Author Topic: epicly later'd pop's edition  (Read 48910 times)

dutchmastakilla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -11
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: epicly later'd pop's edition
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 12:45:48 PM »

tanhoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 12:52:06 PM »
i really liked it. i like him. hes rad

UncleBobo

• Rep: 64
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
that love line was ill
psyched on this one

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »
That was sick.

JockoHomo

• Rep: 3
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 01:19:21 PM »
He has a speech impediment and makes excuses for sucking. I don't see how you can respect this guy. I also want to point out that he had the audacity to insinuate that his part would be the only watchable part in 10 years. This dude is delusional on so many levels.

omg lolzzz so bitchy.

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »
Pops is my hero

JockoHomo

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »

Gotta say the best was all the unused Popps footage that collected over the years. So great to see that skateboarder cover, even if it wasn't the greatest quality. Is most of this footage in Finally Flared? Maybe it would be worth picking up...

Thanks O'Dell for going through with this, and Anthony for coming out of the closet so to speak. Can't wait for part dos!!!!

speaking of unused footage, was there ever any footage of this?

greentea

• Rep: 2
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »
 :D seeing that unused footy made my week, but i'd say my favorite part of that was his mellow down to earth personality

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
http://www.48blocks.com/pops.html

thanks bud. that was a good watch, i wish there were a few more pros with that frame of mind.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
 that was sick
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:25:02 PM by paraquat »

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 03:32:45 PM »
He has a speech impediment and makes excuses for sucking. I don't see how you can respect this guy. I also want to point out that he had the audacity to insinuate that his part would be the only watchable part in 10 years. This dude is delusional on so many levels.

I think youre looking too deep into this one.......thats not at all what he he was getting at in that episode

sal23

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
Does anyone of the scan of pop's most recent chocolate ad in the new thrasher "with cairo on the cover"

if i remember correctly hes 50-50ing up a 5stair handrail in nyc
shit looked so cool..

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2009, 03:43:02 PM »
Does anyone of the scan of pop's most recent chocolate ad in the new thrasher "with cairo on the cover"

shit looked so cool..

that sounds amazing, someone please scan it

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »

sal23

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »
Expand Quote

shit looked so cool..
[close]

someone should def scan it.. but since i just found my copy i took a photo

so sorry for the shitty quality

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 04:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

shit looked so cool..
[close]

[close]

someone should def scan it.. but since i just found my copy i took a photo

so sorry for the shitty quality

thats crazy, rail looks really steep, thanks for posting it

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 04:30:23 PM »
That ad is actually fucking amazing. Looking foward to seeing that in the flesh. The episode is sick as fuck too. It's here: www.oceanhowl/blogspot.com if Vice is still playing up for anyone.

Anyone else wish the next Pops part would be anything other than the fully HD Chocolate video? I'd love for Fat Bill to put out a video of offcuts, outtakes, and new shit. Dude must be sitting on a goldmine for the years he put in with Workshop etc.

JockoHomo

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »
Anyone else wish the next Pops part would be anything other than the fully HD Chocolate video? I'd love for Fat Bill to put out a video of offcuts, outtakes, and new shit. Dude must be sitting on a goldmine for the years he put in with Workshop etc.

oh yeah, shit. i forgot the new chocolate vid's gonna be all HD. are they just gonna buy bill a panasonic or what? i don't really see ty (or meza) going out to new york to film popps.

no one you know

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »
popps is sick

gravel pitch

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »
popps is sick

You say that no matter who it is, you don't even have opinions you just agree with whatever's put infront of you. Fuck you.

Pops is a loser. While the rest of the team was busting their ass to make a great video he sat around in New York being a lazy fuck. After wartching the Final Flare Documentary and hearing about the shit they went through to get the footy they wanted, then listening the Pops talk about how he'd only film once in a while and didn't take it seriously... it just confirms my feelings that he's nothing but a bum.

It's also funny to listen to him contradict himself, talking about how some people have no originality, then admitting his part was mostly basic tricks. What a prick. I'd like to hear about the exact reasons he got kicked off lakai.

sal23

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »
Expand Quote
popps is sick
[close]

You say that no matter who it is, you don't even have opinions you just agree with whatever's put infront of you. Fuck you.

Pops is a loser. While the rest of the team was busting their ass to make a great video he sat around in New York being a lazy fuck. After wartching the Final Flare Documentary and hearing about the shit they went through to get the footy they wanted, then listening the Pops talk about how he'd only film once in a while and didn't take it seriously... it just confirms my feelings that he's nothing but a bum.

It's also funny to listen to him contradict himself, talking about how some people have no originality, then admitting his part was mostly basic tricks. What a prick. I'd like to hear about the exact reasons he got kicked off lakai.

so having fun while in a stressful situation makes you a bum?
carroll even said he hated how filming became.
im sure alot of people wish "including myself" that videos would be more how they used to be
waiting 4years for a video that has had hype for 3 of those years is pretty ridiculous

gravel pitch

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2009, 05:52:18 PM »
You're regular, no one in FF was "trying to change skateboarding", that's just crap people labled on the video when everyone was hyping it up. They just actually cared about their parts and worked hard at it. And it's not like that video was some kind of revolution, the kind of tech skating you see in FF has been going on for years, just look at any of Daewon's parts since Rodney vs Daewon to present day.

Don't make excuses, Pops is lame.

gravel pitch

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
popps is sick
[close]

[close]

He has the best job in the world. He's getting paid to do what he loves. If he can't put in some work and push himself to put out a good part, then yes he's a bum. No amount of stressing out would make being a pro skateboarder not easily worth it.

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2009, 05:58:26 PM »
Pops is great.

His comment and comparison to Menikmati was spot on.
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

gravel pitch

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »
But why exactly should he "Work hard for it?" It's just a skate video, was anyone really expecting some really tech shit from Pops?

I didn't say he had to put out a tech part, but listening to him talk about how he "just stayed in new york" and "we filmed for a couple days then we wouldn't for a long time" makes me hate this dude. If everyone had his attitude FF would have been a peice of shit.

sal23

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
popps is sick
[close]

[close]

[close]

He has the best job in the world. He's getting paid to do what he loves. If he can't put in some work and push himself to put out a good part, then yes he's a bum. No amount of stressing out would make being a pro skateboarder not easily worth it.

it's starting to get fucking regular that every thread about pop's turns into an arguement over weither or not the dude is good at skating or deserves to be a pro skater

if you dont like his skating why even bother watching? or better yet why even open the thread? The title is self-explanatory

guy le douche

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »

Jimmy909

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »
His comment and comparison to Menikmati was spot on.
definitely, and that ad is amazing.

sal23

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2009, 06:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote
But why exactly should he "Work hard for it?" It's just a skate video, was anyone really expecting some really tech shit from Pops?
[close]

I didn't say he had to put out a tech part, but listening to him talk about how he "just stayed in new york" and "we filmed for a couple days then we wouldn't for a long time" makes me hate this dude. If everyone had his attitude FF would have been a peice of shit.

i get the feeling thats because ty and alot of the other ff filmers were out in cali most of the time and didnt want to come out and film him
and if they did they'd only stay a week or so
you cant really blame him that he didnt film much.
guy mariano is out in cali filming with ty 24/7 on HD cameras
and pops it out in nyc filming bro cam on new spots

i guess pops has something people want to see
seeing switch 360flip noseslide shove out on a shin high ledge doesnt make me want to go skate
seeing someone crusing down the street ollieing over bars and grinding anything insight just gets me more stoked

JockoHomo

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »

it sounded to me like carroll was pretty bummed on what FF had become. i feel like if everyone else had approached the video the way they saw fit, the video would have still been totally rad, just in a different way. that's how i saw pappalardo's comments, that he wanted his part to be true to his approach, and not beholden to the whims of all the skate nerds saying FF was going to "change skateboarding forever."