Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304713 times)

Landmine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 184
Re: bikes
« Reply #2400 on: September 12, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »
Expand Quote
@PuffinMuffin  @camp chill yourself @manysnakes

Awesome, thanks for the input!

That guy pissed me off by calling me a kook but I have settled right on down. 

Sometimes trying to save money ends up not being worth it.  For example, using a dull chef knife for a long time rather than get a sharpener or a new set. 

I'll hit up my bike local and see what they charge.  Maybe get better brakes in the process.  I do sort of want a jalopy bike so no one wants to steal it.
[close]

He wasn’t calling you a kook, but rather the wheels kooky. Honestly, if I saw big brand carbon trispoke wheels on a Walmart bike I’d assume they’re stolen. If you’re not used to deep section rims you’ll be at the mercy of gusts of wind. We like having you around on SLAP and don’t want to see you squished under an SUV.

If I was you, I’d ride your wheelset until it fails. Prices are still hiked due to massive supply shortages.

Yeah no kook call outs from me.  Just input on the wheels.  You'd be far better off with a well built spoked wheelset than a tri-spoke, for less money and more longevity.  Buy some Sun CR18s if you need replacements, have a shop check true/tension, and they'll last you 15-20 years.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2401 on: September 13, 2021, 08:02:27 AM »
You can also get Carbon fiber rims, they don't get out of true.  I ride WEAREONE carbon rims on my mountain bike and they are solid.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #2402 on: September 13, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
You can also get Carbon fiber rims, they don't get out of true.  I ride WEAREONE carbon rims on my mountain bike and they are solid.

That's not true at all. Whoever told you that lied to you. :(
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2403 on: September 13, 2021, 08:46:03 AM »
I never knew there were stances in MTB, I'm not sure it matters to me which foot is in front when I hit features. I'll have to pay attention next time I ride.

Landmine

« Reply #2404 on: September 13, 2021, 05:53:35 PM »
I never knew there were stances in MTB, I'm not sure it matters to me which foot is in front when I hit features. I'll have to pay attention next time I ride.

You're probably doing it without thinking, and I'll bet $1 it's the same as your skate stance.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #2405 on: September 13, 2021, 11:19:53 PM »
it's a thing. I tried my opposite foot forward today on a steep dirt DH and it felt awkward as hell.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2406 on: September 14, 2021, 09:20:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess if you want to get really crazy they might but at that point cracking would be more of an issue.  I imagine that the levels at which carbon rims bend and don't return is so far outside the realm of normal riders that it isn't really a factor.

Carbon doesn't deform like aluminum and I get that it is a trade off between compliance and stiffness but as long as they aren't super light XC rims they should be strong.  I went back and read 5 or 6 carbon rim reviews on Pinkbike and truing was never a problem.  Cracking or poor manufacturing can be be an issue though.

Saw this quote when I was looking around to see if what I said was wildly wrong:

Jason Marsh the mechanic of Greg Minaar 2012/2021 DH World Cup Champion about ENVE DH rims, he said that, ”Once you have built them, you don’t need to do anything, the spokes remain tight and they don’t need truing

Landmine

« Reply #2407 on: September 14, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess if you want to get really crazy they might but at that point cracking would be more of an issue.  I imagine that the levels at which carbon rims bend and don't return is so far outside the realm of normal riders that it isn't really a factor.

Carbon doesn't deform like aluminum and I get that it is a trade off between compliance and stiffness but as long as they aren't super light XC rims they should be strong.  I went back and read 5 or 6 carbon rim reviews on Pinkbike and truing was never a problem.  Cracking or poor manufacturing can be be an issue though.

Saw this quote when I was looking around to see if what I said was wildly wrong:

Jason Marsh the mechanic of Greg Minaar 2012/2021 DH World Cup Champion about ENVE DH rims, he said that, ”Once you have built them, you don’t need to do anything, the spokes remain tight and they don’t need truing

That's just not true though.  Any spoked wheel can come untrue, that's the very nature of cross tensioned spokes.  Carbon may be less likely to become untrue after a bit hit or spill, but losing tension in two spokes will make any rim go out of true or out of round.

The big advantage for carbon rims is weight and lateral strength when compared to aluminum, not a "set and forget" approach.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2408 on: September 14, 2021, 12:17:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You're probably doing it without thinking, and I'll bet $1 it's the same as your skate stance.
I had to try this today, took my roadbike a bit off-road and low and behold, any technical terrain I found my foot position being regular just like my skating  ;D
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2409 on: September 15, 2021, 12:46:11 PM »
whichever is the foot you keep in front when doing features (jumps, which foot pulls up on log overs etc) determines your stance- just like skating. i skate and ride mtb regular.

Skate and ride goofy
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2410 on: September 15, 2021, 12:51:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's hilarious to read because, in my former life, I was a team and shop bike mechanic. I worked with an ENVE mechanic who said that, at the big DH competitions, they would swap out the wheels multiple times a day and would often rebuild the wheels (this was when ENVE riders were using Chris King hubs) to new rims every night.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2411 on: September 15, 2021, 12:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's just not true though.  Any spoked wheel can come untrue, that's the very nature of cross tensioned spokes.  Carbon may be less likely to become untrue after a bit hit or spill, but losing tension in two spokes will make any rim go out of true or out of round.

The big advantage for carbon rims is weight and lateral strength when compared to aluminum, not a "set and forget" approach.

Approved:

Landmine

« Reply #2412 on: September 15, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Approved:

lmao the C&V crowd probably frowns on extruded aluminum, saying "these wheels don't PLANE like they did in the 60s"

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2413 on: September 15, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »
i refuse to be slandered as a retro grouch

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2414 on: September 15, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »
i refuse to be slandered as a retro grouch

Everyone at some point looks at something like the newest patent from SRAM for wireless hydraulic brake and reaches their breaking point. From there, you're counting down until you're a retrogrouch of one sort or another.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2415 on: September 15, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Approved:

[close]

lmao the C&V crowd probably frowns on extruded aluminum, saying "these wheels don't PLANE like they did in the 60s"

Haha, I worked with an older guy who swore single-pivot caliper brakes are the superior braking system, even compared to disk.

Landmine

« Reply #2416 on: September 15, 2021, 06:03:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Approved:

[close]

[close]

Haha, I worked with an older guy who swore single-pivot caliper brakes are the superior braking system, even compared to disk.

Haha there's always something

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2417 on: September 16, 2021, 06:26:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tried it out. Doesn't seem to matter for tech terrain but if I hit a jump or drop I'm left foot forward just like a skateboard. Pretty interesting

thebacker

« Reply #2418 on: September 16, 2021, 07:17:54 AM »

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-3-2020

got one of these about a year ago and im already wanting to upgrade to a better bike.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:12:39 AM by DaveFuck »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2419 on: September 16, 2021, 02:04:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Approved:

[close]

[close]

I've still got the Campagnolo single-pivot rear brakes on my road bike. They only introduced a dual-pivot rear with the advent of 11 speed.

Mitchell_Stevens_7

« Reply #2420 on: September 17, 2021, 07:24:59 AM »

got one of these about a year ago and im already wanting to upgrade to a better bike.

My brother owns the same bike but with tiagra on it. It's a solid device, but he's also considering getting a more sophisticated bike. Do you already have an idea what you want to buy?

thebacker

« Reply #2421 on: September 17, 2021, 07:27:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My brother owns the same bike but with tiagra on it. It's a solid device, but he's also considering getting a more sophisticated bike. Do you already have an idea what you want to buy?

not really, i know i want shimano 105 group set and cant really afford carbon

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2422 on: September 17, 2021, 07:40:01 AM »
the cannondale caad, specialized allez and trek emonda al are all really good aluminum options with 105, the jump from 105  to ultegra and dura ace is  minimal, but the difference  between tiagra  up to 105 is light years apart.

thebacker

« Reply #2423 on: September 17, 2021, 08:04:03 AM »
the cannondale caad, specialized allez and trek emonda al are all really good aluminum options with 105, the jump from 105  to ultegra and dura ace is  minimal, but the difference  between tiagra  up to 105 is light years apart.
good looks my g, i was originally looking at the caad and allez last year but couldnt find those ANYWHERE near me.

If I do upgrade it will probably be those 2. I also gotta get clipless pedals and actual biking shoes but that will come in time. It's too convenient now to just put on my skate shoes and go out for a ride.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2424 on: September 17, 2021, 09:45:53 AM »
My understanding is that most manufacturers are saying that the soonest when bikes will be readily available is MY 23, which means August/September of next year. I understand upgradeitus better than anyone, but I’d just ride that shit until you can get something you want that doesn’t required months of hunting, incredible good fortune, or else some sort of compromise where you end up riding a “105” bike that consists of three actual 105 components.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2425 on: September 17, 2021, 04:49:32 PM »
me and my coworker are continuing to battle for the fastest ascent on a steep popular hill. it's less that 2 miles long and has a flat section in between two +10% ascents ... today I beat his time by 12 seconds and my HR for the 14:24 duration was 182 on average - I was dying.

still a long ways off from Roglič's KOM of 8 minutes on the segment, 20km/h average

Good job.  Keep suffering.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2426 on: September 18, 2021, 07:34:06 AM »
Got hit by a car a couple of months ago, they took off, left me with a broken SRAM shifter. Campy 11 speed Potenza shifters were cheap because of brexit, so I picked up them and a matching rd with a cheaper campy cassette. No matter what the campy rd rubbed the chain, so annoying.

So I got high one night and looked at the specs of pull ratios/cog pitch on here: http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Ended up figuring out you can mate the Potenza shifters with an 11-speed Shimano rd, and a Shimano/SRAM cassette with two 10 speed spacers near the center of the cassette. It rides just as well as my bike with complete Ultegra.

Does anyone else mix and match? When I used to manage a shop people would come in with some jank setups. Prices have been crazy and people are desperate, kinda thinking stuff like this is going to be more commonplace. Pleasently surprized it works so well.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2427 on: September 18, 2021, 08:59:37 AM »
When I get high all I look at is the refrigerator.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2428 on: September 18, 2021, 09:49:18 AM »
Got hit by a car a couple of months ago, they took off, left me with a broken SRAM shifter. Campy 11 speed Potenza shifters were cheap because of brexit, so I picked up them and a matching rd with a cheaper campy cassette. No matter what the campy rd rubbed the chain, so annoying.

So I got high one night and looked at the specs of pull ratios/cog pitch on here: http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Ended up figuring out you can mate the Potenza shifters with an 11-speed Shimano rd, and a Shimano/SRAM cassette with two 10 speed spacers near the center of the cassette. It rides just as well as my bike with complete Ultegra.

Does anyone else mix and match? When I used to manage a shop people would come in with some jank setups. Prices have been crazy and people are desperate, kinda thinking stuff like this is going to be more commonplace. Pleasently surprized it works so well.

my old crit bike had full athena 11 with 105 cranks and chainrings. had to do some mutant barrel adjuster work to get it all happy but i got a few podiums on it anyway

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2429 on: September 22, 2021, 01:09:17 PM »

my roommate and i were both bike mechanics at one point and did this all the time for friends and even some customers (off the books). For shifters and mechs all that really matters is that one click of the shifter rachet will pull/release enough cable to allow the mech to move the proper distance. Without even disassembling things and becoming armchair engineers we simply took whatever shift levers we could get and tested every mix and match you can think of since 1 lever from 1 company should work with all their groups (and thus others) the same. Saved people a lot of money when we could replace their shifters with parts from co-ops, salvages, or eBay versus ordering the new matching part from a retailer.