Author Topic: The Trial of Bradley Manning  (Read 3918 times)

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: The Trial of Bradley Manning
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Obama threatened students and state employees that if they read the leaked material will have consequences. Admiting in reality that you are being watched and filed.? 
[close]
On this

Anyone following the story Edward Snowden? I read an article about what he leaked. Has anyone any good article on that?
[close]

Is this not headline news in the US?

It definitely is.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Obama threatened students and state employees that if they read the leaked material will have consequences. Admiting in reality that you are being watched and filed.? 
[close]
On this

Anyone following the story Edward Snowden? I read an article about what he leaked. Has anyone any good article on that?
[close]

Is this not headline news in the US?

[close]

It definitely is.

Are people pissed off? Clinton got taken out over a blow job, but Obama seems to be passing this off with his usual calm.

Google/Facebook et al denying all knowledge?

Pretty fucked up...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 09:44:40 AM »
No people are not pissed off, but they are extremely excited about the Black Hawks reaching the Stanely Cup.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 11:09:41 AM »
 People are educated and encouraged not to have an opinion.

I am really concerned that since USSR collapsed the global establishment is not afraid to do whatever as there is no enemy anymore. The neo-liberal model fails day by day (socially, it works ok for capitals) and measures have to be taken for those that are willing to challenge it. We are at this dystopian point of history.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »
And chockfullofthat, please don't make the mistake of believing that America has ever gone to war purely in the interest of spreading democracy. As that Hillary Clinton quote above aptly demonstrates, those in power are mostly concerned with 'foreign policy interests' as well as 'global security' and economic prosperity. These are the exact same concerns that allowed countries such as the U.S. to continue to prop up autocratic governments in places like Egypt and Tunisia until it became politically damaging to do so. Democracy and human rights wouldn't even make their top 10 list of priorities, nor would government accountability to the citizens whose tax dollars pay for the war material and other expenses to make these conflicts possible. This isn't paranoia or conspiracy theory, its basic orthodoxy in the field of international relations. In light of this Monty Burns suspicion of media 'vultures' and their motivations seems highly ridiculous to me.

So how do you interpret Obama's foray into Syria with weapons for rebels and a potential no-fly zone?  Strike another point for the military industrial complex, oil, and Israel lobbies?

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
i hope youre joking. syria is a perfect example of what weedpop is talking about.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:30:23 PM by Beer Keg Peg Leg »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »
I know but it's depressing. Can't I justify it to myself by thinking it could lead to less dead Syriams and more democracy anyway?  Even if that wasn't the intent and completely unguaranteed.