Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 5542 times)

Wizard Fuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
San Francisco
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:14:12 PM »
Kind of early to make this thread but I'm excited.

I'm going to San Francisco next summer with a friend for 2-3 weeks and I got some questions.

Does anyone know a good place to stay? Could we stay in the streets and not get hassled?
What is the general price of food?
What are some good places to eat?
Is renting a car even necessary?
How much does a 1/4 or half of weed run?

Any other information would be appreciated.

The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

cops keep firing

• Rep: 63
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 11:04:08 PM »
when i was about 16, i came to sf to visit with some close friends.
we all stayed in a hostel and at the time i think it ran us something like 18 bucks a night.
i would say its not the best idea to sleep outside.

food is expensive. there is this place called foods co. in the mission near the infamous three up three down.
if you are looking to save some money on food then i would say try to stay somewhere close to foods co.

if you can splurge though i would say hit up hayes valley or the marina for overpriced but generally good food.
el farrolito on 24th/mission or 24/alabama have the best burritos in the city so hit that shit up.

again if you can spend the money i would say fuck yeah get a car.
sf is a small city but the public transportation isn't like nyc.
one of my biggest issues with living here is how much taking the bus sucks ass.
so yeah in a nutshell get a car homie. you'll want it for sunset/richmond missions.
or if you have any desire to skate fort miley you'll want a car.
plus a car allows you to hit up spots outside of the city too.
there are plenty of those in any direction (east is oakland, north is sonoma county tony manfre represent, etc...)

and lastly...
dont worry about how much the weed cost.
i can almost guarantee its better and cheaper than wherever you are living.

so i hope you have fun. just skate around the richmond/sunset and bomb hills the first day you get here
and that will set the pace for the rest of your trip. you'll just want to skate as fast as you can everywhere you go.
if anything hit me up when the time gets closer and i'll show you around.
I mean, if the creator of the universe is truly concerned with where you put your penis, then surely he has an opinion on who had the best part in Fully Flared.

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:27:29 AM »
dont worry about how much the weed cost. 
Ha, no doubt... just go to that little plaza/median at Embarcadero where the two identical stair-pyramid things are and there will probably be someone there skating flat while puffing a blunt. That was my intro to the city.

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »
Thanks. Do you know the names of the hostel near the food co.?

And how much money would you bring along?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:55:41 PM by KrookedEyes »

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:17:24 PM »
I went to SF for a week and spent less than $100 on food and transportation. I fully support the bus system, figure out where you are going, look at a bus map, and viola. Its really easy to get around on the bus and also pretty safe.

Food is generally the same price as on the East Coast if you want groceries or fast food, but going to nice restaurants will surely cost you more. Find a hostel and stay for super cheap. My best advice would be to bring a little bit of cash, and then a debit card with the rest of your money. Take a little bit of cash with you out each day and try to keep your 2 sources of money separate(this is just smart for traveling in general).

Lastly, research some spots you'll want to skate and figure out how to get to them, and then also make sure to take some days to just skate around the city and find spots on your own. Theres so much out there, so dont limit yourself to 3rd and Army.

jrock

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »
i used to live a couple blocks away from that Food Co in the mission.  I'm not sure if there are any hostels around, but there are a few crackhead motels in the area if you're really desperate.  Stay at those kinds of places at your own risk.  

there's a travelodge on Market and Valencia (a few blocks from the 3 up 3 down), and i think its about 70 bucks a night.  

Don't plan on sleeping on the street unless you want to get robbed.  you also might wake up with a hypodermic needle sticking out of your ass.  There are a lot of homeless junkies on the streets in SF and I've seen fucked up shit go down everyday I lived there, so be careful.  

The general price of food is going probably be a little more than you're used to.  I guess you should be prepared to spend at least 2 or 3 bucks more per meal than you would at home.  There aren't a lot of fast food chains in SF; its mostly small specialized restaurants that cost somewhere in the 7-10 dollar range for a meal.  The downside is that the few extra bucks per meal adds up, but the up side is that the food is usually pretty good.  Your best bet is to buy groceries at a supermarket (these are also going to be more expensive than home, but that Foods Co is pretty cheap), or eat at Taco trucks when you find them.  The food there is super cheap ($1 tacos!), and it tastes awesome.  Don't be scared of the taco trucks.  Even if you eat on a budget for most of your time there, you should treat yourself to some good food at least a few times while you're in town.  At the spot where i lived in the mission, there was just about any kind of food I could have ever wanted within a 5 block radius.  Don't sell yourself short.  Use the opportunity to try some new shit (and don't eat McDonalds every day like my stupid ass did).  

About the car thing...having a car would definitely be a good thing, but its not totally necessary.  i had a car when i lived there, and while it came in handy skating in those hard to reach places, it kind of became a hassle to have after a while.  The funnest times i had were when i just hopped out of my apartment and skated off into the city without any plans.  It sucks taking the bus or BART, but you can make it work if you have to (most of my friends didn't have cars and they did just fine), but if you have the extra cash go for the rental if it makes you feel better.

And I wouldn't stay in SF for 2-3 weeks without at least a grand, two if you want to live comfortably and maybe go shopping before you leave.  If you have less you could definitely make it work, i just think you'd have more fun if you weren't pinching pennies the whole time.  two or three weeks is a long time, and all of those little price increases are going to add up more than you think.  

anyway, i hope this helps.  Don't stress too hard on the money, just try to get as much as you can before you leave.  I've seen people come into town with a hundred bucks and make it work, but they usually had to mooch off of friends or do some shady shit to get by.  Either way, I think you'll have a lot of fun.

good luck

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 07:39:13 PM »
Well renting are car is out since apparently you have to be 21 to get them. So I guess I have to rely on my board/public transportation.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Lastly, research some spots you'll want to skate and figure out how to get to them, and then also make sure to take some days to just skate around the city and find spots on your own. Theres so much out there, so dont limit yourself to 3rd and Army.

Most definitely. I want to take in everything it has to offer. If anyone has a spot list or something that I should look into (the lesser none spots), it would be appreciated.

there's a travelodge on Market and Valencia (a few blocks from the 3 up 3 down), and i think its about 70 bucks a night. 

Probably look into this. Thanks.

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 07:03:32 AM »
Driving in SF is frustrating anyway... it'd be fun with a scooter or motorcycle though... they drive right between cars and shit (on the freeway and surface streets). I'd never seen that shit before... little Vespas and even big fat Harleys just scooting right through stopped traffic like fucking ninjas.

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »
Does anyone know if you can rent bikes?

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »
The green tortoise hostel on broadway has a private apartment building that they rent out for close to $70 a night for 2 people. Nice, clean suites with a shared kitchen and a sharedl bathroom with the 2 other rooms on your floor.I hit that for about a week and loved it...its super short walking distance from the embarcadero, downtown and little italy.
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 10:32:55 PM »
don't get a car. Walking around aimlessly is one of best things about SF. And the public transportation system isn't THAT bad - well, maybe around 5pm on the weekdays when everyone is trying to get home. The bus is only about a buck 50, i think, and you get a transfer that could last you the whole day (there's a 90 minute time limit on them, but most bus drivers don't care. And besides, you can just hop in through the back).

in terms of food . . . check out the dollar stores . . .

..and every once in a while, treat yourself to a bacon dog in the Mission.

tripolar

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »
Im in SF now, this threads been pretty helpful but i was wondering if any of you know of some good bars, maybe some live music? Ive wandered around a lot here, saw a lot of bars but most of them really expensive and not my 'scene' i guess. Was hoping to see TG play but dont think its happening haha. Ill probably get shit for asking this, but is there any other skate parks around other than Potrero del sol. I know SF is not for park skating but i heard theres a park with ledges like Pier 7 and id like to skate it at least once. Otherwise any other hassle free spots with ledges other than 3rd&army?
Oh yeah and for a hostel in Mission district, there's one called Element which costs 20 bucks a night. Mind you there will be seven others in your room as well and there just might be a feminist in the bed next to yours who snores like a chainsaw! Its not the best hostel, i moved to Green Tortoise which is 29 a night but is a lot nicer, close to EMB and Pier 7 and stuff altho you cant skate there. Both hostels include free breakfast every day and at GT theres free diner 3 nights a week too. Not bad. I did find food to be quite expensive but i bought a new AH board for 30 bucks yesterday! I dunno if thats normal prices in the states but i was stoked!

yall84

• Rep: 3
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »
since your already there and might have left this may not apply to you, but to other people maybe so:

Does anyone know a good place to stay?
never stayed in a hostel but there is one near the safeway in the marina district. real nice spot. not sure of prices.

Could we stay in the streets and not get hassled?
Jamie Thomas used to sleep at EMB back in the day if my memory serves me correct. I used to sleep outside on top of this building in the presidio some nights. I've also slept at Kirby Cover which is the park right across the golden gate bridge to your left. It gets very very cold though, you need a warm sleeping bag. I am sure it would be no problem to camp out in the wooded areas along the trails near the golden gate bridge. I probably wouldn't sleep in the city area, but the parks could serve you well. Maybe not golden gate park...

What is the general price of food?
cheap for the most part. shop wisely. i scored lots of free meals in alleyways off of Van Ness. Just church groups donating to the homeless. every sunday there is a farmers market near the civic center/library off market. real cheap food.

What are some good places to eat?
never really ate out, just lived off pasta and fruits and vegetables.

Is renting a car even necessary?
no way mang. get yourself a bus pass for however long your staying and wander with that shit!

How much does a 1/4 or half of weed run?
haight street for that one.

jrock

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »

Oh yeah and for a hostel in Mission district, there's one called Element which costs 20 bucks a night

shit, i just booked a room at this place the other day.  $420 a week for a private room with a private bathroom doesn't seem too bad.  I hope its not to horrible, but I really just need a place to take a shower and leave my stuff.

I used to be in a band when I lived in SF, so I know most of the music venues.

good ones:
Great American Music Hall (used to work there)
Slims
Cafe du Nord
Bottom of the Hill

expensive ones:
the fillmore
the warfield
bimbos

ok ones:
Edinburgh Castle
12 galaxies (i heard it might be closed down though)
rickshaw stop
makeout room
red devil lounge
hemlock tavern
thee parkside

most of those places have websites, so do some searches to see who's playing while you're in town

i'm not super into bars, but I found these to be cool (usually a good amount of skaters here, but you have to deal with a lot of hipster douche bag types, so beware)

Delerium
Zeitgeist
Arrrow bar
the attic
beauty bar
cassanova
hemlock tavern
edinburgh castle
pops

i'll be there in 2 weeks, so if anyone wants to meet up let me know

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
12 galaxies is still open.
The pier 7 replica is called pier 3.5 and is in San Mateo. Other good parks in the bay include the Berkeley Park, sunnyvale, and Santa Rosa. Those are my favorites at least. Oh, and crocker amazon is another park in the city, though most people hate that place for a variety of reasons (small, poured unevenly, only one or two people can go at once. little hood kids playing in the park and getting all in the way.

Pop's and thee parkside are the bigger "skater bars"  but if you want to meet women they are not necessarily the place to go. Great spots to see some alcoholic pro skaters though, if that is your thing.

Downtown kind of sucks now, the best luck you might have with spots is to go to random hilly residential areas, and look for driveway spots. In places like the sunset anywhere you go will at least give you a long line of grass gaps and driveway banks. And you'll probably find some crazy shit that is like no other spot you've skated. Its a treasure hunt, and its fun as hell. Just pretend to be Tommy Guerrero in your head.
As far as famous old spots, the sf public library is back and hopping, just make sure you get there after 7.

MIssion is going to be the best bet for cheaper foods and just cheaper shit in general. If you want cheap and delicious I have three words: tacos, tacos, and tacos. El farolito is decent, as somebody said, and just about any taco truck will do the trick. Other good ones are el toro on 17th and valencia, el tonayense on 24th and treat (I think), and Casa Sanchez on 24th and york. A tip for casa sanchez, its right by the potrero skatepark, and if you bring a board with you and bring it up, they'll give you a free drink with your food, and all the free chips and salsa you could ask for is free to anybody. You can spend like three bucks and get 2 tacos, a drink, and chips and salsa. Not too shabby.  I also like Tommy's joint on van ness north of the civic center, cheap carved meat sandwich type place. Some pretty good sandwiches to be had for pretty cheap.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

SleepyPeePee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 01:58:03 PM »
compared to southern california near LA where i am currently living, SF is pricier.

i know people who live up there, so if you don't know people to stay with, find a hotel that works good with the money your trying to spend.

if you have no clue on what part of SF to stay in, the city is always cool, but there is a little place called Emeryville, which is East bay i think? not too sure, but its really mellow, and its pretty much in between Berkeley & Oakland, which both have some dope spots and good vibes. its literally a small little place within skating distance to the bay bridge. you can take the bus around into the city as well as the Bart which helps alot with goin in and out of the Berkeley area.

Look into this shit before you go it's fuckin sick. The city is always fun, but people forget about Oak. and Berkeley.
would you rather hear "woo" from the omar salazar pack? i wouldn't. their "yeahs" are genuine, and cool. "yeah" has been the battle cry of skaters for as long as i can remember.

HGDhero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 04:17:19 PM »
Oakland and Berkely have some shit, but compared to S.F not really worth it.

Lots more crime in oakland, or alteast not as many people around like S.F. so shady shit finds you.
Pain in the ass to travel back and forth everyday. I live in Berkeley(for 2more months) and commute to S.F. daily, shit gets annoying and adds up. 7bucks a day.
Some spots, but more in the cuts and cant really skate around to them like S.F.

All the bay area heads on here, should met up and skate the park someday. Hit up the bar after for a pint or something?

jrock

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »
i'll be there next wednesday (and hopefully back for good by the first of the year).  Pm me, i'd love to meet up and skate while I'm in town.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »
i'll be there next wednesday (and hopefully back for good by the first of the year).  Pm me, i'd love to meet up and skate while I'm in town.
pm'd

SleepyPeePee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 03:41:14 AM »
Oakland and Berkely have some shit, but compared to S.F not really worth it.

Lots more crime in oakland, or alteast not as many people around like S.F. so shady shit finds you.
Pain in the ass to travel back and forth everyday. I live in Berkeley(for 2more months) and commute to S.F. daily, shit gets annoying and adds up. 7bucks a day.
Some spots, but more in the cuts and cant really skate around to them like S.F.

All the bay area heads on here, should met up and skate the park someday. Hit up the bar after for a pint or something?

the bay bridge to the city is free as long as you carpool. stay on the right side if your coming from Oak./Berkeley. Its free to come back as well.
would you rather hear "woo" from the omar salazar pack? i wouldn't. their "yeahs" are genuine, and cool. "yeah" has been the battle cry of skaters for as long as i can remember.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »
This has been my first night here and i must say i love it. can't wait to explore the city more tommoro. If anyone is around and wants to shred hit me up. probably search out 3rd and army tomoro.

HGDhero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 12:10:57 PM »
the bay bridge to the city is free as long as you carpool. stay on the right side if your coming from Oak./Berkeley. Its free to come back as well.

word man, i BART into the city though..but not for much longer just got a new apartment in outer mission/bernal heights area...stoked

jrock

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 12:26:49 AM »
This has been my first night here and i must say i love it. can't wait to explore the city more tommoro. If anyone is around and wants to shred hit me up. probably search out 3rd and army tomoro.

shit man, we just missed each other.  you lucked out though, it rained 95% of the time i was out there.  the only skating I did was to and from the bar, but it was still fun.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 12:46:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

shit man, we just missed each other.  you lucked out though, it rained 95% of the time i was out there.  the only skating I did was to and from the bar, but it was still fun.
well fuck.. next time i guess, ive been lucky so far weather wise and have got to skate everyday i think some rain will be coming though... ragardless ill enjoy the sun while i can.

era

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 09:17:37 PM »
bars that are super slack on shitty fake ids anyone?

jrock

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »

delerium (got my brother in when he was 19)
benders
the attic

just about any other bar in the mission

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 07:24:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

delerium (got my brother in when he was 19)
benders
the attic

just about any other bar in the mission

and avoid the cat club, i went there on a pubcrawl after dollar drinks, and it turned into a tranny bar... interesting scene though.

era

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 11:33:46 PM »
alright thanks for the bars, now for the skate spots,
if anyone can help out with any of these it would be sick,
im not sure if all of them are in sf so if not just forget em but for the ones that are locations would be appretiated

1.17 flat gap
1.22 hubba
1.34 bank manny
2.03 mini hip
2.12 bank to ledge to manny
2.17 ledge/manny pad
2.23 ledge then stairs
2.31 two ledges
2.59 bank to ledge
4.05 double
4.12 flat bar spot
4.31 little bank spot

directions or adresses would be appreciated thanks.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 11:59:07 PM »
im not sure if all of them are in sf so if not just forget em but for the ones that are locations would be appretiated

1.17 flat gap
1.22 hubba
1.34 bank manny
2.03 mini hip
2.17 ledge/manny pad
2.23 ledge then stairs
2.31 two ledges
2.59 bank to ledge
4.05 double
4.12 flat bar spot
4.31 little bank spot

dude that part was soo fucking sick, adrian williams is so underated.

sorry cant help ya with direction though

era

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2008, 12:14:46 AM »
Expand Quote

1.17 flat gap
1.22 hubba
1.34 bank manny
2.03 mini hip
2.17 ledge/manny pad
2.23 ledge then stairs
2.31 two ledges
2.59 bank to ledge
4.05 double
4.12 flat bar spot
4.31 little bank spot

[close]

dude that part was soo fucking sick, adrian williams is so underated.

sorry cant help ya with direction though

haha I know that parts reatarded, thanks anyway.