Author Topic: Hockey Talk  (Read 224106 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Hockey Talk
« Reply #2790 on: December 18, 2019, 07:38:22 PM »
I always back shitty US clubs to prove how a Canadian team can never be successful again...... If the Leafs were in Arizona they'd be cup contenders....

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2791 on: December 18, 2019, 09:15:11 PM »
ironically, the leafs best player is from arizona
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #2792 on: December 18, 2019, 10:44:47 PM »
I always back shitty US clubs to prove how a Canadian team can never be successful again...... If the Leafs were in Arizona they'd be cup contenders....

The funniest thing about toronto is the negative impact the fans have on their team

carlomarxxx

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2793 on: December 20, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The funniest thing about toronto is the negative impact the fans have on their team

You give them too much credit.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #2794 on: December 20, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »
I used to be super into hockey but I've completely lost interest since they've all but eliminated fighting in the NHL game. It used to be something to look forward to, a game within a game, and I really loved the instant justice that was dispensed when someone broke one of the unwritten rules. Hockey in the 90's and early 2000's (and before that as well, but that's my era) was probably the most wonderful team sport I've ever witnessed... just this super fast marriage of athleticism, skill, finesse, toughness, and violence.

I know it's better and safer for the players now, and I know that being an enforcer was a really difficult way to make a living, but I miss it for selfish reasons. I did some work for Lyle Odelein a few years ago and he was just the coolest dude, after I figured out where I was (his wife booked the job and I had no idea I was in his house at first) and told him I was a fan he ordered a pizza and we sat in his kitchen watching his fights on youtube while he told me war stories and it was fucking amazing. I just feel like there aren't a lot of guys like that around anymore.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2795 on: December 20, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »
He was on spittin chicklets in sept and it was sick....

I kinda miss fights but at the same time the game is so fast and guys are so skilled it's fucked....

Every night I see something that would make a yearly top ten in another decade....

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #2796 on: December 21, 2019, 08:27:08 AM »
Yeah, to me if the choice is bruiser games or insane hands, I’m going with insane hands every time.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2797 on: December 21, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »
I do miss the fights and big hits of the olden days, but at the same time the skill level makes it just as good to watch. Everyone is so fast these days, and it makes for exciting action. It's also nice to see people not having career ending hits ending careers like Lindros and Kariya.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2798 on: December 21, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »
We have Elias Petterson here and I keep looking at his McCauley Culkin Christmas Elf face and think... There's just no way this guy is even in the NHL and he does the most shockingly filthiest shit I've ever seen.....

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2799 on: December 22, 2019, 06:59:20 AM »
We have Elias Petterson here and I keep looking at his McCauley Culkin Christmas Elf face and think... There's just no way this guy is even in the NHL and he does the most shockingly filthiest shit I've ever seen.....

I like his flow.

Had him on my fantasy team last year. He's scary good, and helped me pocket a few bucks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2800 on: March 02, 2021, 10:33:35 PM »
Listening to the bunt they mentioned Wayne simmonds can skate....guess what trick they are claiming? 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2801 on: March 04, 2021, 09:16:09 AM »
I’m so stoked hockey is back and seems to be going smooth but I just can’t wrap my head around the series. Like I can’t figure out which games and stuff are do-or-die. Like, I think all are but like the season pace feels so odd to me. Like I have no sense of how the league overall is playing out. Just how the Hawks and that conference are doing.

Still happy to watch though!

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2802 on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:50 AM »
also glad it’s back and running smooth enough.

I’m in the same boat. I follow the North and look at overall standings every once in a while. It takes a little more effort than normal. If you told me Florida was top 5 in the league I wouldn’t have believed you.

But I guess some teams have played considerably less games so that kinda matters at this point.

My biggest concern is it’s tough to know how good teams actually are. My Leafs are beating up on everyone and while they do look better overall than last year, it’s hard to know how they stack up against the top dogs in other divisions.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2803 on: March 04, 2021, 07:51:24 PM »
Canucks.... :-*

I'm psyched to have something to watch and follow but it's not gonna get serious until the playoffs.  They're having to play so many games and against the same teams....no surprise that most games one team doesn't show up.....it's usually my team....

Wayne Simmonds=heel flip....

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2804 on: March 05, 2021, 04:20:33 PM »
Wayne Simmons looks like an illusion flip guy to me.

I wish they put teams records or place in the division next to the name during broadcast like NFL. I’m probably minority but knowing a teams in the basement won’t stop me watching an out of market game. This all Canadian division has been chefs kiss especially the covid HNIC broadcast.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2805 on: May 18, 2021, 03:07:08 PM »
now that the playoffs started who do you have taking the cup this year?

Even though I'm a Pittsburgh native and Pens fan, I'm also a realist.

I think Colorado could take it this year. they've been so solid last year and remind me of how Tampa Bay was playing up until they finally got it last year.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #2806 on: May 18, 2021, 03:52:52 PM »
Think Caps are gonna take it this year, that team is made for playoff hockey. Super physical, great pp and great pk. Goalie situation is a big question mark though. Would like to see Florida go far, but Tampa with their ltir trickery is gonna be tough to beat. Caps vs Avs final, Ovie takes the Conn Smyth

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2807 on: May 18, 2021, 04:58:56 PM »
Too bad the bracket is messed up this year and only one of the Avs, Blues or Golden Knights is gonna play Toronto probably. Avs are definitely the sexy pick although StL and Vegas have better goaltending.

In the east, the Bruins are softer than baby shit but they’re gonna have a slugfest first round with the Caps. One of those teams will ride high passed the second round to play Tampa in the Conf finals.

Colorado Tampa final is the favorite, I’d give Tampa the edge on goaltending and experience.

Someone will get upset and blow this to smithereens. Love playoff hockey

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2808 on: May 19, 2021, 11:19:54 PM »
I think Vegas.....Otherwise Tampa or the Caps....the Canadian division will be the ultimate dud.....

Colorado still has to get closer before they actually win anything.....

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2809 on: May 20, 2021, 11:02:38 AM »
I’d love for Vegas to win but could see Ava doing it too. Would be cool if FLA upsets Tampa but as a Hawks fan, I’m happy to see that Q seems to already be having an impact down there.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2810 on: May 20, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »
Caps and Bruins are destroying each other this series.

I'd love to see the Panthers upset the Lightning but i don't think it will happen.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #2811 on: October 04, 2021, 10:53:10 PM »
anyone getting hyped for a god damn full 82 game season coming up here?

I'm enjoying all of the pre-season drama that has gone on so far, particularly robin lehner's twitter threads.

i have some slight insight as to what goes on to injured players in the NHL as one of my dad's friends career was essentially ended by him being forced to play with a frozen broken foot.

hameesvx

• Rep: 0
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram ! avatar image
« Reply #2812 on: October 25, 2021, 05:50:57 PM »
anyone getting hyped for a god damn full 82 game season coming up here?

I'm enjoying all of the pre-season drama that has gone on so far, particularly robin lehner's twitter threads.

i have some slight insight as to what goes on to injured players in the NHL as one of my dad's friends career was essentially ended by him being forced to play with a frozen broken foot.

Was stoked but now the leafs are everbodys bitch. Marner is godawful lol

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2813 on: October 25, 2021, 06:32:46 PM »
As a Leafs fan I wish I had something to say back to you, but so far we don’t have anything going for us. At least so far it seems everyone has figured out how to deal with Marner. Nylander is the one constant we have at the moment. And when you look at our spending - top three players making close to 40 mil - it’s clear we wont have a deep team for years to come.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2814 on: October 25, 2021, 06:57:28 PM »
That's the problem with Candian markets, players are often over valued and under a microscope.....

I'm not sure how things pan out with Eichel because whichever team acquires him won't see any immediate benefit.  Maybe with a ton of conditional picks it might fly....Buffalo totally mishandled it though....

hameesvx

• Rep: 0
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram ! avatar image
« Reply #2815 on: October 25, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »
As a Leafs fan I wish I had something to say back to you, but so far we don’t have anything going for us. At least so far it seems everyone has figured out how to deal with Marner. Nylander is the one constant we have at the moment. And when you look at our spending - top three players making close to 40 mil - it’s clear we wont have a deep team for years to come.

Yeah im super stoked on nylander but watching mitch is irritating the shit out of me. Im tuning out til after new years.