Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304767 times)

323-BALM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
Re: bikes
« Reply #2730 on: August 06, 2022, 06:38:45 PM »
Mechanical discs < rim brakes < hydraulic discs

You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2731 on: August 07, 2022, 08:19:41 AM »
just finished up a restoration (like 99%, i need a new link wire for the front brake) on this bike we've had hanging in our garage forever. mix of new parts, existing parts and stuff i had sitting around. also new paint, which i regretted having to do immediately after i sanded it. a lot of work and i already have scratches going down to the primer, even with that super toxic clear coat made for cars. it's a very comfy ride though and i guess that's all that matters.

Vintage high end hybrids are gonna be the next vintage MTB, you can mark my words. They have all the same advantages that an old Trek has, with the bonus of being 700c meaning you can actually get modern tire and rims. People are going to be slapping 1x groups, v-brakes, front baskets on their old Specialized Crossroads, and outfitting them with all the proper Swift bags.

This bike looks rad.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #2732 on: August 08, 2022, 10:16:59 AM »
anyone into mountain bikes? I went for the first time last weekend(I've done downhill once before as a kid but never rode up anything) and damn I was huffin and puffin the whole time while also frying in the the sun. when I took off my helmet I think a literal cup of sweat splashed on the ground lmao. Riding downhill was also intense as hell. The whole experience was super humbling but fun

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1083
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2733 on: August 08, 2022, 10:39:37 AM »
anyone into mountain bikes? I went for the first time last weekend(I've done downhill once before as a kid but never rode up anything) and damn I was huffin and puffin the whole time while also frying in the the sun. when I took off my helmet I think a literal cup of sweat splashed on the ground lmao. Riding downhill was also intense as hell. The whole experience was super humbling but fun

I like MTB but this is my same issue, the climbs are always brutal and they're always at the beginning of your ride. It feels good to "earn' your downhills, but fuck does it hurt. There aren't any trails near me so for the time being, I'll continue being primarily road...

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2734 on: August 08, 2022, 10:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like MTB but this is my same issue, the climbs are always brutal and they're always at the beginning of your ride. It feels good to "earn' your downhills, but fuck does it hurt. There aren't any trails near me so for the time being, I'll continue being primarily road...

yeah, its a rough way start with no warm up. I think next time I will park farther from the trail head and warm up the legs a bit before getting right into a climb haha

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2735 on: August 08, 2022, 10:57:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah, its a rough way start with no warm up. I think next time I will park farther from the trail head and warm up the legs a bit before getting right into a climb haha

Yeah, I always think I'm going to do this.....then I don't. And honestly, most of the mountain biking I do is at events that I attend for work and usually a free lift pass is part of the perks, so who needs to climb anyway.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2736 on: August 09, 2022, 07:55:58 AM »
I ride a hardtail. I used to ride and race mountain bikes all the time, but stopped when I moved to a more urban area where it takes 45-60 minutes to get to a trailhead. That said, I went riding with my mountain bike homies this weekend out in a small town PNW mountain bike haven and had a blast, as always. Despite having overall better fitness than the group, I am in terrible riding shape and have only logged probably 4-5 hours on my mountain bike in the two years I have owned it. I keep thinking I should invest in some better mtb shorts and a nicer (non-road) helmet, but the reality is that I probably won’t be on that bike again until fall.

Everyone should do it, if it interests them, and especially if you have friends to ride with. I think it’s important to keep interests diverse and something like mountain biking is a great way to develop some fitness you’ll never get skating. I don’t know about the rest of you, but in addition to frequently feeling burned out with skating, I must acknowledge that a day will come when I’m not going to able to skate at a relatively high level (for someone who sucks). It’s good to recruit other skills and talents in order to stay active and not fall into despair because you can’t or don’t want to skate. I know that I will lose my mind if I can’t be active in some way.

Lotta skaters getting into bikes lately. If you want to see what the top pros are riding, follow Golden Saddle on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg7jPmDPUCj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #2737 on: August 09, 2022, 07:59:50 AM »
I just picked up a 26" Cult BMX for a bit of cruising around once I'm done with skating for the day. Quite enjoying the alternative mode of transport that isn't a car... haven't had a push bike for about 12 years.

Definately a bit of an adjustment fitness wise, but hoping after a few rides my legs and back get into it.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2738 on: August 09, 2022, 08:04:41 AM »
I ride a hardtail. I used to ride and race mountain bikes all the time, but stopped when I moved to a more urban area where it takes 45-60 minutes to get to a trailhead. That said, I went riding with my mountain bike homies this weekend out in a small town PNW mountain bike haven and had a blast, as always. Despite having overall better fitness than the group, I am in terrible riding shape and have only logged probably 4-5 hours on my mountain bike in the two years I have owned it. I keep thinking I should invest in some better mtb shorts and a nicer (non-road) helmet, but the reality is that I probably won’t be on that bike again until fall.

Everyone should do it, if it interests them, and especially if you have friends to ride with. I think it’s important to keep interests diverse and something like mountain biking is a great way to develop some fitness you’ll never get skating. I don’t know about the rest of you, but in addition to frequently feeling burned out with skating, I must acknowledge that a day will come when I’m not going to able to skate at a relatively high level (for someone who sucks). It’s good to recruit other skills and talents in order to stay active and not fall into despair because you can’t or don’t want to skate. I know that I will lose my mind if I can’t be active in some way.

Lotta skaters getting into bikes lately. If you want to see what the top pros are riding, follow Golden Saddle on instagram.

The Golden Saddle guys are good people. Anyone coming through LA should cruise by if you’re interested in bikes.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2739 on: August 09, 2022, 09:05:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Golden Saddle guys are good people. Anyone coming through LA should cruise by if you’re interested in bikes.

Yeah, I know Kyle a bit through my brief stint in Indiana and my decade in the bike industry. In a sea of culture vultures, he was always the nicest and most legit bike nerd from that crowd.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2740 on: August 09, 2022, 09:07:59 AM »

this is why I've always rode my bike/surfed on the side(a lil ashamed to admit but I've gotten way more into surfing than skating the past couple of years due to repeated knee injury bullshit). I have to have some sort of physical outlet that exhausts me to stay sane lol

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2741 on: August 09, 2022, 09:17:57 AM »
most old heads in my city ride their bikes way more than their skateboard. and i ride my bike a lot more than my skateboard. i work a standing job 40 hours a week and there's just no energy to really skate a lot now that i'm at the tail end of my 30s. it's rather depressing to go out all sore and struggle just to skate an hour basic flatground without major pain. i can still bike around tho no problem. skating only makes sense on days off, and if i'm unlucky it's raining. my main skateboarding consists of pushing around, doing slappies, ollies and 180s. i don't even hit the parks anymore. too crowded. maybe if i could switch jobs to something less physical i'd have more energy to skate.

and then there's the fact that i have to bike to most spots anyway and i often end up just having too much fun riding my bike, so i just extend the ride and end up only biking through the city without ever skating.

i'm gonna have a few appointments regularily soon tho that will require me to skate haha. i agreed to teach park ettiquette and basics to the son of a friend who's just getting into skating.   

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2742 on: August 09, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is why I've always rode my bike/surfed on the side(a lil ashamed to admit but I've gotten way more into surfing than skating the past couple of years due to repeated knee injury bullshit). I have to have some sort of physical outlet that exhausts me to stay sane lol

Man that’s nothing to be ashamed of. Maybe it’s because I can’t do it, but I always thought that surfing is the only thing which outranks skating in coolness. I know Arto says that, if he had discovered surfing first, he would probably have never taken up skateboarding. Surfing is the mother sport, so doing it more than skating is just returning to our roots.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2743 on: August 09, 2022, 09:24:36 AM »
and then there's the fact that i have to bike to most spots anyway and i often end up just having too much fun riding my bike, so i just extend the ride and end up only biking through the city without ever skating.

This has happened to me a few times lately. I’lol be burning with energy, thinking I should go skate and either I skate and it sucks and I think “go home and get your bike,” or I’m riding my bike to a spot and I get there and think “what am I even doing? Just keep riding!”

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2744 on: August 09, 2022, 09:31:55 AM »
funny to hear you dudes say that, im 100% the opposite. was messengering and then racing criteriums after that and after covid went back to skating 90% with the other split between bike commuting and mtb

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2745 on: August 09, 2022, 09:41:31 AM »
funny to hear you dudes say that, im 100% the opposite. was messengering and then racing criteriums after that and after covid went back to skating 90% with the other split between bike commuting and mtb

Well yeah, I was the same way from like 25-34 or so, all bikes. I would only skate if someone invited me out and even then I often had a race or a ride planned. I’m probably 75% skating now, but happy to have the 25% of hiking, walking and bike riding.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2746 on: August 09, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »

yeah, i decided i have to skate to the spots like in the old days. it's also good as a warm up. it's dusk now and i'm about to push around a bit. i can imagine that if i was riding my bike this much before it wouldn't be as fun or interesting to me. i actually took down the opportunity to work as a bike messenger although i really wanted to be a super cool bike messenger guy, because before that working in a skateshop and being too immersed killed off the desire to be around skaters in me, and that is the main reason i want to avoid crowded spots. and every spot seems crowded. but i still want to skate. it just takes alot of work and willpower nowadays. i was also a hardcore i skate everywhere for hours, fuck it, sleep/pass out in the bowl, feeling naked without my board, annoying friends bringing my board and skating everywhere no matter how inappropiate, hating people who i thought rode their bikes too much(lol) instead of skating, hellride style you only see me with my board or not type of person for all my twenties into my 30s. once you stop doing it in that intensity it's hard to come back somehow. it feels like i don't do it justice if i just skate casually. i feel like i need to dedicate to it properly or not at all. i don't know... it hurts more but doesn't feel better when it works. i don't know.

alright i gotta head out anyway and i'm gonna take my board this time and not my bike.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:04:07 PM by Frank »

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #2747 on: August 10, 2022, 06:13:05 PM »
https://postimg.cc/9r0hf6XS

Been avoiding this thread for a long time out of emotional turmoil. I raced the mega avalanche in 2014 and then got absolutely rekt later that year practicing for the Canada cup DH at crankworx. Broke my leg and got permanent damage to my ocularmotor system, messed up my eyes ability to work together for binocular vision. Never thought I would ride again, but I think I was just being a little bitch. I follow this thread religiously and you guys are all stoked it gets me itching to at least see. Went down to the storage locker and dusted off the cobwebs. Going to finally go for a ride tomorrow, it’s been enough time. Nervous, but stoked.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 02:43:38 AM by Complements4U »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #2748 on: August 11, 2022, 05:46:58 AM »

Been avoiding this thread for a long time out of emotional turmoil. I raced the mega avalanche in 2014 and then got absolutely rekt later that year practicing for the Canada cup DH at crankworx. Broke my leg and got permanent damage to my ocularmotor system, messed up my eyes ability to work together for binocular vision. Never thought I would ride again, but I think I was just being a little bitch. I follow this thread religiously and you guys are all stoked it gets me itching to at least see. Went down to the storage locker and dusted off the cobwebs. Going to finally go for a ride tomorrow, it’s been enough time. Nervous, but stoked.

!!! I knew you were good, but I didn't know you are THAT good! Be safe out there friend.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2749 on: August 11, 2022, 08:33:10 AM »

That’s a huge bummer but congrats for getting back on the horse. The videos of those Mega Avalanche races are absolutely fucking wild. Looks like the time of your life.

This reminds me of the fact that I got WAY more fucked up riding and racing bikes than I ever did skateboarding, although I would say I was a better bike racer than I am a skateboarder.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #2750 on: August 15, 2022, 10:48:48 AM »
Took the plunge and bought my first real bike as an adult. 2019 Jamis Beatnik. Looking forward after 10+ years of walking/public transit and living in a city.

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2751 on: August 20, 2022, 10:41:12 AM »

Do you hear that starting line song in your sleep?

I’d love to ride a megavalanche course…in practice. Bike racing has entirely too much pedaling—in all forms!
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2752 on: August 21, 2022, 07:06:54 PM »
New bike.  Late 80s Peugeot, stripped and left raw, new fork, headset, Deore RD, 11-42 cassette, 36t NW chainring on my old XT cranks, IRD pedals, VO Granola bars, VO rack, Wald basket, Alfine dyno front wheel, Brooks C19. 

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2753 on: August 21, 2022, 08:05:04 PM »
I’d like to get wider tires for my bike w/o getting new rims. My current bike runs 700x28. Anyway to push that to 32? How would I know?

https://www.sebikes.com/collections/urban-series/products/2021-lager

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2754 on: August 21, 2022, 08:21:34 PM »
You'll be fine on 32s and you'll have a comfier ride. Do it.

If in doubt read the specs on the frameset description  and those rims will fit 32s no worries.

The only thing is getting inflated 32s through those brakes. You might have to mount the wheel and then pump up your tire depending on how your brakes are set up. This is a bit of an issue for me on my Steamroller but really no big deal.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2755 on: August 21, 2022, 08:55:49 PM »
your fork crown also might not
have clearance for a bigger tire than it’s spec’d with, especially on the cheap taiwan single speeds that the market is flush with- id ask a shop before placing any orders

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2756 on: August 22, 2022, 07:06:51 AM »
New bike.  Late 80s Peugeot, stripped and left raw, new fork, headset, Deore RD, 11-42 cassette, 36t NW chainring on my old XT cranks, IRD pedals, VO Granola bars, VO rack, Wald basket, Alfine dyno front wheel, Brooks C19. 

This thing is sick! Are you concerned about the raw steel rusting at all?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2757 on: August 22, 2022, 07:13:29 AM »
I’d like to get wider tires for my bike w/o getting new rims. My current bike runs 700x28. Anyway to push that to 32? How would I know?

https://www.sebikes.com/collections/urban-series/products/2021-lager

do you have the 28s on? maybe you could measure how much free space you have? if you have 3mm space on each side i guess you should be fine. have some space upwards towards the crown, too. take slight wheel wobble into account.

don't think you would need new rims since most rims take tires way wider than they look.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2758 on: August 22, 2022, 08:02:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This thing is sick! Are you concerned about the raw steel rusting at all?

Thanks! 

Not really.  I hit it with a light clearcoat after a few days of "curating" some color, but that probably won't last long on unprepped bare metal.  If it rusts it rusts, but it wouldn't be anything more than surface rust.  I don't live in a cold snowy climate with lots of salt on the road.  Though even if I did and the frame actually rusted through I could just swap it with another $20 frame.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2759 on: August 22, 2022, 08:20:44 AM »
Thanks guys.

I just stuck my index finger between the front fork and the tire (28) and I can almost get my finger to fit all the way through. I am measuring about 5/8” from top of tire to metal so I am thinking there should be enough clearance to add a 700 x 32 tire.