount next time.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #2201 on: May 03, 2021, 10:25:17 PM »

Agree with everyone else - this was so sick! Thanks for posting. Hope you post/share more vids like this one.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2202 on: May 04, 2021, 06:04:37 AM »
Buddy’s loaning me his slightly-too-big 90’s Specialized to beat around on while I continue to try to find a bike.  Digging the rat rod vibes. CROM!

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2203 on: May 06, 2021, 10:52:57 PM »
alright folks, i've signed up for my first ever bike race. it's remote so i get to do it by myself, but i maybe foolishly signed up for the 120km with 3000 meters elevation gain. now after spontaneously signing up i have the feeling maybe i should train a bit. anybody have tips either for training or during race? i've got some general ideas but would be good to hear from others as well

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2204 on: May 07, 2021, 05:54:53 AM »
the best training is riding a lot slow and working in high intensity efforts. lmk how granular you want me to get and i’ll hit you with as much info as you want on race training. i was racing criteriums before covid and was pretty serious about it.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2205 on: May 07, 2021, 08:57:28 AM »
that is quite the race, 3000 meters is no joke.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2206 on: May 07, 2021, 09:33:58 AM »
that is quite the race, 3000 meters is no joke.

Christ. Yea. I'd die doing that.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2207 on: May 07, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »
Yo thanks, I wouldn't have expected people to enjoy it this much, friends have been giving me positive feedback too :)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Unfortunately I didn't have a mount for my phone, I know it's bad but I handheld all the footage (it's also why it's really shaky lol).

I actually wanted to video more of the fast / downhill rides of the mountains but it was way too sketchy especially with cars passing by. I should invest in a mount next time.

That’s awesome stuff!

I just got it in my head the other day that I want to film a long urban ride and I’m trying to work out the mount and camera stuff. I don’t want a bunch of edits or shots with the bike in view but I’m afraid a handlebar mount could be too shaky. Helmet cam definitely won’t work because I have to look back too much.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2208 on: May 08, 2021, 09:38:40 PM »
the best training is riding a lot slow and working in high intensity efforts. lmk how granular you want me to get and i’ll hit you with as much info as you want on race training. i was racing criteriums before covid and was pretty serious about it.
so i have 12 hours to complete the whole thing which seems like plenty of time... at least thinking about it right now. my "training" has basically just been going out on 60-70km rides that incorporate some decent climbs and i've been trying to up the pace even more on the climbs. also did my first 100km recently and biked the largest mountain in the area which is about 1300m over 12km. would love to know more though about real training.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2209 on: May 10, 2021, 08:11:45 AM »
what is the race format? group? tt syle? or submit a tpx file or strava time?

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2210 on: May 10, 2021, 01:28:34 PM »
what is the race format? group? tt syle? or submit a tpx file or strava time?
just have to track it through an app and complete it in 12 hours or less. it's not strava but something similar i think.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2211 on: May 15, 2021, 08:47:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
so i have 12 hours to complete the whole thing which seems like plenty of time... at least thinking about it right now. my "training" has basically just been going out on 60-70km rides that incorporate some decent climbs and i've been trying to up the pace even more on the climbs. also did my first 100km recently and biked the largest mountain in the area which is about 1300m over 12km. would love to know more though about real training.

yeoooww! longest and hardest race i've ever done was the wow cyclothon in iceland, i think i rode a similar distance/elevation profile over the course of the race.

i did a whole lot of hill training. i'd do a hard 100km ride, then finish it with hill reps up a steep hill, to get used to climbing while dead tired.

training peaks has some solid beginner plans though, IMO. they're free (i think) and will help get some structure in your riding.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2212 on: May 16, 2021, 06:41:34 PM »
Gravel biking: flats or clipless? I get tired and my feet start moving around, so part of me is thinking clipless. On the other hand, jumped some 6’ chain link fences today exploring some wetlands and the walkability of normal shoes was key. Either way I need to upgrade me pedals from these cheap joints I bought with the bike. $2500 bike, $20 pedals 🤷‍♀️

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2213 on: May 16, 2021, 10:30:07 PM »
Gravel biking: flats or clipless? I get tired and my feet start moving around, so part of me is thinking clipless. On the other hand, jumped some 6’ chain link fences today exploring some wetlands and the walkability of normal shoes was key. Either way I need to upgrade me pedals from these cheap joints I bought with the bike. $2500 bike, $20 pedals 🤷‍♀️
i've only ridden gravel clipless so i'm biased, but i'd say it's the way to go. i run mine at almost the lowest tension so it's still really easy to pop your feet out if you need to. also i can't imagine climbing some of the hills i have without them.

look at spd style pedals and shoes. those are the ones meant for mountain biking so you're meant to still be able to walk around in the shoes. i've had to hike small segments in mine and they've been fine, at least for having to hike in bike shoes. another plus is that it seems like spd is generally cheaper than spd-sl.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #2214 on: May 18, 2021, 12:30:53 AM »
clipless! as mentioned, normal spd mountainbike style shoes have ok walkability. i've barely ridden my gravelbike without cleats, and when i'm on my city bike i miss my cleats every damn day. i wouldn't switch to flats even if you paid me.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2215 on: May 18, 2021, 07:13:55 AM »
I like flats but I am really more into the downhill and jumps part of mountain biking. I think if pedaling efficiency is a priority clipless is a big help.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2216 on: May 18, 2021, 02:23:02 PM »
i run time atacs on my gravel and mountain bikes. good float and some adjustability while retaining the benefits of clips.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2217 on: May 18, 2021, 08:41:48 PM »
I’m looking to get new tires for my SE Lager. It comes with thick slicks but I’ve been riding gravel dust paths and I’d like more grip. More importantly, I like to jump off curbs and bunny hop up curbs. I don’t want to buy wider rims if I can help it. Any 28mm tires that ride wider and feel more solid on landings?

Thanks

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2218 on: May 18, 2021, 08:57:49 PM »
I’m looking to get new tires for my SE Lager. It comes with thick slicks but I’ve been riding gravel dust paths and I’d like more grip. More importantly, I like to jump off curbs and bunny hop up curbs. I don’t want to buy wider rims if I can help it. Any 28mm tires that ride wider and feel more solid on landings?

Thanks

i've ran gravelkings on my commuters for, i dunno, 8 years? never flatted on a curb, and it's been on plenty of dirt

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2219 on: May 20, 2021, 08:48:54 AM »
Finally went out for a quick ride yesterday. Haven't been on the bike since March.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!