Author Topic: Skating with an iPod - yay or nay?  (Read 6438 times)

Mullet Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skating with an iPod - yay or nay?
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »
Again, Ellington is clearly wearing an iPod while doing the gnarliest hammer in his part in Baker 3.

No friends? Rude? Dangerous? He doesn't enjoy the noises of skating? Possibly... but very very unlikely.

Or does he (gasp!) just like to hear music while he's skating? Hmmmm...

I'm sure it's nothing more than that. And if it's good enough for that gnarly motherfucker, then it's good enough for me. I'm sure exactly NONE of you would call him out in person for wearing an iPod. Or any other pro for that matter. So it's pretty weird how it bums some of you out. But whatever!

CeeyMar

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »
Again, Ellington is clearly wearing an iPod while doing the gnarliest hammer in his part in Baker 3.

No friends? Rude? Dangerous? He doesn't enjoy the noises of skating? Possibly... but very very unlikely.

I'm sure it's nothing more than that. And if it's good enough for that gnarly motherfucker, then it's good enough for me. I'm sure exactly NONE of you would call him out in person for wearing an iPod. Or any other pro for that matter. So it's pretty weird how it bums some of you out. But whatever!

yeah but hes throwing down a  hammer, he's not just with the crew and  chillin and fooling around. Obviously the music is better then trying to strike up a conversation while trying the trick  "Oh yeah man so I was totally chillin with the bros and we were getting bored so I was like....."  "brb big spin LOLOLOL" as he lands and rolls away "were getting fucked up tonight!!"

RaunchyKid

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:58 PM »
Listening to an iPod while skateboarding, around friends, is pretty scummy.

Listening to an iPod while skateboarding is personal. I don't want to get hit by a car so I don't listen to music. Also, I seem to learn new tricks quicker, if I don't have any music. But, that varies by person.

The sound of my skateboard is the best type of music. There's no cord.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
whatever,
Ipods can't possibly being as obnoxious as wearing a music vest
those dudes are kooks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTe0h53tH24
ableSkateMag.com

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »
not feeling it

wheee!

GhostBusters

• Rep: 55
  • Back off man. I'm a scientist
    • Speedhero avatar image
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2009, 09:38:35 PM »
Can't do it myself, don't care if other people do it.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2009, 05:43:48 AM »
I want to big spin something in a music vest. Preferably the Carlsbad gap.

beeda weeda

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2009, 06:25:19 AM »
its cool if you listen to huey lewis adn the news "I want a new drug" on repeat. otherewise its rude and anti social.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »

Listening to an iPod while skateboarding is personal. I don't want to get hit by a car so I don't listen to music. Also, I seem to learn new tricks quicker, if I don't have any music. But, that varies by person.

where the fuck do you live to where you always have to be on the lookout for cars? are there no spots behind buildings and shit where no cars come? i skate with music when i'm trying something that can psych me out, but i usually don't. i'll admit that it's anti-social when you're just messing around with friends, but not when you're trying something hard that you're not so confident in.

Just Green Enough

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ...but existing is basically all i do
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »
whatever,
Ipods can't possibly being as obnoxious as wearing a music vest
those dudes are kooks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTe0h53tH24

that guy with the transistor radio looked like a hardass, but he was in that commercial, so i'm led to believe otherwise.
I am in fact, a homosexual like Brian Anderson

RaunchyKid

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
where the fuck do you live to where you always have to be on the lookout for cars? are there no spots behind buildings and shit where no cars come? i skate with music when i'm trying something that can psych me out, but i usually don't. i'll admit that it's anti-social when you're just messing around with friends, but not when you're trying something hard that you're not so confident in.

Like I said, it's personal when it comes to listening to music. It works for you and like a lot of other people. As far as the car thing, it's pretty much any spot that's not in the skate park. I can't really find any good spots unless I drive around so I'll usually cruise and skate curbs and benches around my subdivision.

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2009, 05:41:17 PM »
When I skate to work I wear headphones. But skating with people I never wear headphones that shit is lame as fuck. If I want to hear music while skating with a crew, thats why we've got cars and boom boxes. Crank that shit up so everyone can enjoy.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »
Skating  by myself, definetly i never blast it loud enough so i cant hear my board though its usually just ambiance to my skating to help keep me concentrated.

IF im skating with homies, sometimes ill rock the ipod but again music is usually turned down a bit, or i rock the one head phone, fucks up the equilibrium sometimes but its completely better then repeatedly having to say "what" when someone talks to you, theres nothing worse than that. Sometimes ill forget to bring my ipod or something and it wont be the end of the world either, i dont completely rely on it to skate but sometimes it nice to have biggie or some ghostface blasting in your ear when your shredding.

I doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that people may want to talk to you at a skatepark so perhaps take out an earbud when your not rolling.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »
Why not, instead of talking... just skate? You should try it - it's way funner that way!

chordsincords

• Rep: 31
  • sorry, i ate all the dark meat
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2009, 09:29:54 AM »

i highly doubt ellington has any friends besides his dumb baby and jim greco

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »
i doubt that, ellington seems like one of the chillest, coolest guys in the industry

jalopy james

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »
nay. but i don't mind others that do it.
KFC should give cockatiels with their variety bucket, so you can eat one bird and love another.

IPODS SUCK!

• Rep: 13
  • skaters do it to fakie
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2009, 10:53:44 AM »

lenny

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2009, 03:10:30 PM »
Why not, instead of talking... just skate? You should try it - it's way funner that way!

why are you taking this so personal?  The no friends predictions hittin a little too close to home?

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
Oh yeah, you got me. You are very sharp. Except for the fact that you don't know what "predictions" means (look it up).

Idiot.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »
Yea, he is an idiot.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
I'm not bummed at all - people can do what they want, obviously. It's just that it blows my mind that the main beef with skating with an iPod is because it makes people harder to talk to. I don't want to talk to you when I'm skating. I want you to shut the fuck up when I'm skating. I don't care what you have to say. I'm skating. Whatever it is can fucking wait.

Is this not an understandable approach? Should chit-chat take priority? I fucking hope not.

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »
I'm not bummed at all - people can do what they want, obviously. It's just that it blows my mind that the main beef with skating with an iPod is because it makes people harder to talk to. I don't want to talk to you when I'm skating. I want you to shut the fuck up when I'm skating. I don't care what you have to say. I'm skating. Whatever it is can fucking wait.

Is this not an understandable approach? Should chit-chat take priority? I fucking hope not.

I think bull shitting with friends while skating is a good part of the fun. Not talking about asking them how many times they fucked this or that girl while they are trying a trick. Just when people are chilling or waiting while other people are skating the spot. Or if you are skating around the city and just going to random places its good to be able to call out a spot or let someone know they are about to get hit by a car etc.

danker peaches

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2009, 09:57:43 PM »
I do it but no one wants to talk to me at the park anyway

Marty Mcfly

• Rep: 40
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2009, 03:15:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

why are you taking this so personal?  The no friends predictions hittin a little too close to home?

Back in Timeeee...

Expand Quote
I was at a bar with some friends, and my board was sitting there. I got up to take a leak. When I emerged, all my friends had gotten up and left, and my board was GONE.
[close]

just because random people are in a bar doesnt make them your friends. its sad that you couldnt put 2 and 2 together there billy. your hair/nick still isnt funny.

Pro Baby Yeah!

spare change

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2009, 09:21:19 AM »
I love a good solo sesh with some good music.
A busy park full of tards wearing headphones can be a bit trying at times.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2009, 09:43:21 AM »
That's equal part funny and creepy.

Yeah, you got me. I have no friends. You are totally not creepy and brilliant at ascertaining random facts about strangers on the internet. You have the time.

Or maybe, rather than listening to my people yap while I'm skating, I'd rather just listen to the Geto Boys. And maybe, making stuff up about me just because you don't agree with me is some goofy middle school girl-ish shit. But hey, what else are you supposed to do? Man up? Psssh, yeah right.

Be proud! I'm loving how this is totally beyond you.

p.s. Shut the fuck up when I'm trying to skate. This isn't crystal meth, this is skateboarding.

kevbo999

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:37 AM »
I used to but now I like to hear what's going on around me.

Mevs

• Rep: 29
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »
Skateboarding to me is about turning up to a spot and talking about how good someone's style looks, or about about tight someone else's trucks are, or about if I have a lighter, or if my opinion about how well dude A landed his nollie heel fakie on the bank was, or if I know if the shop around the corner is still open and selling sandwiches, or if I know where dude got his board from because it wasn't from the usual shop, or where there's a good party happening tonight, or if the guy stood on the deck has a lighter because some litle bastard stole mine, or if I can have a swig of your water, or if I can ask 'where did you get that board from, I've never seen that before', or 'shit, I think if you move your feet a little bit to the right you'll be able to nail that easy'.

Skatepark banter is brilliant. You might make new friends, or you might find out new things about people you know and love. Skating around with your headphones on not speaking to anyone just gets you a reputation for being a cock around my my way. Just saying.
mhe-likes.tumblr.com
Instagram: @Mevs82