Author Topic: uptown throwdown showdown, washington heights NYC  (Read 5466 times)

H8R part 4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
uptown throwdown showdown, washington heights NYC
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »
hey all,
just trying to get the word out on our next comp. 

i'd be pretty stoked if some of the local slap pals could make it out there.  i'll be rocking a name tag with my handle on it so feel free to come by and introduce yourselves.  otherwise you can secretly take pics of me from a distance then post it here after you photoshop some cocks on my face.  :D 

it looks like theres a possibility of rain on that day.    :-\

IF IT RAINS, THE EVENT WILL BE HELD ON THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY OCT 4th.

lets throw a prayer up to the skate gods for good weather this weekend.     
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:52:29 AM by faster! »

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
Re: uptown throwdown showdown, washington heights NYC
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:52:40 AM »
it looks like theres a possibility of rain on that day.    :-\

IF IT RAINS, THE EVENT WILL BE HELD ON THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY OCT 4th.

lets throw a prayer up to the skate gods for good weather this weekend.     

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:23:50 AM »
well it looks like my prayers to the skate gods went unanswered.   
damn this rain!  *shakes fist*

THE EVENT IS POSTPONED TIL SATURDAY OCTOBER 4TH SO PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDARS.

the bright side to this is now i have more time to get more sponsors and support, which means we'll have more prizes and more free stuff to give out to everyone.

the comps for best tricks will be chill street stuff.  no crazy trannies, no hucking yourself down a 20 set or feeble grinds down a 30 foot handrail.  it'll be composed of different boxes, manny pads, flatbars, kickers, barriers plus other random crap you find in the streets.
in otherwords, you can go for broke and not worry about breaking yourself doing it. 

anyway, i'll keep you all posted.   :)

Tko788

• Rep: -20
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »
sounds sick. please DO keep me posted cuz the skateshop i'm down with has a small demo goin on in jersey city that same day (oct 4th) and i'd like to go to this comp too

BDY

• Rep: -16
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
im winning bitch ;D
I WASNT BEFORE AND IM STILL NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH

sNooTs

• Rep: -9
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »
damn a contest uptown,thats a first., sounds like a good time live i like 10 min away ill be there for sure.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »
Tko788,
haha, my friend posted a flier over that the jersey city shop last week but he told me it was more like sneaker store.  whatever the case, its going to be sick so i hope you can make it out. 
i don't know if you skate at the west newyork park but i'd appreciate it if you could spread the word over there.  i've seen quite a few rippers there.     

sNooTs,
i threw a little local comp over a month ago in the same park but this is the first one with a corporate sponsor and a grip of good guys/companies backing it.   we're trying to get things going up here and hoping to make this an annual event.  it would be cool if you rolled out.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:14:56 PM »
shit, red bull for an entire year? what is that one can a day? I'de make the trek out and bust my ass for that prize!

sNooTs

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
Tko788,
haha, my friend posted a flier over that the jersey city shop last week but he told me it was more like sneaker store.  whatever the case, its going to be sick so i hope you can make it out. 
i don't know if you skate at the west newyork park but i'd appreciate it if you could spread the word over there.  i've seen quite a few rippers there.     

sNooTs,
i threw a little local comp over a month ago in the same park but this is the first one with a corporate sponsor and a grip of good guys/companies backing it.   we're trying to get things going up here and hoping to make this an annual event.  it would be cool if you rolled out.

west new york park? your not talking bout the one where you gotta wear full pads?...whats there to skate in washington heights anyway?

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »
west new york park? your not talking bout the one where you gotta wear full pads?...whats there to skate in washington heights anyway?

no. no pads whatsoever.  its lit at night and totally away from everyone and everything. 
its along river road(i think?) like on the side of the cliffs there, you just gotta walk down some stairs.
the park itself is small but the fact that you don't need a helmet, being lit and open 24/7, its pretty dope.

like any other neighborhood, theres spot all around. 
its NYC, theres hitable stuff everywhere if you look hard enough. 

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 08:52:40 AM »
hey all,
the event was great!  everyone had a blast and the turnout was bigger than anyone expected.  skaters came out from all over for a fun filled day of gnar and shred.   

below are the contest results....

BEGINNERS:

kicker over the trash can
1. dito
2. little skip
3. adam

up/down box
1. little skip
2. justin
3. mikhail

kicker to ledge
1. little skip
2. dito
3. adam

ADVANCED:
kicker over the barrier
1. jose vega
2. joseph
3. black dave

up/down box
1. doogie
2. alex aka akuma
3. jose vega

kicker to ledge
1. ryan aka far rock
2. black dave
3. wilmer

WINNERS OF $1000 WOODWARD SCOHOLARSHIPS:

BEGINNERS - little skip from the bronx
ADVANCED - jose vega from rockland county

WINNER OF 1 YEARS SUPPLY OF REDBULL:
siddiq mohammed

thanks to all the sponsors for their support.  namely Steve Rodriguez, the 5boro team(and Melissa!), redbull, volcom, emerica, listen skateboards, hifi wheels, and stereo skateboards.

special thanks to Billy Rohan for sliding through.
my homie Stevos for keeping guard of everyones stuff all day.
Ludwin for helping to raise money for the park.
Tito for getting peoples signatures all day.
the judges Kemal Kelley and David Cohen.
and to anyone and everyone that helped out with the event.

and lastly and mostly importantly, thanks to everyone that came out to show washington heights the love, none of this would've been possible without you guys.   

*i need to contact both Jose Vega and Little Skip.
if you guys are here or someone knows how to contact these guys, please shoot me a PM or an email to [email protected]

**sorry to the slap pals for not rocking my "faster!" name tag but i was the one asian dude there so i was hard to miss. 
anyway, i hope none of you took scandalous pics of me to photoshop.  ;D

biggums mcgee

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 09:45:52 AM »
faster are you injury-free? I'de still love to make it down there to skate with you, hopefully before the cold really starts to set in.

sNooTs

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »
faster! were you the dude who did a bigspin front board to regular on the flatbar?

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »
faster! were you the dude who did a bigspin front board to regular on the flatbar?

nah not me, i hardly got to skate.  i was too busy trying to make sure everything was going smoothly.   
i totally forgot there were 2 other asian dudes skating there.
one had some crazy looking hair and the other guy had some crazy looking ears, neither of which were me. 

i was rocking a black 5boro t-shirt, i have short hair(rocking a 5boro beanie at one point) and running around like a maniac the whole time.  i'm not sure when you got there but you should've introduced yourself, i would've thrown some free shit at you or something.  :)

biggums mcgee,
i'm 90% healthy.  i can't go for broke but i can still throw down a little here and there.  my toe has healed but still a little sore.  i'm good to go whenever you head out to the city.  you got my number and shit so give me a shout and we'll link up.   

biggums mcgee

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »
thats not a problem at all, I just like to push around and hit little shit anyway. I'de like to come on one the the last weekends this month, I'm trying to gather the balls to drive down to your place. its really close to the GWB, right? we'll have to plan it out, I don't want to leave you hanging like I kinda did last time

sNooTs

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 10:51:15 AM »
ooooh true i saw you there for sure though, i was just shredding the flatbar the whole time. i was wearing an black emerica shirt, grey jeans, and black and grey reynolds 3s. if only knew it was you i wuda said something. its always nice to see a fellow slap pal in the streets. well i only have 40 posts but if been on here for more than a year :P

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »
thats not a problem at all, I just like to push around and hit little shit anyway. I'de like to come on one the the last weekends this month, I'm trying to gather the balls to drive down to your place. its really close to the GWB, right? we'll have to plan it out, I don't want to leave you hanging like I kinda did last time

the GWB is on 179th st.  my place is 185th, just 7 blocks away.
we'll make plans but the key to those plans working out is for you to actually show up.  ;D
holler at your asian!

ooooh true i saw you there for sure though, i was just shredding the flatbar the whole time. i was wearing an black emerica shirt, grey jeans, and black and grey reynolds 3s. if only knew it was you i wuda said something. its always nice to see a fellow slap pal in the streets. well i only have 40 posts but if been on here for more than a year :P

there was like 500 peeps there, i have no idea what anyone was wearing.  unfortunately, i barely got to watch anyone skate.  :(
in any case, now that you know who i am, feel free to introduce yourself next time, i'm pretty friendly guy and i won't think you're a kook.   ;D

biggums mcgee

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »
its all on me with the driving thing. coming home this weekend to take my car back up to college, which is 2 1/2 hours. I drove out to a contest at the park in scranton last weekend and that was an hour and 1/2, so I'm getting there. I suppose I could take the train too, but penn station is pretty far from uptown is it not?

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
its all on me with the driving thing. coming home this weekend to take my car back up to college, which is 2 1/2 hours. I drove out to a contest at the park in scranton last weekend and that was an hour and 1/2, so I'm getting there. I suppose I could take the train too, but penn station is pretty far from uptown is it not?

penn is on 34th st.  its kind of far but you can take subways to anywhere fairly quickly.
the A train is right there and you can take that up to the GWB in about 15-20 minutes.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

penn is on 34th st.  its kind of far but you can take subways to anywhere fairly quickly.
the A train is right there and you can take that up to the GWB in about 15-20 minutes.

that might just be the way to go then...coming from a place where drunk driving is the norm to going to crazy traffic is alittle nerve-racking...I'll get at you when it gets alittle closer to that time!

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 08:12:08 AM »
hey,
i'm trying to gather up all the pics and footage from the event so i can send to all the sponsors as well as the NYC parks dept.

if you could post links or send whatever you can to my email([email protected]) i'd greatly appreciate it.
you don't have to get all crazy with editing or anything, raw pics and footage is perfectly fine. 

honestly, i really need it to show the NYC parks dept whats up with skating and the positive vibe it brings to all the kids.  i'm trying to keep skating alive up here and get their continued support. 

thanks in advance!