Author Topic: bikes  (Read 304738 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bikes
« Reply #3060 on: March 08, 2023, 01:45:12 PM »
any of you mess with fat tire bikes?

there are a lot of sandy trails in my hometown and i've always struggled riding through them. it's also near a beach and it would be fun if i could ride on beach sand.

i think i might start looking for cheap ones on CL/FB soon, although they seem to be kind of a niche product

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3061 on: March 08, 2023, 02:03:56 PM »
any of you mess with fat tire bikes?

there are a lot of sandy trails in my hometown and i've always struggled riding through them. it's also near a beach and it would be fun if i could ride on beach sand.

i think i might start looking for cheap ones on CL/FB soon, although they seem to be kind of a niche product

I haven't tried it, but I really want to.  It's popular here in Vermont during the winter.  The only caveat I've heard is that it's really slow going compared to a normal cycling experience on firm ground.

My problem is I want a fattie and a hardtail MTB.  And I wonder if I can get an MTB with enough clearance for the fattest fucking MTB tires I can get that'll work decently enough on packed snowy trails.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3062 on: March 08, 2023, 03:04:31 PM »
Expand Quote
EU pals ok looking for a 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp. The light blue Stumpjumper from that year.
I think shipping from across the pond will be too expensive but open to look at it.
I raced 24h solo at a ski resort in Canada on mine and did well considering I did almost no training and was hungover lol. Not even sure what happened to the bike...
If anyone happens to see one hit me up. Think it was a 18" no clue thou I'm 173cm so prob that or 17"
[close]

post up on Retrobike......someone will have one. I could maybe help with shipping too

have you tried looking up german sites? specialized is super popular here. there is a good deal of old 90s mtbs or frames on the german used market usually. if you want i can check for you. just let me know.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #3063 on: March 09, 2023, 01:43:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
EU pals ok looking for a 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp. The light blue Stumpjumper from that year.
I think shipping from across the pond will be too expensive but open to look at it.
I raced 24h solo at a ski resort in Canada on mine and did well considering I did almost no training and was hungover lol. Not even sure what happened to the bike...
If anyone happens to see one hit me up. Think it was a 18" no clue thou I'm 173cm so prob that or 17"
[close]

post up on Retrobike......someone will have one. I could maybe help with shipping too
[close]

have you tried looking up german sites? specialized is super popular here. there is a good deal of old 90s mtbs or frames on the german used market usually. if you want i can check for you. just let me know.

Thanks Pals, no only just started looking the other day. It's not a rush. Started looking on FB market place, eBay and Leboncoin.

What site do you use in Germany?
Never heard of Retrobike will check it out later!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3064 on: March 09, 2023, 04:45:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks Pals, no only just started looking the other day. It's not a rush. Started looking on FB market place, eBay and Leboncoin.

ebay, or the other ebay we have, which is ebay-kleinanzeigen.de, which is mainly used stuff. both are pretty good for bike parts. when it comes to frames, most people are willing to ship as well.

some other sites:

www.pedalantrieb.de

www.bikebörse.de

www.velonest.de

www.secondbikelife.de

www.quoka.de (it's not bike specific, it's like kleinanzeigen)

i guess you could just search for your model there. most of these sites are german only unfortunately, but i guess you could at least navigate the search bar. if you want me to look for you, i can do that :)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3065 on: March 09, 2023, 06:55:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

ebay, or the other ebay we have, which is ebay-kleinanzeigen.de, which is mainly used stuff. both are pretty good for bike parts. when it comes to frames, most people are willing to ship as well.

some other sites:

www.pedalantrieb.de

www.bikebörse.de

www.velonest.de

www.secondbikelife.de

www.quoka.de (it's not bike specific, it's like kleinanzeigen)

i guess you could just search for your model there. most of these sites are german only unfortunately, but i guess you could at least navigate the search bar. if you want me to look for you, i can do that :)

Awesome thanks!

Edit: Got home to a €397 electric bill so bike hunt is on hold for a bit..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 08:52:34 AM by Síota »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3066 on: March 09, 2023, 12:26:14 PM »
dude, what? I'm getting 135€ per winter month heating a house with a heat pump and everything else

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3067 on: March 10, 2023, 01:20:24 AM »
dude, what? I'm getting 135€ per winter month heating a house with a heat pump and everything else

France dude, actually its a bill for 3 months so its similar to yours but I've got a 100 year old or something apartment on the top floor with electric heating/hot water.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3068 on: March 10, 2023, 10:07:17 AM »
My dad has a fat tire bike and I was able to borrow it this winter cus he had knee surgery. We get a lot of snow here and to be honest I found it very underwhelming. The conditions have to be perfect. It's not very good in fresh snow, wet snow, heavy snow, deep snow... basically anything except packed-down trails in cold conditions. In those conditions it's ok. We have a trail network where a lot of old guys ride on fat bikes so I've had some fun with that, but all the while I felt like my normal mountain bike would have fared just as well on that shit.

Maybe i need to give it another shot but I put studded tires on a dirt bike this season and that's way more fun so I've been riding that lol.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #3069 on: March 10, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »
My dad has a fat tire bike and I was able to borrow it this winter cus he had knee surgery. We get a lot of snow here and to be honest I found it very underwhelming. The conditions have to be perfect. It's not very good in fresh snow, wet snow, heavy snow, deep snow... basically anything except packed-down trails in cold conditions. In those conditions it's ok. We have a trail network where a lot of old guys ride on fat bikes so I've had some fun with that, but all the while I felt like my normal mountain bike would have fared just as well on that shit.

Yeah, everything has to be groomed and packed down really well, and with the right type of snow. Same thing with riding them on sand. I mean, it's possible to plod along on one, but it's deeply unpleasant unless the conditions are ideal.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #3070 on: March 10, 2023, 12:38:23 PM »
ok, thanks for the info. i think i'm gonna nix that idea unless i find a really cheap one used. sounds like it *might* be ok for the neighborhood trails, but riding on the beach will be pretty unpleasant

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #3071 on: March 10, 2023, 01:37:12 PM »
I borrowed a Pugsley from a shop when they first came out and took it on a trail ride for a couple hours.  It was fun riding a rigid bike that floated through rock gardens, but the wheels and tires had so much mass it tended to self-steer and I couldn't get used to it.  Maybe if I lived in the Upper Peninsula or Minnesota I'd want one for winter rides, but otherwise it just seems like a bad novelty.

2.8" Plus tires though, that's something I can get behind.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #3072 on: March 10, 2023, 04:50:26 PM »
yeah 27.5+ I feel is a good alternative

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3073 on: March 11, 2023, 09:01:41 PM »
Every fatbike I see here in Finland is e-bike…
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3074 on: March 12, 2023, 11:03:03 PM »
Anyone here have an “all-road” bike?

I’m eyeing one that’s labeled as a new take on an endurance bike. Relaxed geometry with 36mm tires for road and light trails.

Was curious, if you’re on one, how’s the feel in comparison to normal race geometry on 25/28mm wheels?

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3075 on: March 13, 2023, 07:20:59 AM »
After staring a a frame on Pinkbike for a long time I ordered it and a fork and am ready to start a singlespeed mtb build.
I have a bunch of parts from my old mtb to transfer but might need a couple of things.  now to figure out chainline and such

Esker Japhy Ti and Rockshox SID Ultimate

Andmoreagain

« Reply #3076 on: March 15, 2023, 03:02:52 PM »
Ooh man that's gonna be a fun bike. As for an 'all-road' bike-- never heard of it. Gravel bike rebrand?

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #3077 on: March 16, 2023, 05:42:30 AM »
during COVID times i fell into fixing up old bikes and selling them for enough to not inflate the used bike market but enough to pay the rent and fund this terrible addiction. starting to get more into building up some older bikes with better components as well. what a rabbit hole.

here's the daily ripper right now - it's one of these priority 3-speeds with a belt drive instead of a chain. honestly i'm a huge fan and it's pretty capable for the city and any bridges. threw some surly open bars on it as well and it's a super comfy stance. aluminum frame so it's pretty lightweight. i load it up constantly and it's a blast.

good come sausage

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3078 on: March 16, 2023, 06:12:23 AM »
super nice build!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3079 on: March 17, 2023, 12:42:55 PM »

Thought I waited out all the bad weather and of course it rained on me on my first ride. That being said, this thing is a ton of fucking fun and I'm so glad I got it. Still dialing in my fit but so far it's super stiff but very comfortable.

I think I'll probably upgrade to some carbon wheels and better tires because I have terminal road cyclist brain and i'd like to swap out the chainrings for a mid-compact because the cassette range is so wide, but otherwise I'm loving it.

bartlaser

« Reply #3080 on: March 17, 2023, 02:03:01 PM »
The difference in the last two posts/bikes is awesome.  Both fire bikes.

They should fuck and make a baby.

Edit:  shit, last three bikes.  can you mix all that bike sperm together and make the most universal bike ever?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3081 on: March 17, 2023, 05:33:01 PM »
That Pina is a lotta goddamn bike. Everything here looks cool. Everyone’s bike is cool. Good job, guys.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #3082 on: March 20, 2023, 11:19:21 AM »

Edit:  shit, last three bikes.  can you mix all that bike sperm together and make the most universal bike ever?

does this fit the bill?  My attempt at an all purpose ride......ATV.  Its called a Stooge Scrambler

bartlaser

« Reply #3083 on: March 20, 2023, 12:40:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

does this fit the bill?  My attempt at an all purpose ride......ATV.  Its called a Stooge Scrambler

Dang that thing looks buttery.  Split top tube is sick.  I wouldn't mind summertime booze cruisin' on that bad larry.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3084 on: March 29, 2023, 03:07:28 PM »
I saw that adidas was having a super sale, and bought myself some clearance. Five Tens flats for something like 75% off. Super excited to eat shit trying to bunny hop without being clipped in.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3085 on: March 29, 2023, 03:34:47 PM »
Put some risers, basket and a bell on the Bridgestone

Shorter basket legs are in the mail and should be here soon, the positioning with these long ass legs is whack

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqY8X5bvOI6/?igshid=OGRjNzg3M2Y=

Not pictured, white time atac aliums
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 03:53:06 PM by swongolianbbq »

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3086 on: March 30, 2023, 03:08:02 AM »
I saw that adidas was having a super sale, and bought myself some clearance. Five Tens flats for something like 75% off. Super excited to eat shit trying to bunny hop without being clipped in.
why would you eat shit trying to bunny hop on flats? bad technique from riding clipless?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3087 on: March 30, 2023, 07:07:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
why would you eat shit trying to bunny hop on flats? bad technique from riding clipless?

Yes, exactly. I've been using clipless for over twenty years now. My bunny hop technique is shit.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3088 on: March 31, 2023, 03:55:17 PM »
Put some risers, basket and a bell on the Bridgestone

Shorter basket legs are in the mail and should be here soon, the positioning with these long ass legs is whack

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqY8X5bvOI6/?igshid=OGRjNzg3M2Y=

Not pictured, white time atac aliums

Is that TT protector NJS stamped? Seriously, that Bridgestone track is a thing of beauty.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3089 on: March 31, 2023, 10:51:59 PM »
It's just cloth newbaums tape. I sold all my kashimax protectors when they jumped up in price. And thanks! I feel like I've got it in a good spot now. It just needs a Chris king headset and some disco hubs and it'll be perfect. I might get some of those sks raceblade fenders or whatever

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqe3uANO6jx/?igshid=OGRjNzg3M2Y=