Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304706 times)

sbmfj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bikes
« Reply #2220 on: May 20, 2021, 10:14:51 AM »
You guys ever compare data from a GPS based app and a bike computer?
When I bike to the skate spot, Strava says 10.6km, and bike CPU @ 10.05km.

I initially had it set up incorrectly - hadnt entered in the correct wheel measurement, and after correctly adjusting the wheel size, I went on a small test ride (1-2km) data matched.

Just wondering...

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2221 on: May 20, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »

I initially had it set up incorrectly - hadnt entered in the correct wheel measurement, and after correctly adjusting the wheel size, I went on a small test ride (1-2km) data matched.

Just wondering...

Yeah, I run Strava on my phone and record my ride on my bike computer and pick whichever summary makes me look cooler. Computer tends to estimate more elevation, phone longer distance + higher average speed. No major discrepancies, generally like +\- 300 ft and 0.5 mile tops.

I do have a couple of friends who have had their Garmin go nuts during a low pressure system or storm and tell them they climbed 40,000 feet after a ride.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2222 on: May 20, 2021, 11:48:50 AM »
I have nothing to compare to by I know a guy that runs and records it all on Strava and he'll do like a 6:30 pace and do like 4 miles which I find crazy since he's 43 years old. Because of that, I always felt Strava data was off but I wonder if he is just a super good runner if bike data seems pretty close.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2223 on: May 20, 2021, 12:09:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Just wondering...
[close]

Yeah, I run Strava on my phone and record my ride on my bike computer and pick whichever summary makes me look cooler. Computer tends to estimate more elevation, phone longer distance + higher average speed. No major discrepancies, generally like +\- 300 ft and 0.5 mile tops.

I do have a couple of friends who have had their Garmin go nuts during a low pressure system or storm and tell them they climbed 40,000 feet after a ride.

Yea, I just got a simple Cat Eye Wirelss Computer, none of the fancy Garmin ones. Those ones check cadence and what not right?

Thanks anyhow.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2224 on: May 20, 2021, 10:41:00 PM »
Strava's always seemed pretty accurate for me aside from some weird moments where my phone must rattle around in a weird way to throw it off. One ride it said my speed through a segment was 128kph. However I don't think it ever corrected it so I still hold the segment record by a longshot hehe

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2225 on: May 21, 2021, 04:09:57 AM »
the strava mobile app can be funny at times, the speed can get thrown off when you cell signal gts mixed up with a passing car and the elevation often gets mixed up when you are climbing beside a canyon or ravine, the signal will bounce across the opening to peaks on the other side.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #2226 on: May 21, 2021, 05:32:35 AM »
Wouldn't GPS signal be more dependent on the phone hardware? If the hardware is shit, that no app can salvage it?

I use a Garmin GPS watch now and will get the Edge 530 when I'll have the space and money for a proper bicycle(s). Gotta have that ClimbPro feature, sounds like the most helpful feature.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2227 on: May 21, 2021, 05:48:25 AM »
ya, this was based of my experience with a galaxy s6 or 7, a decent phone but nothing special.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2228 on: May 21, 2021, 08:25:41 AM »
strava via phone can be a crapshoot. depends on ping rate, satellite positioning, hardware, etc.

i've used a few computers over the years, mostly wahoo and garmin. both are accurate enough for me, but i'll regularly end a ride with +/- 100 ft and .5 mile than my girlfriends computer

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #2229 on: May 21, 2021, 12:52:59 PM »
Anyone here knows if biking helps at all with strengthening the muscles around your knee? I've been skating a lot the past few weeks and dealing with a little knee pain. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to go for any bike rides while I'm taking a day or more off from skating?

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #2230 on: May 21, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
Anyone here knows if biking helps at all with strengthening the muscles around your knee? I've been skating a lot the past few weeks and dealing with a little knee pain. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to go for any bike rides while I'm taking a day or more off from skating?

To start with, absolutely - it's pretty low impact and will strengthen quads, hamstrings, calf muscles. Combine with balance exercises and some resistance band work and you'll be feeling great.

With that said, riding a ton also carries some risk of overuse injuries, especially if your fit is off. So just ease into it and don't charge right into century rides.

MorningSesh

« Reply #2231 on: May 22, 2021, 05:20:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

To start with, absolutely - it's pretty low impact and will strengthen quads, hamstrings, calf muscles. Combine with balance exercises and some resistance band work and you'll be feeling great.

With that said, riding a ton also carries some risk of overuse injuries, especially if your fit is off. So just ease into it and don't charge right into century rides.
Sick, really good to know. Time to stop letting my bike sit around and collect dust.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2232 on: May 22, 2021, 10:57:26 AM »
I sold my Bianchi to a friend and have just been riding my Salsa, but I have a serious fixed gear itch. I’ve always wanted a steamroller, but they’re basically impossible to find and if I do find one, the people selling are the worst. Thinking about building up a Squid so-ez, but just a raw frame, I can’t handle that spray paint shit.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #2233 on: May 22, 2021, 03:38:56 PM »
I'm no doctor, but sometimes really tight calf muscles can cause knee pain.  I've actually had knee pain from biking too much without stretching, or doing opposing exercises to balance out my leg muscles.  Try doing the yoga pose "downward dog" and you will know right away if your calf muscles are tight. 

edit: skating also causes my calf muscle to tighten up from the constant pushing and jumping.  Best of luck dude!

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2234 on: May 22, 2021, 03:52:21 PM »
Will you guys bombard this asshole and let him know his bike isn’t worth $800. He’s a real prick that thinks his shit’s made of gold.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/walnut-creek-surly-steamroller-53cm/7325298695.html

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2235 on: May 23, 2021, 07:35:04 AM »
I sold my Bianchi to a friend and have just been riding my Salsa, but I have a serious fixed gear itch. I’ve always wanted a steamroller, but they’re basically impossible to find and if I do find one, the people selling are the worst. Thinking about building up a Squid so-ez, but just a raw frame, I can’t handle that spray paint shit.

that frame is cool, but they never carry size 50 v2, which is what i'd need. or they do and then i don't have any money.

the fixed gear i'd need would have to handle some dirt or woods on some routes, so that frame or a surly would be ideal to run bigger tyres i guess.

i used to spraypaint everything back in the day, but i totally agree. spray painting is annoying if you don't have a space to do it. doing it outside often looks just shitty if you live in a windy area. tons of debris sticking to it and stuff. like i couldn't do it in front of the house without having some shit fall on it due to all the trees along the avenue. keep it raw and seal it, done. or buy a properly painted frame that you like from the start.

i have a business in my neighborhood that can do ed-coating or what's it called, it's 120 bucks per frame. that's not that bad imo if the job is done proper and lasts a good few years. you can give them a rancid old frame and they will fix it up and paint it. i have no idea how costly their process is though.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2236 on: May 23, 2021, 08:31:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that frame is cool, but they never carry size 50 v2, which is what i'd need. or they do and then i don't have any money.

the fixed gear i'd need would have to handle some dirt or woods on some routes, so that frame or a surly would be ideal to run bigger tyres i guess.

i used to spraypaint everything back in the day, but i totally agree. spray painting is annoying if you don't have a space to do it. doing it outside often looks just shitty if you live in a windy area. tons of debris sticking to it and stuff. like i couldn't do it in front of the house without having some shit fall on it due to all the trees along the avenue. keep it raw and seal it, done. or buy a properly painted frame that you like from the start.

i have a business in my neighborhood that can do ed-coating or what's it called, it's 120 bucks per frame. that's not that bad imo if the job is done proper and lasts a good few years. you can give them a rancid old frame and they will fix it up and paint it. i have no idea how costly their process is though.
Yea the so-ez comes ed coated and it looks cool. There are a lot of places that will powder coat something for cheap, I just don’t want the responsibility of picking a color I guess.  I also live in a sketchy traffic area and wouldn’t run it without at least a front brake, and that really narrows rim choices down. None of which are ever in stock anywhere. It’s just going to turn in to another $2000 bike, and I’m not looking forward to it.

I’d rather buy a used complete steamroller, but as seen above, people think a freewheel upgrade is worth paying about retail for an at least 4 year old bike.

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #2237 on: May 23, 2021, 03:54:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yea the so-ez comes ed coated and it looks cool. There are a lot of places that will powder coat something for cheap, I just don’t want the responsibility of picking a color I guess.  I also live in a sketchy traffic area and wouldn’t run it without at least a front brake, and that really narrows rim choices down. None of which are ever in stock anywhere. It’s just going to turn in to another $2000 bike, and I’m not looking forward to it.

I’d rather buy a used complete steamroller, but as seen above, people think a freewheel upgrade is worth paying about retail for an at least 4 year old bike.

Doesn't the So-Ez also have crazy spacing? That'll limit your hub selection as well and may drive up the price a little more. Definitely a cool looking frame, love the wishbone seatstays.   

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2238 on: May 23, 2021, 07:15:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Doesn't the So-Ez also have crazy spacing? That'll limit your hub selection as well and may drive up the price a little more. Definitely a cool looking frame, love the wishbone seatstays.
Yea it's like 135 in the back but they list all the compatible stuff. They sell wheelsets on their site too, which is convenient. I really wanted that steamroller lol.

MorningSesh

« Reply #2239 on: May 23, 2021, 09:23:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm no doctor, but sometimes really tight calf muscles can cause knee pain.  I've actually had knee pain from biking too much without stretching, or doing opposing exercises to balance out my leg muscles.  Try doing the yoga pose "downward dog" and you will know right away if your calf muscles are tight. 

edit: skating also causes my calf muscle to tighten up from the constant pushing and jumping.  Best of luck dude!
Good looks, stretching is pretty helpful even when you're still "healthy" for sure.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2240 on: May 27, 2021, 02:40:34 AM »
i bought a giant granite mtb from an old skater from my neighborhood. it's fuckin sick. i'll post a pic later.

probably gonna replace the stem and saddle in the near future and it seems like it could use a new cassette maybe, since two sprockets seem to be fairly worn down and are better to be skipped. also it has quick release axles and those are a no go here, my wheels would be gone in no time. also what's a bit weird is that the crank axle seems to be wider than the bottom bracket. maybe that's not a problem or it just lacks dust caps, not sure. i'm not super familiar with old mtbs since i mostly fixed up road bikes until now.

also the seatpost is seized to the frame, but i guess it shouldn't be too hard for a professional to loosen it. i don't have the tools or space to knock the post out myself. fits pretty good as it is though.

i saw people converting old 26' mtbs like this to sort of gravel bikes, thought about trying to fit my 700c wheels on to the frame since i saw someone do that, too, but it depends on the frame if it works nicely. axle spacing is the same on both of my bikes, so it should work in principle.

all this aside, it rides super smooth and and i already bumped up and down a few curbs with it and if it wouldn't be raining like crap today i'd be riding the local baby trail rn. and when i'm done building this up and got fenders and the right tyres then i will actually look forward to weather like this because it's gonna be fun to blast through the dirt get all messed up.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2241 on: May 27, 2021, 06:04:52 PM »
Sounds like a sweet project. You might be able to knock that seat loose by spraying some penetrating oil in there and letting it set a while then going at it with a mallet. I like pb blaster for that. Also hitting where the seat goes in the frame with a torch would help. Don't know how that would affect the paint job though.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2242 on: May 27, 2021, 06:36:22 PM »
i bought a giant granite mtb from an old skater from my neighborhood. it's fuckin sick. i'll post a pic later.

probably gonna replace the stem and saddle in the near future and it seems like it could use a new cassette maybe, since two sprockets seem to be fairly worn down and are better to be skipped. also it has quick release axles and those are a no go here, my wheels would be gone in no time. also what's a bit weird is that the crank axle seems to be wider than the bottom bracket. maybe that's not a problem or it just lacks dust caps, not sure. i'm not super familiar with old mtbs since i mostly fixed up road bikes until now.

also the seatpost is seized to the frame, but i guess it shouldn't be too hard for a professional to loosen it. i don't have the tools or space to knock the post out myself. fits pretty good as it is though.

i saw people converting old 26' mtbs like this to sort of gravel bikes, thought about trying to fit my 700c wheels on to the frame since i saw someone do that, too, but it depends on the frame if it works nicely. axle spacing is the same on both of my bikes, so it should work in principle.

all this aside, it rides super smooth and and i already bumped up and down a few curbs with it and if it wouldn't be raining like crap today i'd be riding the local baby trail rn. and when i'm done building this up and got fenders and the right tyres then i will actually look forward to weather like this because it's gonna be fun to blast through the dirt get all messed up.

Maybe I am misremembering my Giant models, but the Granite is a rim-brake bike. Without frame modification or some wacky brakes, with rim brakes you are more or less limited to the size of wheel the bike was intended for, with some exceptions (none apply here).

FWIW I rode a 26" mountain bike as a "gravel" bike for years before I got my custom frame. That includes the original Oregon Outback, which I think started like seven years ago today. Good times.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2243 on: May 27, 2021, 09:04:45 PM »
Took a night photo of my bike.....again.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2244 on: May 28, 2021, 10:57:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe I am misremembering my Giant models, but the Granite is a rim-brake bike. Without frame modification or some wacky brakes, with rim brakes you are more or less limited to the size of wheel the bike was intended for, with some exceptions (none apply here).

FWIW I rode a 26" mountain bike as a "gravel" bike for years before I got my custom frame. That includes the original Oregon Outback, which I think started like seven years ago today. Good times.

thank you and yeah, i'm aware of that problem, i saw a video about it by a guy and how he overcome the issue. for now i just keep it in the back of my head. it's not meant to be a racer, so i'm not in a hurry to put bigger wheels on it.

the bike is already fun as it is, really happy with the purchase.

@Andmoreagain thanks for the suggestion, i thought about doing this as well, i am missing a mullet tho. the seat is fine for now, but if i change the stem i might need to lower it a bit. there are some things i need to get checked by a pro anyway so maybe i just let them loosen the seatpost lest i mess up.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #2245 on: May 30, 2021, 03:33:36 AM »
Here's my little no-name steel frame piece of shit I got as a gift from my former liquor store owner boss. I worked my ass off there, earned the title of Habib, and got this when I had to quit to move to California. Shit is 1 speed with coaster brakes right now, hopefully gonna switch things up soon but for now it's fun just zipping around downtown.

Just spent way too much time putting on a pannier with p-clamps since there was no rack holes in the frame. Hung this little skate rack I got for my bday on it, ready 2 rip.

I am a total newbie when it comes to bikes but I hope to upgrade my setup in the near future. Got a lotta learning to do.

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #2246 on: May 30, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »
Anybody have a mtb trail tool and/or tubeless patch kit recommendations?

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2247 on: May 30, 2021, 01:21:58 PM »

This thing is a solid saddle bag tool

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19?variant=12275516964960

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #2248 on: May 30, 2021, 06:08:33 PM »
Here's my little no-name steel frame piece of shit I got as a gift from my former liquor store owner boss. I worked my ass off there, earned the title of Habib, and got this when I had to quit to move to California. Shit is 1 speed with coaster brakes right now, hopefully gonna switch things up soon but for now it's fun just zipping around downtown.

Just spent way too much time putting on a pannier with p-clamps since there was no rack holes in the frame. Hung this little skate rack I got for my bday on it, ready 2 rip.

I am a total newbie when it comes to bikes but I hope to upgrade my setup in the near future. Got a lotta learning to do.

That's rad!

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #2249 on: May 30, 2021, 07:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This thing is a solid saddle bag tool

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19?variant=12275516964960

Thanks!