Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304719 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: bikes
« Reply #2760 on: August 22, 2022, 09:40:27 AM »
@GardenSkater77 's frame is spec'd for "wide tires" whatever that means but it must mean wider than 28s.

surprised it doesn't come stock with wider tires in this day and age.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2761 on: August 22, 2022, 05:05:30 PM »
I’d like to get wider tires for my bike w/o getting new rims. My current bike runs 700x28. Anyway to push that to 32? How would I know?

https://www.sebikes.com/collections/urban-series/products/2021-lager

The issue is not the rims, it’s the clearance on the frame and fork. I’d look up what other people say is the max clearance on the Lager and go from that, but I would not be surprised if it’s 28. You can also reach out to SE and see what they say - you won’t be the first person to have asked them.

Tire widths vary depending on the rim to which they’re mounted and the maker of the tire - it’s wildly inconsistent. Sometimes the only way to tell is to mock it up - mount a tire and see if it fits. Buy it from a place that takes returns though.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2762 on: August 22, 2022, 05:06:02 PM »
New bike.  Late 80s Peugeot, stripped and left raw, new fork, headset, Deore RD, 11-42 cassette, 36t NW chainring on my old XT cranks, IRD pedals, VO Granola bars, VO rack, Wald basket, Alfine dyno front wheel, Brooks C19. 

Nailed it.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2763 on: August 22, 2022, 05:59:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I’d like to get wider tires for my bike w/o getting new rims. My current bike runs 700x28. Anyway to push that to 32? How would I know?

https://www.sebikes.com/collections/urban-series/products/2021-lager
[close]

The issue is not the rims, it’s the clearance on the frame and fork. I’d look up what other people say is the max clearance on the Lager and go from that, but I would not be surprised if it’s 28. You can also reach out to SE and see what they say - you won’t be the first person to have asked them.

Tire widths vary depending on the rim to which they’re mounted and the maker of the tire - it’s wildly inconsistent. Sometimes the only way to tell is to mock it up - mount a tire and see if it fits. Buy it from a place that takes returns though.

This is pretty sound advice and I’m surprised I didn’t think to do this first.

Sending an email…

Skibb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2764 on: August 23, 2022, 01:07:21 AM »
New bike.  Late 80s Peugeot, stripped and left raw, new fork, headset, Deore RD, 11-42 cassette, 36t NW chainring on my old XT cranks, IRD pedals, VO Granola bars, VO rack, Wald basket, Alfine dyno front wheel, Brooks C19. 

Textbook restomod, nice one dude.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2765 on: August 23, 2022, 06:14:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This thing is sick! Are you concerned about the raw steel rusting at all?
[close]

Thanks! 

Not really.  I hit it with a light clearcoat after a few days of "curating" some color, but that probably won't last long on unprepped bare metal.  If it rusts it rusts, but it wouldn't be anything more than surface rust.  I don't live in a cold snowy climate with lots of salt on the road.  Though even if I did and the frame actually rusted through I could just swap it with another $20 frame.

Gotcha. One thing that can help is periodically rubbing it down with WD40

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2766 on: August 23, 2022, 06:22:14 AM »
This is the response I received from SE Bikes:

Hey GS77

Thanks so much for reaching out to SE Bikes! You can certainly put on a set of wider tires. The Lager has clearance for tires up to 700 x 40mm. Hope this information helps.

Ride on,

SE Bikes
BikeCo, LLC.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2767 on: August 23, 2022, 09:01:23 AM »
That's what I thought. They clearly said in the spec sheet, fits 'wide tires' but why they didn't put a number on it is silly. Anyway, go get some 32s.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #2768 on: September 08, 2022, 01:48:04 AM »
I just ordered a bunch of cheap parts to make up a cheap rain/town bmx. I love building bikes and this was a hunt to find the cheapest new parts I could and it actually is gonna be a decent bike. I'd never leave either of my S&M bikes locked up anywhere and they are both brakeless so not fun in the rain.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2769 on: September 15, 2022, 06:20:07 AM »
our big dawg louie, and Ben Chadourne, cruising on catalina with crust

https://youtu.be/l9vonGvCy7U

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #2770 on: September 15, 2022, 05:43:24 PM »
Does anyone have experience with a blown out bearing on rear wheel hub for a coaster brake bike?
I recently had my wheel lock up and notice the bearing was protruding out.
When taken apart, it was all bent and obviously needs to be replaced as the balls were no longer encased.
Appreciate any help or experiences someone had with this.
Bike is a Schwinn Stringray.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #2771 on: September 15, 2022, 06:54:51 PM »
Does anyone have experience with a blown out bearing on rear wheel hub for a coaster brake bike?
When taken apart, it was all bent and obviously needs to be replaced as the balls were no longer encased.

Is it a vintage Stingray made before Pacific Cycle bought Schwinn? If so it has a loose ball bearing hub. Check to see if the races are damaged (which they probably are given what you described), if not replace the ball bearings with new grease and preload the bearings then tighten up the axel. If the races are damaged replace the hub.

Probably most convenient to buy a new wheel or go to a bike shop and have them deal with it though.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2772 on: September 15, 2022, 09:08:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it a vintage Stingray made before Pacific Cycle bought Schwinn? If so it has a loose ball bearing hub. Check to see if the races are damaged (which they probably are given what you described), if not replace the ball bearings with new grease and preload the bearings then tighten up the axel. If the races are damaged replace the hub.

Probably most convenient to buy a new wheel or go to a bike shop and have them deal with it though.

Exactly this. If it’s just a beater/cruiser and you aren’t too precious about it, a coaster brake wheel is probably $50-60? If you’re trying to keep it original…. Will be tougher

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #2773 on: September 18, 2022, 10:19:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Exactly this. If it’s just a beater/cruiser and you aren’t too precious about it, a coaster brake wheel is probably $50-60? If you’re trying to keep it original…. Will be tougher

Appreciate the help. It's not very old, maybe 2018. So I guess it's after Pacific Cycle took over. I took the hub apart and it wasn't loose balls. So guess I'll give replacing the bearing a shot.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2774 on: September 19, 2022, 09:24:21 AM »
It’s possible to repair older coaster break hubs but in my extensive experience as a mechanic, I have never seen a modern coaster hub which I would consider to be serviceable. I imagine the higher end ones you might find in the Netherlands are, but nothing sold on a department store bike is ever intended to be serviced or repaired. I am not trying to knock anyone’s bike, but the shitty reality is that most of those bikes are not intended to be used more than a handful of times before being disposed of.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2775 on: September 19, 2022, 11:46:38 AM »
also found this trash bike today, second time this summer i've had to walk home several miles with two bikes. kind of tempted to make this my next project.

update: the giant pukon has been saved

1x7 but more like 1x6 because the biggest cog is unusable, the chainline is just too extreme. also had a serious battle with the old crankset, i ended up having to take an angle grinder to the bb spindle. happy with how it turned out though, it's fun.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2776 on: September 19, 2022, 04:41:34 PM »
^

that looks so dope, great job!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2777 on: September 20, 2022, 11:04:26 AM »
Expand Quote
also found this trash bike today, second time this summer i've had to walk home several miles with two bikes. kind of tempted to make this my next project.

[close]

1x7 but more like 1x6 because the biggest cog is unusable, the chainline is just too extreme. also had a serious battle with the old crankset, i ended up having to take an angle grinder to the bb spindle. happy with how it turned out though, it's fun.

I just realized I could gnar so I gnarred this bike.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2778 on: September 21, 2022, 12:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I just realized I could gnar so I gnarred this bike.

Is that a profile mulville stem?

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #2779 on: September 21, 2022, 10:34:06 AM »
love my Hooligan!

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2780 on: September 21, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
no, it's a rant trill stem, i went cheap on all the components

i highly recommend a shitty mtb to bmx cruiser conversion

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2781 on: September 22, 2022, 04:11:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A cool. I don't need another bike.. I live in the flattest city in France so don't need gears, I daily my BMX to work.

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2782 on: September 22, 2022, 07:09:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
A cool. I don't need another bike.. I live in the flattest city in France so don't need gears, I daily my BMX to work.
that wasn't necessarily directed at you, more of a general statement because i've been having fun on that bike the past few days.
what are you riding?
i'm the last person who needs another bike, but i want a bmx, it's been like 10 years since i've owned one. either 22 or 24, leaning towards 24. i was pricing out building one but seems to be more cost effective to just buy a complete and replace parts later.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2783 on: September 22, 2022, 09:00:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
that wasn't necessarily directed at you, more of a general statement because i've been having fun on that bike the past few days.
what are you riding?
i'm the last person who needs another bike, but i want a bmx, it's been like 10 years since i've owned one. either 22 or 24, leaning towards 24. i was pricing out building one but seems to be more cost effective to just buy a complete and replace parts later.

S&M btm, 20.75 top tube, holder sky high bars and grips, pitchfork wide mouth forks, shredneck stem, 25 tooth drain man sprocket, stealth seat and long Johnson steam, speed ball tyres (2.4 up front and 2.1 in the back)
Odessey head set
United severance cranks 165mm
BSD pro Street wheel set (cassette with NASA rims) and pegs.

Its my first real pro bmx built it during the first lockdowns with my holiday money...

Yeah I got my mate a 24" cruiser he loves it. I would go 22" personally for a cruiser especially if you rode bmx in the past..but that said you can get up to 11" bars and any length of top tube you want in 20" now...look at Hoder he is what 6 foot 5 or something and still rides a 20"...

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2784 on: September 22, 2022, 12:30:34 PM »
New Tarmac SL7

Grabbed it last week and put a solid 100 miles on it over the last week and it's been a blast. First bike with electronic shifting and I don't see myself going back.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2785 on: September 22, 2022, 12:55:20 PM »
New Tarmac SL7

Grabbed it last week and put a solid 100 miles on it over the last week and it's been a blast. First bike with electronic shifting and I don't see myself going back.

Nice one. I'm selling my road bike currently and whatever I buy next is definitely going to have SRAM wireless.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2786 on: September 22, 2022, 02:34:51 PM »
you might be the first person i’ve ever met who’s planning on buying sram

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2787 on: September 22, 2022, 04:41:30 PM »
you might be the first person i’ve ever met who’s planning on buying sram

The AXS wireless shit works great, and it seems like they worked out the issues with the hydraulic brakes. SRAM is eating shimanos lunch when it comes to mtb spec too.

I had the original sram RED when it came out and it was good enough, shifting was hilariously loud and the brakes were sort of weak, but I didn't mind it

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #2788 on: September 22, 2022, 08:19:26 PM »
i prefer sram we're fighting bane wrady

Mother Goose.

« Reply #2789 on: September 22, 2022, 10:02:45 PM »