Author Topic: The future of the skateboarding industry (riders and companies)  (Read 4599 times)

Dr Newton

Re: The future of the skateboarding industry (riders and companies)
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »
The industry needs cleansing. The hipsters and the non-skaters have got to go. I'm personally happy as long as blanks stay cheap and ledges stay waxed.

gordon bombay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 69
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 08:11:48 AM »
i hope it all fucks up and it goes back to 80s arcade jammin, shreddin pools and curbs and shit. this cellar door shit and fake spots hype is weak as fuck. street skating is not in cities anymore.

actually i hope it doesnt fuck up. that would leave plenty of people and most likely, some of your favorite skateboarders without a paycheck. i dont even know how to respond to your statement about how street skating isnt in cities anymore though.

gordon bombay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
it isnt , you see perfect handrails all damn day (like the double kink arto bs lipped, definitly not in a downtown) and spots with not a building in sight, which is really way better for skateboaridng cause you never get kicked out and you can actually feel like you are getting outside. but i like the city videos way better shit is grey all the time all polluted and the tricks are not as good cause you only get like 1 try, more like actual skateboarding, instead of some douche spending 2 hours trying some bullshit

true, you need to watch some east coast videos then. but i guess youre stuck cause it will most likely have a cellar door or 8 in it.

beeda weeda

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i couldnt give 2 shits if my favorite pro had to get a job, i have to work, so shuold they. ive been skating for ten years havent gotten 1 free board that was actually good. i am just as good at skateboarding as pretty much any pro out there and i dont get coverage cause i dont have some sick underground flannel wearing pussy ass personality. so fuck them they're paycheque can lick my choad/chode.
[close]

I've seen your footage, you're about as good at street skating as an 80's vert pro who tried to adapt to the hip new thang.  So yeah, maybe you should be pro, you could ride for Zorlac.
[close]

i wanna see his footy, can you post some?
[close]
0:34!!!

Baby Rabies

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »
Totally just as good as pretty much any pro out there. Great style and everything.

skatemore,man

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »
making a living off of skating has got to be a sweet gig, if you love skating. I'm going to try to draw an analogy here that goes like this: my buddy Dave, who is one of the best tattoo artists around this way, once said to me that if he's ever got to tattoo specifically for the money aspect of it, then he'll quit doing it. Dude's got soul invested in everything that he does. Now with skating, i mean shit, read the new SLAP interview with Karma where he says something like "oh, it wasn't about the money" and how it was wicked fun. When things might crash, maybe pros will skate to create and for fun again and in turn kids who worship these dudes in bedroom shrines plastered with ads and photos (if all mags don't go under) will learn to have some more fun too. I use the word fun in this context because i was just thinking about how fucking miserable the vibrations coming out of spots and parks can be a lot of times. Maybe my medicine is getting to my head.... but i don't think so, skating needs to be skating again. peace

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 10:33:11 PM »
it isnt , you see perfect handrails all damn day (like the double kink arto bs lipped, definitly not in a downtown) and spots with not a building in sight, which is really way better for skateboaridng cause you never get kicked out and you can actually feel like you are getting outside. but i like the city videos way better shit is grey all the time all polluted and the tricks are not as good cause you only get like 1 try, more like actual skateboarding, instead of some douche spending 2 hours trying some bullshit

regardless of how many tries arto got, that rail is in no way easy to skate, it is high and deadly as a motherfucker

Dr Newton

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 10:56:32 PM »
Pretty much anyone that skates has their soul invested in skating. I don't feel bad for anyone that isn't getting paid from it, when some of the realest skaters are virtually unknown, and paying for decks.

Didn't he claim the be the best skater in Toronto or wherever bullshit city he's from?

Skating in the city is way more raw. You might as well just stay in the fucking skate park if you have a problem with getting busted every once in a while.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »
Totally just as good as pretty much any pro out there. Great style and everything.

sarcasm at its finest.

if rawbuttson was any stiffer, he'd look like my cock does every morning.
bend your knees and remember that style matters. 

skatemore,man

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »
Pretty much anyone that skates has their soul invested in skating. I don't feel bad for anyone that isn't getting paid from it, when some of the realest skaters are virtually unknown, and paying for decks.

Didn't he claim the be the best skater in Toronto or wherever bullshit city he's from?

Skating in the city is way more raw. You might as well just stay in the fucking skate park if you have a problem with getting busted every once in a while.

see, man, i don't know if i really agree with that. Soul is a piece of something beyond an expression of time. i can't say that from the time i began skating until now that i've always had a piece of my soul invested in it. I don't think that anyone really can. Maybe one's soul, if it becomes invested in skateboarding, becomes invested as a necessity, because if only through learning of life with skateboarding, then may a part skateboarding becomes a piece of the soul itself.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:46:21 PM by skatemore,man »

gordon bombay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »

skatemore,man

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
hey man, just get on it. skating is the sweetest shit that i've ever known. i hope you all like it too. ahahah, fuck yeah

skatemore,man

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »
maybe Skateboarding, but skateboarding is always going to be

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2008, 09:19:07 PM »
was rawbertson's opening ollie supposed to be epic or some shit? they had it all slowmotioned and i think i could hear him giving himself a burnquist on the roll away. those polls were like 1.5' to 2' apart.

Dr Newton

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

see, man, i don't know if i really agree with that. Soul is a piece of something beyond an expression of time. i can't say that from the time i began skating until now that i've always had a piece of my soul invested in it. I don't think that anyone really can. Maybe one's soul, if it becomes invested in skateboarding, becomes invested as a necessity, because if only through learning of life with skateboarding, then may a part skateboarding becomes a piece of the soul itself.

HAHA, that was so deep. I guess some people are more committed to skating than others, but as a general population skaters tend to be unique. There aren't many other physical activities where you are going to suffer constant pain, hassle from the police, trouble finding areas to practice in, etc., and then go and endure that for anywhere from thirty minutes to twelve hours a day for nothing. I'd say most people who do this have something invested.

skatemore,man

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »
^ again, man, i disagree. it's just what i have seen over the years.

I was reading some old Quim Cardona interviews and one with Tim Upson too, that shit got me so hyped to skate last night. Simplicity.

Heshstallion

• Rep: -9
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »
that rawbertson dude can actually do some shit, whether or not it looks good, but hes still lame

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

HAHA, that was so deep. I guess some people are more committed to skating than others, but as a general population skaters tend to be unique. There aren't many other physical activities where you are going to suffer constant pain, hassle from the police, trouble finding areas to practice in, etc., and then go and endure that for anywhere from thirty minutes to twelve hours a day for nothing. I'd say most people who do this have something invested.
This is exactly why i hate when i hear people say people skate for the money. Most people that skate would be skating regardless if they made a lot or not. Getting stacks is just a major plus.