Author Topic: bikes  (Read 305724 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
Re: bikes
« Reply #2790 on: September 23, 2022, 02:04:34 AM »
you might be the first person i’ve ever met who’s planning on buying sram

You must have not been paying much attention lately because SRAM E-Tap is hugely popular and they basically own the MTB market since Shimano products are still dropping at a trickle. I still prefer both Shimano and mechanical shifting, but this is not the SRAM of 2012.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2791 on: September 23, 2022, 06:27:30 AM »
i haven’t been paying attention at all since i quit my bike shop job so that’s fair. if you prefer sram it’s cause you’ve never ridden good shimano/campy imo..  i’m also a mech shifting lifer. got to talk about my past life racing criteriums at work yesterday which was nice. don’t miss it though.

Yushin Okami

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #2792 on: September 23, 2022, 06:41:44 AM »
i haven’t been paying attention at all since i quit my bike shop job so that’s fair. if you prefer sram it’s cause you’ve never ridden good shimano/campy imo..  i’m also a mech shifting lifer. got to talk about my past life racing criteriums at work yesterday which was nice. don’t miss it though.

Admittedly, Ultegra is the highest level Shimano group set I've used and the last bike I had with Campy was a De Rosa frame from the 80s I built up with time relative components but I had the same hesitation switching over to SRAM (much less hesitation going from mechanical to electronic) but after testing riding bikes with both eTap and Di2 it was a no brainer for me. I don't see myself going back to Shimano.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2793 on: September 23, 2022, 07:59:59 AM »
I have had 105 2x and its great, cheap, reliable and durable, no issues at all, I have SRAM force etap 2x12 and its just awesome,  and I HAVE sram apex 1x11  on my gravel bike and i really like it. I don't see a huge jump in quality from one to the other, but I do like srams mechanical shifting style a little bit more but both are pretty awesome, in my opinion.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2794 on: September 23, 2022, 09:34:59 AM »

I'd say if you get the opportunity to try the etap stuff, go in with an open mind. I've ridden Campy Chorus and Record and tbh no hood shape will ever beat campy for me, and my current bike is Dura Ace Di2 which is obviously great as well but etap feels great and the shifting is super intuitive and the set up/maintenance is a breeze. It doesn't have many weaknesses.

Realistically, the higher end groups are all great, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other but SRAM does not lag behind the way they used to, if anything they leaped the competition and now Campy and Shimano seem sort of old fashioned

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #2795 on: September 23, 2022, 03:13:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is that a profile mulville stem?
[close]
no, it's a rant trill stem, i went cheap on all the components

i highly recommend a shitty mtb to bmx cruiser conversion
[close]
A cool. I don't need another bike.. I live in the flattest city in France so don't need gears, I daily my BMX to work.
[close]
that wasn't necessarily directed at you, more of a general statement because i've been having fun on that bike the past few days.
what are you riding?
i'm the last person who needs another bike, but i want a bmx, it's been like 10 years since i've owned one. either 22 or 24, leaning towards 24. i was pricing out building one but seems to be more cost effective to just buy a complete and replace parts later.
[close]

S&M btm, 20.75 top tube, holder sky high bars and grips, pitchfork wide mouth forks, shredneck stem, 25 tooth drain man sprocket, stealth seat and long Johnson steam, speed ball tyres (2.4 up front and 2.1 in the back)
Odessey head set
United severance cranks 165mm
BSD pro Street wheel set (cassette with NASA rims) and pegs.

Its my first real pro bmx built it during the first lockdowns with my holiday money...

Yeah I got my mate a 24" cruiser he loves it. I would go 22" personally for a cruiser especially if you rode bmx in the past..but that said you can get up to 11" bars and any length of top tube you want in 20" now...look at Hoder he is what 6 foot 5 or something and still rides a 20"...
that's a really nice build, an S&M steel panther frame was part of my dream build when i was piecing one together recently.
i was having hard time going back and forth between 22 and 24, but just pulled the trigger on a 24" dk helio, seems pretty decent for the price and there's no parts on it i would want to replace right away. my current hopping around bike is a 26" hardtail mtb, so the 24" will be a nice change coming from that.

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2796 on: October 01, 2022, 02:49:26 AM »
Has anyone experienced knee pain? I remember experiencing pain on both knees when I was pushing myself and after a ride. I adjusted my seat (increased height of the saddle, pushed it back) and now I only experience pain in the left knee while the right knee is okay.

This leads me to believe my legs are not compensated on some way (different muscle development, different flexibility), which seems plausible considering skating has been my only physical activity for years. Can anyone shed some light about how skating can affect bike riding? (I am goofy by the way)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 788
« Reply #2797 on: October 01, 2022, 07:06:51 AM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2798 on: October 01, 2022, 07:39:22 AM »

I used to feel the same way but even my first gen Eagle and eTap groups were great. Nothing will ever beat Shimano front shifting and my favorite mech group of all time was DA9000. I loved my Super Record group too and it was mainly SRAM mechanical I fucking hated especially the gen where the Force shift paddles would snap off. I raced Tour of the Battenkill on one that we had to split together with plastistik and a few metal cabinet plates we found at a hardware store in Vermont because my shit broke pre riding the course.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #2799 on: October 20, 2022, 12:19:37 PM »
I’m back in the game.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2800 on: October 20, 2022, 03:34:56 PM »
I’m back in the game.

Trying to get back for a big ride my homies have planned for next summer. Still getting over Covid though and wildfire smoke isn’t helping but I’m confident I can get back there.

Apparently they want to do this route. https://evergreengravelracing.wordpress.com/the-dark-divide-300/

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2801 on: October 20, 2022, 06:11:02 PM »

Picked this up from that accidental sale on Chane.com last week. Haven’t had a fixy in a while but couldn’t pass it up at $300 delivered. Needs a couple of parts swapped and MIGHT rebuild the wheels with some wider rims (thinking H+Son archetypes). Should be fun for getting to and from the train station

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2802 on: November 14, 2022, 03:15:59 PM »

Here's ma Bridgestone track 🙂

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2803 on: November 15, 2022, 06:41:58 AM »
I had an NJS frame just like that back in ~05 or so. Such a fun bike!

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2804 on: November 15, 2022, 08:33:48 AM »
Just wanna say, shout out bikes in general.

Moves to a smaller city last year and didn’t know anyone. Spent all last summer riding solo, which I do enjoy but it’s hard to motivate yourself sometimes to get out of your comfort zone.

This year linked up with a casual morning cycling group. Mostly people my age, good diversity of people and abilities. The rides are pretty mellow, but most people are down to ride other times during the week on some longer and faster routes. Made a couple friends and a lot of acquaintances.

Thank you bikes.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2805 on: November 15, 2022, 09:27:37 AM »

Moves to a smaller city last year and didn’t know anyone. Spent all last summer riding solo, which I do enjoy but it’s hard to motivate yourself sometimes to get out of your comfort zone.

This year linked up with a casual morning cycling group. Mostly people my age, good diversity of people and abilities. The rides are pretty mellow, but most people are down to ride other times during the week on some longer and faster routes. Made a couple friends and a lot of acquaintances.

Thank you bikes.

Damn. Bikes are tight.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2806 on: November 15, 2022, 09:53:50 AM »

Thank you bikes.

Yeah, bikes are a great way to meet people. Nearly all of the close friends I've made as an adult, I have made through cycling, more so than skating for sure. Also if you're looking to meet a member of the opposite sex, there are often lots of them riding bikes and they're usually in great shape.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #2807 on: November 15, 2022, 08:25:15 PM »
this winter will be the first year i think i'll miss bikes over skating. over the last year fixing bikes became something for me to turn to while in the throes of anxiety and depression, maybe just a distraction but it helped immensely. i'll miss my daily morning rides alongside the train tracks with sakura streakers and riding all over the neighborhood with my daughter in the trailer while the sun is setting. and i just have to admit, ever since i got a 24" bmx a couple months ago i have barely touched my skateboard. the bmx fulfills any feeling i look for in skating, and more. going fast, hopping up and down curbs, hitting any bump. feels weird to say, because skating was always my #1 fun feeling thing.
anyways.
Thank you bikes.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2808 on: November 16, 2022, 09:08:40 AM »
cause i’m about to be neck deep in PT i’m about to start ruling the trails around my house again. lookin forward to some chill pedaling after a year of skating hard

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #2809 on: November 16, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »
Thinking about getting an e-bike. Is that a no no for the true cycle heads?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #2810 on: November 16, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »
Unless you are over 65 or injured. Just say no to electric bikes.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2811 on: November 16, 2022, 03:56:58 PM »

nah that's gatekeeper bullshit. if you want to commute around town and get groceries, hell yeah get an ebike. Don't show up to a road group ride with one, but otherwise let it rip. I ride an ebike to work and it's great.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2812 on: November 17, 2022, 01:39:03 PM »

They're great. I don't own one but I live somewhere where they are very popular, and seeing how many people use them daily in lieu of an automobile has made me an e-bike maximalist. If we were remotely serious about climate change, the government would be mailing them to every home in America.

My pet policy is that you should be able to trade in your old car for a free e-bike.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2813 on: November 17, 2022, 01:47:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're great. I don't own one but I live somewhere where they are very popular, and seeing how many people use them daily in lieu of an automobile has made me an e-bike maximalist. If we were remotely serious about climate change, the government would be mailing them to every home in America.

My pet policy is that you should be able to trade in your old car for a free e-bike.

Yeah and to this point, a lot of states/municipalities are beginnign to offer rebates on ebike purchases, so definitely look into that if you're considering purchasing. I know next year in California you can potentially get a $750-1500 rebate if you qualify.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 788
« Reply #2814 on: November 19, 2022, 06:27:34 AM »
The amount of green washing over e-bike, scooters, cars etc is insane. The batteries are horrible. I look at e bikes the same way I look at electric skateboards. Biking keeps you in shape, and in my case I love jumping off curbs and going as fast as possible, it actually makes the commute to work fun.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2815 on: November 19, 2022, 08:04:43 AM »
E bikes are sick af. They get more people out riding, and that is great
Although I have run into a few dads on electric bikes looking for a sprint throw down while I am out on my road or gravel bike.
Last summer I passed a family on a paved bike path and the father blew past me on his electric mountain bike, full gas. Only for me to pass him a few hundred meters later when his battery died or maxed out and he was gasping for air
I can imagine how annoyed the family was

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2816 on: November 19, 2022, 08:11:05 AM »
The amount of green washing over e-bike, scooters, cars etc is insane. The batteries are horrible. I look at e bikes the same way I look at electric skateboards. Biking keeps you in shape, and in my case I love jumping off curbs and going as fast as possible, it actually makes the commute to work fun.

i agree. also, too many smug boomers overtake me too easily with these things, thinking they are super badass. i can feel their disrespect and judgement, seeing my run down, mechanical components bike whose bottom bracket clicks offensively loud. and i'm happy those old fucks can still get on a bike at all, but they need to just chill with those wild ass maneuvers. this also goes for parents riding a family cargo e-bike with their kids in the front. i'm often baffled how much they haul ass with complete disregard to whoever they might share the sidewalk or road with. especially since they have their kids loaded up in the front more often than not, which would make me extra cautious of going too fast, since they will be the first to take whatever impact these parents run their bike into. when i see one of these coming my way they often have that "get out of my way motherfucker" stare. this is regardless of if they are a mom or dad.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2817 on: November 19, 2022, 08:29:24 AM »

Derisible statement. If these things replace a fraction of automobile trips, the net benefit is incalculable.

Once again, if we want to seriously deal with climate change and the environmental damage wrought by automobiles and the infrastructure built for them, we should be shooting e-bikes of a cannon.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2818 on: November 19, 2022, 08:29:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i agree. also, too many smug boomers overtake me too easily with these things, thinking they are super badass. i can feel their disrespect and judgement, seeing my run down, mechanical components bike whose bottom bracket clicks offensively loud. and i'm happy those old fucks can still get on a bike at all, but they need to just chill with those wild ass maneuvers. this also goes for parents riding a family cargo e-bike with their kids in the front. i'm often baffled how much they haul ass with complete disregard to whoever they might share the sidewalk or road with. especially since they have their kids loaded up in the front more often than not, which would make me extra cautious of going too fast, since they will be the first to take whatever impact these parents run their bike into. when i see one of these coming my way they often have that "get out of my way motherfucker" stare. this is regardless of if they are a mom or dad.

Reads like copypasta.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2819 on: November 19, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Reads like copypasta.

yeah i could see that, lol. i took the piss on boomers a little for sure. the parents thing is absolutely real and legit scares me sometimes. they often ride their bikes with this entitlement that because they carry kids, people actually have to look out for them instead of the other way around, even tho them going this fast gives no pedestrian or even other bikers really the chance to react to anything. they also love to ghostride the wrong way. i don't say shit anymore to them because when you say something like yo it's dangerous to ride like that they will simply say they have kids and anything you say to them because it usually gets treated as a personal attack. i don't want to tell anyone how to raise their kids, if they crash their cargo bikes into a wall turning their spawn into pulp, that's on them, but they should also consider other people in traffic.