Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304727 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: bikes
« Reply #2250 on: May 31, 2021, 03:27:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Here's my little no-name steel frame piece of shit I got as a gift from my former liquor store owner boss. I worked my ass off there, earned the title of Habib, and got this when I had to quit to move to California. Shit is 1 speed with coaster brakes right now, hopefully gonna switch things up soon but for now it's fun just zipping around downtown.

Just spent way too much time putting on a pannier with p-clamps since there was no rack holes in the frame. Hung this little skate rack I got for my bday on it, ready 2 rip.

I am a total newbie when it comes to bikes but I hope to upgrade my setup in the near future. Got a lotta learning to do.

[close]
That's rad!

hell yeah, great bike and overall setup.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #2251 on: May 31, 2021, 03:40:43 AM »
bought a vintage roadbike from like 1980-85 for quite cheap, 120 bucks.
right now i'm working on two problems: a) the seatpost is stuck, and b)
the bike's friction shift is way off and does whatever. a nice little project.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 05:47:47 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2252 on: June 07, 2021, 09:11:23 PM »
So I figured out what pedals + shoes I’m getting. Already ordered Look Keo Classic Plus pedals and dhb Droica road shoes. I admit that they sort of look like ass but at least they don’t look wacky compared to other road shoes. Although I’m thinking of getting either the white or black ones. If I get the white ones and eventually use them for triathlons I’m concerned that if I do piss on my bike the white shoes would get stained all over.

Also bought a 54t chainring and a 15t cog for my fixie. Currently running 48/17 and I feel like it’s way too small and I can’t keep up with roadbikes. Figured the upgrade will be great cuz Qatar has the longest cycling lane spanning 33kms and it’s all flat. Gonna be fun dropping roadies on $10k+ bikes with electronic groupsets.

Last but not the least I’m gonna be working on a project. An all Chinese road bike. The frame’s gonna be from Velobuild as well as the wheelset.

Frameset:

Wheelset:

What the complete bike will look like:

For the groupset the Sensah Empire Pro 2 v3 12 speed would be my go to unless I can find a Tiagra groupset with disc brakes. If I do go with the Sensahs I’m not sure what brakeset to get from Aliexpress. Figured I’d go all Chinese on my project. Mainstream brands are overpriced.

The road bike I’m planning to build can also double as a TT/triathlon bike I just switch out the drop bars with basebars with aerobars and get bar end shifters.

If anyone has recommendations or suggestions I’d be more than grateful to hear em!

« Reply #2253 on: June 07, 2021, 09:12:24 PM »
Here's my little no-name steel frame piece of shit I got as a gift from my former liquor store owner boss. I worked my ass off there, earned the title of Habib, and got this when I had to quit to move to California. Shit is 1 speed with coaster brakes right now, hopefully gonna switch things up soon but for now it's fun just zipping around downtown.

Just spent way too much time putting on a pannier with p-clamps since there was no rack holes in the frame. Hung this little skate rack I got for my bday on it, ready 2 rip.

I am a total newbie when it comes to bikes but I hope to upgrade my setup in the near future. Got a lotta learning to do.

Looks like a fun bike to ride for sure. Where’d you get your skate rack?

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2254 on: June 08, 2021, 01:18:31 PM »
Best thread ever.. I love bikes and here are the best ones, congrats guys

caloi 10 1980

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2255 on: June 08, 2021, 04:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody have a mtb trail tool and/or tubeless patch kit recommendations?
[close]

This thing is a solid saddle bag tool

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/m19?variant=12275516964960
[close]

Thanks!

I've owned it and it falls apart very easily. Rivets that hold the tools in place detach/unscrew easily. Not to mention that the grip isn't wicked accessible. I find myself preferring to carry separate Allen keys, chain breaker, driver, etc as it doesn't take up much, if any more space.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #2256 on: June 08, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just chiming in because I have the same one but it’s a fairdale skate rack. They were sold out on the site but Amazon still has them. Hooks right to my back rack and works like a charm.

Fairdale Pannier Skaterack - FDZ-101-BK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089TY3TRZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CP2NFK3MGMRZTNW2AMGG

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2257 on: June 08, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »
fuck, madness struck again.

so i'm fine with my m/atb i bought, gotta straighten out the wheelset for sure, but then...

i was browsing local equivalent craigslist for parts and stuff and now there are two frames that are dirt cheap i evaluate on getting. one could potentially replace my main single speed, if it is actually smaller. some old french touring frame, lugged steel frame. thought about sanding it down to raw tubage and then apply sealant or maybe go over with transparent spray. bike. not sure. the other frame looks like a surly crosscheck in geo and what you could add, just with canti and no disk brake mounts. no idea where it's made, but it's in good shape und lugged steel as well. just 15 bucks.

i kind of just want to have those two frames to prepare for a build while i ride the others...

the french one could make for an awesome skate cruiser, similar to what urtripping has going. i could use a bunch of stuff off my single speed for sure, if not most of it. probably not the bottome bracket and cranks tho. would be sick to ride a frame that is not two sizes too big.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2258 on: June 08, 2021, 10:48:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks!
[close]

I've owned it and it falls apart very easily. Rivets that hold the tools in place detach/unscrew easily. Not to mention that the grip isn't wicked accessible. I find myself preferring to carry separate Allen keys, chain breaker, driver, etc as it doesn't take up much, if any more space.
just to provide different options, i've got this one. still solid after months of use.

https://bbbcycling.com/en_en/btl-141m-maxifold-m

« Reply #2259 on: June 09, 2021, 04:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just chiming in because I have the same one but it’s a fairdale skate rack. They were sold out on the site but Amazon still has them. Hooks right to my back rack and works like a charm.

Fairdale Pannier Skaterack - FDZ-101-BK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089TY3TRZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CP2NFK3MGMRZTNW2AMGG

Gonna copy this and weld one my own. I’ll post updates on the bike rack and if ever I’ll also put in the measurements and some bits and pieces for my diy build

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2260 on: June 09, 2021, 09:26:07 PM »
My Steamroller was stolen from my shed last night and then I fucking found it this afternoon. Dude was riding it about five blocks from my house. Jumped out of the car (wife was driving) and took it right back from the thief. Unreal. Lock up your bikes properly, Pals.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #2261 on: June 10, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks!
[close]

[close]
just to provide different options, i've got this one. still solid after months of use.

https://bbbcycling.com/en_en/btl-141m-maxifold-m

Thanks, all. A little bridge related mishap means I’m off the bike for a bit, but at least it gives me time to figure this out. I’m leaning toward individual hex keys plus a few other pieces for now, since I already have them. I have a pretty good minimalist kit for my motorcycle I did that way. Still unsure on tire repair. Bike was running tubeless when I got it. I’m well versed in changing/repairing tube-type and tubeless tires, but not so much in the bike size range.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2262 on: June 10, 2021, 11:59:06 AM »
My steed:

It's an old Soma Groove that I built up with some old MTB parts, added a disc brake fork and rear rack. Just added a fairdale rack as well to carry a deck. It's a blast.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2263 on: June 10, 2021, 01:27:17 PM »
Man, I've been thinking about getting a new road bike. I was looking at Bianchi's at first (as my work can get a discount on it) but now, I'm thinking about going modern/custom steel rather than carbon.

I'm thinking the Speedvagen ready-made Disc OG (photo below) but wanted to know who are some other custom/modern steel/Ti bike builders I should look into? Also, my budget is $6k. Thanks.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2264 on: June 10, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
Man, I've been thinking about getting a new road bike. I was looking at Bianchi's at first (as my work can get a discount on it) but now, I'm thinking about going modern/custom steel rather than carbon.

I'm thinking the Speedvagen ready-made Disc OG (photo below) but wanted to know who are some other custom/modern steel/Ti bike builders I should look into? Also, my budget is $6k. Thanks.

http://ifbikes.com/Bikes/steel-crown-jewel/

Indy fab. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2265 on: June 10, 2021, 02:29:34 PM »
Stupid head unit computer poll.

Wahoo?  Garmin?  The local has both Wahoos, but can get Garmin (if they're in stock), always found them unnecessary, but now I want one, because my phone is garbage.

What do you have, and what DON'T you like about it?  Or what do you wish you bought.  I'm not going to buy that $600 Garmin either. 

Thanks.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2266 on: June 10, 2021, 02:34:26 PM »

Wahoo?  Garmin?  The local has both Wahoos, but can get Garmin (if they're in stock), always found them unnecessary, but now I want one, because my phone is garbage.

What do you have, and what DON'T you like about it?  Or what do you wish you bought.  I'm not going to buy that $600 Garmin either. 

Thanks.

I prefer Wahoo brand as the Elemnt and the heart monitor set, which were all I really wanted and they, was cheaper than the Garmin computer.

There's times I wish I bought the cadence sensor, but I don't like the idea of the gluing it to my crank. So if I did want that data, which I kind of don't, I'll buy a crank arm meter. 

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2267 on: June 10, 2021, 02:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks.
[close]

I prefer Wahoo brand as the Elemnt and the heart monitor set, which were all I really wanted and they, was cheaper than the Garmin computer.

There's times I wish I bought the cadence sensor, but I don't like the idea of the gluing it to my crank. So if I did want that data, which I kind of don't, I'll buy a crank arm meter.

Is this the Roam, or the Bolt?

Thank you for your response.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2268 on: June 10, 2021, 03:12:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks.
[close]

[close]

Is this the Roam, or the Bolt?

Thank you for your response.

Bolt. I didn't need a colored screen.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2269 on: June 10, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »
My steed:

It's an old Soma Groove that I built up with some old MTB parts, added a disc brake fork and rear rack. Just added a fairdale rack as well to carry a deck. It's a blast.

that's so sick, pretty much what i want to build my mtb into.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #2270 on: June 11, 2021, 01:31:24 AM »
I have an Garmin Edge 520 that I got for cheap, it's nice for just generic stats. It also pairs well with my heart-rate strap. Garmin also has a nice route builder.
I don't like that mine is white in color...

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2271 on: June 11, 2021, 01:49:54 AM »
My steed:

This is very cool. I picked up an early 90s steel Hardrock in great shape last week, to essentially do something similar. Told myself it would be a long term project but it’s really hard not to just drop a ton of money on everything and get to work.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2272 on: June 11, 2021, 05:32:59 AM »
Expand Quote
My steed:

[close]
This is very cool. I picked up an early 90s steel Hardrock in great shape last week, to essentially do something similar. Told myself it would be a long term project but it’s really hard not to just drop a ton of money on everything and get to work.
i feel that, i have to restrain myself from binge buying parts for my mtb. i actually still have to finish up my single speed which is kind of in limbo and needs a new bottom bracket. i have to keep at least one bike in rideable shape.

on the mtb i'm gonna convert the stem to 1 1/8 next to put modern ahead clamps on it and sort out the crank alignment.

i want to order some cool stuff at blue lug to make them nicer. they have these cool slick looking chainringshields for 130 cranks and a pretty cheap and small handlebar bag. but i have to be like "nooooo, not yet..."

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2273 on: June 11, 2021, 06:28:37 AM »

Thanks.

i`ve got a garmin edge 530. i like the display, size, battery life and that it has got buttons, not touchscreen. i dont like that it cant plan routes itself (without the app), and that getting used to garmins UX is frustrating at times (use the app, dont try setting it up on the head unit itself, you`ll throw it at a wall). but once youve got it, its pretty amazing and actually makes sense.
some friends have got wahoos, they`ll complain about inconsistent reading and other weird stuff.
i think you cant go wrong with either, its like apple vs windows.

one thing though: no matter which one you`ll get, get speed and cadence sensors. especially the cadence sensor has been a game changer since i tend to use power over cadence. this has helped me a lot, and improved my experience.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2274 on: June 11, 2021, 07:20:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My steed:

[close]
[close]
i feel that, i have to restrain myself from binge buying parts for my mtb. i actually still have to finish up my single speed which is kind of in limbo and needs a new bottom bracket. i have to keep at least one bike in rideable shape.

on the mtb i'm gonna convert the stem to 1 1/8 next to put modern ahead clamps on it and sort out the crank alignment.

i want to order some cool stuff at blue lug to make them nicer. they have these cool slick looking chainringshields for 130 cranks and a pretty cheap and small handlebar bag. but i have to be like "nooooo, not yet..."
Jesus Christ, I ordered a quill to threadless adapter last night, but I got black instead of silver and now I’m questioning everything.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2275 on: June 11, 2021, 08:39:50 AM »

Thanks.
I have a wahoo element from 2017 and it is perfect. Wahoo only make products for cycling.It charges well, holds a charge, connects to all sensors and trainers easily, all of wahoo's software is easy to use.  And icing on the cake, years ago I left my wahoo in my jersey and put it through the wash and it was totally fine, really pathetic move on my part, but it is tough.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2276 on: June 11, 2021, 08:53:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My steed:

[close]
[close]

[close]
Jesus Christ, I ordered a quill to threadless adapter last night, but I got black instead of silver and now I’m questioning everything.

You all hit the nail of the head. I was going to take my time to build this up and a month later it looked like this. Although, working in the industry doesn't help my bike part obsession.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2277 on: June 11, 2021, 02:37:51 PM »
This is the Hardrock I picked up for $150. I THINK it's a '95. I had to replace the saddle and I swapped out the pedals. Got some plans for this. First thing is to change out the cockpit and get rid of those grip shifters. It's fun though, picked it up last week, already jumping speed bumps.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #2278 on: June 11, 2021, 03:36:37 PM »
just a couple shots of my ride with and without the skate rack set up, plus how I keep it in my small ass townhouse.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2279 on: June 11, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My steed:

[close]
[close]

I FEEL this. Can relate way too hard. I've had to set up a rule for myself to keep myself in check: if it's not actually broken, I have to ride at least 500km with a part before buying something else. It's a win/win.... In theory.