Author Topic: College drop out success stories  (Read 4755 times)

GnarlesManson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: College drop out success stories
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 11:20:01 AM »
im going to a community college right now, mostly taking classes that interest me. whatever happens from here will happens, im just gonna try to do my best.

frisco

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 11:20:39 AM »
I work in film and television in Canada, and basically NOBODY has a degree in this area. The only people who do are the certified tech engineers, but the smartest of which have been trained under someone else's wing. Most people either started out interning, have a degree in something non-related (History, General Arts, etc.)

Granted, college teaches you the basics of the Media Industry, but work ethic and advanced skills are always learned on the job. For people interested in the industry, I always advise them to intern somewhere or to shadow someone's work environment for as long as they can. Some people are good at their jobs, but the atmosphere may not be right for them, so this is why interning is best.

Some people can teach themselves, and some people are better under guidance. But always listen to every lesson of experience.

Thats what I plan on doing for the next few years, Im really lucky in that my Uncle is a director and has been working with a studio located right in Vancouver, so pending his next movie I'll be interning everyday with the Director of Photography on his next movie, which is exactly what I want to go into, cinematography, and also editing, and luckily he introduced me to an editor at the studio that i'll have connections with

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
One thing I've learned is that you take in as many connections possible. Some are useful, and some are a waste of time, but everyone is in the same boat in the same industry working for the same goals. You might learn something, you might find better work prospects, or you might waste a few weeks realizing the contact is an absolute person. You just have to get the high school mentality out of you and treat everyone the same.

The same rule applies if you freelance. Treat every client the same, no matter how much they pay you. It'll help out in the long run.

At the same time, never take any connection for granted. I've seen people act like clients need them more than they need the clients, and they go without work for months.

frisco

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »
One thing I've learned is that you take in as many connections possible. Some are useful, and some are a waste of time, but everyone is in the same boat in the same industry working for the same goals. You might learn something, you might find better work prospects, or you might waste a few weeks realizing the contact is an absolute person. You just have to get the high school mentality out of you and treat everyone the same.

The same rule applies if you freelance. Treat every client the same, no matter how much they pay you. It'll help out in the long run.

At the same time, never take any connection for granted. I've seen people act like clients need them more than they need the clients, and they go without work for months.

dont burn any bridges, was the first advice my uncle gave me, it seems to be about making connections and keeping and open mind which I may struggle with a bit because im somewhat quiet and it comes off as snobbish, but get a few drinks and im your best friend, who knows well see how it goes

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »
i just graduated a 2 year college last month. i should of dropped out when i still had the chance

tompettyandtheforeskins

• Rep: 5
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »
I've been kind of contemplating the same thing since i'm only a year off graduation. Im going to finish at this point....but with the job market looking really dismal im obviously worried. I'm focusing on the distribution and logistics side of business. I couldn't get a good job out of high school considering my lack of marketable skills in most areas. Fuck it, i'm probably doomed to a mediocre job but it's better than nothing. Shit isn't for everybody though....do what makes you happy. Plenty of successful people never went to school but the numbers are obviously really skewed in the other direction.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 10:58:30 PM »
The idea of dropping out is believing you have a better plan than you're paying for.

Dropping out with no goals results in smoking pot in your parents' basement at the age of 30.

Livin The Psychedelic Lif

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dont burn any bridges, was the first advice my uncle gave me, it seems to be about making connections and keeping and open mind which I may struggle with a bit because im somewhat quiet and it comes off as snobbish, but get a few drinks and im your best friend, who knows well see how it goes

this is true.
just be cool to everyone.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:31 AM »
here's several success stories from mine and my friend's first semester at college:

My lady friend quit after two weeks of community college to work full-time at a local coffee shop. She's owed one month's worth of wage's, and got laid off completely two weeks ago. The coffee shop went under last week and now she's stuck fighting with the NYS Department of Labor to get her back wages.

Another friend tried a semester a a community college an hour away, failed 3/4 of his classes and remained unemployed up until August. He found a steady job as a waiter at the pizzeria in town, until they cut his hours way down in the middle of December. Now he works 6-8 hours a week.

Another local community college guy (who posts on here occasionaliy) quit after his first semester to pursue a career as a DJ. He's had a DJ'ing show on the local public radio station, which has led to him DJ'ing at high school dances and completely, udderly sad local bars.

Yet another friend of mine went to a four-year technical school in western NY, quit after thanksgiving and now snorts alot of pills while watching youtube with his dad. The best part being that he totalled his mom's car last new year's eve, then totalled her new car on January 1st of this year.

As for myself, I quit before the finals of my first semester after realizing I was just wasting my money and time. Coming home to a severly-depressed upstate new york, where businesses are closing left and right and the ones that don't require bi-monthly drug tests.

Out of the five of us, 5/5 live at home with our parents and only one of us has a job that pays decently. 2/5 of us have our own car, 4/5 spend upwards of $50 a week on tobacco, and 0/5 have a bright future to look forward to. Hope that answers your question.

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2009, 09:08:50 AM »
damn son!,

it all depends on how you want to live, i wanted to live the most confortable life i could so i stayed through the shitty classes that i didn't give a fuck about and graduated.

alienlurkshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 04:48:02 PM »
im still in highschool, and im sorta planning on taking a year or two off from school after i graduate before college just to chill and work maybe. anyone successfully do this and go to college? most times people just say theyre gonna take time off and never go. i just dont want to live this whole part of my life going to school all the time
RIP Van

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
im still in highschool, and im sorta planning on taking a year or two off from school after i graduate before college just to chill and work maybe. anyone successfully do this and go to college? most times people just say theyre gonna take time off and never go. i just dont want to live this whole part of my life going to school all the time

I kinda did, the reason i went back was the fact that i thought it was better to finish school younger, and most of my friends were doing college stuff or working while i was by myself most of the time, it got kinda boring after a while. i don't know for me it was harder finding the job i wanted.

loophole

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2009, 05:17:46 PM »
people do it all the time. i reckon if you do, do at least one notable thing. you can apply to college at the 'normal' time, and then when you get in, send a deferral and almost always (as long as what you're doing has a good reason) they'll keep your spot for the following year. that way you have a year to do whatever.

the other way is possible too. i mean you can apply to college even when you're fifty, or older

masturskater

• Rep: 20
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »
It's really impossible to make these decisions because you're trying to plan for your needs years from now. You're feeling how you are now and the idea of living check to check doesn't seem that bad. I think a lot of people feel that way until they meet a certain young lady and/or receive the gift of new life. Tends to change priorities. I don't have a woman or a baby but I am definitely sick of the working man lifestyle.
exactly.

i was scared shitless about graduating.  i was an electrical engineering major who knew jack shit about what was going on.  but i passed the classes and graduated.

and now i'm happy i did.  working isn't like college.  you have the world as your reference, the company will teach you what they want you to know, it's flexiblei, t's not as stressful as being a working man, and typically you get paid better pretty good while doing the least intensive work you've done (physically speaking).  you have responsiblity now for sure, but my life is a lot easier had i not graduated.

but it's all up to you.  i totally agree with what someone else said on here.  don't fuck "future" you.  you don't know how you'll feel later.  if you feel the same after you graduate, then at least you'll have more options open to you.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 08:13:58 PM »
Getting a college degree isn't for everyone.  It will help you for certain careers, but don't think there aren't loads of people with bachelors degrees getting laid off right now next to people with highschool diplomas.

If you're not interested in pursuing a bachelors in anything, by all means, don't waste your time and your / your parent's money.  Give it time, explore other options (trade certificates, etc) and reevaluate if needed in a few years.

I dropped out of college right of the bat, worked a slew of shitty jobs and decided I didn't want to do that anymore, so I went back to school.  I know countless others that are getting by comfortably without a degree.  They aren't going to be the ones driving mercedes in a few years, but who the fuck wants to be that asshole anyway?

net lurk

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
likewise, im a junior and i plan on taking a year or two off of school also. i guess i really wont know until im ready to graduate. but at this point i am clueless of what im going to do, where im going to work, and mom on my back isn't helping AT all. wish the best of luck to you, Nick.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 11:53:23 PM »
I have a BA (Hons) in Marketing and I'm certainly glad I have it. If for no other reason than it opens a lot of doors. Not just in terms of career options, but in terms of immigration options. If you ever plan to live abroad in Asia, Europe or Australia (Where I'm hoping to live next), you are going to need a degree.

Besides, it's not like getting a degree is hell on Earth. In four years, I went to less than 10 lectures and still passed. A small price to pay to multiply the options I have in life by 100.

Do you really want to have a flash of inspiration 10 years from now about what you want to do with your life and where, only to find out that you are ineligible to even be considered because you don't have a degree.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 08:04:17 AM »
if you're going to do this, and i do recommend it, take an extended trip overseas or at least somewhere out of your comfort zone. it really helps you put things in perspective. college will be there when you get back. like people said. if you do it and sit around your home town you might as well have gone to college.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »
my neighbro dropped out and now he races in the towns local race track, now if thats not success i dont know what is

BabyKillaSeason

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
    • AnotherDudeWithABlog avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
likewise, im a junior and i plan on taking a year or two off of school also. i guess i really wont know until im ready to graduate. but at this point i am clueless of what im going to do, where im going to work, and mom on my back isn't helping AT all. wish the best of luck to you, Nick.

as a freshman in college (just finished my first semester), i would recommend that you guys go to college right after high school. I found in my first semester of college I had more free time than I ever had in high school (and I also have a job), and I skated so much more with this free time.  College isn't the drag you would expect.  Plus, if you kick college's ass and graduate when your 21 or 22, you still have time to party and shit, it's not like you have to apply your degree to a career as soon as you graduate.  Get in and get out, move on with life.

eseholmes

• Rep: 0
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »
i like the fact that people spend so much money and dont end up doing what they majored in. at work theres like 10 grads working as shitty cashiers no hours and make less than me and we all started at the same time. im just gettin an aa and gonna be a contracor.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:26 AM »
i'm assuming that success in this thread is refering to career sucess and not some hippy, self actualized notion of sucess.

there's not right route, it depends on what you want to do, the only common thread is busting your ass and that generally sucess takes time. if your going to go the college route then think it through and make sure that the career path you've choosen makes sense for the amount of debt that you will take on. these things are easy to research with the internet, take the time to make sure that you will make enough money to make it worth while. my litmus was that i wanted my starting salary to be higher than my total debt which i think is reasonable.

if you're planning to get there by working your way up then get out there, get your foot in the door and hustle like BB suggests.

and if you want to do your own thing then get a business plan together and start your own business.

but i agree with notorious 100%, it's easy to say money doesn't matter when your by yourself, for me there were definitely times that it didn't matter, but do you really want to force that lifestyle choice on your wife and kids if you decide to go that route with your life? if you are planning to have a family then i believe it's a man's responsibility to plan to provide in one way or the other. also there was a point for me where the fun and freedom of being a broke student started to feel more like being poor and i just wanted more out of my life than that.

my industry allows sucess in both ways as grim pointed out, although some jobs do require BS in either computer science or engineering a lot allow for "equivelent experience".

i personally took what i saw as the easy and fun route and if i had to do it over i'd definitely take the college route again but i'd probably try and finish a little quicker but maybe not. that shit was really fun for me but i've always enjoyed learning and slutty bitches and college has a lot of opportunities for both.

i mean do you really want to say no to this life experience?

barr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »
college has fine bitches

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 06:30:31 PM »
^^^And yes. Freshmen year in college will be the most opportune time for you to get laid in your life. Tucker Max is 110% right about this.

College is a good stepping stone to move out of mom's basement and possibly into a life of responsibility of your own.

Last year, I had a 30 year old manager (who wasn't even in my department) attempt to yell at me, until I asked when her mom was making her dinner. I won. Yes, she lived at home, and she WAS still a virginia.

Sammy

• Rep: -6
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 10:11:48 PM »
I'm a senior in high school. I had the opportunity to go to some really nice schools, but I decided to go to a state university that is about twenty minutes from my house next year instead. Luckily, my mom is moving to Texas when I start college, and she is hooking it up by letting me continue to live in the house by myself. The "expense" of tuition for a year is $4,500; I will end up making money once grants and scholarships are factored in. Best of all, the school is 70% girls, and the parties out there are known to be gnarly. The school also has some pretty ill stuff to skate and to do while on campus.

Exactly what is the downside? Free money, no responsibility or stress, and the ability to continue to maintain a social life.... if that's not good enough, it then opens doors for you later on in life. I really don't see why people don't want to go to college.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2009, 03:49:24 AM »
I've never (since I was at least 12) been stoked on anything but skateboarding and drawing shit.

I outdid both of my parents by even getting through highschool, so there wasn't any real pressure or expectations to continue like most kids have, and I flat out lied to my grandparents, etc. by telling them I was just taking time off till I figured out what I wanted to do. It's been 6 years and I still don't have a clue.

Only incentive I have to go back is to learn some misc. trade that's a little bit easier and better paying than what I'm doing now. But even then, I'm afraid it would be the same deal, some gig I don't give a shit about that I just do every week to feed and shelter myself.

Plus, I was always a shotty student, but after all these years out of school my mind has become a piece of shit, I probably couldn't hack it even through tech school, I played "brain age" the other day, and it turns out I've got the mind of a 70 year old.
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2009, 04:13:59 AM »
I'm a senior in high school. I had the opportunity to go to some really nice schools, but I decided to go to a state university that is about twenty minutes from my house next year instead. Luckily, my mom is moving to Texas when I start college, and she is hooking it up by letting me continue to live in the house by myself. The "expense" of tuition for a year is $4,500; I will end up making money once grants and scholarships are factored in. Best of all, the school is 70% girls, and the parties out there are known to be gnarly. The school also has some pretty ill stuff to skate and to do while on campus.

Exactly what is the downside? Free money, no responsibility or stress, and the ability to continue to maintain a social life.... if that's not good enough, it then opens doors for you later on in life. I really don't see why people don't want to go to college.

oh man, i envy that setup. just don't let all the pussy\partying throw you off track. the school i went to was like that, 7 girls to every 3 guys, girls dorm was a short walk from all the bars, ect... and the only problem was that in that environment, the more of a piece of shit you became, the more slamming your social life would get. like the girls seemed to like guys who were all fucked up and didn't give a shit about anything. but you sound like you got your thinking straight and it sounds like the scholarships would keep you flying straight on grades and all that.

another thing i usually tell people just starting is to not put too much pressure on picking a major, unless you're one of those driven people who've known what they wanted to do since they were 5, just take a wide variety of classes and pay attention for classes that feel like something you wouldn't mind doing\thinking about everyday for a long ass time and out of those pick the one that pays the best because one day money will most likely be something that you don't mind having more of.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2009, 08:59:46 AM »
Can someone explain me really quick how this american school system works?
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

Pelican

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »
it doesn't

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
Expand Quote
another thing i usually tell people just starting is to not put too much pressure on picking a major, unless you're one of those driven people who've known what they wanted to do since they were 5, just take a wide variety of classes and pay attention for classes that feel like something you wouldn't mind doing\thinking about everyday for a long ass time and out of those pick the one that pays the best because one day money will most likely be something that you don't mind having more of.
[close]

Agreed. I always felt bad for my engineering friends who were so drven to finish up they'd take all their electives at the community college. One of the best parts about college is getting exposed to qualified instructors across a wide range. I'll never use it outside of conversation and daydreaming, but some of my favorite classes were in Astronomy.

core classes are definitely one of the illest parts of getting a college education. i just don't get how learning about history, psycology, philosophy, etc... is all that painful. i guess it's the whole "i'll never use this shit" angle but my sister who worked her way up to managing director of a tech company, grim style, and got to where she was making big bank was constantly embarassed and insecure about not being able to casually talk with collegues about things like this. yeah, you don't directly use it but if your working with a bunch of people who are mostly college educated that shit comes up in conversation.