Author Topic: Acer laptops -- low quality?  (Read 2916 times)

Dr Newton

Acer laptops -- low quality?
« on: November 08, 2008, 08:59:38 PM »
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10575192

This thing is running at $348, I need a new laptop soon. I like the look of this one, and I am going to need something small that can go into a book bag and also not get crushed in the trunk of a car. Is something wrong with it? Would I be better off in the long run just spending $600 or more on an HP? Are PCs all pretty much exactly the same thing?

ccc333

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Acer laptops -- low quality?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 09:20:12 PM »
here are some reviews on that laptop
http://www.notebookreview.com/price/default.asp?productID=29825&productFamilyID=1207&display=opinionDetail

All PCs arent the same cuz it depends on the components they use. some companies just go for the cheapest motherboard/cpu which could cause hardware problems later.  Also check the assembly and make sure it is durable.  Shop around and do some research.  good luck

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:31:43 PM »

This thing is running at $348, I need a new laptop soon. I like the look of this one, and I am going to need something small that can go into a book bag and also not get crushed in the trunk of a car. Is something wrong with it? Would I be better off in the long run just spending $600 or more on an HP? Are PCs all pretty much exactly the same thing?

i have a theory that all electronic products become obsolete within 2 years of their purchase date, so keep that in mind....  when buying a laptop, you are looking for durability, like it will still be usable a year or 2 after you buy it because its going to cost a lot to keep swapping to a new one....  and it also depends on what you are using it for.... if its for simple use in school like word processing and presentations, than cheap one from acer will suffice....  more uses=spend more.... 

make sure you get an extended warranty, so you can really stretch out the lifesapn.... 

the ram on the laptop you are looking at is pretty low and if you are running vista, then its going to eat up a lot of the ram resources, so you might want to get a ram upgrade to 2gig....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Dr Newton

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:32:39 PM »
A warranty is only $60, so I'll be getting that too. I'd like to keep using Windows XP if I can.

Yeah, I only use computers for school stuff, web browsing (SLAP, YouTube, MySpace), and for playing poker on Full Tilt. I'd really like to be able to get footage from my camcorder and upload it to the computer, then edit short clips in an old, basic program that I can easily understand. With all of the footage, pictures, skate videos, music, school files, and programs that I have accumulated over the past year on the Dell laptop I am on, I've only managed to fill about 8 GB worth of space.

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:50:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i have a theory that all electronic products become obsolete within 2 years of their purchase date, so keep that in mind....  when buying a laptop, you are looking for durability, like it will still be usable a year or 2 after you buy it because its going to cost a lot to keep swapping to a new one....  and it also depends on what you are using it for.... if its for simple use in school like word processing and presentations, than cheap one from acer will suffice....  more uses=spend more.... 

make sure you get an extended warranty, so you can really stretch out the lifesapn.... 

the ram on the laptop you are looking at is pretty low and if you are running vista, then its going to eat up a lot of the ram resources, so you might want to get a ram upgrade to 2gig....

I don't think these days they become totally obsolete within 2 years.  Really depends on what you use it for.  It will be obsolete for the latest and greatest PC yeah, but not for regular internet, music, movie stuff.  Durability is important to me cuz I am still running my old laptop for about 2 years and will probably still be using it for 2 more if it doesnt break down.  dont need to keep swapping machines.  The only reason i swap is when my old one completely shits on me.

kinky john

• Rep: 39
  • I do not spook easily
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 01:33:31 AM »
absolute shite, not worth the hassle. made the mistake of buying one once, never again. cheapest nastiest pieces of wank ever.
Quote from: lipscantgo on April 15, 2009, 02:30:26 PM
Females now know to NEVER text Jereme before breakfast. He laid it down.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:11:13 AM »
A warranty is only $60, so I'll be getting that too. I'd like to keep using Windows XP if I can.

Yeah, I only use computers for school stuff, web browsing (SLAP, YouTube, MySpace), and for playing poker on Full Tilt. I'd really like to be able to get footage from my camcorder and upload it to the computer, then edit short clips in an old, basic program that I can easily understand. With all of the footage, pictures, skate videos, music, school files, and programs that I have accumulated over the past year on the Dell laptop I am on, I've only managed to fill about 8 GB worth of space.

yeah fuck windows vista, maybe hold out for windows 7....  storage space should never be an issue with external hard disk getting cheaper....  just keep up with diagnostics and antivirus and your laptop will last just fine.....

also there are little trick you can do to extend computer life, like dont leave the battery in if its not charging, keep the cooling port exposed so the motherboard doesnt fry and set your screen to black out if you leave it on for extended periods of time.....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Chicken Parm

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is pretty much true - esp in the computer hardware market. Manufacturers are advancing technology every 2 - 4 years on major computer components. just look at RAM prices two - four years ago and then todays prices.  same with harddrives, optical drives, exp cards etc...

THAT particular laptop should work ok - its XP home so if your just looking for something to keep up with emails, check the slap boards and write some anti big shoe corp sheckler hating panty rub essay about it, then it should be ok ... you wont be able to get yer WoW on though.  ... u get what u pay for.      oh, ive had a cheap acer - worked fine for me for the 2 years i used it.

nkarasch

• Rep: -29
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »
Just go ahead and get it. If you aren't into gaming or heavy video processing it will be fast enough; anything you can buy nowadays will be. There are almost no components that wear out on a PC. The hard drive will go out in 3-5 years, all of them do. Processors have a life to them but as long as they are running at the right voltage none of them will really burn out faster than others. The keyboard and touch pad will be fine as long as you don't abuse it.

If you are an idiot then you should get Mac though

BriDen

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 06:36:08 PM »
absolute shite, not worth the hassle. made the mistake of buying one once, never again. cheapest nastiest pieces of wank ever.
...care to elaborate?

carlwinslow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »
i had to have one of these for school, it was not a good quality laptop therefore they went out of business. i had to have mine shipped off many of times to get fixed. but, if you looking for a cheap laptop that you won't mind sending off and paying some green to get fixed then i guess it's ok.

skatemore,man

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »
acer is garbage. Absolute shit. dont waste your money.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »
Check ebay and craigslist - for that amount you can get a better brand/quality used laptop - there are a ton of used hp/sony/IBM etc...on craigslist for around that price, just try and find something not more then a year old and it should last you a good while.
co-signed
ableSkateMag.com

waskO

• Rep: 2
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
Ive had an ACER laptop for two years now and its obselete as fuck! Seriously I can get one of those tiny 'netbooks' that are better than this for cheaper than what I paid ($600).  Other than it being obselete, it stil works good enough to do basic things - internet, word processing, etc.
No matter what you buy, its going to be obselete in 2 yrs unless you shell out thousands for an 'ahead of its time' computer which will eventually be on the regular market  .