Author Topic: John Cardiel, Sight Unseen  (Read 3317 times)

the_knife_song

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
  • !!!
    • Adrenalin Shop avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
John Cardiel, Sight Unseen
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:52:59 PM »

mather

• Rep: 2
Re: John Cardiel, Sight Unseen
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:58:01 PM »
just about to post this,one of my all time favorite parts, I remember seeing the sac skyline and being so hyped the first time i saw this

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:52:50 AM »
hands down one of the best parts of all time. Am I wrong to say that TWS video's havn't been as good as they used to be?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:55:07 AM by dean »

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 02:08:19 AM »
hands down one of the best parts of all time. Am I wrong to say that TWS video's havn't been as good as they used to be?
I dont think its a case of the new TWS videos are worse, i just think the old videos are so nostalgic, with such big names in it, it just becomes instantly enjoyable even till this day.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 02:41:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I dont think its a case of the new TWS videos are worse, i just think the old videos are so nostalgic, with such big names in it, it just becomes instantly enjoyable even till this day.

you're right. And with the internet, seeing a new skate video isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

shredorbread

• Rep: -12
  • bring back the manchester
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:43:12 PM »
gets better every time

JockoHomo

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:49:10 PM »

i do think the older ones have a nostalgic quality, but i also see a decline in the quality of their vids. for a while, transworld seemed to really be looking forward with their format, but lately it seems like they've just been trying to keep up. the mood always seems forced anymore and just doesn't have that amazing feel that parts like this did. so happy to own this vid.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i do think the older ones have a nostalgic quality, but i also see a decline in the quality of their vids. for a while, transworld seemed to really be looking forward with their format, but lately it seems like they've just been trying to keep up. the mood always seems forced anymore and just doesn't have that amazing feel that parts like this did. so happy to own this vid.

OH, I forgot that everybody that made TWS mag good quit and went to create the skateboard mag when aol/time warner bought them out.

2NTRFIG

• Rep: -7
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 10:26:05 PM »
cardiel...is too big for tsw
2NTR.COM
2NTR.COM

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 05:44:20 AM »
all time

get some

• Rep: 47
  • fromthewombtothetombpresumetheunpredictable
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »
Everytime I come home from out of town and I see the Sac skyline, I always think about this part.  I have to agree with both comments. There was a certain bit of guaranteed awesomeness that grabbed your attention with the older videos, you just knew they were gonna be great. Anymore, everyone has the same style of filming, angles, etc. and yeah the whole AOL/Time Warner thing has homogenized the whole concept of a good video  for Transworld. Once they started lettin these fools open their mouths was probably the beginning of the end (Chad tim tim for example). Everyone else needs to get off those old editing techniques that were cool in yeah right and try something new, though.
say they ain't no gravity up there....mean we could get high and never come down....

JockoHomo

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »
Everytime I come home from out of town and I see the Sac skyline, I always think about this part.  I have to agree with both comments. There was a certain bit of guaranteed awesomeness that grabbed your attention with the older videos, you just knew they were gonna be great. Anymore, everyone has the same style of filming, angles, etc. and yeah the whole AOL/Time Warner thing has homogenized the whole concept of a good video  for Transworld. Once they started lettin these fools open their mouths was probably the beginning of the end (Chad tim tim for example). Everyone else needs to get off those old editing techniques that were cool in yeah right and try something new, though.

yeah, although they had been doing little interviews in their vids for a long time. i just think that the increased accessibility of skate vids through the internet has really allowed for lesser-known videos, filmers, and editors to get more recognition for trying different things, and so the big-budget, "lifestyle shot", travel-the-globe sort of video has become a bit of a stale format. it seems like transworld tried something new, and it was called "free your mind", and while there were some amazing parts from that vid (drehobl, anyone?), the whole sprackers/taxi concept was pretty stupid. so they've gone back to what they know, and it's just become boring.

not much better than a good long discussion about skate vids.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 08:44:57 PM »
When this shit first came out, my friends and i could not stop roasting this guy. I can't see what you see in him, he looks so off balance and uncomfortable.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »
When this shit first came out, my friends and i could not stop roasting this guy. I can't see what you see in him, he looks so off balance and uncomfortable.

Now you have done it, you have posted the most ignorant statement ever on this message board, and I know because I have been on here since the beginning. I don't care how real you may or may not be but no one talks shit on Cards! You should be ashamed of your fucking self!

get some

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 11:59:45 PM »
Cardiel does look out of control but that's because he is the dude who always take 3 or 4 more extra pushe than necessary, but as far as being uncomfortable looking, if he was uncomfortable he would have style like tyrone olson or somebody. I think Matt Rodriquez says it best right here: <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fa0UnBJz02E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fa0UnBJz02E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

that frontboard at the end is just unbelievable, my friends and I went to that rail one night and we were just in shock like this is not it!!

Cardiel is just the dude who is never gonna stop and he's proved that, sustains an injury that the doc tells him he won't ever walk again from and he's already back pumpin around bowls and shit not more than 5 years later, he never used his injury as an excuse for pity or anything, he just overcame the obstacles and moved on with his life. dude has been and always will be an inspiration to me for sure. 

and

Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, although they had been doing little interviews in their vids for a long time. i just think that the increased accessibility of skate vids through the internet has really allowed for lesser-known videos, filmers, and editors to get more recognition for trying different things, and so the big-budget, "lifestyle shot", travel-the-globe sort of video has become a bit of a stale format. it seems like transworld tried something new, and it was called "free your mind", and while there were some amazing parts from that vid (drehobl, anyone?), the whole sprackers/taxi concept was pretty stupid. so they've gone back to what they know, and it's just become boring.

Expand Quote
[close]

I concur. Free Your Mind was a decent video and it seemed like they were maybe puttin together a theme there for a second there, with subtleties bein all sacto heads, and while I agree that the internet has opened up a lot of opportunities for lower budget vids to be exposed, that shit was going on all along, people have always been makin local vids or whatever but nowadays I see a part and I can't tell the difference from one person to the next anymore. from the style to the tricks to the editing to the music, no matter where the kid is from, they all look the same. much in the same way that Mcdonalds and wal-mart kill any local culture/local business that may be present before they move in. I've been doin this shit for enough years to understand that the styles and all that is all cyclical, but I would just like to see some originality and passion back in it and to me this old stuff still gets me hyped and reminds me that there are so many awesome things about skateboarding no matter what era it is currently. Sorry to wax all philosophical on y'all  asses.
say they ain't no gravity up there....mean we could get high and never come down....

JockoHomo

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 12:13:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I concur. Free Your Mind was a decent video and it seemed like they were maybe puttin together a theme there for a second there, with subtleties bein all sacto heads, and while I agree that the internet has opened up a lot of opportunities for lower budget vids to be exposed, that shit was going on all along, people have always been makin local vids or whatever but nowadays I see a part and I can't tell the difference from one person to the next anymore. from the style to the tricks to the editing to the music, no matter where the kid is from, they all look the same. much in the same way that Mcdonalds and wal-mart kill any local culture/local business that may be present before they move in. I've been doin this shit for enough years to understand that the styles and all that is all cyclical, but I would just like to see some originality and passion back in it and to me this old stuff still gets me hyped and reminds me that there are so many awesome things about skateboarding no matter what era it is currently. Sorry to wax all philosophical on y'all  asses.
[/quote]

no man that's cool. i can see what you're saying about the sameness of skating, but one thing i've found that's kinda rad is local websites like skateaz and post22 and stuff. yeah, some of the skating looks like anything else out there but after a while, you get to see the unique personalities and styles of each little scene. plus, no matter how popular skating gets, there's always going to be someone who brings a creative spark to skating and who carries that legacy of originality and personality. that's one of the things that's been getting me so stoked on skating as i mature: that i can truly enjoy skate vids, ads, whatever, that were waaaaay before my time simply because what skating is really all about is a pretty timeless thing. there are so many millions of little intricacies that make truly good skating.

something this dude obviously doesn't understand. one is entitled to their own opinion, but i honestly can't believe this guy knows very much about skating.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 12:47:32 AM »

this is the main reason i need the ignore function fixed.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »

that frontboard at the end is just unbelievable, my friends and I went to that rail one night and we were just in shock like this is not it!!

where is that rail?

Cheapboarder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -73
  • IT'S THE GOOCH!
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »

Im not a fan but I don't see how he looks off balance or uncomfortable. That part will always be sick.

get some

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

no man that's cool. i can see what you're saying about the sameness of skating, but one thing i've found that's kinda rad is local websites like skateaz and post22 and stuff. yeah, some of the skating looks like anything else out there but after a while, you get to see the unique personalities and styles of each little scene. plus, no matter how popular skating gets, there's always going to be someone who brings a creative spark to skating and who carries that legacy of originality and personality. that's one of the things that's been getting me so stoked on skating as i mature: that i can truly enjoy skate vids, ads, whatever, that were waaaaay before my time simply because what skating is really all about is a pretty timeless thing. there are so many millions of little intricacies that make truly good skating.

something this dude obviously doesn't understand. one is entitled to their own opinion, but i honestly can't believe this guy knows very much about skating.
[/quote]

Yeah, you can always find somethin awesome in skateboarding at any moment, just like you can find somethin shitty as well. That applies to life in general, really. Thanks for those websites, I'll peep em. AZ seems like it's really coming up hard over the last few years. Yeah what you said about the intricacies of skating is perfect. I've seen busenitz flyin down the street before at mach ten and just seein the power that the dude pushes and the way he was gettin with his was enough to get me hyped for days!!

get some

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

where is that rail?

It's in Sacramento down by the J street mall, right by old Sacramento. I don't know the street names, though, sorry.

TheKarmessiah

• Rep: 23
  • YAH!
    • KARMBOOK avatar image
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »

what? john cardiel IS skateboarding. maybe you need to go pick up a new hobby, leave skating to the REAL heads. i hate to be elitist and shit, but really, this is john fuking cardiel, no fake steez, mug the camera here son. so go pop in those dew tour episodes you recorded on tape and GTFO
I'd go gay for BA.

twitter.com/karmessiah

JockoHomo

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 06:40:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what? john cardiel IS skateboarding. maybe you need to go pick up a new hobby, leave skating to the REAL heads. i hate to be elitist and shit, but really, this is john fuking cardiel, no fake steez, mug the camera here son. so go pop in those dew tour episodes you recorded on tape and GTFO

there comes a point when social niceties must be abandoned. GTFO indeed.

gravel pitch

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »
I think COTG is refering to the way Cardiel tends to lean forward and wave his arms alot, but I'm not gonna try to defend hating on Cardiel. That's just ignorant.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »
I think COTG is refering to the way Cardiel tends to lean forward and wave his arms alot, but I'm not gonna try to defend hating on Cardiel. That's just ignorant.
How is "hating" on cardiel different than "hating" on any other skateboarder?

gravel pitch

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because not all skateboarders are created equal. Cards is a legend, he's earned the respect people have for him. If we were talking about some kid whos only had one youtube part, then yea tear him apart, but you can't nit-pick everyone.

Cards is kinda on another level of skateboarding, if you're focusing on some quirks in his style then there's a lot you're not seeing.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Because not all skateboarders are created equal. Cards is a legend, he's earned the respect people have for him. If we were talking about some kid whos only had one youtube part, then yea tear him apart, but you can't nit-pick everyone.

Cards is kinda on another level of skateboarding, if you're focusing on some quirks in his style then there's a lot you're not seeing.
What puts cardiel on another level? How exactly does he transcend bad style?

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »
Because he's "better than your favorite skateboarder" you son of a bitch.
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 10:32:15 PM »
he doesnt have bad style, he has different style than what you are obsessed with. with a few more years of skateboarding and maturing to a point where your mind is a little more open you will most likely learn to appreciate him.  but then of course there is a really high possibility you are a complete lost cause and youre seriously regular.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 10:36:18 PM »
he doesnt have bad style, he has different style than what you are obsessed with. with a few more years of skateboarding and maturing to a point where your mind is a little more open you will most likely learn to appreciate him.  but then of course there is a really high possibility you are a complete lost cause and youre seriously regular.
If that's the case, Then no skateboarder has bad style. You guys really have to start thinking logically before you make a response.