Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304716 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
Re: bikes
« Reply #2820 on: November 19, 2022, 10:31:10 AM »
Expand Quote
The amount of green washing over e-bike, scooters, cars etc is insane. The batteries are horrible. I look at e bikes the same way I look at electric skateboards. Biking keeps you in shape, and in my case I love jumping off curbs and going as fast as possible, it actually makes the commute to work fun.
[close]

Derisible statement. If these things replace a fraction of automobile trips, the net benefit is incalculable.

Once again, if we want to seriously deal with climate change and the environmental damage wrought by automobiles and the infrastructure built for them, we should be shooting e-bikes of a cannon.

I think if they tried to promote using normal bikes it would be better overall. Like let's admit there is way too many over weight people, normal bikes last for ever, like I literally was cruising around on a 1987 bmx today.  I saw NYC is thinking about banning the resell of ebikes and there has been 200 fires from them/scooters this year alone.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/nov/14/new-york-e-bike-batteries-fires-delivery-workers

The city I live in has been reducing parking places, removing lanes of roads for bike lanes and there is a dirt cheap bike rental thing here that alot of students and visiters use. Also car sharing is taking off lots of my mates use it for when you really need a car for whatever. When there is a peak of pollution certain cars/trucks etc are not allowed to be used.

Remember where the electricity is coming from to charge those batteries as well.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2821 on: November 19, 2022, 11:25:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The amount of green washing over e-bike, scooters, cars etc is insane. The batteries are horrible. I look at e bikes the same way I look at electric skateboards. Biking keeps you in shape, and in my case I love jumping off curbs and going as fast as possible, it actually makes the commute to work fun.
[close]

Derisible statement. If these things replace a fraction of automobile trips, the net benefit is incalculable.

Once again, if we want to seriously deal with climate change and the environmental damage wrought by automobiles and the infrastructure built for them, we should be shooting e-bikes of a cannon.
[close]

I think if they tried to promote using normal bikes it would be better overall. Like let's admit there is way too many over weight people, normal bikes last for ever, like I literally was cruising around on a 1987 bmx today.  I saw NYC is thinking about banning the resell of ebikes and there has been 200 fires from them/scooters this year alone.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/nov/14/new-york-e-bike-batteries-fires-delivery-workers

The city I live in has been reducing parking places, removing lanes of roads for bike lanes and there is a dirt cheap bike rental thing here that alot of students and visiters use. Also car sharing is taking off lots of my mates use it for when you really need a car for whatever. When there is a peak of pollution certain cars/trucks etc are not allowed to be used.

Remember where the electricity is coming from to charge those batteries as well.

In a perfect world, yes we would all be riding acoustic bikes and roads would be closed to auto traffic (especially in city centers), we'd have separate bike infrastructure, robust public transport, we'd all live less than 5 miles from out jobs etc etc. Unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in, ESPECIALLY in the US. I think in Europe it's slightly different depending on the city/country, but in the US if it's the difference between someone driving a Ford F-150 truck or an ebike, it's a no brainer.

Are lithium mines bad? Yeah of course. Does our electricity come from fossil fuels as well? Yes (for now). But to equate an ebike battery and charging it to driving a car is just a false equivalence. and as skateboarders we don't really have a leg to stand on if you want to take the extreme eco-warrior position. no ethical consumption under capitalism.

People are just trying to make the best decisions based on what's available to them, and it's silly to argue that actually e-bikes are bad and net negative. It's the same as saying "well people still die wearing seatbelts so might as well not wear them"

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2822 on: November 19, 2022, 11:41:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

In a perfect world, yes we would all be riding acoustic bikes and roads would be closed to auto traffic (especially in city centers), we'd have separate bike infrastructure, robust public transport, we'd all live less than 5 miles from out jobs etc etc. Unfortunately, that isn't the world we live in, ESPECIALLY in the US. I think in Europe it's slightly different depending on the city/country, but in the US if it's the difference between someone driving a Ford F-150 truck or an ebike, it's a no brainer.

Are lithium mines bad? Yeah of course. Does our electricity come from fossil fuels as well? Yes (for now). But to equate an ebike battery and charging it to driving a car is just a false equivalence. and as skateboarders we don't really have a leg to stand on if you want to take the extreme eco-warrior position. no ethical consumption under capitalism.

People are just trying to make the best decisions based on what's available to them, and it's silly to argue that actually e-bikes are bad and net negative. It's the same as saying "well people still die wearing seatbelts so might as well not wear them"

Sorry yeah it's definitely different here in France. But I can't see your average pick-up truck driver quitting his truck for an e-bike unless there is stuff like here going on. We need a more general "cop the fuck on" for the sake of the planet and if that was to happen e-bikes etc wouldn't be part of the solution.

It's like some count driving at diesel pick-up truck but saving some cash for his new born's college fund.

Anyways I hope you have a good Saturday dude

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2823 on: November 19, 2022, 01:14:47 PM »
I feel so bad for people that have to drive cars to go to work
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #2824 on: November 19, 2022, 01:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Normal bikes are often difficult to ride, and in cities like Seattle, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, etc., they can be nearly impossible with all the hills, unless you are in excellent shape, and even then you're arriving at your destination in a sweaty mess. Most people don't want to do this, and the alternative is A) nearly non-existent public transit, B) private automobiles. The purpose of cycling for many riders is just to get from point-a to point-b. And who cares if they lose weight or not? That's not my problem and the issue is absolutely immaterial to the subject.

What you describe happening in New York is a regulatory problem, not a problem with electric bikes. Most electric bikes don't catch fire, but the cheap conversion kits and $500 Alibaba e-bikes are an issue which regulators should address.

Of course the power comes from power plants, but it's still a tiny fraction of the energy required to power an car, so who cares?  The fact is that there is absolutely no downside to electric bikes when weighed against the alternative of more automobiles, period.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2825 on: November 19, 2022, 01:34:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry yeah it's definitely different here in France. But I can't see your average pick-up truck driver quitting his truck for an e-bike unless there is stuff like here going on. We need a more general "cop the fuck on" for the sake of the planet and if that was to happen e-bikes etc wouldn't be part of the solution.

Just because you're not going to convince every asshole with a 6 ton pickup truck to ride an e-bike, does not dismiss the use of e-bikes generally.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2826 on: November 19, 2022, 04:30:31 PM »
Yeah sorry probably public transport is better here also,like we got decent trams and a good bus network (that is legally subsidized by your work),
 like I literally can take a bus from about a five minute walk that  will take me up 1500m to a resort to snowboard.
Sorry I guess it's really different back in North America.

Let's just go back to enjoying bikes.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2827 on: November 19, 2022, 05:58:53 PM »
Yeah sorry probably public transport is better here also,like we got decent trams and a good bus network (that is legally subsidized by your work),
 like I literally can take a bus from about a five minute walk that  will take me up 1500m to a resort to snowboard.

NYC has had problems with e bikes for at least 5 years now. NYC has bike lanes on most of the avenues and e bike delivery drivers were being charged with crashing into pedestrians. Whether the fears were overblown there is a long history of negative views on e bikes in Manhattan. So, news outlets in New York are always looking for negative stories about e bikes.

https://medium.com/reclaim-magazine/how-we-take-back-the-streets-75d47d8c8cd1

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2828 on: November 19, 2022, 06:42:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

NYC has had problems with e bikes for at least 5 years now. NYC has bike lanes on most of the avenues and e bike delivery drivers were being charged with crashing into pedestrians. Whether the fears were overblown there is a long history of negative views on e bikes in Manhattan. So, news outlets in New York are always looking for negative stories about e bikes.

https://medium.com/reclaim-magazine/how-we-take-back-the-streets-75d47d8c8cd1

Meanwhile if you’re in a car and kill a pedestrian in New York City, you likely won’t even receive a ticket. Shit is so backwards. If you want to kill someone in America, just do it behind the wheel of a car.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2829 on: November 20, 2022, 08:42:23 AM »

I am deeply jealous. I live in one of the few cities in North America with decent functional public transit, and what that means is that there's a bus which comes every like 15-25 minutes and there's a light rail network on the other side of town which is really too far away to be functionally useful for me to do anything other than go to the airport.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2830 on: November 20, 2022, 06:25:12 PM »
ebikes dont interest me personally because I have lived on a good train line in New York City my whole life. My relationship with bikes is way different than "car replacement" so I can't really take a side here. I would like to never own a car.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2831 on: November 23, 2022, 12:16:45 PM »
Anyone got good wind/water proof gloves for winter biking suggestions? Cheaper the better but something that will last. Was looking at rapha but €100 is a bit rich for me especially since I'm constantly losing shit

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2832 on: November 23, 2022, 01:47:27 PM »
Anyone got good wind/water proof gloves for winter biking suggestions? Cheaper the better but something that will last. Was looking at rapha but €100 is a bit rich for me especially since I'm constantly losing shit

If you can get Shower's Pass gloves where you are, those are my favorites. I am also a fan of pogies for bicycles with flat handlebars.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2833 on: November 24, 2022, 12:26:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you can get Shower's Pass gloves where you are, those are my favorites. I am also a fan of pogies for bicycles with flat handlebars.

Never heard of that brand (Shower's Pass) before, thanks thou! On first search they are coming from the UK but shipping is insane, will search around at lunch. Yeah no I need gloves, I'm on a bmx and stop at the market most mornings for fruit/veg.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2834 on: November 24, 2022, 10:58:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Never heard of that brand (Shower's Pass) before, thanks thou! On first search they are coming from the UK but shipping is insane, will search around at lunch. Yeah no I need gloves, I'm on a bmx and stop at the market most mornings for fruit/veg.
Where are you located? If you can't find showers pass i would recommend going to any big outdoor retailer to find good commuting gear. MEC in Canaduh has had lots of showers pass stuff whenever I've been in there. If you're in the US i'd assume they have it too or an equivalent brand. Also big stores will sometimes have their own in-house gear. My MEC rain pants are solid. The only thing I dislike about them is that I accidentally bought a women's pair and I also treat my commute like a mini workout so I get way too sweaty in them, so it's all my own fault  ;D

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2835 on: November 25, 2022, 02:55:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Where are you located? If you can't find showers pass i would recommend going to any big outdoor retailer to find good commuting gear. MEC in Canaduh has had lots of showers pass stuff whenever I've been in there. If you're in the US i'd assume they have it too or an equivalent brand. Also big stores will sometimes have their own in-house gear. My MEC rain pants are solid. The only thing I dislike about them is that I accidentally bought a women's pair and I also treat my commute like a mini workout so I get way too sweaty in them, so it's all my own fault  ;D

I'm in France, I owned a share of MEC (like everyone who shopped there back in the day) can't believe they sold it and didn't give us fucking anything.

Yeah I giver on my way to and from work, we got showers at work which is cool. We have Decathlon here there in house stuff is great but my hands are fucked from working on cars in winters in Canadah back in the day, if they get too cold I can't use them and they hurt for hours after....

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2836 on: November 27, 2022, 07:39:33 AM »
Anyone have some recommendations on bike YouTube channels or videos? I don’t really care for gear videos, more into cool trips and whatnot.

This is one of my favourites and will watch it a couple times a year. The concept, editing, filming and music is so well done. The pacing makes me think of a skate part.

https://youtu.be/lVbV4S_rJzo

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #2837 on: November 27, 2022, 07:32:46 PM »
Anyone have some recommendations on bike YouTube channels or videos? I don’t really care for gear videos, more into cool trips and whatnot.

This is one of my favourites and will watch it a couple times a year. The concept, editing, filming and music is so well done. The pacing makes me think of a skate part.

https://youtu.be/lVbV4S_rJzo
Wow what a gnarly ride. Their delivery made it pretty funny too but maybe I was just laughing at how ridiculous of an idea that is.
These are by far my favorites right here:
https://youtu.be/lAO7pGmZqLs
https://youtu.be/ytZhOvIx-SE
https://youtu.be/QmQ5YFZHgJE
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 07:50:56 PM by Hash Slinging Slasher »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2838 on: November 28, 2022, 08:40:43 AM »
This one isn't as beautifully edited, but I did this route a decade ago on the inaugural run and it's fun to look back at it now.

https://youtu.be/gs9lXoHlHM8

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2839 on: November 30, 2022, 10:20:59 AM »
strange man hops around classic skate spots:

https://youtu.be/jIBldkWO9a4
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2840 on: November 30, 2022, 12:10:44 PM »
strange man hops around classic skate spots:

https://youtu.be/jIBldkWO9a4

Love that dude. I've always held a special place for him since, at the time when his first video went mega-viral, he was like me - just a guy turning wrenches in a small shop.

freddiethreepwood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2841 on: December 01, 2022, 07:12:33 AM »
@síota 1987 bmx…
Sick sounding steed. Any pics?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2842 on: December 01, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »
@Síota 1987 bmx…
Sick sounding steed. Any pics?

I'll get some tomorrow. Left it in my office.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2843 on: December 10, 2022, 06:42:16 PM »
Fixed gear biker ripping down Manhattan…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODMPX4FCWXc

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2844 on: December 10, 2022, 07:46:37 PM »
Big fan of that channel. Really liked this one.

https://youtu.be/RbCzWRnKCaI

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2845 on: December 11, 2022, 07:10:36 AM »
I kind of can’t believe that people are still doing the fixed gear thing. I guess Instagram really gave it a new life. Imagine if that shit exists in ~06-10.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2846 on: December 11, 2022, 07:46:49 AM »
I kind of can’t believe that people are still doing the fixed gear thing. I guess Instagram really gave it a new life. Imagine if that shit exists in ~06-10.

I have a single speed bike that I could ‘flip’ and turn into a fixed gear. I really enjoy not having gears to worry about. One day I might try fixed gear but I enjoy taking breaks and just cruising. I think in Manhattan fixed gear is a rush. And going from uptown to downtown it’s mostly flat or slightly declined so no need to change gears unless your going for maximum efficiency or speed.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2847 on: December 11, 2022, 07:55:05 AM »
uptown to downtown is all on a slight decline, way uptown is hilly.

i worked as a courier in manhattan for 3yrs mostly on a track bike. it’s not that gnarly.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2848 on: December 11, 2022, 08:36:37 AM »

My commute to/from the train is only a couple of miles so I picked up a cheap fixie on sale to relive the old glory days, and it’s been fun but I definitely need the brakes now.

Insane looking back I was riding brakeless fixed around Los Angeles, no helmet

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2849 on: December 12, 2022, 08:20:46 AM »
I ride a track bike because I'm too stupid to service a shifter at home

edit: and it's fun. obviousness