Author Topic: bikes  (Read 306236 times)

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
Re: bikes
« Reply #2370 on: August 29, 2021, 08:47:53 AM »
I've done 540km on it so far. I do enjoy it. Its a comfy ride. But I dont dig it. My CAAD10 with Campag Zonda wheelset was much stiffer, and ofc, did not hide vibrations as well as a carbon bike will do. So you feel like ur flying, while ur actually going pretty slow :D

Ayyeee. I have the same CAD10 and I also love it. Have thought about upgrading over the years, and kinda regret not spending more at the time for an ultegra group set. I’d have a hard time replacing it at this point.

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2371 on: August 29, 2021, 09:50:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
slap i dont know how to google,
i need help finding a website to buy mtb components,
something like tactics but for mtbs
please help :'(
[close]
Maybe Jenson? Idk, my local bike shop has a pretty good website and it links to the distribution inventory, so they can order whatever’s out there.

What are you looking for?
[close]

I need a 35mm long stem I believe and I want to convert my front gears from 3x to 1x, I have no idea what I will buy
[close]
God speed. I thought about doing that to my old mtb but the rabbit hole I went down wasn’t worth it. Don’t be this guy.

This build is fun and wacky. Despite the looks, it seems as if it was built to fit a very specific set of preferences. Singletrack commuter perhaps?

Its pretty wack to shit on the bike for having nice parts, most likely its spares from a hoarder. I’d love to give it a go.

Realized I had some spare mags in my garage, threw one on the BMX only to find out the hub width is easily 20mm too narrow to fit.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #2372 on: September 04, 2021, 06:43:32 PM »
I have a cheap bike from wal mart but know there is a vast difference between low quality and high quality.  I live 1.6 miles from work and am planning on just biking to work.

What should I expect to pay for a decent type of commuter bike?  Is it unreasonable to hope to pay less than 400$ USD that will be far better than a 140$ wal mart bike and last for a few years? If I get an 800$ bike is that noticeably different in quality than a 400$ bike?

Edit: So far I have figured out I don't really want a fixed gear as my sole bike, only need a few gears, and am not 100% sold on those tires that are super thin or have the handle bars that are U shaped where you have to bend over a bunch. 

As you can probably tell, I don't know much about bikes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 07:20:00 PM by pugmaster »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2373 on: September 04, 2021, 07:55:38 PM »
I have a cheap bike from wal mart but know there is a vast difference between low quality and high quality.  I live 1.6 miles from work and am planning on just biking to work.

What should I expect to pay for a decent type of commuter bike?  Is it unreasonable to hope to pay less than 400$ USD that will be far better than a 140$ wal mart bike and last for a few years? If I get an 800$ bike is that noticeably different in quality than a 400$ bike?

Edit: So far I have figured out I don't really want a fixed gear as my sole bike, only need a few gears, and am not 100% sold on those tires that are super thin or have the handle bars that are U shaped where you have to bend over a bunch. 

You can get a decent commuter for probably $600 out the door at your local bike shop.
https://www.alamedabicycle.com/product/giant-escape-3-comfort-381492-1.htm
Something like this. every big bike company has something comparable, and it'll be comfortable and last you a long time.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2374 on: September 04, 2021, 11:39:08 PM »

Dude, 1.6 miles is alright on any bike. Lube the chain and put some air in the tires and you're good to go. If we're talking pure functionality that is  :)

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2375 on: September 05, 2021, 07:50:10 AM »

Have a look at Craigslist or FB marketplace for used bikes. There are tons of 10 speed road bikes from the 1970s that you can get for under $400. If you want thicker tires (to better barge over crappy ground) you can get a 90s rigid frame mountain bike, then swap out the knobby dirt tires for some smoother street tires. Either way will definitely be better than the WalMart bike.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2376 on: September 05, 2021, 07:55:22 AM »
80s/90s era rigid mountain bike is the perfect bike for nearly anything: commuter, basket bike, touring bike, mountain bike, bar bike, whatever.  Millions were made, replacement parts are plenty, everything was mostly standardized like headsets, bottom bracket, axle spacing, brake mount posts with the exception of the couple years with CS mounted 990s, and on and on.

Plus they can be found for cheap.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2377 on: September 05, 2021, 10:41:09 AM »
80s/90s era rigid mountain bike is the perfect bike for nearly anything: commuter, basket bike, touring bike, mountain bike, bar bike, whatever.  Millions were made, replacement parts are plenty, everything was mostly standardized like headsets, bottom bracket, axle spacing, brake mount posts with the exception of the couple years with CS mounted 990s, and on and on.

if not free, i’ve had quite a few fall into my possession over time and they were all dutiful grocery getters, weed delivery whips etc

Landmine

« Reply #2378 on: September 05, 2021, 07:47:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if not free, i’ve had quite a few fall into my possession over time and they were all dutiful grocery getters, weed delivery whips etc

I got a nice Stumpjumper for free once, but unfortunately the seatpost was seized so bad nothing could get it free.  I would have left it if it wasn't almost 2" lower than I need.  I stripped all the nice XT stuff off of it and used it on a Rockhopper Xtracycle conversion and gave the frame/fork/post to my local shop in case someone happened to fit it as-is.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2379 on: September 06, 2021, 03:01:19 AM »
have this dumb idea of buying this for the 70 quid it's listed for and making a freestyle fixie/tracklocross thing out of it...

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2380 on: September 08, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
me and my coworker are continuing to battle for the fastest ascent on a steep popular hill. it's less that 2 miles long and has a flat section in between two +10% ascents ... today I beat his time by 12 seconds and my HR for the 14:24 duration was 182 on average - I was dying.

still a long ways off from Roglič's KOM of 8 minutes on the segment, 20km/h average

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2381 on: September 09, 2021, 09:48:55 AM »
me and my coworker are continuing to battle for the fastest ascent on a steep popular hill. it's less that 2 miles long and has a flat section in between two +10% ascents ... today I beat his time by 12 seconds and my HR for the 14:24 duration was 182 on average - I was dying.

still a long ways off from Roglič's KOM of 8 minutes on the segment, 20km/h average

lol I read this as fastest descent at first and was like damn that's pretty slow. Gj man sounds like a leg burner.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2382 on: September 09, 2021, 03:05:29 PM »
Thanks for the great information everyone.  I'm in the process of figuring out how to true my own wheel.  I don't really want to do this often.  I could work on a skateboard and find it fun, but could really care less about working on a bike.

Are there downsides to 3 spoke wheels?  I'd love to not have to screw around with spokes or buy a truing stand, or worse yet, pay to have it done.

Never forget:

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2383 on: September 09, 2021, 03:19:21 PM »
Thanks for the great information everyone.  I'm in the process of figuring out how to true my own wheel.  I don't really want to do this often.  I could work on a skateboard and find it fun, but could really care less about working on a bike.

Are there downsides to 3 spoke wheels?  I'd love to not have to screw around with spokes or buy a truing stand, or worse yet, pay to have it done.

good on you for learning that. i plan to do the same. i just payed a good amount to get my wheels trued and my drivetrain sort of ruined(managed to reverse it back to where it was before). i've got a bike tool kit in the mail, i'm excited that i will be able to ruin my drivetrain myself.

i'm bummed the dude with the gt doesn't answer my request. my seatpost is seized and that sucks, too. i need it a tad lower. this is what you get for riding second hand clunkers haha.

i have a backup single speed missing brake levers and grips collecting dust, maybe i should fix that up.

Landmine

« Reply #2384 on: September 10, 2021, 08:13:27 AM »

Are you talking about wheels like this?

Aside from being kook fixie kid shit, you can't true or tension them if they get fucked up and they cost stupid money.  They can be pretty light, but so can a proper laced wheel.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #2385 on: September 10, 2021, 05:26:39 PM »

This is the correct answer. 1990s chromoly mountain bikes from major makers like Trek and Specialized are available for practically nothing in thrift stores, garage sales and of Craigslist. I've been riding the same Trek 850 for 8 years as a primary commuter. Impossible to know how many thousands of miles I've ridden it, but I've taken it all the way across multiple states, up and down numerous mountain passes, to and from work, the bar, dates, restaurants, etc. I couldn't ask any more from a bike and it has always delivered.

It's been funny to see the new vintage MTB craze emerge, I'm glad to see more people coming around to them. There are still so many that even in the bike-mad corner of the world where I live, a vintage Stumpy is still ~$100-200.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2386 on: September 10, 2021, 05:29:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Aside from being kook fixie kid shit, you can't true or tension them if they get fucked up and they cost stupid money.  They can be pretty light, but so can a proper laced wheel.

In addition to all of that, also ~50% chance they're tubular. And most tri-spokes are going to weigh more than a standard wheel with moderate quality components. The newer HED wheels are pretty light, but most of the old stuff are built like bricks because they were intended for triathletes, who traditionally aren't weight weenies. And the newer HED wheels aren't likely to be cheap like an old Specialized tri-spoke.

Landmine

« Reply #2387 on: September 10, 2021, 07:17:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is the correct answer. 1990s chromoly mountain bikes from major makers like Trek and Specialized are available for practically nothing in thrift stores, garage sales and of Craigslist. I've been riding the same Trek 850 for 8 years as a primary commuter. Impossible to know how many thousands of miles I've ridden it, but I've taken it all the way across multiple states, up and down numerous mountain passes, to and from work, the bar, dates, restaurants, etc. I couldn't ask any more from a bike and it has always delivered.

It's been funny to see the new vintage MTB craze emerge, I'm glad to see more people coming around to them. There are still so many that even in the bike-mad corner of the world where I live, a vintage Stumpy is still ~$100-200.

Man I wish I was still finding SJs for that little.  I seems that the local sellers caught on years ago, it's easier and cheaper to find early/mid 2000s models.  Same with Rockhoppers; there's only one locally and they want $450 for it

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2388 on: September 10, 2021, 11:06:58 PM »
haha, I bought a Trek 810 cro-moly 22 years ago as a kid, brand new. I managed to break the frame at the rear derailleur the first year as a fucking skinny kid, not doing any MTB riding!

also, I sold that same bike 18 years later (for 15€) when the weld finally gave up (the bike was used lightly all those years, I had better bikes, but they got stolen so I had to use this one for a while)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vg7tk9zqfgPQFHsN6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vg7tk9zqfgPQFHsN6

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2389 on: September 10, 2021, 11:13:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

In addition to all of that, also ~50% chance they're tubular. And most tri-spokes are going to weigh more than a standard wheel with moderate quality components. The newer HED wheels are pretty light, but most of the old stuff are built like bricks because they were intended for triathletes, who traditionally aren't weight weenies. And the newer HED wheels aren't likely to be cheap like an old Specialized tri-spoke.

Thanks again everyone for all the insight.  I DON'T care about cool points or about being perceived as a "bike kook".  I DON'T want to have to dick around with truing rims and all of that.  I DON'T care about weight.

I want a bike that I don't have to fuck with.  Point blank, period.  I DON'T CARE ABOUT BIKE CULTURE, BIKE AESTHETICS, OR THE BIKE INDUSTRY.  Just to be absolutely, totally, and completely clear.

I'm not doing "centuries" or buying those hats with little brims.  I am riding a bike. To work. I want to do the absolute bare minimum without spending 2K for a "minimalist bike".
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:29:32 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2390 on: September 11, 2021, 04:52:56 AM »
madness update

bought a frame for 15 quid. pretty sick. not sure what i'll do with it, it takes 700c wheels. looks like it could be a cool sort of gravel bike or randonneur bike.

ordered some parts to fix up the single speed.

the gt is gone unfortunately.

gonna pick up a 26'' wheelset for a tenner tomorrow morning.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #2391 on: September 11, 2021, 05:16:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks again everyone for all the insight.  I DON'T care about cool points or about being perceived as a "bike kook".  I DON'T want to have to dick around with truing rims and all of that.  I DON'T care about weight.

I want a bike that I don't have to fuck with.  Point blank, period.  I DON'T CARE ABOUT BIKE CULTURE, BIKE AESTHETICS, OR THE BIKE INDUSTRY.  Just to be absolutely, totally, and completely clear.

I'm not doing "centuries" or buying those hats with little brims.  I am riding a bike. To work. I want to do the absolute bare minimum without spending 2K for a "minimalist bike".

You want touring rims then. Altas rims by Velocity are reasonably priced and pretty indestructible.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2392 on: September 11, 2021, 07:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

cop a mongoose from walmart and use the $ you save to get medicated for that grumpy attitude homie

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2393 on: September 11, 2021, 07:27:29 AM »
also fwiw i rode a cracked hed trispoke for a month messengering in NYC and it didn’t wobble at all.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2394 on: September 11, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just ride the shitty Walmart bike you have then. Your commute is 3 miles round trip. It’s nothing. Take your bike to your local bike shop and drop $100 on a tune up and do that once a year until it falls apart. Truing should be a part of the tune up.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2395 on: September 11, 2021, 12:36:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you don’t care about weight, or looks, and you only want high quality wheels you won’t need to fuck with, buy 36 spoke, three-cross wheels with double butted spokes and high quality, double walled rims. This has been the gold standard for several decades now.

On the other hand, if this is a Walmart bike, just ride it until the thing falls apart.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2396 on: September 11, 2021, 08:47:08 PM »
@PuffinMuffin  @camp chill yourself @manysnakes

Awesome, thanks for the input!

That guy pissed me off by calling me a kook but I have settled right on down. 

Sometimes trying to save money ends up not being worth it.  For example, using a dull chef knife for a long time rather than get a sharpener or a new set. 

I'll hit up my bike local and see what they charge.  Maybe get better brakes in the process.  I do sort of want a jalopy bike so no one wants to steal it.

Never forget:

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #2397 on: September 12, 2021, 05:40:38 AM »
@PuffinMuffin  @camp chill yourself @manysnakes

Awesome, thanks for the input!

That guy pissed me off by calling me a kook but I have settled right on down. 

Sometimes trying to save money ends up not being worth it.  For example, using a dull chef knife for a long time rather than get a sharpener or a new set. 

I'll hit up my bike local and see what they charge.  Maybe get better brakes in the process.  I do sort of want a jalopy bike so no one wants to steal it.

He wasn’t calling you a kook, but rather the wheels kooky. Honestly, if I saw big brand carbon trispoke wheels on a Walmart bike I’d assume they’re stolen. If you’re not used to deep section rims you’ll be at the mercy of gusts of wind. We like having you around on SLAP and don’t want to see you squished under an SUV.

If I was you, I’d ride your wheelset until it fails. Prices are still hiked due to massive supply shortages.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #2398 on: September 12, 2021, 06:15:48 AM »
I was watching some YouTubes and was just made aware that mtbers have a “stance”.   Is this a thing? Do they use goofy and regular? Is it weird I skate regular but bike goofy? I had noticed I tend to bike right foot forward, but I started switching it up.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2399 on: September 12, 2021, 07:44:28 AM »
whichever is the foot you keep in front when doing features (jumps, which foot pulls up on log overs etc) determines your stance- just like skating. i skate and ride mtb regular.