Author Topic: has the recession affected you or family yet ?  (Read 4459 times)

russ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: has the recession affected you or family yet ?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2009, 10:39:55 AM »
I can't afford shaving cream so I've been using hair conditioner instead.

nocomply

• Rep: 147
  • Handsome
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2009, 10:43:58 AM »
I'm one of those people that has a HUGE mortgage that I can barely afford. I built the house that I live in now about 3 years ago. When I bought the 8.5 acres that it's on, the real estate market was still really good. I factored in getting about $80k more for the house I sold. Unfortunatly that didn't happen. Pretty much as soon as we broke ground on the new house, real estate went down the shitter and all of the sudden nobody could sell anything. As the new house was getting close to being done, our old house was still not sold. We made three pretty big drops in the asking price and finally got an offer... Now we have a mortgage that's close to $400k! With my wife not working this has us living paycheck to paycheck... With all of the big layoffs in the area, it's tough to even find a waitressing job right now so financially we're treading water and on the verge of drowing any minute. I'm not complaining because we got ourselves into this postion, but I never thought things would get so bad 4 years ago. It's scary.

SleepyPeePee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »
yeah, it's all good.
odd jobs are wayy sicker anyways.. haha
doin random shit all the time with barely-to-none experience with it.
would you rather hear "woo" from the omar salazar pack? i wouldn't. their "yeahs" are genuine, and cool. "yeah" has been the battle cry of skaters for as long as i can remember.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2009, 01:07:01 PM »
I'm one of those people that has a HUGE mortgage that I can barely afford. I built the house that I live in now about 3 years ago. When I bought the 8.5 acres that it's on, the real estate market was still really good. I factored in getting about $80k more for the house I sold. Unfortunatly that didn't happen. Pretty much as soon as we broke ground on the new house, real estate went down the shitter and all of the sudden nobody could sell anything. As the new house was getting close to being done, our old house was still not sold. We made three pretty big drops in the asking price and finally got an offer... Now we have a mortgage that's close to $400k! With my wife not working this has us living paycheck to paycheck... With all of the big layoffs in the area, it's tough to even find a waitressing job right now so financially we're treading water and on the verge of drowing any minute. I'm not complaining because we got ourselves into this postion, but I never thought things would get so bad 4 years ago. It's scary.

ouch, that's like the perfect storm of getting fucked by shit out of your control.

you know this shit pisses me off. if the problem that started all this was financial markets crashing because people can't afford to pay mortages, then why the fuck didn't they just give money from the bailout to people who need help or better yet help refinance people like yourself so that they can stay a float? instead bush's bitch ass gave 350 billion to the financial sector in a way that discouraged them from helping out people like you and provided no transparancy or accountability. i mean what the fuck was that assholes problem?

nocomply

• Rep: 147
  • Handsome
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
yeah, the good news is I still have never been one day late on any payment. My credit is absurdly good. This has enabled us to refinance our mortgage this month. The new 4.something% rate is going to save me about $360 a month! Stoked on that.

But yeah.. it was crazy when I built this house, I remember they approved me for a $500,000 mortgage! I was like WTF?! There is no way I could possibly afford a mortgage that big, why would you give it to me? I asked this question and I never really got a straight answer. Now I read these articels that explain that the lending banks didn't even care if you could make the payment... they would take the loan and sell it to someone like leahman brothers... It makes a lot more sense now. It was really all just greedy/shady practices that put the economy in the place it's in today.

Good point Sleazy. Yeah there are a lot of people who could use some kind of bailout. Personally.. I just want my wife to get a job. Create some jobs BARACK!

Cheapboarder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -73
  • IT'S THE GOOCH!
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »
It's been pretty good over here, we haven't gone out to eat in half a month. Dollar menu's, generic punch, you know slight cutbacks go a long way.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »
prior to the recession, i took back 20 a night in tips for working in a bar.... this week i took back 20 for 2 nights total....  good thing i quit smoking so thats money saved...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

gravel pitch

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »
I hope I can find a job over the summer. I should be moving out by next January when I'm finished with school here, and I'll need to start saving up money. That's kind of a long way away, but if things get worse between now and then it might make it hard.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »
prior to the recession, i took back 20 a night in tips for working in a bar.... this week i took back 20 for 2 nights total....  good thing i quit smoking so thats money saved...
basically wat ive been doin more a rainy day fund, tryin my hardest to ssave that cash so i dont get fucked

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2009, 01:05:01 AM »
some really good family friends of ours had to move out of their house because they couldnt afford to live there anymore so theyre staying with us until they can find a new place to live. 
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 02:47:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
basically wat ive been doin more a rainy day fund, tryin my hardest to ssave that cash so i dont get fucked

and it sucks that i need a new board, have bills to pay and a girlfriend now....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2009, 09:33:08 AM »
I work as a special ed assistant at an elementary school and am currently tutouring a high school kid.  Doing pretty well for myself right now... the private tutoring pays particularly well but i have a feeling I'm fucked once the school year is up.

VeganShawn

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2009, 02:16:50 PM »
No. Owned ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

frisco

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2009, 03:21:54 PM »
Didnt think I would be posting in here, I had a job lined up at a local film studio that was non-union, meaning it was a great place to get started an get some experience, my Uncle has directed some features for them and told me it was a sure thing if I wanted it, today he emailed me and said that the studios going under June 30, im so bummed, if I have to go through the Union and become a trainee for 6 years i'll be pissed

Dr. Newton 2.0

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »
Yes. My mom makes a lot more money now.

Doctor Newton

« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »

You shouldn't brag about stuff like that.  You just feel rich because you wear AE clothes, but if you went with your mommy shopping you would understand the purpose of the clearance rack.

Dr. Newton 2.0

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2009, 05:44:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You shouldn't brag about stuff like that.  You just feel rich because you wear AE clothes, but if you went with your mommy shopping you would understand the purpose of the clearance rack.

Yeah, the clearance rack is hella tight.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2009, 06:47:40 PM »
Didnt think I would be posting in here, I had a job lined up at a local film studio that was non-union, meaning it was a great place to get started an get some experience, my Uncle has directed some features for them and told me it was a sure thing if I wanted it, today he emailed me and said that the studios going under June 30, im so bummed, if I have to go through the Union and become a trainee for 6 years i'll be pissed
One good thing about being a trainee though, depending on what you're doing, you can get certifications and you'll always be up to date on any technical or mechanical developments in whatever you get into, as a lot of good unions provide avenues for continuing education. It all depends on the union though, some make all of the rest look bad, but for the most part they do a lot of good work making people better at their craft, making you a much higher-valued employee. In a lot of cases, they help to make sure you don't get fucked over and you'll have an immediate resource of support should your employer act unfair to you.

frisco

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
One good thing about being a trainee though, depending on what you're doing, you can get certifications and you'll always be up to date on any technical or mechanical developments in whatever you get into, as a lot of good unions provide avenues for continuing education. It all depends on the union though, some make all of the rest look bad, but for the most part they do a lot of good work making people better at their craft, making you a much higher-valued employee. In a lot of cases, they help to make sure you don't get fucked over and you'll have an immediate resource of support should your employer act unfair to you.

being a trainee would benefit no doubt, especially at the rate cameras are changing and high definition video cameras are slowly becoming industry standard over 35 and 16mm film. however, just to get my union card is 6 grand, and i need tons of on set experience that i could have gotten starting working at this company thats now going under. I was on the fence about going the union route because my teacher is constantly telling us how you'll be carrying camera cases for 5 years before you get to shoot anything. Its a really stressful thing to try and get into and established.

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »
ive got a union job but my mom is making no money from her job right now at a hospital and her hours are being cut
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

Dr. Newton 2.0

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2009, 08:59:26 PM »
Fuck unions. They're awful.

j0rdan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2009, 09:37:07 PM »
my mom lost over $10,000 in investments

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »
I wasn't too worried about the recession and never really gave it much thought but my Dad lost his job today and now my parents said I have to get a job soon or we're fucked, I'm having a really hard time finding work right now. My mum pretty much said she can't afford to "keep" me if i'm not bringing money into the house, she said it like I was the fucking dog or something and now i'm really worried about what will happen in the next year. I'm sure a lot of people have it a lot worse than I do, but that was just my little rant.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:53:11 PM by Tarquin »

RaunchyKid

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
my mom lost over $10,000 in investments
My dad told me that something happened to his 401K money. Basically, there is nothing to look forward to when my mom and he retires. The good news is that my whole family has Chase. So, nothing should happen to our money because Chase mainly puts money on stocks from oil companies.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2009, 05:13:20 AM »
I wasn't too worried about the recession and never really gave it much thought but my Dad lost his job today and now my parents said I have to get a job soon or we're fucked, I'm having a really hard time finding work right now. My mum pretty much said she can't afford to "keep" me if i'm not bringing money into the house, she said it like I was the fucking dog or something and now i'm really worried about what will happen in the next year. I'm sure a lot of people have it a lot worse than I do, but that was just my little rant.

the difference between a recession and a depression is that it's a recession until you loose your job, then it becomes a depression...

welcome to the world of caring about shit that doesn't seem like it should matter, i miss the days of not giving a shit

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2009, 07:32:08 AM »
Two of of my 3 brothers lost their jobs, but then one found a better one a week later. So it kind of has, but in 50% good way. The other one is still unemployed and chilling in Southern Ontario for the summer at the family farm.

Currently I'm working for u of t, its pretty well insulated (knock-on-wood), but you never know what the future holds.

Good luck everyone.

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »
i have no meow mix. oh noes...

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2009, 09:25:55 AM »
my mother is a real estate agent, so she's defiantely been feelin it, and my dad works for the state of georgia so who knows that they'll do. As for me, i sell skateboards, and even though the times is tough, there is always a kid coming in wanting that shiny new clear griptape.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

fattygay

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2009, 02:14:01 PM »
if i hadn't heard it on the news and the tv everywhere i would not have noticed anything